Re: How to forget about circle problems for ever....

Would this be a recommended mod to perform on a new printer immediately?

If your printer works to your satisfaction then I wouldn't change anything.... however It would be a good idea to print any parts you might need for mods you would like to do in the future... Unless you like to mod things??? then go for it smile

adrian wrote:

Well, I'd have anticipated further feedback from the wider audience by now

Have been running this mod for a month or so.  1" circles are within +/- .002".  A side effect of this and a few other rigidity improvements is that a very slight moire pattern is back on some circles (updating and de-tuning the extruder driver had gotten rid of that issue).

Really barely noticeable, and only on some magic diameters.  I guess they used to be hidden by larger amplitude chaotic wiggles of the entire system. High order problems of no significance.

IMO this is a good, useful upgrade.

will this work on the SD3 with all the same instructions?

My SD3:  Clear plexiglass case, case heater, X axis stabilizer, Z axis stabilizer, thumb screws, filament guide, heatsinks on all motors, extruder fan, controller fan, heatsinks on motherboard, Y rod pillow block, USB and Power on/off switch, fully calibrated including trimpot tuning. Am I missing anything?

Photog wrote:

its done on an SD3, and will work fine for 2's and 4's as well....

adrian wrote:
Photog wrote:

its done on an SD3, and will work fine for 2's and 4's as well....

My SD3:  Clear plexiglass case, case heater, X axis stabilizer, Z axis stabilizer, thumb screws, filament guide, heatsinks on all motors, extruder fan, controller fan, heatsinks on motherboard, Y rod pillow block, USB and Power on/off switch, fully calibrated including trimpot tuning. Am I missing anything?

32 (edited by Photog 2014-01-29 05:22:32)

Ok I wanted to try this mod but I'm having trouble printing the pillow block. Any suggestions? I printed it right side up, no support. Do I really need to be using support for this?

The problem appears to be that the top layers stay too soft when printing and "spring" back up. I'm printing ABS at 200c, with 105c bed temp, and 40c case temp. Funny that my black ABS doesn't seem to have as much "springiness" to it than my green does but I thought black was supposed to be harder to print.

I may be able to salvage this by just drilling out the 6mm hole to be round and put the bearing in there? What do you think? But I'm wary about things being less than perfect when it comes to something that will be guiding the y rod. Edit: NVM no it won't work because it's not just the 6mm hole that would need to be reformed it would need to be all of the circle part and if the bearing is not centered in there perfectly it's going to be off axis and not work right.

http://s24.postimg.org/i1fxolp3p/image.jpghttp://s24.postimg.org/vh2ye1xlh/image.jpghttp://s24.postimg.org/6mjgjzcr9/image.jpg

Print it on the side..No support needed, and mechanically stronger. So i.e, you want the circle lying down on the platform.

Like Tomek says side print it for strength smile if your bore is indented on both sides use support... it won't be much anyways.

got mine printed last night, been waiting a month for the bearings to be delivered... anyhow,, I'll get this installed tonight.

I also have the spectra lines installed and I have circle issues just now... so will be interesting to compare before and after... will update in the next day or so

saymo606 wrote:

I also have the spectra lines installed and I have circle issues just now... so will be interesting to compare before and after... will update in the next day or so

Will be interested to hear how it goes. Have you still got the first loop belt off the motor installed ?

One thing I noticed when trying to edit the MK5 tensioner arm model (to get rid of a couple nagging issues I have) is that the "circles" in a lot of these models aren't circles to begin with. On the MK5 tensioner model I brought into Solidworks, every circle is broken into about 20 segments (or less). Most of the visualization softwares smooth the segments to look round but they really are not truly. How "round" the circle is completely depends on the resolution used as the output settings on the program you are using for part creation. This is biasing some of the assessments about circles, I think.

I am still going to do this mod as soon as bearings come in as it makes good engineering sense. I just finally got my printer to work almost flawlessly after having it since October 2012. For the last year I have been fighting extruder issues off and on and not used it much because of that. Swapped to E3D a bit ago and most of my problems are now gone

jemmicat wrote:

[snip]

Actually, the most accurate circles are usually had with less polygons.. its all a factor of its size and what the 'circle' is for smile

Best described here: http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com.au/2011 … holes.html

And I would hope that most peoples circle assement was based on the relevance to the model - in that yes a 50mm wide 24 polygon circle from sketchup will look like... well.. a 24 polygon circle .. But I guess you never know as its a presumption one must make from the other side of the interwebs smile

I am not sure I buy into the less polygons theory... I know when we make parts on our 3D printer at work with low resolution, the parts are nigh unusable. But as you said, it depends on what the hole is used for

40 (edited by Photog 2014-02-03 08:17:05)

Ok got it to print and got the bearings installed.

Going to install it when i get my new y rod (thought I'd start fresh) and crank that y motor tight to the case.

One question. Do I want to install pillow block to case with y belt (the vertical one) on or off? Im assuming off, because I don't want it to put any pressure on the rod before I have this device on which prevents that pressure from bending the rod?

Also, for drilling the holes, what worked better for you guys, dremel or drill? If dremel, what kind of diamond bit?

Curious... Does it matter where you locate the pillow block? Is it best served as central as possible or does it matter? I'm having a hard time getting my block/bearings to slide onto the rod much further than a few inches.

Kevin Gossett wrote:

Curious... Does it matter where you locate the pillow block? Is it best served as central as possible or does it matter? I'm having a hard time getting my block/bearings to slide onto the rod much further than a few inches.

in the middle is ideal I would imagine, However you cannot put dead in the middle with SD3 because if you drill through the metal you will hit the main wires in the back unless you untape them first (but I'm no sure where to get black tape like that)

For best results use a pair of supports and bearings, one on each side of the case, just be aware of what is behind the holes you're drilling on the left side! On my SD3 I have the left block almost directly behind the Z rail, tough spot to get into but the only place I could drill and be OK with the block I made, YRMV...

I put the blocks and bearings on and remounted the shaft to get the position for the holes, works better than trying to measure it all out unless you're into disassembling much of the printer to have unobstructed access.

I ended up having to disassemble quite a bit in order to get the rod completely out to get the block further down. It's all good now! Haven't gotten a chance to test it out

Did a quick "nickel test" from Thingiverse and I can already tell a huge difference! A little more tweaking and I think I'll be right as rain smile

im going to murder whoever put this damned rod in ..........

Overkill is underrated!!!

SnakeEyes wrote:

i guess i'll design up and print a thing-a-muh-jig that i can use to press the pully's off before i do this mod.  so thanks for the insight.  but murder?  maybe just a good b#%*ch slap would do?
smile

johnforeman wrote:
SnakeEyes wrote:

i guess i'll design up and print a thing-a-muh-jig that i can use to press the pully's off before i do this mod.  so thanks for the insight.  but murder?  maybe just a good b#%*ch slap would do?
smile

nope, this much frustration deserves murder!!!    lol

3 mods done........ 2 more 2 go.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Masurrao/3d%20Printing/20140213_201717.jpg

I can see a lot more than 2 that could be done... wink