Re: Preserving the second amendment -Building the plastic gun

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/scien … e&_r=0

this should prove interesting as they try to screw us over

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/wea … print.html

Twenty minutes into his State of the Union address last week, President Obama entered the realm of uber-geekery — three-dimensional printing. The magical devices capable of printing prosthetics, violins and even aircraft parts have the potential, the president said, “to revolutionize the way we make almost everything.”

Forty miles away from the Capitol, in Glen Burnie, Md., Travis Lerol is proving Obama’s point — with guns.

In a spare bedroom, where an AR-15 rifle leans against the wall, Lerol is using a 3-D printer no larger than an espresso machine to make plastic rifle parts and ammunition magazines in between tea sets and chess pieces. The parts print, layer over layer, creating objects like an ink-jet printer etches words.

Manx wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/wea … print.html

Twenty minutes into his State of the Union address last week, President Obama entered the realm of uber-geekery — three-dimensional printing. The magical devices capable of printing prosthetics, violins and even aircraft parts have the potential, the president said, “to revolutionize the way we make almost everything.”

Forty miles away from the Capitol, in Glen Burnie, Md., Travis Lerol is proving Obama’s point — with guns.

In a spare bedroom, where an AR-15 rifle leans against the wall, Lerol is using a 3-D printer no larger than an espresso machine to make plastic rifle parts and ammunition magazines in between tea sets and chess pieces. The parts print, layer over layer, creating objects like an ink-jet printer etches words.

Did you write that? Nice copy work Manx.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I'm good with words but not that good with words. besides there isn't a misspelled word in the article so its not mine lol

55 (edited by jerseydevil 2013-03-11 16:32:37)

Making weapons is as old as humans using tools.  Anyone that ever set foot in a metal shop can put an edge on something.
People have died from being stabbed with weapons made of paper.

I find it strange that people focus on 3D printers in this use as an unusual issue.
In a way it is not healthy.  That amused focus will eventually lead some regulator to believe that 3D printers attract weapons makers.

There is really nothing special about using a 3D printer for this purpose.
One could manufacture a light duty machine shop themselves and do the very same thing only out of metal or stock.

Then there's the whole 2nd Amendment issue.  Let's all get real here.  These toy guns are not going to stop a drone strike.
Further there's plenty of evidence that slave owners wanted the 2nd Amendment to insure they could carry weapons to collect slaves.

Personally I don't care if people want guns or to smith their own guns.  I just think that too many people don't know what they are doing.
I also think they don't really understand what they are talking about and that makes for a very tense stand off.

If they take all the guns away it's well proven you still have plenty of options to defend yourself.
After all anyone creative enough to use this technology like this is creative enough to figure out more ways to cause harm.
I am pro-gun ownership, but realistic that it's a profit center for business that capitalizes on other people's lack of skill.

Like any other business.  If profits ever got thin surely gun manufacturers would just obsolete models.

That aside, there is absolutely no way *anyone* can stop functional models for weapons from being transfered around.
There are so many ways to do it.  For that reason alone I'd rather large, obvious sites not post this stuff out where the press can run with it.
Let the average shmuck learn something to find it.

Danger: 'Addams Family' sense of humor.

jerseydevil wrote:

One could manufacture a light duty machine shop themselves and do the very same thing only out of metal or stock.

...except that 3D printers bring this rather complicated metal working process down to simply click of a button and then letting a machine do all the work. 

For those of you who think you can make the same thing in a machine shop just as easily, you all need to spend some more time in a machine shop...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

57 (edited by jerseydevil 2013-03-11 17:30:34)

DePartedPrinter wrote:
jerseydevil wrote:

...except that 3D printers bring this rather complicated metal working process down to simply click of a button and then letting a machine do all the work. 

For those of you who think you can make the same thing in a machine shop just as easily, you all need to spend some more time in a machine shop...

Okay when I'm done in my forge I'll go into my shop wink
A .22 is more than sufficient to kill someone and plenty of people have made poor man's 'Saturday night special'.
You don't even need a whole shop for it if you don't mind risking taking off your hand.
Was I the only kid that played with doing this when I was younger?
Even the original article to this topic refers to 'zip guns'.

If you print the *entire firearm* with for example an SD2 I doubt you'll end up with something as durable as your average assault rifle (200 rounds is really nothing to brag about and that wasn't done with a cheap printer).  Surely the odds are most modifications you can print this way that actually hold up could also be sculpted or poured in aluminum easy enough.

Apples to apples.

I grant more expensive printers with laser sintering could produce adequately reliable fire arm parts.
Still I'm not convinced that doing that produces anything less traceable or more useful to someone with really bad intentions.

Never let us mind the damage someone with a good old fashioned Jersey cocktail can do.  Maybe we can 3D print the can?

If you think about it for a bit it's sort of interesting that in one topic people are worried about having to make adjustments to their SD printer and in the other people are extolling how easy it is to just go and buy a cheap printer to print a firearm.  Most inexpensive printers require a little thought to get them working.  Spend a lot of money on a really good printer and quickly you'll find yourself getting a visit from the maker that has you by the balls and is under pressure from the Feds (and that has obviously happened already http://www.webpronews.com/diy-gun-proje … ed-2012-10).  More importantly the transaction itself is probably large enough to result in bank papers being filed.

being from sandy hook this topic is still very controversial in my town but like all good pro gun enthusiests I do plan on creating some parts when i get my printer. Beleive it or not there are still lots of pro gun owners in my town even after what happened

SykoDJ wrote:

being from sandy hook this topic is still very controversial in my town but like all good pro gun enthusiests I do plan on creating some parts when i get my printer. Beleive it or not there are still lots of pro gun owners in my town even after what happened

That was nto soemthignw e doubted the problem wasn't that there were gun owners out ther or enthusiasts. Its that the media has its meme and marching orders and they are hellbent on portraying what happened in as bad a light as they can to guilt people into doing as they wish. the problem is there are to many stupid people who watch tte news once aweek and then have access to a voting machien or telephone. While the people who dopay atention or feelacertain way have real jobs they have to go work and so these thigns slip their mind... goon over to def cad syko they seem like nice fellas willing to help out anyone who wants to learn

60 (edited by jerseydevil 2013-03-13 15:30:56)

The media is there to 'sell' the news.  Sandy Hook captured attention.   The good or bad nature of the news is still news.

The idea that you can protect your gun ownership rights by buying a printer: good or bad it sells printers.
(That is the idea presented here right?)

Odds are still good that someone that buys the printer for that purpose won't be successful with it.
It is unlikely a refund for the time or effort will be offered.

Business continues.

Politicians discuss controls on certain weapons.  Those weapons fly off the shelves.
Obama has probably sold more guns than anything in 15 years and does not speak all that often on the topic.

Business continues.

If you really think about it....how much money do we spend to protect ourselves from this and how often does it happen.

Manx wrote:
SykoDJ wrote:

That was nto soemthignw e doubted the problem wasn't that there were gun owners out ther or enthusiasts. Its that the media has its meme and marching orders and they are hellbent on portraying what happened in as bad a light as they can to guilt people into doing as they wish. the problem is there are to many stupid people who watch tte news once aweek and then have access to a voting machien or telephone. While the people who dopay atention or feelacertain way have real jobs they have to go work and so these thigns slip their mind... goon over to def cad syko they seem like nice fellas willing to help out anyone who wants to learn

I agree completely perfect example bidens "video game blame" even though its not video games fault yet thousands of people now believe it is

update...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/0 … 69102.html

"In a March interview with CNN, Wilson said he hoped to have a printable gun ready by the end of April.

While Wilson was sparse with details, he did tell Mashable that the prototype would be a handgun consisting of 12 parts made out of ABS+ thermoplastic, which is known for its durability and is commonly used in industrial settings. The firing pin would be the only steel component of the 3D-printed gun, which will be able to withstand “a few shots before melting or breaking,” Mashable reports."

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

DePartedPrinter wrote:

update...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/0 … 69102.html

"In a March interview with CNN, Wilson said he hoped to have a printable gun ready by the end of April.

While Wilson was sparse with details, he did tell Mashable that the prototype would be a handgun consisting of 12 parts made out of ABS+ thermoplastic, which is known for its durability and is commonly used in industrial settings. The firing pin would be the only steel component of the 3D-printed gun, which will be able to withstand “a few shots before melting or breaking,” Mashable reports."

This being said more than likely this will be a 1 shot derringer style 22 that must be taken apart to be reloaded

Just ran across this place over at Gunco http://www.advancedrifles.com/3d-printe … rsion-2-0/ They will be releasing a printable jig soon for 80 percenters smile Looks pretty cool and unlike my metal jigs if it wears out I can just print another one smile

printed a working clip for my friends gun and suppressor fully functional

SykoDJ wrote:

you did not print a suppressor as that would be illegal you printed a flash hider

Manx wrote:
SykoDJ wrote:

you did not print a suppressor as that would be illegal you printed a flash hider

Close enough

You also did not print a clip, unless your friend has an M1 Garand. You printed a magazine.

Oh, a flash suppressor... as long as you follow the rules noise suppressors are legal in most states smile

On another note what kind of flash hider did you do... I tried a couple and they didn't last more than 3 shots :0

ronsii do you have any photos of what they looked like post destruction?

71 (edited by Manx 2013-05-03 17:33:50)

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1549 … -been-made

worlds first entirely printed 3d gun

photos
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe … un-photos/

nickythegreek wrote:

ronsii do you have any photos of what they looked like post destruction?

No, I am real bad about taking pics when I get busy... but I will print some more next week and try them out again wink

Defense Distributed has announced they will be releasing the Liberator, a fully printed pistol, soon. They also posted pictures, see Defcad.org twitter feed.

SD2 w/ Heated bed. Mods: E3D MK5, Lawsy MKV, Glass Bed, printed filament stand

Well they have released the stls for it and it fires a single .380

Manufacturing a firearm without a license is still illegal, as far as I am aware.