Topic: Bay Area Maker Faire GTG

Today and tomorrow The Maker Faire comes to the Bay Area.

I already purchased my ticket and will be attending on Sunday.  If there are any Soliforum member that plan on attending tomorrow, let's see if there's any interest in a short social get together to talk about what we've seen, what's new and so on.

Please chime in on this thread, and we'll set up a time and place.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Bay Area Maker Faire GTG

pirvan wrote:

Today and tomorrow The Maker Faire comes to the Bay Area.

I am planning to be there tomorrow as well.  Not sure of my schedule yet though.

Not enough Bay Area makers I guess. 

Enjoy your ay at the Fair TealVince, and whomever else is going.

I went on Saturday. Guess it was alright. You guys see anything special?

I saw a lot of delta type printers, tons of traditional  (cartesian printers), and one very impressive Sterolithography printer.  Not the FormLabs, that was actually disappointing.  The one I was impressed by was the XFab.  Fantastic resolution, near injection molding quality.  Check it out at http://dwslab.com/xfab/

Also the new Ultimaker 2 was quite impressive.  Probably the most compact machine with a large print surface (It looked like a 10" x 10" build platform.  Very professional looking.

Other than that, nothing earthshattering.  I was hoping to find some cool scanners, but nothing really other than maybe Fuel 3D.  Lots of CNC machines though.  Unfortunately not many that could be called true milling machines.

pirvan wrote:

The one I was impressed by was the XFab.  Fantastic resolution, near injection molding quality.  Check it out at http://dwslab.com/xfab/

Did they say when this was expected to go on sale?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

7 (edited by pirvan 2014-05-21 22:19:38)

They didn't have an exact date, but somewhere around September. 

Time to start saving?

pirvan wrote:

They didn't have an exact date, but somewhere around September. 

Time to start saving?

I'd prefer if my work pays for it but if not I might have to figure out a way to justify dropping 5k on this.

Filastruder

Yeah, I know what you mean.  My wife would probably shoot me or divorce me.  Either way, she wins.

The xfab looks nice. To bad it costs so much and cartridges are damn expensive. Didn't even notice it while I was there. There were so many 3d printers there. Its surprising that people are even trying to break into the market... its way over saturated right now with little differentiation. Some just look nicer than others.

Should setup a soliforum booth and display some things next year. This board comes up with enough interesting ideas.

muddtt wrote:

The xfab looks nice. To bad it costs so much and cartridges are damn expensive. Didn't even notice it while I was there. There were so many 3d printers there. Its surprising that people are even trying to break into the market... its way over saturated right now with little differentiation. Some just look nicer than others.

Should setup a soliforum booth and display some things next year. This board comes up with enough interesting ideas.

Interesting idea.  Anyone know what the Faire organizers charge for a booth?

Think it might be free. That or we could get solidoodle to sponsor us tongue

Entry Form Types
Maker Exhibit: Individuals, groups, schools and organizations that would like to demonstrate what they make and/or how it works in an all-weekend exhibit space; interactive exhibits are encouraged. For maker groups, please have one point person to coordinate your efforts. No fee for standard Maker Exhibits. Maker Exhibit can also include these two sub-types:

◦Non-Profit and Cause or Mission Based Associations, Institutions and Organizations: In an effort to respond to requests from a variety of organizations that would like to participate in Maker Faire, we have created a special category where organizations can qualify for special reduced rates to participate in Maker Faire based on their annual budget. (Please note that this fee is due for a 10 x 10 space only and does not include electrical, internet or other requirements.) Complete the Maker Exhibit Form, and we will contact you with details. This statement does not apply to makerspaces or hackerspaces, which receive free exhibit space at Maker Faire. If your organization cannot afford this fee, please continue to fill out the application, indicate you are a Non-Profit or Organization and provide details in the space indicated. We will take this into consideration while reviewing your application.

◦Commercial Makers: Individuals who would like to sell or market products along with demonstrating what they make at their maker exhibit. Submit a Maker Exhibit application and indicate that you are a Commercial Maker. There is a fee of $475 for a standard set-up (fee due May 1st). Please note, established companies or commercial entities do not qualify as Commercial Makers; we have great opportunities available for you—please see Sponsors.

muddtt wrote:

+1

Filastruder

I wanted to be there so bad.  Had a business meeting last minute though.  Seems like I missed a lot judging from photos posted online sad