1 (edited by Ty 2012-11-17 19:11:40)

Topic: Updating Firmware woes

So I am actively looking for a solution. I am sorry if it is listed somewhere and I have missed it so far. I figured if nothing else maybe the community could point me in the right direction to diagnosing my issue.

I HAVE installed a newer version of arduino a while back. I have read that you must downgrade. I am operating under the assumption that you can have multiple versions of arduino on one PC in different folders. The key is to use version 0022 and not the others.

Please see included photo for images explaining by number what I am running into. Thank you for your time.

http://i.imgur.com/wyIYO.jpg

-Ty

Re: Updating Firmware woes

Hopefully yours is a simple one. You should have the Sanguino with 644P option selected, not 1284P (unless you have put one of those in to handle the upgrade to a Panelolu).

Still no luck, I tried the top 3 sanguino options..

http://i.imgur.com/1b9bR.png

-Ty

Have you tried not pressing anything on the hardware; all I have to do it hit upload and it works...if I do anything else it won't work. The wiki has the firmware guide I wrote based off of what I know and the specifics from Ian and Lawsy.

5 (edited by Ty 2012-11-17 19:40:12)

No dice. Still getting the same error

"
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
"

Ill check that wiki and go over it with a fine toothed comb.

My arduino folders are residing in my C:/ not in Documents and settings folder. Could that have something to do with it? ( i wouldn't think so )

also the power cable is disconnected , only usb connected ( just mentioning all the variables I can think of. )

also no plans yet for panelolu

-Ty

Ty, please check this page out: http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware

Checking it out, I was there earlier. Going to go through this step by step , verifying everything is working. Thanks guys.

-Ty

Things I've tried,

-re-installing python ( verified it is infact 32bit )
-deleted non 0022 arduino version in a folder on my C drive
-downloaded the 3 zip files from http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware and followed the instructions.
-tried the 3 methods or reset / upload mentioned
-tried multiple usb ports ( front of pc, rear of pc, monitor usb ports connected to rear of pc (i know thats a no-no, ie, dont go through hubs) )

I will keep trying the reset/upload methods for the next hour or so. Then I'll try on crazy and see how it fits.

I have emailed Solidoodle support as well with a link to this thread. If I have any luck I'll be sure to report my findings. Thanks for all the help chaps.

-Ty

Dont know if this helps, but holding SHIFT+upload button in arduino prints out diagnostic output. Here's what arduino had to say:

Binary sketch size: 52398 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)
C:\ardiuino_022_solidoodle_v002\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\ardiuino_022_solidoodle_v002\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega644p -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM5 -b38400 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\ty\AppData\Local\Temp\build2941766406531077677.tmp\Marlin.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "C:\ardiuino_022_solidoodle_v002\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port            : \\.\COM5
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 38400
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done.  Thank you.

-Ty

I've done some quick googling and some people have had success with this type of thing:

Whenever I've had that problem, the following seems to have worked:
1. Unplug Arduino from USB.
2. Exit Arduino IDE.
3. Wait until the device doesn't show up any more in Windows (5-10 seconds, depending how fast the computer is)
4. Plug the board back in, wait for the device to show up in Windows.
5. Launch the Arduino IDE.
6. Try uploading.

Very occasionally I'll have to reboot between steps 3 and 4.

Hey, still no luck. Tried restarting and tried multiple restart/upload techniques. Still no luck.

I'll keep googling myself but yeah, seems like the only tips out there for this issue are reset techniques and usb plug in/out techniques.

-Ty

When you guys hit the restart button does the illuminated LED blink? Mine is solid no matter what.

-Ty

Probably wont help, but I have had to switch cables many times with arduinos to get sketches uploaded. May be worth a shot and I am sure you've got quite a few sitting around to try.

jooshs wrote:

Probably wont help, but I have had to switch cables many times with arduinos to get sketches uploaded. May be worth a shot and I am sure you've got quite a few sitting around to try.

Yeah, worth a shot, but still nothing. Good idea though.

The machine is working, I've printed with it, I just read that you should update the firmware for better results. ( pre-caching gcode is better etc..)

So I'm not totally dead in the water. My main goal was to calibrate the 100mm filament extrusion. I believe you need to flash the firmware to do that, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

-Ty

15 (edited by lawsy 2012-11-17 23:01:02)

Have a look at my replacement hot end guide for an alternative way of storing calibrations without touching firmware. It's the last step with the screenshot. This will allow you to do exactly what you want in the meantime.

You can use the extrusion multiplier in Slic3r to do that... I don't think there is a way in SF, but I can't remember for sure. By the way, Solidoodle said a handful of printers went out with bad bootloaders which may be your problem as far as flashing the sketch.

jooshs wrote:

You can use the extrusion multiplier in Slic3r to do that... I don't think there is a way in SF, but I can't remember for sure. By the way, Solidoodle said a handful of printers went out with bad bootloaders which may be your problem as far as flashing the sketch.

Very good to know that there was a handful of f printers that went out with bad bootloaders. I'll be sure to mention this to solidoodle support.

I'll look into the alternatives in the mean time. You guys rock, thanks for all the help. If any ideas come to mind that I should look into trying please let me know.

-Ty

I could not bootload with the original 64P .. bought the panelolu kit with the 128 and bootloading worked flawlessly on the twice I have used it so far with the new micro.
panelolu kit means the new calibration settings can be set on the panel and saved saving having to upload for things like calibration settings , I did not try 'not resetting' with my original, that may have done the trick.
thanks for the shift-upload comment, did not know that one, may come in handy later.

I ended up putting in the 1280 pretty much straight away. I had a few problems with the original, but I didn't persist for more than half an hour as i always intended on putting on the panelolu. Had no issues at all with the new chip.

That's good to know that the new chip works better, also good to know others have the same issues with the original chip.

If I hear back from support I'll be sure to follow up and consolidate anything I've learned from this experience.

-Ty

It might be nice to point out at this stage that the 1284P microcontroller required for the Panelolu is completely compatible with the firmware in stock configuration. If you want to buy a replacement microcontroller, why not buy a 1284P (with bootloader already on)? It will work flawlessly in the meantime and give you space for upgrades later on.

22 (edited by Ty 2012-11-19 00:15:05)

I did a bit of looking around for the 1284P micro-controller. I must admit I'm still new to a lot of the hardware side of this stuff.

Can I just buy a 1284P micro-controller, (microchip thingy), slap it into the sanguino, flash it , and go from there?

If you want to answer this post with a link that explains it feel free. I know its a bit off topic.

Also, I've been trying to use slic3r today, seems like before it prints, the print head gets stuck in the +Y +X corner (North-East standing infront of the printer) I'll keep digging, links are welcome as well. I hope it's not something I'd have to fix with a firmware upgrade wink

-Ty

The 1284P is a direct replacemrnt and all that needs to happen is to select the correct profile in Arduino IDE.

As for the print head sticking, if you are using my improved start and end g-code, go to that thread and see the note I put about fixing the code for the new versions of Repetier-Host/Slic3r. If you are not using it, try it and see if it works any better.

Awesome, I'll be sure to give that a shot Lawsy. A big thank you to everyone. As a noob here you've sure made me feel welcome. You wont hear from me again in this thread until I hear from Solidoodle and their prognosis of the issue. I'll sum everything up once that happens.

Thanks again!

-Ty

So solidoodle support sais it's probably the bootloader, as we were guessing.

They ask if I have an AVR programmer, I don't, but I think the option of getting a new chip seems the better idea here.

Things I've learned,

-Hold Shift while clicking upload buttno to get more info out of the arduino app.
-bootloader isnt working.
-1284P chip is compatible with stock config.

Q's for you guys,

Which website would you recommend I pick up one of these 1284P micro-controllers from? I'm in Toronto Ontario if it helps. I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Once I have the chip I just pop out the old one, pop in the new one and flash it in the same method as I was attempting for this current chip?

-Ty