1 (edited by swiftimundo 2014-05-08 16:02:48)

Topic: I don't know what's going on here.

I've tried adjusting the flowrate, but that didn't really seem to do anything. I've adjusted the filament size in slicer. I've been printing fine for a while with slicer set to 3mm filament, despite the fact that I use 1.75mm filament. Was poking around slicer and noticed this, I thought the field just reset itself to default (3mm) for some reason, so I switched to the  "Solidoodle 1.75 filament" save in slicer. This is when I noticed things weren't working right, so I switched back to the default filament settings. Things seem a little better, but still are definitely not right.

Post's attachments

2 - 1FZKaty.jpg
2 - 1FZKaty.jpg 632.08 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: I don't know what's going on here.

I realized the filament size on mine as well. After I changed it, it made diference to say the least.
What are your feed and flow rates at right now?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

They were both just set to 100, but shortly before that pic was taken I moved the flowrate all the way up to 150.. Didn't really seem to make a difference.

Start by setting it back to 1.75 that is the filament your using and it is a known factor.  Then work your way through proper calibration and focus on extrusion steps per mm.  Then extrusion multiplier.  Also make sure your nozzle is set at .40 and that extrusion widths are set to .48.  That should get you a lot closer than you are now to a successful print.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I don't know where I find the extrusion steps or multiplier settings are, are they in slicer? I can't seem to find them in slicer or printer config in repetier..

Once you've set your filament diameter to 1.75 (should actually measure this and enter that number)
Then you'll want to set nozzle diameter to .40 here

http://i.imgur.com/p7cZR4b.png

Next is your extrusion widths and you'll want to use .48 for most of these lines

http://i.imgur.com/rKA8pG6.png

Next is the steps per mm you should follow these instruction to determine the correct number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGdMc2ebPo

You'll need to enter them by going here

http://i.imgur.com/Y13xtrT.png

Then go to this screen (disregard the 485 that is highlighted)  your numbers should be real close to 100.

http://i.imgur.com/gRUgqPL.png

Then you need to do extrusion multiplier or flow rate by following this link.
You will notice that they are working with .42 width, that was for the older .35 nozzle.

http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … flow-rate/

That should just about cover it but if I missed something let me know.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Wow very helpful answer. Thanks! I was under extruding by a bit. We will see if that helps things.

8 (edited by swiftimundo 2014-05-09 00:28:15)

Ok so extruder steps calibrated and its still doing what it was doing before. Sometimes it prints very thin and sometimes broken lines. http://i.imgur.com/AYJJ2J2.jpg ugh. This is getting more and more frustrating. It seems like none of the changes I have made have done anything. I have all the changes that were suggested in this thread applied currently. The pic above is the first layer of a raft. Ideas?

Lots of suggestions where would you like me to start?
Is your extruder stripping the filament as it goes thought the drive gear and tension bearing?

10 (edited by swiftimundo 2014-05-09 00:29:48)

Yes actually it is... should I loosen it a bit?

Ok I loosened it and I'm still having the same issue as the original pic. Although the first layer looks much better, and there doesn't seem to be any filament being scraped off by the drive gear.

Usually that indicates a partial clog there are many posts on how to clean it out.  You want to make sure those teeth are nice and clean and the tension is adjusted so it holds as good as possible.  What temp are you running it at?

This looks pretty much the same as the issue I had with mine a month or so back.
Somewhat of a clogged nozzle from what I could tell, fixed it by replacing the hotend.
Failing that Grab some very thin wire(guitar string high E works) and some acetone(if using abs) and poke the wire whilst its hot and try to clean as much crap out as possible.
The acetone can be used to soak the nozzle and barrel to soften the goop in there.

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

I hate to say it but instead of being frustrated every time you sit down to do something you enjoy.  You might consider upgrading to an E3D all metal hot end.  Once it's set up right you can pretty much count on your printer just working every time.

I'm going to try some piano wire tonight, I want to fix this soon because I'm trying to print something for my brother who I'm seeing this weekend. I don't see him very often.

I will definitely look into an E3D, but I have no idea what sort of things to look for. Is there a benefit of direct drive vs bowden?

Your current setup is a direct drive.  A Bowden setup moves the motor to a fixed position and feeds filament though a tube.
So the one your most likely looking for is the Direct Drive for 1.75
Good luck with your cleaning efforts.

You would want 1.75mm direct drive, that's what Solidoodles use.

Do I need a new power supply for an E3D, or is it compatible with the stock controller board?

The power supply SD ships is near its limit already. You should not need one with the E3D, but it is not a bad idea to upgrade.

swiftimundo wrote:

Do I need a new power supply for an E3D, or is it compatible with the stock controller board?

I ran mine for about 2 months on the stock power supply. After that, the supply started giving up. It still ran, but lights on the printer flickered and the bed didn't want to get and stay up to temp. I got an upgraded PSU for about $30 on Amazon and my problem disappeared.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

21 (edited by swiftimundo 2014-05-09 23:24:41)

wardjr wrote:

Usually that indicates a partial clog there are many posts on how to clean it out.  You want to make sure those teeth are nice and clean and the tension is adjusted so it holds as good as possible.  What temp are you running it at?

I'm running at 195c with ABS

You might try 205-210 just don't let it sit idle.

wardjr wrote:

You might try 205-210 just don't let it sit idle.

When I first got the printer that's what I was running at.. but I was getting horrible warping.

ughh... So I cleaned out the extruder with some guitar string. Took the whole extruder assembly apart, heated up the hotend, ran guitar wire through it, put everything back together, and now it doesn't want to feed filament through.... I've adjusted the arm and I can get it to go through a few millimeters and then it gets stuck again. I really hope I didn't screw anything up.

I know because along with so many others I've been there and done that.  The last thing you want to do after all that hard work is admit defeat.  Tim (elmoret) could have you a new E3D in short order and I understand that spending more money is never fun.  Your SD should work, you've done everything right.  The fact is that stock hot end simply sucks!  I can feel your frustration from here.  I have been running my first E3D for close to a year now and it just works.  Very few users punish a hot end like I do and I never even think about it.  What kind and brand filament are you using?  I had a roll of SD red that no matter what I did even with the E3D it would fail.  I finally gave it a toss and never looked back.  I did the same with my stock hot end on both of my SD3's.