Topic: Acetone Vapour Bath: Not working

So today I decided to give the Acetone Vapour Bath a try and it did not work! What did I do wrong? (See the attachment for the set up.)

I increase the bed heat to 105C and I waited 45 minutes before I gave up because there was no gloss on the 3D printed part! Nothing happened and I don't know what I did wrong! Any suggestions, tips, ideas?

My set up is as follows:

-A glass jar that seals very well (purchased from Walmart).
-A hole in the middle of the seal with a Q-tip plugging it to prevent too much pressure from breaking the jar; I'd rather have the Qtip shoot out than a broken glass jar.
-A small glass acting as an island to place the part on it and separate the part from the liquid Acetone.
-Aluminum foil to place the part onto it so it wouldn't melt on the glass.
-The Acetone level was 1-2mm deep.

After a while condensed vapour formed on the bottom of the seal but the part did not turn glossy or anything. After 45 minutes I just gave up and turned the bed heat off.

Any idea what I can do to make it work?

Thanks.

Post's attachments

IMG_20131214_211656[1].jpg 2.45 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Acetone Vapour Bath: Not working

is it PLA? it only works with ABS

Thanks. It is ABS. So may be put more Acetone then? I will try that.

It will be more effective if you can heat the acetone while its in the chamber.

Also put shorter standoff glass in there to lower the part more into the vapor zone.

Thank you. The Acetone I was using was really bad. I bought good Acetone from Home Depot and all is well now. smile

I need to try the smoothing again. I am wondering if the Acetone I was using was really watered down. I ordered some that was for automobilies so hopefully it's stronger then the nail polish type.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

8 (edited by ysb 2014-05-09 17:32:42)

you can also put your model in a Freezer for around 15 minutes.. then put it in your jar with heated acetone. the vapor will condense immediately on the whole object for a more uniform Result. it's a good tip for taller object.

edit : language correction

ysb wrote:

you can also put your model in a congelator for around 15 minutes.. then put it in your jar with heated acetone. the vapor will condense immediately on the whole object for a more uniform Result. it's a good tip for taller object.

Congelator = Freezer in US

+1 on this. I have done it plenty of times with some rather impressive results.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

I'll have to try this freezer method soon

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA