Topic: Nylon filament question(s)

I have been finding more benefits printing some stuff in nylon, but I had a couple questions before I made the plunge.
1) Nozzle size. Does this matter?
2) Hydrogen cyanide - I've read that Taulman Bridge does not have/has very low levels of toxins. Can this be verified? My daughter is usually around when I am printing, so safety is a concern.
3) Bridge, 618, 646. What are the key differences?

Sorry for the stupid questions. New to this area smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Re: Nylon filament question(s)

AZERATE wrote:

I have been finding more benefits printing some stuff in nylon, but I had a couple questions before I made the plunge.
1) Nozzle size. Does this matter?
2) Hydrogen cyanide - I've read that Taulman Bridge does not have/has very low levels of toxins. Can this be verified? My daughter is usually around when I am printing, so safety is a concern.
3) Bridge, 618, 646. What are the key differences?

Sorry for the stupid questions. New to this area smile

1. In my experience it should not matter.

2. Read this http://www.instructables.com/id/Is-3D-P … HCN-from-/

3. I have printed about 10lbs of nylon and my current go to is 618.  I have played with 645 and think the 618 works better as a general purpose nylon. Check out the nylon thread for more info http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Temperature is the big key when working with nylon. Highly recommend an E3D.

What are you trying to print in nylon?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

3 (edited by AZERATE 2014-06-22 03:58:54)

Thanks for the response and especially the links! Cannot read tonight due to fatherly duties sad But I really appreciate the leads.

I do party/tool rental. So between all the applications of that and being a musician (nylon HIGHLY useful there), various household, maybe some interior automotive, but especially certain designs I have brewing that require better structure. My current ABS prints are good. Don't get me wrong!
But with one design I have in mind, it must be stronger than ABS even if just a little bit. Said design is a tool for road construction. So heat resistance, durability, resistance to high humidity/some rain or moisture, as well as stiffness. I have done this in non-printed metal parts, but am looking to rapidly replicate replacements if needed.
Hope this helps understand my line 3.

And yes, I am the proud owner of TWO E3Ds!!! big_smile

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

I am currently testing Taulman's Bridge which is Nylon. 
First thing to note is it will stick to glass (big plus) but I find a little Elmers glue stick is required.
Second as with most nylons is that you need to print slowly.  like 10%-15% of your your usual ABS speeds.
Third is that it really absorbs moisture.  Even fresh out of the package it needs to be dehydrated.
As far as fumes I know the claims and can say from experience that you can not smell a thing which I think is great.  But that doesn't mean it isn't giving off fumes it just means you can't smell them wink
I will let you know once I have had a chance to play with it more.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I appreciate it smile