1 (edited by Jason 2012-11-27 19:54:04)

Topic: Is my ATmega 1284P-PU dead?

Since Solidoodle has decided fulfilling new orders is more important then resolving problems with the current install base (like a bad bootloader on the 644P) I went ahead and purchased the ATmega 1284P-PU from here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanguinololu-AT … 1089468676 

I attempted to install it last night but it will not connect with pronterface or accept new firmware

This is what I know:

- I did install it with the correct orientation (not upside down)
- The original 644P still works when I re-install it.

- I get the following error in python when trying to connect to the printer (with pre installed firmware):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_core.py", line 1466
0, in <lambda>
    lambda event: event.callable(*event.args, **event.kw) )
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_controls.py", line
1850, in AppendText
    return _controls_.TextCtrl_AppendText(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\encodings\cp1252.py", line 15, in decode
    return codecs.charmap_decode(input,errors,decoding_table)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x8f in position 118: char
acter maps to <undefined>

- When trying to update the firmware I get the same sync error which I believe could pretty much mean anything.

Is there anyway way to verify if I received a bad chip OR if I didn't seat it properly and destroyed it when powering up?

Re: Is my ATmega 1284P-PU dead?

Which instructions did you follow to set up the new microcontroller?

I hope you understand that despite having Marlin pre-installed, it is a version setup for other printers, not the Solidoodle.

You must update your firmware. If you are having trouble with that, we can't help until you answer the first question.

3 (edited by Jason 2012-11-27 20:15:43)

Correct, I understand that I need your newest firmware to have a fully functional printer. But I was under the impression you should still be able to connect even with other firmware?

After not being able to connect I then attempted the firmware upgrade using your prepackaged arduino 0022 and your latest firmware (thank you by the way).

What "instructions" I used.... I guess technically I didn't use specific instructions, I had read about 10 different instructions and just attempted it based off memory.  Which consisted of selecting 1284P and uploading the marlin.PDE and attempting different combinations of when to hit reset.

You are mostly correct. The printer will work fine with the standard 644P microcontroller.

When you change to the 1284P, it has Marlin installed but the version is configured for another Reprap style printer. Basically things like the bed will be set to the wrong size, meaning you might have the print head smash into the frame due to the wrong coordinates. The baud rate might be set differently in the version that came on the 1284P too, meaning Repetier-Host/Pronterface may have trouble connecting.

5 (edited by Jason 2012-11-27 22:03:21)

The baud rate is a interesting possibility, baud rate is set by the firmware?

edit: Just found the baud rate in configuration.h

edit again:  I think you are exactly right, now that I look at the ebay picture of his pronterface menu it has a baud rate of 115200.

When I get home i'll attempt other rates.  Thanks!

Just confirmed Baud rate was 115200 and after a few more reset combinations got the new firmware loaded.  Thanks!

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/575/upda … ware-woes/

I have a topic on attempting to update the firmware on the standard 644P microcontroller that came with the solidoodle2. We came to the conclusion that the bootloader isn't working. I wonder if the lower baud rate would work for updating the firmware on the 644p though.

I'm not basing this on any knowledge, just trial and error, mostly error. I have ordered the 1284P and once that's working I'll give it a shot unless someone tells me I'm going to burn down my house trying a lower baud rate.

-Ty

In Jason's case the 1284P he ordered already had a version of Marlin configured for 115200. Worth a try though.

Ty wrote:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/575/upda … ware-woes/

I have a topic on attempting to update the firmware on the standard 644P microcontroller that came with the solidoodle2. We came to the conclusion that the bootloader isn't working. I wonder if the lower baud rate would work for updating the firmware on the 644p though.

I'm not basing this on any knowledge, just trial and error, mostly error. I have ordered the 1284P and once that's working I'll give it a shot unless someone tells me I'm going to burn down my house trying a lower baud rate.

The baud rate issue was specifically when trying to connect with pronterface to the chip I bought on ebay. After having trouble upgrading the firmware I was concerned I may have destroyed the new 1284P by seating it poorly. 

My firmware upgrade issue was more related to not trying enough reset combinations to get it to successfully load.  The reset combination I eventually used successfully was from wiki.solidoodle.com