1 (edited by FordGalaxie 2014-01-08 08:28:24)

Topic: 3d Printed Gun laws?

Okay now before you poo poo me let me explain.  Im going to college soon for mechanical engineering.  I have seen everything about the 3d printing of guns but nothing too recently.  I was hoping someone could tell me the latest laws on them?  Last I knew, as long as I have a 6 ounce piece of metal somewhere within the gun that cannot be removed, it is legal for experimental reasons.  Is this correct?

WAIT im not done yet!  I am pursuing this for a couple of, what I think, are very good reasons.  I want to test my skills at mechanical design and i need a big project to help me become familiar with my new 3d modeling programs I am testing.  I feel like a gun would be a fun little project to take my time on and something to learn with.  I also have a couple of close friends and co workers who would find it interesting, as they are gun enthusiasts.

LASTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!

If i do attempt this and someone else wants to;

No I will NEVER let you see my designs/models, no I will NOT sell you one, no you can NOT have pictures of the pieces, and no I will NOT be posting any pictures/models/ or ANYTHING of it for ANY use AT ALL no matter WHAT so please,
DO NOT ASK ME FOR THEM THE ANSWER IS NO!!!  IF I even attempt the project, chances are I will melt it all down and destroy the designs and whatever was printed during the project afterward.

(Obviously this all depends on current laws regarding this). Kind responses only please this is just a question and discussion! smile

Re: 3d Printed Gun laws?

FordGalaxie wrote:

Okay now before you poo poo me let me explain.  Im going to college soon for mechanical engineering.  I have seen everything about the 3d printing of guns but nothing too recently.  I was hoping someone could tell me the latest laws on them?  Last I knew, as long as I have a 6 ounce piece of metal somewhere within the gun that cannot be removed, it is legal for experimental reasons.  Is this correct?

WAIT im not done yet!  I am pursuing this for a couple of, what I think, are very good reasons.  I want to test my skills at mechanical design and i need a big project to help me become familiar with my new 3d modeling programs I am testing.  I feel like a gun would be a fun little project to take my time on and something to learn with.  I also have a couple of close friends and co workers who would find it interesting, as they are gun enthusiasts.

No I will NEVER let you see my designs/models, no I will NOT sell you one, no you can NOT have pictures of the pieces, and no I will NOT be posting any pictures/models/ or ANYTHING of it for ANY use AT ALL no matter WHAT so please,
DO NOT ASK ME FOR THEM THE ANSWER IS NO!!!  IF I even attempt the project, chances are I will melt it all down and destroy the designs and whatever was printed during the project afterward.

(Obviously this all depends on current laws regarding this). Kind responses only please this is just a question and discussion! smile

I am no legal expert so I can't help you with that part.  That being said as long as you don't sell it you can make anything you want.  Last I checked firearms are still legal in the US so why all the hype.  One of the biggest pitfalls in the 3d printing community is this attitude towards certain items, from certain categories not being appropriate.  I do not agree with this mentality at all.  If you design it and want to share it that should be your prerogative.   
I have seen things on thingiverse where people have left comments that the item wasn't appropriate for that site.
Come On Really... not appropriate that someone spent hours if not days designing something and wanting to share it with the rest of the world.
I say do your project and have fun with it learn as much along the way as you can and come out the other side a better smarter person.  I wish you the best of luck and be safe.
As always Happy Printing

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Thank god someone with an open mind for once.  All of the negative publicity around 3d printing and guns is really annoying, making people think that's the only thing its used for!  Its refreshing!

FordGalaxie wrote:

Thank god someone with an open mind for once.  All of the negative publicity around 3d printing and guns is really annoying, making people think that's the only thing its used for!  Its refreshing!

The sad part is I can think of several categories that are as affected by the same kind of bias. 
It is what it is I guess big_smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

The US government just passed a bill a few days ago banning 3D printed guns. This article is kind of old, but here it is. http://rt.com/usa/philly-gun-ban-johnson-280/
That was just for Philly, but the proposal passed as a national ban. You ARE able, however, to print stocks, sights, accessories, and mags.

I am a gun enthusiast and a 3D print enthusiast, but I have never had a desire to pursue printing a firearm due to the monolithic legal and political repercusions. I respect anyone capable of printing an operable, well, anything! It is ambitious and I wish you luck on all fronts.

And if I were you, I wouldn't tell anybody about your project. FBI, NSA, and ATF are eyeballing the printing movement. It also wouldn't hurt to consult an attourney before taking the first step.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Also remember, I think that legally your 3d printed gun must contain a certain amount of metal so that it can be detected by a metal detector in the USA.

One idea would be to print the entire thing. Take a model the is NOT hollow (ie barrel). If you are doing a semi automatic sidearm, the slide would be perfect. Then set up a makeshift foundry...there are numerous instructionals online and even youtube. Cast the printed part with whatever metal you choose.

Keep in mind, though, I have a S&M .40 Sigma. It has a polymer frame with a steel slide. When it fired, and even just HOLDING it, it was very top heavy. Recoil was odd and misbalanced.
Also, I recommend checking out Proto-Pasta. They have a HighTemp PLA that I think may hold better for inside the components. Remember: you are dealing with one small explosion at a time when you fire a gun. Heat resistance and strength (to prevent shrapnel if it falls apart after one firing) will be crucial. Proto-Pasta also offers a Carbon Fiber filament.
I would love to hear how it goes for you...you can privately message me updates if you like.
I certainly would.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Am I the only person here wondering how many times NSA has viewed this thread? hmm

Only a couple dozen times I'm sure. Lool   I will certainly keep you updated!

10 (edited by IronMan 2014-01-23 17:57:59)

wardjr wrote:
FordGalaxie wrote:

I am no legal expert so I can't help you with that part.  That being said as long as you don't sell it you can make anything you want.  Last I checked firearms are still legal in the US so why all the hype.  One of the biggest pitfalls in the 3d printing community is this attitude towards certain items, from certain categories not being appropriate.  I do not agree with this mentality at all.  If you design it and want to share it that should be your prerogative.   
I have seen things on thingiverse where people have left comments that the item wasn't appropriate for that site.
Come On Really... not appropriate that someone spent hours if not days designing something and wanting to share it with the rest of the world.
I say do your project and have fun with it learn as much along the way as you can and come out the other side a better smarter person.  I wish you the best of luck and be safe.
As always Happy Printing

That being said; as of right now, it is legal to manufacture your own firearm for yourself without a permit or any form of registration...HOWEVER, that is about to change, my friends:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces … 20140SB808

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

IronMan wrote:
wardjr wrote:
FordGalaxie wrote:

As always Happy Printing

That being said; as of right now, it is legal to manufacture your own firearm for yourself without a permit or any form of registration...HOWEVER, that is about to change, my friends:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces … 20140SB808

There are still a few limitations on what you can make depending on where you live and what paperwork you want to do.

haha they can make all the laws they want. i dont pay them any mind anyway! laws are ridicules

3d printed guns is what got me interested in 3d printers in the first place. i have the files but still havent even tried to print the lower receiver. one day when i get my machine in perfect working order then i may attempt it. but theres plenty of fun to be had without the firearms for now!  Id like to know how your experiments go to, what about Nylon filament for the AR lower?>

theres a great bunch of guys that are into all this stuff the DefCAD crew..... befor defcad went all PC and did that retarded thingiverse wannabe shit.  they have an IRC chat room you can find them in PM me and ill get you the server and channel info

13 (edited by adrian 2014-01-26 07:00:54)

MolecularConcept wrote:

haha they can make all the laws they want. i dont pay them any mind anyway! laws are ridicules

You wont mind if I drop round and rob your place and then torch it and steal your car? smile

I'm guessing its only laws that don't disadvantage your position or opportunities that you think are ridiculous? otherwise lock 'em up right I'm presuming ? wink

<Queue potential irony of using the constitutional 'law' of the 2nd amendment to defend position on guns.....>

Don't worry... I'll keep moving along from this thread tongue Just had to point out probable juxtaposition regarding 'laws' that will eventuate wink

14 (edited by AZERATE 2014-01-27 16:40:55)

I may be one of the newer members, but can we please keep everything civil? Some of the recent comments were juvenile and uncalled for. This is an intriguing thread. No files or designs are being shared. Nobody has the "shock value" from the topic. This is the other side of a coin the media focuses negatively on, and I, personally, am enjoying the conversation REGARDLESS of people's gun rights/laws opinions.

And just for the record: "Unconstitutional laws aren't laws."- Joshua Boston - former Marine and Iraq veteran. You SHOULD, however, consult with a lawyer in your region like I previously recommended just to make sure you are within the guidelines of the law.
So let us please keep everything related to printing instead of some Twitter-like feuding?
Thank you! *steps off soap box*

Just out of curiosity...can anyone in countries OTHER than the US define your laws on 3D printed weapons? I know there was a recent sting on a crime ring outside London where they found "traces of 3D printed gun parts".

Those traces of 3D printed gun parts turned out to be a spool holder and an extruder mod for a Replicator.

hahaha!! Thank you Ian...I never heard the outcome. Priceless.

I saw a vid a few weeks ago of the guy from Texas who got all of the attention for making the "1st 3d printed gun." He is in the process of relocating his company to another country to not have to deal with US laws. I can't remember what country he said but they plan on moving soon.

Truth is, it's people that are dangerous, no matter what you put in their hands, if anything at all. If someone wants to hurt or kill someone, they are going to find a way to do it.  Banning firearms, 3d printed or otherwise, can only hope to achieve a rise in stabbing and beating victims.

Ignorance from the law is no excuse from it. But, ignorance does make one appear more innocent than malicious. Saying "I'm sorry I didn't know" is better than saying, "I knew it was wrong and said ef you and did it anyway."

I personally have no need or or interest in a 3d printed gun. The metal ones work just fine. I do plan on printing a few accessories for my families guns though but, I highly doubt printing a scope mount and some handle mods violates any laws. I am concerned that guns could potentially get 3d printing outlawed. So, I have kept up on the subject a bit. wink

Lots of good info guys. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I don't know my local laws on this matter.  Not sure when I'll get time to do it and I've really only kept up on the subject on a US national basis. If I happen to learn Ohio's laws before someone else posts them, I will.

Hi Antron007 smile

I pretty much agree with you and would rather make em' out of metal wink but... it is always cool to apply new tech to old processes.

Oh, depending on where you live in the US. handle mods can be illegal.... why? because it make the firearm so much more scary wink

Hey Ronsii, I like the fact that the files are out there, just in case they decide to re-amend the 2nd amendment. Thanks for the heads up on the handle mods. I'll be sure no one knows where they came from.

If a firearm were made for any use other than testing various flaws/defects/design pros/cons, etc., it would be far more reliable, cheaper, faster, and more durable to just purchase a gun. I've owned several (metal) guns, and will likely own several more...but never print one for many reasons. A few are already posted above.

If someone were to be malicious with a firearm, people blame the firearm. Because that is the hot topic. As a history buff, I COULD get into the problems that lay in the scenario of an unarmed populace, and even in my own experiences from living in Chicago (harshest gun laws in the US) and Florida/SE Georgia, and taking away guns only gives street thugs the upper hand. Plain and simple. If anyone were to print a firearm, especially if they read this thread beforehand, I can only ask they to do so safely, with the right intentions, SAFELY!!, and under proper legal guidance.

The company Antron007 is thinking of is Defense Distributed. They are seeking "international sanctuary" since the American government (FBI, ATF, CIA) have been seizing, banning/blocking, and suing/threatening their printers, websiteS, and their freedom with an undefined threat.

Like I say...one of the cheapest 3D printers on the market is a Solidoodle. This wonderful forum serves as advanced conversations on the tech, but is FLOODED with HELP! threads...hairs ripped out, nails bitten, and all that jazz. With that said: Wouldn't you think it would be easier to just BUY a gun than to buy a printer, wait the 1-7 week shipping, calibrate, tweak, calibrate more, design/download, come on here and ask what you are doing wrong, go back through software calibration, print again, run the firearm through a rigorous series of tests, THEN use it in a crime?
I have known criminals. I have known patient people. But I have never met a criminal quite that patient.

Rant over.

@AZERATE- Thanks for filling in those details about DD for me smile I agree with you about criminals and patients. If they were more patient, they wouldn't turn to the apparently quick and easy life of crime. (I say apparently because, in the long term, a life of crime is usually neither quick nor easy.)

The UK law is pretty simple...

All the legislation is laid out on pretty easy to read language. (that should be the most up to date with all amendments etc)
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27
(just search for the term manufacture)

We don't have a constitution of rights. that muddies up any points or anything like that.

for the purpose of UK law we'll deal with Shot guns, Hand guns, automatic weapons and then Firearms.

Shot guns,
Any body can "use" a shot gun. -that is to say you can go shooting with a friend.
anything more than borrowing a mates gun requires you to apply for a "shot gun certificate" it's a reasonably easy to get certificate that allows you to own guns, (as many as you like), each gun must have a serial number and must be kept in a secure cabinet (where there are laws surrounding the gun cabinet constructions and fixing to the wall).
it's illegal to have a gun in a public place (where a public place includes your car). without a good reason - e.g on the way to/from a hunt/shooting session. -so you can carry your guns out your house, walk down the road to a field, do some shooting etc, then walk home, but taking your guns to the pub en-route whilst walking would be foul of the law.
same applies to a car, but to a greater or lesser extend anyone who's ever been on a hunt knows that everyone goes to the pub afterwards.

Hand guns.
You can't have them, they've been outlawed for well over a decade now, since the dunblane masaccre. (where a scoutmaster murdered a class full of five of six year old kids plus teachers.

Automatic weapons.
again restricted by law, -they are explicit exceptions to what is classed as a firearm in law -that is described in the act linked above, automatic weapons are not firearms in the UK.

Firearms.
require a different certificate than you get for keeping shotguns, (think of the shotgun cert as the easy to get cert -requiring only respected members of the community to "vouch" for you). a firearm cert takes more paperwork, and more specific recommendation, -and they are renewed more frequently. firearm law coveres everything that's not a hand gun, shot gun air gun or automatic/semi automatic weapon. (basically riffles).

Airguns,
pretty much a free for all. - as you may have guessed from my talk of hunting etc I've in the country rather than the city, it's common place for people to own guns, I have air riffles when I was growing up. and have been clay shooting, know many people who still clay shoot, and have been hunting for food, as well as having seen organised game shoots...

however, if you live in a town, I would suggest not performing target practice from an upstairs window into your garden, when a neighbour calls the police, they can and will respond with an armed response unit, who will have you on your knees with hands behind your head whilst they search your house. (this actually happened to a friend while at university) -actually it more happened to his house mate, in the middle of a romantic dinner.

For the manufacture of firearms.
clearly, once finished making a firearm you'll own a firearm -so much be licensed to do that.
any gun barrel produced for sale in the UK must be proofed.
http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

gun makers are still proofing guns.
http://www.gunmakers.org.uk/proofhouse.html

I haven't investigated their site too far as I don't actually want to make a gun. but it looks like if you join them then you can design and make guns, have them proofed, serialised recorded and ready for sale as a pretty easy process...

In the UK -just like in the US and anywhere else in the world, if you want to make a gun then there is very little technically or legally to stop you. get the right permit/certificate to own the gun you're going to make, get help (there are a number of gun smiting forums who will point you in the right direction). and it wouldn't hurt to go and let the local fuzz know what you're getting up to in your garage. -not a requirement but a really good idea. and will go a long way to help your case when you're raided and 3d printer parts are thought to be guns...

as said I've go no interest in making a gun...
however, it is something I've looked at before...
If I were to make a gun...
It'd be a traditionally made, (and lovingly hand crafted) shotgun, by traditionally made I mean using traditional method, smoke fit etc, (smoke fit is a method of creating perfect clearances using soot from a candle to blacken a surface, -you then assemble the mechanism, then take it apart, any bit where the soot is worn off clearly is too tight and must be adjusted.)

The barrel would certainly be proofed, not because I'd intend to sell the gun (then it's be a legal requirement), but because it's one of those really good idea type deals, one of the big reasons that Britain managed (hundreds of years ago) to murder half the world and claim it's land as our own is that we tested our gun barrels, others didn't and they had exceptionally high fatality rates related to barrel explosions.

The only way a 3d printer would be involved is in either making tooling, -to aid the manufacture.

or making prototype parts (e.g testing a lock mechanism)

or making parts for a lost wax type casting (except lost PLA).

a final note about guns in the UK.
even plastic replica and toy guns that look real will be considered dangerous from a distance, the police will shoot first and ask questions later -that's why toy guns have that big orange plastic cap on them.

ronsii wrote:

Hi Antron007 smile

I pretty much agree with you and would rather make em' out of metal wink but... it is always cool to apply new tech to old processes.

Oh, depending on where you live in the US. handle mods can be illegal.... why? because it make the firearm so much more scary wink

the public have a right to feel safe in public.
That's why you'll be shot for having a really realistic looking toy gun and waving it about.

and that's the thing that I find incredibly annoying about the whole defence distributed guys.
they claim to be all about guns, and free ownership of guns.

but what have they done?
made a few nick knacks on a really expensive printer (though nothing that needs any real strength.
well whoopee, for most of the parts that they made you could carve them from wood, or cast them in concrete.
there have been part finished (and not serialised) lower receiver parts available for decades (that you just need to file to fit)
so it's not even like they made it so very much easier to make a hard to make part...

so having established that they haven't really helped in gun manufacture at all, what have they really done...

They've made plastic guns scary, thus ruining games of cowboys and Indians/cops and robbers for five year old all over the world.

Thank you very much for your addition! From what I understand, even a typical London police officer cannot carry a firearm (aside from tactical team, correct?). Far and away from American laws for sure...

danny wrote:

and it wouldn't hurt to go and let the local fuzz know what you're getting up to in your garage. -not a requirement but a really good idea. and will go a long way to help your case when you're raided and 3d printer parts are thought to be guns...

In the US, it most likely would unwise to do this unless you are friends with, related to, or very comfortable around officer. You may very well suffer harassment, rendom searches and seizures, and the ATF and/or FBI breathing down your neck. It would be a very bad experience for anyone associated. So the OP's comment of not file sharing is not only honorable, but responsible.
However, I in no way condone or recommend printing controlled objects (i.e. guns) for mischevious reasons.

As stated above, if anyone wishes to print a firearm in the US with peaceful, educational, and RESPONSIBLE intentions, I recommend contacting a lawyer and retaining his/her services before progressing. This would not mean you are clear for your project, but you would simply have a leg to stand on if brought to trial. The 2nd Ammendment is dwindling here, so it really is a grey area here in relation to American law.

AZERATE wrote:

Thank you very much for your addition! From what I understand, even a typical London police officer cannot carry a firearm (aside from tactical team, correct?). Far and away from American laws for sure...

by and large the police carry no weapons other than a truncheon and CS spray, where truncheon (think half sized baseball bat) has been replaced with standard extending baton/night stick many years ago.

that's starting to change now that Tazers have been invented, police are starting to receive arms training for tazers and carrying them.

There are armed response teams. and if you visit St James' park at Buckingham palace you will see the police there carrying SA80's (though I'm not sure if that's the regular or MOD police.)

but in general, no the police do not carry guns. and those that do have had "specialist" training. -though it's not clear that specialist firearms training is anything more than you'd teach a child when taking them to a range in the states.

AZERATE wrote:
danny wrote:

and it wouldn't hurt to go and let the local fuzz know what you're getting up to in your garage. -not a requirement but a really good idea. and will go a long way to help your case when you're raided and 3d printer parts are thought to be guns...

In the US, it most likely would unwise to do this unless you are friends with, related to, or very comfortable around officer. You may very well suffer harassment, rendom searches and seizures, and the ATF and/or FBI breathing down your neck. It would be a very bad experience for anyone associated. So the OP's comment of not file sharing is not only honorable, but responsible.
However, I in no way condone or recommend printing controlled objects (i.e. guns) for mischevious reasons.

I would say I see it the other way around, it's easier to stay on the "good" side of the law (different from the right side of the law) if you're straight up with said law, obviously out experiences are different here.

I wonder what steps need to be taken to register as a gun smith. at that point excessive harassment from police or ATF might be avoided since you're a legit business.

it's not that unreasonable for police to get "twitchy" about the idea of people printing guns at home. I mean think how many solidoodle printers alone have been made and sold, if each solidoodle owner were to print just 1 undetectable untraceable gun then that poses a significant law enforcement issue.

AZERATE wrote:

As stated above, if anyone wishes to print a firearm in the US with peaceful, educational, and RESPONSIBLE intentions, I recommend contacting a lawyer and retaining his/her services before progressing. This would not mean you are clear for your project, but you would simply have a leg to stand on if brought to trial. The 2nd Ammendment is dwindling here, so it really is a grey area here in relation to American law.

it's NOT a second amendment issue for three reasons:

(from Wikipedia)

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right of individuals[1][2] to keep and bear arms.[3][4][5][6] The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that the right vests in individuals, not merely collective militias, while also ruling that the right is not unlimited and does not prohibit all regulation of either firearms or similar devices.[7] State and local governments are limited to the same extent as the federal government from infringing this right per the incorporation of the Bill of Rights.

The right to bear arms DOES NOT apply to any and all arms,

3d printed gun can be outlawed with the threat of the death penalty, but your 2nd amendment rights remain 100% intact.

secondly

In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government and the states could limit any weapon types not having a “reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia”

3d printed guns do not have a reasonable relationship to a well organised militia.

2nd amendment = A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

you have a free right to keep an bear arms, the discussion is over the manufacture of arms.
you do not have a constitutional right to manufacture arms at all...

this is not a 2nd amendment issue, and any attempts to correlate it with the 2nd amendment are just a red herring designed to make people upset...