Re: Solidoodle announces Highres printing

Is the high-res profile exclusively for ABS or would it be possible to use PLA?

I think they will focus on ABS since that's what they sell on their site. But minor adjustment with temperatures will do the trick for PLA (haven't tested it)

They're working on the installer for the profile as we speak, so the future is near:

Another shot from their Facebook-page, this looks very promising:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/616560_402338719834725_1603354561_o.jpg

Solidoodle 2 - Repetier Host V0.82 - Slic3r 0.9.7

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/616560_402338719834725_1603354561_o.jpg

This level of detail is insane! I hope this can be done on the SD2.

...sativas are for smoking!

They are teasing pretty hard. Is there an official 100 mikrons Profile for Skeinforge?

My question is why they need an installer at all?  Would we not just import the ini or equivalent?

WhiteStar01 wrote:

My question is why they need an installer at all?  Would we not just import the ini or equivalent?

They would prefer something my grandmother could use. Installing an ini could cause more support calls.

Hope they offer a normal profile to import- I don't want their installer  making a mess of my functional system.

pretenda wrote:
WhiteStar01 wrote:

They would prefer something my grandmother could use. Installing an ini could cause more support calls.

Yes this. We are trying to make things very easy for the everyday user.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

creationblur wrote:

This level of detail is insane! I hope this can be done on the SD2.

It was done on an S2.

Heyllo solidoodlesupport, So i was just wondering, Since a lot of us are printing at .1mm now, would it be possible to have the STL's for the printed pieces that come in the printer? (extruder mount, Z axis mounts... etc.) I think it would be nice to have those pieces redone at .1mm. They would be stronger and look nicer at the same time.

Very nice! Can't wait for the profile to be released. I got great results from Ians .ini file. My SD2 put my friends' RepRap Prusa to shame!

...sativas are for smoking!

MeshMoth wrote:

Heyllo solidoodlesupport, So i was just wondering, Since a lot of us are printing at .1mm now, would it be possible to have the STL's for the printed pieces that come in the printer? (extruder mount, Z axis mounts... etc.) I think it would be nice to have those pieces redone at .1mm. They would be stronger and look nicer at the same time.

We do not provide those STLs at this time.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

sad

MeshMoth wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

sad

Draw them yourself and then you will have a copy to print.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

An idea is that one of us (I can look at it) makes a 3D-model and then makes a 2D-drawing which he shares here. Then people can measure their part and compare. Then the middle values can be used... I don't think SD would share their STL's yet, I can understand that I'm a startup-company.

If they don't want it shared, I don't think we should make it public.  If you make it yourself they can't stop you but I wouldn't post up hacked STLs because I don't want them backing off supporting this community.

Yeah, I can see that. Then we can just wait for release files.
Still Waiting for the release of the installer smile

68 (edited by Aron 2012-11-30 23:09:22)

Ah Ha! Oh, I can just add support into the model.  Sometimes things stare me in the face and I have know I idea they are there.....That seems so simple. 

The trick now is..... How do we design the support material???  I can't control the flow rate, so I need to figure out what the minimum mesh design is.  Are there any other designs that aren't simple x/y rectagular grids? 

I think the main design questions are:
1.  What saves the most printing time?
2.  What saves the most material?
3.  What is the easiest to remove/what impacts the part surface the least?

69 (edited by rpdlasjem 2012-12-01 14:43:22)

wow... awesome..

All this highres talk really intrigued me and dared to me do things that i wouldn't have done until now with my printer..

attached pic shows two printed owls with a dime in the center for comparison:
- left=0.01 mm
- right = 0.1 mm

Perhaps 0.1 mm thickness is too old now wink let's talk about 0.01mm

-------------------------------------
<Correction>
turns out I was using the same 0.1mm profile for the owl on the left as well. Regardless I am attempting 0.01 at the moment...

Post's attachments

DSC00307.JPG
DSC00307.JPG 3.19 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-12-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

With some temperature adjustments the high res profile Ian used worked perfectly fine with PLA as well. I just wished I hadn't bought natural colored PLA because it's so hard to see the fine details.

pla hi res

rpdlasjem wrote:

<Correction>
turns out I was using the same 0.1mm profile for the owl on the left as well. Regardless I am attempting 0.01 at the moment...

those results are great
Do you have to alter the bed height/nozzle start position when printing with this profile? or is this still set to 0.3?

How is the official Solidoodle .1mm Slic3r profile working for everyone?  I haven't gotten my printer to produce a decent print with it yet.

Did you have to change your extrusion multiplier, or other settings, to get it to work for you?

I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and I've spent literally all day trying to get it to work.....

Aron wrote:

How is the official Solidoodle .1mm Slic3r profile working for everyone?  I haven't gotten my printer to produce a decent print with it yet.

Did you have to change your extrusion multiplier, or other settings, to get it to work for you?

I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and I've spent literally all day trying to get it to work.....

Aron,

My squirrel (STL) didn't turn out as nice as the one Solidoodle posted, but it is definitely an improvement over what I was doing before.  I finally got Ian's dial indicator mount to be snug and stable and plan to do all of Ian's calibration steps again and redoing my z-backlash cap so that I can feel confident about the feed rate, bed level and wall thickness before asking for some pointers on other mechanical issues that could be popping up.

Right now my issue with .1mm prints has to do with weird plastic buildup on the external perimeters on layers with that are have even a slight overhand.  But these only really seem to appear on the front left and the back right of the prints.

Aron wrote:

I printed a yoda today the size of a nickel. Turned out pretty good. I did place a fan on it to help with the overhangs. I think the .1mm profile is decent, I was happy with the results.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

danny wrote:
rpdlasjem wrote:

<Correction>

those results are great
Do you have to alter the bed height/nozzle start position when printing with this profile? or is this still set to 0.3?

It was still 0.3mm. But that was with Slic3r. I am now using Kisslicer and that slicer does not seem to have that kind of feature.