Topic: Filawinder Spools Source?

Hi Guys,

Quick question, been digging all over but I fear my google-foo has failed me.  Does anyone have a source on a plastic spool that will fit on the Filawinder?  I  had a Ultimachine spool but its to big for the Filawinder.

Thanks!

Re: Filawinder Spools Source?

I'm working on a design to print a spool that will fit, if you are interested.

I was hoping to buy some pre done ones, but if I can print one in the mean time that could work too.  So if you could link me or let me know where to check out your design.

TIA!

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3024/rev … le-spools/

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you my stl files.  It's a work in progress but my first one seems to be working well.

Filabot is selling empty spools that are 6.5 inches O.D. with a 3/4 inch bore for $3.50 each.

Unless I'm reading the specs wrong, I think the biggest diameter the filawinder could take would be around 5 inches?

I just ordered a few. One can maybe expand the Filawinder bracket size so that it fits.
Or worse case one can trim down the edges on the spool to the right O.D. so
that it fits. I will let you know how I make out with them. It may be a while
though because my Filawinder Kit is in still the mail at the moment.

Awesome, please do report back, I've been pondering expanding it just so most normal spools will fit.

I've done some work to expand mine, i.e. printed some bits and but some dibond I had lying around.  Haven't assembled yet, will post here when I have.

I'm sure that in theory it should work fine as nothing electronically is related to the spool size...

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

These are the stls for the hub and end caps I use. They are quite sturdy and take about 3 hours to print. for all three parts. You will need to glue them together

Post's attachments

filament reel homemade simple .090thk.stl repl (repaired).stl 48.32 kb, 16 downloads since 2014-03-18 

thicker hub test 2 3 pieces.stl 335.76 kb, 13 downloads since 2014-03-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thanks for the files. the reel sides printed great. the hubs printed only one about 2mm wide and 2 or 3 mm tall. I will redoadload and try the hubs again later.

Scale it by 25.4?

Here is one that I came up with a while back.  It is just the ends of the spool, which are made to fit onto 2" PVC pipe so you don't have to print the hub.   It's small enough to print on an SD2.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:79821

I also made a setup for molding spool ends, though I never followed through all of the way because I wanted to change to spool ends that incorporated bearings which weren't as easily molded.  Now that the FilaWinder is using separate hubs that have the bearings, I should revisit this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4uxgk4fvu86acxq/2014-03-21%2008.56.03.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAFsRwJpXGUNRwlejtjGXoxi1kSmGUJpLdkDDRMqRjZ4KA

Print the dish, and give it an acetone wash to smooth it out and close up gaps.  Spray on mold release, fill it up with RTV silicone, and once it cures you have a mold for making spool ends.  Keep doing that until you have a bunch of molds, and then you can crank out spools much faster than you could print them.

Post's attachments

Spool End Molded.stl 972.9 kb, 8 downloads since 2014-03-21 

That's odd that it didn't print right.  I've had a scaling issue when I import an STL into Sketchup.  I did until I figured out that if you select the scale every time it from the options button, using the Jim Foltz plugin, it works.  I did these in Sketchup so if you want those files I can send those to you also.

Hi all,

I  finished building my Filawinder and received the empty reels from Filabot.
It looks like their 6.5 inch reels fit great! Plenty of room to spare. In fact it looks
like the Filawinder ,as is without modification, will accomodate up to a 10 inch reel.
( I have attached a photo of the reel on my Filawinder to this post. )
They are well made and very sturdy. At $3.50 a piece I am not going to bother
to print any myself.

Post's attachments

Filabot Reel.jpg
Filabot Reel.jpg 52.29 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

I just build a spool myself. I´m planning on selling some of the filament produced during overcapacity to my local printer friends, so I need more than 2 spools for myself.

Pics here: http://printnewworlds.blogspot.nl/2014/ … pools.html