Re: 3d Printed Gun laws?

danny wrote:

this is not a 2nd amendment issue, and any attempts to correlate it with the 2nd amendment are just a red herring designed to make people upset...

I have no intentions of boiling blood and apologize if I ever had.
I suppose you could say I was agreeing with your statement of (cowboys and indians) without announcing it. On that thought, some frown on guns nowadays (sometimes for very logical reasons) to an extreme. Where even TOYS are being banned.
Case in point:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/02/1 … oody-doll/

danny wrote:

I would say I see it the other way around, it's easier to stay on the "good" side of the law (different from the right side of the law) if you're straight up with said law, obviously out experiences are different here.

I in no way intended to come across as "Do what you will" mentality. So I hope nobody thought that. I agree with informing, well, somebody of said intentions of printing. Personal freedom is more important than a hobby.

danny wrote:

I wonder what steps need to be taken to register as a gun smith. at that point excessive harassment from police or ATF might be avoided since you're a legit business.

Excellent question. While I do not have an answer for that from personal experience, I knew someone (fairly well) who worked for a gunsmithing company. He had no credentials needed other than machining experience to get the job. As far as a worker goes, no registration is needed. The owner and operator of said company though, I am certain would have much red tape to cross before legally recognized.

danny wrote:

it's not that unreasonable for police to get "twitchy" about the idea of people printing guns at home.

They have good cause.

danny wrote:

you have a free right to keep an bear arms, the discussion is over the manufacture of arms.
you do not have a constitutional right to manufacture arms at all...

Due to media coverage of how a 3D printer "could" make a gun (some are radically biased, one even shocking from a Utah publication), it unfortunately is a touch deeper than manufacturing itself. The 2nd Ammendment (sorry to bring it up again) is different in each state, county, city, neighborhood. The laws in Jacksonville, Fl are far and away different than those of Morton Grove, Il, which became the first town in the country to ban handguns...an unthinkable ruling compared to Florida, even though they are both the same country. Which is why consulting with legal professionals in your local area before moving ahead with printing is the best idea.

Whether made of metal, plastic, or potato chips, anything that launches a bullet is classified as a gun. So yes, 2nd Ammendment conversation and understanding is needed on this topic.
I am fully aware the 2nd has been changed/modified over the years. How we (anyone on or off this forum) interperate gun laws will vary, especially from one nation to another.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:

I have no intentions of boiling blood and apologize if I ever had.

My bloods not boiling, -I'm not American, so have no second amendment rights, I do see the pro's and cons...

AZERATE wrote:
danny wrote:

you have a free right to keep an bear arms, the discussion is over the manufacture of arms.
you do not have a constitutional right to manufacture arms at all...

Due to media coverage of how a 3D printer "could" make a gun (some are radically biased, one even shocking from a Utah publication), it unfortunately is a touch deeper than manufacturing itself. The 2nd Ammendment (sorry to bring it up again) is different in each state, county, city, neighborhood. The laws in Jacksonville, Fl are far and away different than those of Morton Grove, Il, which became the first town in the country to ban handguns...an unthinkable ruling compared to Florida, even though they are both the same country. Which is why consulting with legal professionals in your local area before moving ahead with printing is the best idea.

The modifications to the second amendment are possibly symptomatic of the problem...

I.e a bit of paper says this, and lawyers from any group with a vested interest, (be it those who want or those who don't want guns will argue a point.) and thus you have a very paired down and exacting definition of what that 2nd amendment means, (the right to bear arms as a part of a well organised militia.)

so you have situations where it's not unreasonable to say that handguns may not be the correct tool of a militia, certainly as far as I know handguns are not issued to every soldier? but at the same time full automatic weapons ARE issued to every soldier, and thus by definition of what a regular army does, and what a militia does in standing in for a regular army at a local level, you'd argue that you should ban all handguns, (side arms are not critical to a well run militia, but at the same time all a lot "bigger and scarier" guns.

for what it's worth, I would argue the following... (I did write this last time but deleted it because I wasn't sure if getting into the second amendment was either on or off topic.)

The constitution was written near enough directly after the war of independence,
the colonial government was not fit for purpose, nor representative.

In order to gain freedom from colonial rule loads of people fought and died.
there is no doubt in my mind that the first and second amendments at the time are more about allowing people to live in a free country.

that is to say that you must be allowed free speech of any kind, (so that you can freely say that something is wrong) and you must be allowed to keep arms either to form a militia for the purpose of defence of your land against in conjunction with a domestic military, (i.e fighting invading forces) or fighting against an established governing power. -the same as the people who wrote the constitution had just done.

in order to form an unofficial and revolutionary army, you *must* be allowed to gather keep and use arms, fundamentally you must be able to make arms, AND those arms should be as high tech and undetectable as possible.

it's pretty clear in my mind what the second amendment is meant to mean (given the history at the time of it's writing). however it doesn't explicitly say all of that.

it says that you're allowed to keep arms and form militia without any express indication of what for.
thus if you form militia to overthrow government (exactly the same as the founding fathers did you're guilty of a crime).
because you can keep arms for the purpose of forming militia, you can argue that handguns are not covered by the second amendment, - they certainly are not issued to every member of the regular army. -however in saying that -and drawing that comparison you therefore MUST allow all arms of the military in civilian ownership. after all how do you form an effective militia without good weapons?

you see the problem here? if you look at a historical context you can argue that the manufacture of arms, (especially hard to detect composite construction arms that you can make at home) not only are covered but are the EXACT kind of arms that a bunch of people who just overthrew an established government army would be thinking of when they wrote the document!. (i.e you have a right to freedom, and you have a right to fight for that freedom exactly as they just had -because they were clever enough to realise that future governments might be corrupt and perhaps need to be overthrown? -I'm pretty sure that the government of the few colonies on the east coast didn't start off corrupt, but by the time the whole of the us was colonized, the government was far from representative. if not outright corrupt.

but in the real world, we only have to work with what was written,
nothing was written about a right to manufacture arms.
you have no constitutional right to manufacture arms.
it's not a second amendment issue.

as for the media coverage...
it's sad that when telling people that you own a 3d printer the first thing that they think of is printing handguns, and not stories like how medical supplies -umbilical cord clips have been printed (in Haiti) or how it has allowed rapid prototyping of products at home.
how it's allowed people to print replacement parts (like this week I printed a ratchet strap for a roller skate as the previous one broke and the manufacturer refuses (I did ask) to provide spare parts. and thus reduced landfill waste.

to be honest (aside from talking to my dad -who seems to have a constant list of things he needs to make) just about every conversation I have seems to centre around me assuring people that I'm not making guns...

of course what I don't say is if I were to make a gun it'd be the ignorant fools like you (as in the people who keep asking if 3d printers are for making guns ignoring all other possibilities) that I'd come after first...

since it's been a long post I'll surmise.

defence distributed, just ruined kids games, made toy guns the kind of thing you could get gunned down for having. and frankly looked like tools whilst they were doing it.

gun manufacture -"I" don't believe is a second amendment issue, because, legally you don't argue about the intent of the law you argue about the written part of the law.

-the same as I feel fine like I could drive after a few beers with good reactions, so should I drive? my friend is drunk after 1 beer and would crash if they drove. when stopped by the police I'd be arrested, they'd be allowed to carry on and crash.
the intent of DUI laws is to stop people driving whilst having slowed reactions due to the influence of alcohol.
however, the police can only act on the words, hence my feeling drunk but under 30mg/ml friend gets to go drive into a child whilst my other, over the limit but actually pretty fit to drive friend finds himself in court.

I understand why people want to make it a second amendment issue -I believe it should be. but I also believe that in a legal sense the argument won't get very far.

Making guns with a fused filament printer is pretty much asking for trouble. -see my earlier comments about gun barrel proofing, and historically, those countries that did not test gun barrels often found that more of their own soldiers died than the oppositions.

An exploding barrel will hurt you and anyone around you.

Plastic is not a good gun material. -simple material science shows us that it expands and contracts too much with heat for precision parts. it suffers fatigue very poorly and becomes brittle with age and exposure to sunlight.

Basically there is a reason than that they make gun parts from metal, and it's not so it requires mad skills, (a desktop metal CNC machine could make a gun in a "download design and press go" situation also.)

and for me... that's the real issue...
I'd be much more interested in designing a gun if there was a realistic chance of it becoming a real (and safe) object.

i.e if we were all owners of metal mills rather than plastic printers it would be fun to group design a gun -I've no interest in owning said gun, but figuring out the parts would be interesting, and I could see them working via videos of those who did make the thing.

the big problem is, (and I think that it's likely more than just me who thinks this) there's very little skill in designing grips, -boring, and very little point in designing a gun or gun parts, because that video that's being made is not so much fun when exerts are being played on the news showing the gun breaking up and getting cut right before it kills you on the evening news...

28 (edited by adrian 2014-03-18 10:12:59)

I posted in here the other day re-iterating my confusion as to why nobody but primarily North Americans south of the 49th parallel even care about printing a 3D gun.. but deleted it on the basis it'd mostly be read as flame bait... but anyway... seeing the popular meme re Four Boxes of Liberty ("There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order.") that is attributed to Ed Howdershelt in someones sig on another forum prompts me to wonder and have to ask:

Why is there so much attention paid to the 4th Box with a fervor and passion that seems rarely, if ever, applied to the 2nd or 3rd boxes ? Except when the 1st box is used to defend the 4th box ? It would seem to me that if the same passion was applied to boxes 1,2 and 3 - you'd never need to open the 4th one. Certainly at the level of an individual.

Meh.. I still just don't get it clearly. Imagine if all that passion and vigor was applied to say, Sciences (Political or Otherwise... wink ) If its just an exercise in challenging the mind and mechanical engineering mojo - there is a list a mile long of complicated things that need solving for the greater good long before we get new and interesting ways to make 'bang sticks'... and then there's the whole basis now how the 'passion' about 'needing' to 3D Print guns has really upset the apple cart for everyone else. If I had a $1 for every time I got asked now about 3D printed Guns... I'd own Stratsys already and have transferred all their patents to the public domain and still have money left over smile 

But I do like Ed's quote, it really highlights well how often people are focusing on the last resort rather than the progressive possibilities long before that point.

adrian wrote:

I posted in here the other day re-iterating my confusion as to why nobody but primarily North Americans south of the 49th parallel even care about printing a 3D gun.. but deleted it on the basis it'd mostly be read as flame bait... but anyway... seeing the popular meme re Four Boxes of Liberty ("There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order.") that is attributed to Ed Howdershelt in someones sig on another forum prompts me to wonder and have to ask:

Why is there so much attention paid to the 4th Box with a fervor and passion that seems rarely, if ever, applied to the 2nd or 3rd boxes ? Except when the 1st box is used to defend the 4th box ? It would seem to me that if the same passion was applied to boxes 1,2 and 3 - you'd never need to open the 4th one. Certainly at the level of an individual.

Meh.. I still just don't get it clearly. Imagine if all that passion and vigor was applied to say, Sciences (Political or Otherwise... wink ) If its just an exercise in challenging the mind and mechanical engineering mojo - there is a list a mile long of complicated things that need solving for the greater good long before we get new and interesting ways to make 'bang sticks'... and then there's the whole basis now how the 'passion' about 'needing' to 3D Print guns has really upset the apple cart for everyone else. If I had a $1 for every time I got asked now about 3D printed Guns... I'd own Stratsys already and have transferred all their patents to the public domain and still have money left over smile 

But I do like Ed's quote, it really highlights well how often people are focusing on the last resort rather than the progressive possibilities long before that point.

+1
What your missing though is current political climate and media "Hype" coverage.  That is a conversation I would be happy to have with you privately if you really want to know why this seems to be such a "hot button issue".

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

For me, I'm with Adrian. If I wanted to make something to show off my 3d printing prowess, is be making pretty much anything else. Designing an air powered engine, making an rc car from scratch, you name it. There are plenty of things you can make that require a signficant amount of skill and expertise that don't end up exploding in your face. (Not to mention drawing attention from the wrong kind of people)

Then again, I've not grown up with guns being in suburban Sydney, Australia. I've never really seen the fascination of them. When a friend of mine kept bugging me to print him a gun, I printed a solid kids toy one. It shut him up smile

In the end, that's my 2c, feel free to do what you'd like. Post your results if you dare smile