Topic: Taulman releases 6 new materials

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 … -materials

That's pretty neat.

Re: Taulman releases 6 new materials

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

I fear that I'll be forever Kickstarter & IndieGoGo poor - but at least I'll have all the goodies that comes with it!

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake

3 (edited by n2ri 2014-08-23 09:26:55)

UMmm am I seeing this right? this company is right in my neighborhood and I never knew? anyone else see what suburb of St Louis, MO they are from? why cant I get to test their stuf on my SD2? and how can all these materials be  non-toxic or no fumes as specs say? Nylon??

also this statement on their home site though likely for satisfying their legal dept. is a bit disturbing;

"Terms and Conditions of taulman3D.com
By using the taulman3D.com website, you agree to comply with and be bound by the following terms and conditions:
Contents of taulman3D.com is for your general information and use only and is subject to change without notice.  Materials sold on this website should only be used by experienced individuals or under the supervision of experts.  Use of the products sold on taulman3D.com is entirely at your own risk.  To the fullest extent permissible by law, we hereby disclaim all responsibility, risk, liability, warranty invalidation, and damages arising out of any harm, loss, injury, or death resulting from the use or misuse of our materials or products.  Materials, and information provided on or through taulman3D.com are provided "as is" without any warranties of any kind.  It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any materials or information made available through taulman3D.com meet your specific requirements and purpose.  We expressly exclude liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the product descriptions presented on this website.  Material spooled weight may vary slightly from advertised weight and material diameter sizes are nominal due to the extrusion process.  We reserve the right to limit the order quantity and refuse service to any customer.  You are responsible for paying any import duties and taxes on your order.  You are responsible for contacting us to initiate any claim for damaged or lost shipments.  You are responsible for any return or repeat shipping charges for packages returned to us due to an invalid or insufficient address.  All use of taulman3D.com and its products shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the statutes and laws of the State of Missouri.  Any action seeking legal or equitable relief arising out of or relating to the use of taulman3D.com will be subject to the jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts of St Louis, Missouri.  taulman3D.com reserves the right to change, suspend, or discontinue any product or aspect on taulman3D.com at any time without notice."

you have to click ok to even ask a question. this is standard for LLC company's as they take no responsibility for products/services guaranty. have seen others with similar disclaimers, even a popular low cost fire arms company.

just concerns me as a potential purchaser how it sounds like they have little confidence in their own products when stating this upfront. our world has become so lawsuit happy its scaring off good businesses. yet outside countries import with no worry's of such reproductions.

dont get me wrong I love the idea of this manufacturer being so close to me and the expanding materials for us to use. just a shame they have to distance themselves just due to so many looking to blame others for their own misstakes or carelessness

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Their products are, by industrial standards, largely experimental... It'd be stupid of them not to issue disclaimers and warnings.

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Serin wrote:

It'd be stupid of them not to issue disclaimers and warnings.

+1
Ever noticed how your coffee says "Warning" on it? wink

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

6 (edited by adrian 2014-08-23 14:02:49)

n2ri wrote:

UMmm am I seeing this right? this company is right in my neighborhood and I never knew? anyone else see what suburb of St Louis, MO they are from? why cant I get to test their stuf on my SD2? and how can all these materials be  non-toxic or no fumes as specs say? Nylon??

You've been living under a veritable rock if you've never heard of Taulman - or more appropriately the people the have and do work with them to develop their product.

I live 10,000 miles from them and are well versed in their product, and their FDA approval etc. But then again; I'm no instant expert in the field like some others consider themselves based on their posts; so do disregard anything I have to say on the matter.

adrian wrote:

But then again; I'm no instant expert in the field like some others consider themselves based on their posts; so do disregard anything I have to say on the matter.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/hue.gif

adrian wrote:
n2ri wrote:

You've been living under a veritable rock if you've never heard of Taulman - or more appropriately the people the have and do work with them to develop their product.

I live 10,000 miles from them and are well versed in their product, and their FDA approval etc. But then again; I'm no instant expert in the field like some others consider themselves based on their posts; so do disregard anything I have to say on the matter.

heard of em just never knew they where right close to me as very few 3D companies are

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Backed via $40...feel like a champion big_smile

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

$20 a roll looked amazing till I saw the rolls are 1lb. But that is still decent price for these materials.

Oh, as for the warning: All 3D companies should be putting out a warning. The ones that dont are more shady than the ones that do.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Yup, $20/roll is about half retail price going by their T-glase.
I've been put off so far by the cost, but have been looking for some more fun materials to play with.
I'm in for 6, let's see what happens... smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

Good to see more stuff from Taulman. However, a lot of this seems for extremely specific use. Honestly, the vast majority of us will never need this kind of diversity. But the fact that it exists is great - Two years ago there was maybe one type of nylon brand and the rest was all PLA and ABS. For progress!

SD2 w/ Heated bed. Mods: E3D MK5, Lawsy MKV, Glass Bed, printed filament stand

Proteus wrote:

Good to see more stuff from Taulman. However, a lot of this seems for extremely specific use. Honestly, the vast majority of us will never need this kind of diversity.

Taulman really needs to give some application specific examples of what each filament could be used for. The current descriptions are very broad and meaningless to your average consumer imo.

If anyone wants to split 6 or 12 rolls, preferably someone in the Denver area. PM me.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Some of these are easier versions of Nylon, ABS, annd PLA. Or better adhesion. Or non-curling. These are not meant to be object specific, or process specific, but better materials than what people are used to.

Once people jump on the bandwagon, then they can figure out which ones to release with colors.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

I imagine you can probably dye the Nylon.  Anyone want to take an educated guess at the others?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

I imagine you can probably dye the Nylon.

There is a youtube video of someone who used natural filament and several dyes to make a tie-dye filament. No results on moisture issues though.

Dying nylon,
http://richrap.blogspot.com/2013/04/3d- … nt-in.html

Richrap guy did it a while ago; it's nice.

At this rate I don't think this project is going to meet its funding goal.  I think taulman over estimated how many people use materials other than ABS/PLA.

Filastruder

Taulman didn't overestimate, he had to hit minimum order quantities. Usually folks buy this stuff by the train car - he wants to buy 2 tons of each. It's hard to even get a quote from a polymer manufacturer for an order that small.

This is how Kickstarter is supposed to work, with reasonable goals to get the job done - not $50k and then "aw crap we don't have enough money to pull this off".

Maybe they should do a poll and see what materials people are most interested in...Then do this whole thing over again with only 2 or 3 new materials. If they know that most people are only interested in tritan/etc then why even bother launching other stuff at this time?

Filastruder

Well, that comes down to MOQs with the extrusion houses. They don't much care for orders of a few hundred pounds of this or a ton of that. Even 12 tons - they could crank through that in a week or two on a single extruder.

I guess you're right though, 3 materials with 10-15% higher cost per spool might have been better.

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Maybe they should do a poll and see what materials people are most interested in...Then do this whole thing over again with only 2 or 3 new materials. If they know that most people are only interested in tritan/etc then why even bother launching other stuff at this time?

I wouldn't be surprised that even if the KS fails, it succeeds in giving him accurate data for what folks are interested in.  Polls are great, but people tend to go 'ooooh, I want that!'.  This way he gets an idea of 'If I am going to spend my money, this is what I would buy'.

true. I'm sure they dont want to make 4 types of Nylon but which ever type customers want to use. also the flexible materials are gaining interest

Outside of comments on the project, they won't get any survey results. The project rewards are just "choice of x spools" to be determined after successful funding.

I do hope they produce a survey to gather that data, I'd expect them to have more success on that path.

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake

thanks for sharing the link its awesome