1 (edited by Kellez 2014-05-31 14:19:38)

Topic: Mankati 3D printers

Hello everyone

i am currently searching for a good 3d printer to buy...after a good search on line i have decided to buy the mankati 3d printer full-scale XT. The reason is due to the large build volume, high print resolution, double extruders and of course all these at a very low price compared to other printers.

For the price of $1500 i think this is the best 3d printer, can anyone prove me wrong please? i need your feedback on this, my search is only limited on the specifications given by each manufacturer.

also is there anyone here that actually owns a manakti 3d printer full-scale XT? i really want to hear more about this printer

Thank you everyone

Re: Mankati 3D printers

AZERATE wrote:
Kellez wrote:
AZERATE wrote:

Thank you ronsii

Whats your story???

My "story"? That is a rude way to drag someone into a tift.
I said that because Soliforum does get hit with quite a bit of spammers. And many act like consumers when they are actually distributors. I hope you can see the importance of announcing that.
I have never seen your threads on any other site, so I am trusting a highly active user.

And My story is I enjoy long walks on a moonlit beach, spicy foods, and discussing history, philosophy, and mythology. big_smile

this is the thread on 3dprinter board http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php? … TI+PRINTER

Kellez has not spammed anyone yet or violated any rules so for now he can stay...

Lets get this back on topic please.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Hey Kellez, I see this kinda got out of hand... my reply was based on what me and a buddy were chatting about on 3dprintboards he had informed me that you were reposting after the original posts got deleted and that it looked like spam so I check it out and see the same post.. well my spam-o-meter goes off and I wrote my post in hasty antispam fashion unfortunately. So since you are apparently not spamming I offer my apologies for thinking you were and posting to that effect and look forward to discussing the printer you have decided on smile

I have seen pictures of this before, but no personal experience.

From the webpage:

Steel body.
Ballscrew Z axis.
Tantilus design
Silicone heatpad
Metal bowden extruder

I cannot find a single printed part on this machine. It looks like they made all the right decisions when designing this machine. I would even say it has the potential to be better than the $1200 Flashforge which is made from lasercut wood.

But the lack of public information or reviews means it is yet unproven. Personally, it looks pretty decent from a manufacturing point of view. So much better than all of these garage built printers that hit kickstarter every week.

It looks like it is manufactured right, and uses the right parts. But does it work correctly? That is the big question that cannot be answered until someone buys one.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

I prefer the rostock max v2 to this.  It's a kit, but it only took me a week to put it together.  Added a second extruder and spent a while (a couple of weeks) dialing it in, but it has a bigger build platform and ran me just under 1400 (second extruder and shipping).  I guess if you are looking for a printer with a minimum of initial setup the manakti is a viable choice along with the Flashforge Creator X for 1299.

ronsii wrote:

Hey Kellez, I see this kinda got out of hand... my reply was based on what me and a buddy were chatting about on 3dprintboards he had informed me that you were reposting after the original posts got deleted and that it looked like spam so I check it out and see the same post.. well my spam-o-meter goes off and I wrote my post in hasty antispam fashion unfortunately. So since you are apparently not spamming I offer my apologies for thinking you were and posting to that effect and look forward to discussing the printer you have decided on smile

hello ronsii, i can understand why you rushed into to such a reply to my thread but i am no distributor just a consumer....anywaydont worry about it, apology accepted smile

I'll let you know in a couple weeks how well the Mankati works, I just ordered one and it should be here in 7 - 10 days. I've basically reached the limit of how far I go with my SD3, it now bears little resemblance to what originally came out of the shipping carton although it's a real workhorse as it now sits. I typically run the SD3 anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day pretty much everyday and seldom do I have to shut down for maintenance.

My biggest problem with the SD is the bed just isn't large enough for some of the pieces I'm printing and turning things diagonally will only gain you so much on length while losing a lot of useable width. The other problem is lack of a second printhead for soluble support material. I've designed and printed an entire dual head carriage assembly for the SD utilizing a pair of Jheads and geared Bowdin extruders mounted on the back but haven't installed it due the fact that would decrease the printable real estate on the bed even further and some pieces are already using every last MM of travel as it is.

Right now the SD is running well with a fully enclosed and thermostatically temperature controlled build chamber using an E3D and single Bowdin extruder, short of getting some longer rails and building a new frame/enclosure I've maxxed out the build capability of the SD, time to try something dual head and a bit more "industrial".

8 (edited by Kellez 2014-06-12 20:16:18)

I hope you will be more satisfied from your new printer....You must be really excited while waiting for your new toy, i hope everything goes well with the order. Did you order it directly from Mankati through alibaba?

If you like doing unboxing videos please make one for the mankati, i haven't seen one yet...also keep us updated on your experience.

also if you want to you can register in the mankati forums to post  your experience there where other people can see it so you can back up the product. It would be really nice to see a big community behind this printer, i think it deserve this.

Hi there,
I have bought a Mankati XT printer about a month ago.
It's printing as I'm writing this email.
Obviously, there are few things that could be improved, but overall the quality of the hardware is pretty good and solid.

I still have to master the dual head printing technique, but my experience so far with single head PLA printing is pretty good.

Software and initial setup were pretty easy too. It came from China very well packaged. I did order it directly with Mankati , dealing with Jacky.

P.

OK, so I've had the Mankati on my bench for a week now. First let me say the framework and mechanicals are about as robust as you'll find on a consumer 3D printer, you would actually have to try rather hard to break 98% of the printer. I think there's a lot of potential in this machine, unfortunately like 99.9% of the consumer machines on the market it has it's share of warts and while it can print right out of the box, don't expect great quality prints.

The major downfall of this printer are the hotends, by the far the absolute worst I've ever had the displeasure of using. I have yet to start or complete a print of any size without having to deal with clogging or failure to start feeding at all. That's beyond the fact that one was roughly 1mm lower than the other so the first time I tried to print anything it was dragging the nozzle of the lower head through the filament that it had just laid down. To even get to the point where I could get a reasonable print using one nozzle I had to disassemble the dual hotends and shorten one of the peek barrels to get them to match heights, there is no mechanism to adjust the height of either in the as-built configuration, a must IMO if you're going to have dual heads.

The other issue with the hotends is the factory supplied fan shrouds have two outlets, the top one aimed at the peek barrels and the lower at the print bed. Normally this would be a nice feature IF the second fan didn't run all the time with no way to turn it off, the crap peek used in the hotends requires cooling 100% of the time they're heated lest they become puddles on the printbed. If you use PLA exclusively it's not that big of an annoyance but it makes printing with ABS impossible as the print is cooling and starting to lift before you get 10 layers down on the printbed. A couple hours redesigning and printing new fan shrouds so they only blow over the hotend barrels fixed the problem of not being able to use ABS, probably could have gotten away with just changing the one on the fan that runs all the time and left the other for cooling PLA prints though I rarely print anything in PLA that needs to be cooled while printing so keeping the two barrels cool seemed like a better use of both fans.

The other thing that really doesn't get high marks from me is the fact the printer uses an Arduino based board and presumably a modified version of Marlin firmware but not any version that is open source as far as I can tell, you get the firmware in hex file format from Mankati and forget about being able to make changes. Since the base printer is essentially an Ultimaker clone it can be run on the Ultimaker 2 version of Marlin if you know enough about what you're doing to make the necessary changes to suit the Mankati.

It also uses a Mankati specific version of Cura and having spent a year with Repetier Host and Slicer I'm not loving the supplied interface, doesn't have quite the same configurability that I get from my SD3 and Rostock Max on R/H and Slicer. I did try running a print that had been processed with Slicer and it does work, just need to spend some time figuring out the proper setup for the Fullscale to make it work right.

So overall it is a well built printer and doesn't suffer from any of the mechanical issues I dealt with on my SD3 in its first weeks. The hotend problem is being taken care of as I type, a pair of E3D V6 hotends on the bench and an adaptor to mount them to the Mankati printing on the SD3. The software thing is minor as far as I'm concerned, the hotends are the bigger problem and I think once that's taken care of this is going to be a really good printer.

Since I was asked in a PM what my experience has been with the Mankati I figured I should post an update here on what has taken place since I last posted about it. This is the summary I sent as a reply to the PM...

Hopefully you will have a better experience with yours than I had with mine. So far I have removed the factory supplied control board and LCD in favor of an Azteeg X3 Pro with Viki LCD and swapped the factory glass bed for a 1/4 inch thick piece of MIC-6 aluminum topped with borosilicate glass. That is above and beyond swapping the factory extruders for a pair of E3D V6.

From the start I had problems with the printer resetting and randomly rebooting, checked the wiring and reloaded the firmware after I got a copy of the correct code from Mankati, what they had posted on their website wasn't for the Fullscale XT even though that was what it was linked to. The final straw with the controller was after it completed a small print, rather than doing a proper shutdown it homed the carriage and then went into thermal runaway. Fortunately I was sitting right there in the room and noticed both extruders were doing imitations of an upside down volcano with copious amounts of smoke pouring out of both. I quickly hit the power switch to shut it down and noticed the extruder temps were well over 300 degrees by that point. 

So I'm not sure if the issue was a defective main board or bugs in the proprietary Mankati firmware but I knew right then I could NEVER trust it to run unattended as it was. Rather than go back and forth with Manakti and spend who knows how much time trying to figure out exactly what the problem was I simply yanked the factory electronics and replaced them with open source parts that I know will work reliably. Haven't had any problems since the swap, the printer has successfully completed a number of 6 to 8 hour jobs without a glitch.

Once I got the electronics sorted I still was having a devil of a time trying to resolve what I thought was a print bed leveling problem. No matter how I adjusted the distance between the bed and extruders I always got inconsistent layer thickness for the first couple layers, bad enough that it caused the extruder to stop feeding filament at times even though the gap measured OK at the 4 corners. Turns out the surface of the factory glass plate has more hills and valleys than the Rocky Mountains, when I finally got fed up with the failed prints I checked the flatness of the glass and immediately it became obvious what the problem was. The glass was wavy enough that all it took was a decent straight edge to see the highs and lows, no need to go any more granular than that. So next fix was remove the glass, detach the factory silicone heater (which works quite well by the way), and replace it with a 1/4 inch of cast machined aluminum plate (Alcoa MIC-6) and a 3mm sheet of borosilicate glass plate on top. Immediately the layer thickness issues went away and it has been turning out high quality prints ever since using the Azteeg board, Marlin firmware, and Repetier host software.

Other than that it's a very robust and capable printer...

This will probably be deleted soon, but I wrote about my experience with this printer on the mankati forum (forum.mankati.com/forum)

TL;DR

I've bought the Mankati FullScale on the 23rd of July and until now I haven't been able to use it once. The printer was delivered with the glass of the print bed broken and a missing filament motor. Mankati support sent the missing motor but only the glass part of the print bed. When I tried to change the glass I noticed that the previous piece of glass broke at the screw holes so I realized that this was probably the cause of the damage in the first place.
When I contacted Mankati Support to ask the return of the printer they simply denied (again, the printer was delivered with internal damage and missing parts). They also told me that if I broke the replacement glass they sent, it would be my fault and they will not replace it again.
So now I'm stuck with a $2k piece of metal garbage.
Be aware and avoid this low quality product.