Topic: where to buy spools and abs regrinds?

i just bought a filastruder and was wondering where you guys buy your spools from. Also looking at abs regrinds and was thinking that they were not the best idea do you guys agree on not using regrinds instead of pellets or do you think that regrinds are a good way to save money?

Re: where to buy spools and abs regrinds?

After you factor in shipping, regrind doesn't save much at all - and it usually isn't sorted by color.

I usually just reuse spools from before i had a Filastruder. I've printed some too - plenty on thingiverse. I use this one:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/589/fila … oolsreels/

elmoret wrote:

After you factor in shipping, regrind doesn't save much at all - and it usually isn't sorted by color.

Truth... except if you're re-grinding your own rejects... that however can be prone to contamination.  There are a couple of threads devoted to pelletizing your own filament (in most cases rejected filament that is not within the tolerances used by your printer).  This could be a little more cost effective.

I Am very new to 3d printing and don't have spools. Where do you guys buy your pellets from?

cckens wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Truth... except if you're re-grinding your own rejects... that however can be prone to contamination.  There are a couple of threads devoted to pelletizing your own filament (in most cases rejected filament that is not within the tolerances used by your printer).  This could be a little more cost effective.

Melt filter takes care of contamination.

spencermatousek wrote:

I Am very new to 3d printing and don't have spools. Where do you guys buy your pellets from?

Polymer supplier sticky in this subforum.

I am expecting my filastruder to ship sometime soon, but in the meantime I found recycled ABS and ABS/PC from a nearby factory for $0.75/kg. They use it for plastic injection molding. It is a black/gray/white mixture. So besides price and color, what are downsides to reground ABS? Contamination? Loss of strength? Other?

The floor manager gave me a small bag full to test out and see how well it works. So I'll do that soon!

adam wrote:

I am expecting my filastruder to ship sometime soon, but in the meantime I found recycled ABS and ABS/PC from a nearby factory for $0.75/kg. They use it for plastic injection molding. It is a black/gray/white mixture. So besides price and color, what are downsides to reground ABS? Contamination? Loss of strength? Other?

The floor manager gave me a small bag full to test out and see how well it works. So I'll do that soon!

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3935/pol … -tutorial/

spencermatousek,

Filabot is selling empty spools that are 6.5 inches O.D. with a 3/4 inch bore for $3.50 each.
I bought some and I am very happy with them.
Attached is a photo of one on my Filawinder.

Post's attachments

Filabot Reel.jpg
Filabot Reel.jpg 52.29 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.