Re: Solidoodle announces Highres printing

IanJohnson wrote:

Can you post a picture?  It would be interesting to compare since they are from different slicers.

Sure. This is using your settings exactly - I was going out to dinner and didnt have time to change any of the filament settings, and i also haven't calibrated my extruder yet, so my best guess is i can get it a lot better if i fix those up. Also, I recently changed from black filament to this yellow, and i keep getting black sections in my print, and also it caught a bit of the slag that was left over on the outside of the extruder as well.

What scale did you print yours at and I will give it a shot again. This one is about 38mm across at the shoulders.

Post's attachments

IMG_2467.jpg 1.75 mb, 4 downloads since 2012-11-24 

IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg 2.23 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Sure wish I could calibrate my machine, hopefully the new ATMega 1284P WITH a BOOTLOADER that I had to buy gets here before the release. Guess I should have spent a lot less time dreaming someone would answer their email and ponied up for one a long time ago.

Thanks for uploading your profile Ian.

Attached is my print of yoda-lite.stl at .6 scale using Ian's 1mm profile without adjusting flow rate or filament diameter. Yoda is having some fuzzy rogue slop but not always.. specifically yoda's right shoulder and eye areas came out of the best over any other segment. Chin and back left shoulder are the worst.

Anyone have any pointers?

Post's attachments

Photo Nov 24, 3 01 25 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 24, 3 01 25 PM.jpg 1.75 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-25 

Photo Nov 24, 8 38 34 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 24, 8 38 34 PM.jpg 1.82 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-25 

Photo Nov 24, 8 44 15 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 24, 8 44 15 PM.jpg 1.83 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-25 

It's hard to say without flow being right.  You can match your E steps/mm to mine by adding M92 E109 to the beginning of the gcode.  It will last until you reset or power off.

You guys are just taunting those of us still waiting on our printers... ehheheh
Good work!

is this going to be a skeinforge or slicer profile?

I've got slic3r profile already worked out at 0.1mm that works fine.
but I've decided that I prefer skeinforge as a slicer as the code that comes out the end is easier for me to understand (and reposition models to avoid my beds deficiencies).

I started testing a 0.1 and a 0.05mm profile for skeinforge, but it's just a pain to use.

danny: I talked to Solidoodle Support on Skype saturday, and he told me that they will use Repetier and Slic3r.
I'm very excited about this, but we just have to wait and see. Wonder if they will add some new features or just tweak those settings as it is.

Solidoodle 2 - Repetier Host V0.82 - Slic3r 0.9.7

I just got my SD last week and have been playing with it ever since. Will I have to update the firmware to do this or will I be able to do this with my " straight out of the box" firmware?

I was really excited to learn about the transition towards slic3r........  And then I discovered it's support material function sucks.  It's not adding support material to the outside of my design.

Unless overhangs are a lot easier at .1mm res, lack of a functioning support material function, makes this program nearly useless for many parts.

Anyone run into similar issues?  I have the latest version of everything.

Aron

Have you tried changing the settings for support? Altering the angle at which is kicks in is a good start. Use the g-code preview in Repetier-Host to visualise the changes.

I have tried the profile posted by Ian. The slicing looks allright, when I load the model, it's displayed in the middle.

But when I click print, the printerhead races to the frontern left corner, the V-Belt is slipping and it doesn't seem to work as (simple as) I hoped it would work.

My questions are the following:

- Is there a "plug and play" 0.1mm Slic3er Profile, which is ready to print right away? (I tried several,.. all of them did the same. I don't want to try until my printer eventually breaks).

- Is there any Firmware update necessary for High-Res prints?

Hello,
I am trying to print a "simple" cylindar.

It must be sliced with Skeinforge because it needs support material (due to a rounded bottom and overhanging flange at the top).

BUT, I keep getting the following memory error from Skeinforge.  I think I am somehow overloading my computer (i5/8gb ram), by having it slice a large, yet simple, cylindar.  It may be related to the endless number of polygons needed to represent the curve of the cylindar wall.  The only way I can get it to output a g-code file, is if I drastically reduce the resolution via Autodesk, and then again via meshlab.

This is such a simple part, why do I keep runing into this memory error?  Does anyone know how to fix this?  It processes for hours in skeinforge.  And, even though Slic3r can process and output g-code in just a few minutes.... It Doesn't Appear To Add Support Structures AHHHH!!

Here is my error output via the python window (everything looks fine until the very last second when it needs to save the file):

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1410, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "C:\Users\d\Skeinforge\5
0_reprap_python_beanshell\fabmetheus_utilities\settings.py", line 1173, in execu
te
    self.repository.execute()
0_reprap_python_beanshell\skeinforge_application\skeinforge.py", line 592, in ex
ecute
    skeinforge_craft.writeOutput(fileName)
0_reprap_python_beanshell\skeinforge_application\skeinforge_utilities\skeinforge
_craft.py", line 135, in writeOutput
    return pluginModule.writeOutput(fileName, shouldAnalyze)
0_reprap_python_beanshell\skeinforge_application\skeinforge_plugins\craft_plugin
s\export.py", line 294, in writeOutput
    window = skeinforge_analyze.writeOutput(fileName, fileNamePenultimate, fileN
ameSuffix, filePenultimateWritten, gcodeText)
MemoryError

For support, try Kisslicer.   Check posts by me, or forum search for thread on it where I posted screenshots of my settings.  (On my phone, so I can't look it up as easily)

39 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-11-27 22:16:28)

Ian posted a link to that Kisslicer thread on page 1.
Here it is.

Also, it might not be as good as KISSlicer but Slic3r will generate support. Check your settings.

I haven't tried it in a few versions, but I kept running into models where it wouldn't generate support where it was clearly needed, despite the option being activated.  That might be the case here, but definitely check that it is activated.  I usually keep it turned off unless I know for certain that I want it.

To be honest I rarely print with support. I generally try to design whatever I'm making to avoid it where possible.

43 (edited by Aron 2012-11-28 00:00:11)

Although new to 3d printing, I think support material is extremely important. I think I will probably need it for 1/2 of my small plastic engineering projects.  I didn't even see a feature for a raft, but perhaps I need to look further.

Skeinforge makes support material seem simple, when it can process my files.  The frustrating thing is that it gets 99.99% done, and produces the 2 images of the output, but then has this error when it tries to save the output the g-code. 

Is there any way to improve the performance of newest skeinforge on a 64 bit windows system?  I definitly have support turned on in Slic3r, and I varied the min angle between 5 and 80 degrees.  Support is just not showing up on the screen where it should be.  I suppose I could just try to print anyway, to see what it actually is trying to make.

Eventually I may try kissslicer.  I would like to stick with the standard "approved" programs though.

Aron

p.s Which filament provider has the best quality/cost ratio at this point?  I'm getting low....

Aldo wrote:

My questions are the following:

- Is there a "plug and play" 0.1mm Slic3er Profile, which is ready to print right away? (I tried several,.. all of them did the same. I don't want to try until my printer eventually breaks).

- Is there any Firmware update necessary for High-Res prints?

the profile is what's being announced in this thread, the simple answer is, no, there isn't a profile ready to download, but if you wait there will be.

alternatively some have already got 0.1mm profiles, the question kind of is, do you want my 0.1mm profile, or do you want to wait for the officially supported one?

certain aspects of the profile require the machine to be "dialed in" if you look at Ians blog you'll see that there is a setting for setting the plastic flow.

Basically, you should be printing an object to calibrate, Ian suggests a single walled cube, basically a cube where the printer just moves around once, then stacks the next layer directly on top, so there will never be two squirts of plastic next to each other, only on top of one another. you measure the wall thickness with calipers then you can increase or retard the extrusion settings so that your walls are as thick as they are meant to be.

I don't know if this setting changes from machine to machine, certainly when I setup my 0.3mm profile is slic3r my retard setting for the extruder was a lot more extreme than ians noted on his blog, but the results are the same. (so there must be micro-small differences in the tip of the extruder, or we're printing different temperatures etc.

the point is that there are certain settings that aren't going to be universal, flow rate is one of these.

temperature is another one, you'll find that ABS from different suppliers, or from the same suppliers but different colours, or the same supplier, same colour but different batches will need slightly different temperature settings.

also, the finer the resolution you aim for the more "setup" things have to be in your printer with regards the bed being level, and not warped, the kapton tape being fully intact. it coming up to temperature.

So, no, there is no download this profile for 0.1mm printing, (Yet), but there will be, and it'll put you in the ball park for getting decent 0.1mm prints. for perfection you're still going to have to do a lot of leg work yourself.

the settings that will be release will likely not require a firmware update.

however, if you want to print as good as Ian does, you're going to need to measure things like the x and y backlash and edit the firmware to compensate.

My first Yoda at 0.1

Sliced with Kisslicer, settings copied to Ian Johnson, with minor modifications (no fan, 1.72 ABS diameter...)

The right side of Yoda is really good.  The left side not so much..., rough and the ear seems burnt.

Maybe I should try at lower temperature, since I can not install a fan...

Post's attachments

Yoda_0_1.jpg
Yoda_0_1.jpg 113.4 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-28 

I would be interested in seeing what happens if you print the yoda again, turned a different direction on the print bed.  Was the rough side pointed straight back?  There might be something going on with the Y axis that is showing up on the print.

It's also possibe that there was a bit of a breeze that was helping one side cool better than the other.

Aron, if you have been running Skeinforge through Pronterface, then that error doesn't really mean anything.  The gcode should still be getting saved anyway.

For running the current Skeinforge more quickly, look up Cura.  It is a front end for Skeinforge 50 that runs it under PyPy, which is a kind of sped up version of Python.  I think the current download of Repetier (which includes SF50) also automatically sets it up to run under PyPy as well. 

Cura adds a couple of features to Skeinforge, such as fan control and a thing called Joris.  If you are going to print a single walled hollow item like a vase or cup, enabling Joris will have it print in a single spiraling move.    The Z will change constantly rather than in steps that leave a seam up the side.

48 (edited by Aron 2012-11-29 01:01:06)

Ian,
As soon read your post about the rotary feature (joris) I went "OHHHHH COOL" outloud.  That seems to make a ton of sense for round parts.  I actually refined my solidoodle 2 print settings trying to minimize that seam you are talking about!

The repetier/slic3r package works like a fully professional piece of software, so I can't figure out why its support feature doesn't work!!  Slic3r simply will not put support where it needs to go.  I can't even build two of the prototypes I've designed.  I can't redesign all of my engineering parts to make them printable without support.

I'm ready to try kisslicer now...  Does it have a functioning support feature?  Also, do you have a Solidoodle profile setup for it, that you can share? 

One more thing.... I seem to have driven my z axis and y axis past their limits a few times, by switching between proterface and repetier.  Is this a problem with my home settings or something?

-Aron

If you're really stuck, it might be worth designing your own support in the model. I did this for the mk2 extruder and it takes away any grey areas. The final surface was perfect, and the support did its job.

I second Lawsy's suggestion.   Building the support into the model is an excellent way to make sure that you get the support exactly where you need it.  I saw the support pieces he put into his jigsaw replacement and used the same type of design in building my hinges.  You simply extrude the overhang faces to the base (or loft them to another supporting object).   It's not too hard, but you want to make sure that you taper the supports near the overhang so that it is easily removable.