51 (edited by LdyMox 2014-08-01 14:49:09)

Re: ColorFabb Bronzefill

Hmm I realize now that I see the two photos on my PC screen as opposed to my phone, they don't look much different. LOL. Well I assure you in person it is shinier.

My current shining process for this piece:

- I use a dremmel tool at low power and mainly the Wire brush attachment to clear away the main layers.

- I use a flap wheel(sanding attachment) for some areas I can reach to sand more aggressively but not too aggressively. Always keep that dremmel tool moving and don’t press too hard.  You can probably substitute the tool for more and carefulsanding.

- I used 600 grit and then 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth

- I use the wire brush(brass) attachment again to shine and smooth.

- I use my Zona 37-948 3M Wet/Dry Polishing Paper (though I imagine other micro mesh type sanding paper would work also) and polish it down the various grades. Ok I admit I often skip a level or two hehe.

** I still haven't figure out anything for the most hard to reach places sadly. And in some areas I end up with some layers visible still because I am afraid of just ruining it. Though sometimes that is a good thing as it adds some contrast.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

It might be worth looking into a vibratory tumbler for those.  Harbor Freight has them for about $160.  I don't know how well it will hide layer lines, but it might be good for putting a shine on the pieces without you doing all the work.  If you don't want to spend that much to try it out, you can get some tumbling media, put it in a bucket with the print, and pack it into the dryer with a bunch of pillows and quilts on "air fluff".  Just make sure the lid is on tight and run it for at least 2-3 hours.

I have considered a rock polisher, I have seen on twitter that people got good and shiney results from them with bronzefill. Not sure I want to invest in one because of the cost and only some items might fit in there (after all whatever you print needs to fit in the rock polisher). But if I decide to I'll be sure to post my results smile For now it's via dremmel and by hand.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Have you tried the Dremel cleaning and polishing set? It has a polishing compound and several different polishing attachments. It looks like some of them should let you work in the recessed areas.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

I tried one polishing compound and it only tinted the item red; But it may have been from the cheap dremmel toolset I had and not the good dremmel stuff. I am going to order the Dremmel polishing kit or pick it up soon as I have been eyeballing it for the last week.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

56 (edited by LdyMox 2014-08-01 19:48:29)

Also it can be said, maybe I need to spend more time polishing it...or get a rock tumber hehe

I also belive I have some jewelers rouge making it way to me soon via UPS. I hear that creates good shine.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Enjoyed reading the review adventure of the bronze filled color fab. Looks like interesting material.
But I am just getting  into the 3s printing and want to cut my teeth on cheaper stuff first.
Curios where are you getting the material from.
I just ordered a roll of the CF Black from printed solid,com in Newark Delaware.
I am a metal worker at heart so can see myself using the bronze fill at some point.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I ordered the bronzefill from printedsolid.com. But they are out of the 1.75mm variety until colorfabb finishing making more which is said to be late summer.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

59 (edited by adrian 2014-08-02 03:10:16)

LdyMox wrote:

Also it can be said, maybe I need to spend more time polishing it...or get a rock tumber hehe

I also belive I have some jewelers rouge making it way to me soon via UPS. I hear that creates good shine.

The red stuff in dremel kits is Jewelers Rouge.. Jewellers Rouge is basically a polishing compound, with no cutting action.
Blue is similar as well, with the added advantage of working well on Plastics (red will not do terribly much to plastics).
Given that bronzefill is a combo metal plastic - I'd hazard a guess that best results would be achieved with Blue... and probably why the red did nothing for you in previous tests (due to the plastic content in bronzefill)

Tammy late summer will be here before we know it.
as far as polishing there are options. you mentioned rock tumbler . an open bowl  vibrator could be an option these are used commercially to finish small plastic parts.  so not a crazy idea
if you own or have access to a 6" bench grinder lowes carries a couple grades of buffing wheels as well as a variety of buffing compound they even have a 5 grade variety sample pack. the wheels are $5 each and IIRC the sample pack was something like $8 maybe $10
Matt at printedsolid  has been very helpful getting me started.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

have you thought about trying soda blasting?

I don't have a bench grinder, nor a buffer except for the dremmel tool. I never heard of soda blasting. I have cosidered a rock tumbler but they are pricey for a large one, but I might get one at some point.

http://i.imgur.com/XhcPyzN.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

63 (edited by Tin Falcon 2014-08-03 16:31:08)

What do you consider large size and pricey?

this one will hold 5Lbs of medium at the sale price of $50

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11479.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal … 67617.html

and 18lb cap unit is more than 3 times the money the cost is proportional to the volume of the unit .

A 6" buffer from Horrible fright will run you $40 and there are no guards to get in the way.

If you want to get into all the corners you wil likely need a tumbler.
Tin

I can do $50, but the one you linked says $164.99.

I have also been playing with some dremmel type detail sanding attachments called Detail Abrasive Brushs and/or radial disk brushes which has been much better at getting the nooks and crannies.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Sorry  I fixed the link

Tin

Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/JvuIwtO.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Bender Bending Rodriguez!!!!!
haha awesome!
I get paid 3 times this month, so I'm stocking up on some filament....expect some of my result posts soon smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I look foward to seeing others results...at the rate I have been printing this stuff I'll be out by next week hehe.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

soda blasting is like sand blasting but with a fine powder instead of a course sand. can be cheap options and the auto recycling cabinets get expensive

FYI.  A tumbler and colorfabb bronzefill seems to work just fine. I saw one or two videos on twitter of people who tried it. I just don't see the links offhand. If I find them I'll post the link.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

One thing I can report is that red or green polishing compound seems to do nothing really for the Bronzefill, even brasso does not do much. Nor does a plastic polish liquid I had from my resin work. I have a small pack of 6 polishes coming and i'll see what if anything takes.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

More polishing done

http://i.imgur.com/XJjwKZp.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Awesome Work!

That looks like an artifact taken from the hold of a treasure ship...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Thanks.

If anyone is wonder what that slighty green color is in the cracks it was failed polishing attempts that have not come fully off yet.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

Thanks.

If anyone is wonder what that slighty green color is in the cracks it was failed polishing attempts that have not come fully off yet.

I think that adds to the charm!
Just looks like natural oxidation.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions