Topic: 3d printed metal gun

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/11/08/ … metal-gun/

awesome video

Re: 3d printed metal gun

I always wonder why the news agencies (and apparently the British police) get so excited about 3D printed guns. CNC machines have been around for years and are just as easy for hobbyists to build or buy as 3D printers. You can mill gun parts on a CNC machine using old fashioned subtractive technology and don't have to worry about trying to laser sinter metal dust without a vacuum chamber, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than any metal printer is likely to be for a long time.

Claghorn wrote:

I always wonder why the news agencies (and apparently the British police) get so excited about 3D printed guns. CNC machines have been around for years and are just as easy for hobbyists to build or buy as 3D printers. You can mill gun parts on a CNC machine using old fashioned subtractive technology and don't have to worry about trying to laser sinter metal dust without a vacuum chamber, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than any metal printer is likely to be for a long time.

you are correct sir in fact a good old milling machine can do a lot more but what scares the government is the idea that anyone can do it all it takes is a file

4 (edited by adrian 2013-11-10 11:57:36)

Manx wrote:

you are correct sir in fact a good old milling machine can do a lot more but what scares the government is the idea that anyone can do it all it takes is a file

Indeed - but is that what 'scares the government' - or is it like most other governments around the world that are concerned about the 'perceived' (because, as we've well established, its only perception, not a reality) ease with which anyone could make a firearm - which is what 'scares ordinary citizens who live in the rest of the modernized world where no one feels the need to 'bear arms as a well organised militia"'?  I know from my perspective, that whilst I can go out today and make a deadly weapon with my mill and lathe, what concerns me is 'little johnny' and his 10 yr old mate who decide to 'just print one' on the weekend. Scares the hell out of me. Indiscriminate access to obvious weapons. *shudders*.  (I said obvious, because lets face it, a small marble to the temple can be a 'deadly weapon'... but I'm sure I'm articulating the specific distinction I'm trying to draw here..)

I'm confident that I'd quickly discover 'little johnny' mid-arms manufacture on my lathe, and he'd probably make enough mistakes along the way to render it nothing more than an embarrassment for him. Someone else doing all the design work, so all he has to know is some material and print guidelines... thats taking enablement to another level since he can't just hit 'print' on my mill...

But I do realize, I state this as someone who comes from a country, like most others, that would appear doesn't have an inherent 'fear' regarding our 'elected leaders'... we just get rid of them next election, sometimes even mid-term wink

Genuine question - Why do you think , outwardly, no other countries citizens give a hoot about a printable 3D weapong except - it would appear - many citizens of the US?

(I'm asking out of sincere interest - it makes my mind boggle the way some people become, evangelical, over access to an arsenal, let alone a 'self-made' one and I'd love to understand the perspective better. So don't come at me, pardon the pun, guns blazing smile I just notice there seems to be a lot of 'passion' about needing to 3D print a gun, which, escapes me and a lot of others and I prefer not to just remain ignorant about others viewpoints  )

Claghorn wrote:

I always wonder why the news agencies (and apparently the British police) get so excited about 3D printed guns.

Because, whilst there is every ability for an individual to make a weapon on a CNC... the access to those machines, and the level of skill required to operate them succesfully, means that it automatically rules out large chunks of a post-industrialised nation (not many Aussies would even have lathes and mills 'just lying around' these days..... ).. Both Britain and Australia have quite well regulated weapons laws.. and they have proven themselves in this country to have a dramatic effect on the number of gun deaths let alone 'crime'. The concept that there is not-too-far-off the ability to 'produce beyond the effective legislations controls' is pretty concerning.

People *have* been able to make a gun on a lathe since the lathe was invented. But we haven't, certainly in this country, had issues with 'home made weapons' (pipe bombs mebbe, for the same reasons I'm outlining.. far easier to make wink )... But given the 'curiosity' of many, and the 'ease' (implied, apparent, factual or otherwise) of 3D Printing it means that the likelyhood of them being used 'not for good' is a hell of a lot greater than the couple of hours and specific skill and materials someone would need on the lathe/mill... (which acts as a brilliant disabler for the technology in effect).

So I think you'll find the issue here (and in the UK) is, not that this is 'new', but in the not terribly distant future, 3D printing technology will be far more of an 'enabler' than a lathe and CNC ever has been for *the vast majority of individuals*...  Thats what the concerning 'game changer' is vs the age old technologies that already enable these problems. Empirical evidence demonstrates that the *existing* technologies *must* have limited application or *everyone* in the US would be doing this *now* and forgetting about the hoopla of 3D Printed Guns smile If 3D Printing *didn't* make this all easier - DefenseDistributed wouldn't exist, and I assume everyone championing the right to 3D Print a gun would just be out in their back shed making it on a CNC and lathe already ?

adrian wrote:

If 3D Printing *didn't* make this all easier - DefenseDistributed wouldn't exist, and I assume everyone championing the right to 3D Print a gun would just be out in their back shed making it on a CNC and lathe already ?

I'm pretty sure they are and have been for years :-).

First off I won't argue the laws or the numbers but in the UK a murder isn't' a murder unless someone is convicted

most people in the US don't care about 3d print weapons.

The reason i think people in the US and Canada enjoy the idea of making things that go boom is its fun and its legal the same reason you make a rocket or a potato peeler or anything you make it to use or to see ti work or just to show that you can

It's simple. Governments train you to fear what they see as something that can effectively challeng their authority and ability to maintain rule over you. So they hype the whole idea of something they fear. Just like the printing press crushed the churches ultimate rule in the west, and the gun crushed feudalism as a successful method of rule, the thought of an effective challenging force that can be armed and primed without requiring mass organizations to establish effective strategies scares the hell out of them. Combine the Internet with a print and shoot technology and you have a ruling class scrambling to make sure they don't lose power.  Fear not though, I'm sure the next ruling class will love you as much as the current ones do.

Damn. Shouldn't post before I have my second cup of coffee..   lol

...progression of the concept

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Yeah, people & organizations worry way too much. There are far deadlier things that take a lot less work/cost/engineering to make, for instance, look at this YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

http://www.slingshotchannel.com/

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

I gotta say I've never seen a slingshot machete before smile

Cool - thanks guys.

Biggest thing to bear in mind - Governments don't legislate reality, they legislate perception.

There isn't a wide-spread perception issues regarding slingshot-machete (due to wide spread ignorance), QED, they don't need to legislate them outside of the standard weapons laws (in Australia) that already cover that (from both our knife laws and our slingshot-classed-already-as-offensive-weapon stance). There *is* a perception issue with firearms.. hence the govt. legislates around them.

So yeah - always remember a governments job (from their perspective) is all about Perception Management - not actually Issue Management (hence with why they will pass ineffective and hole riddled legislation that wont change the status quo, but allows them to state that they have 'done something'.... )

Me, personally, would say if I was presented with such an issue if I cared about it (printing a 3D gun) would be, 'pick my battles'... if I can do it just as well 'anyway' in 'other ways'... then just let them have their perception management win, and move on - yes its a compromise but would seem to deliver the "win-win" take-away message for everyone wink

+1 for adrian

It's true about government creating laws about peoples perception however most peoples perception on 3d printing
have been from the media and just when the whole Cody Wilkinson liberator pistol started to widdle down
this popped up and will start creating more traffic for the media to exploit even though this was created with a half a million dollar printer, the news will spin it as "something that will soon come to the average consumer as the technology progresses everyday"

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

ronsii wrote:

I gotta say I've never seen a slingshot machete before smile

The slingshot crossbow is my favorite. smile

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government … astic-Guns  sigh and it starts

should have seen that coming...

Schumer says that 3D printing has made what "was once a hypothetical threat into a terrifying reality."

Filastruder

16 (edited by ysb 2013-11-27 18:29:44)

why do you want to print a 3d gun  to pass control ?

you can do a lot more with duty free zone...

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3022106/the- … ort-stores

very interesting article thanks for sharing

wow, metal 3D printed gun!
Does it functions as good as the real deal?

BotFeeder - Professionally Manufactured 3D Filament

I see there is blurb over at fabaloo about a printed revolver ---> http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2014/2/13/ … r-it-works

It's a little clunky looking but a clever design for printing.

ronsii wrote:

I see there is blurb over at fabaloo about a printed revolver ---> http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2014/2/13/ … r-it-works

It's a little clunky looking but a clever design for printing.

concealing that would be a challenge...

Filastruder

they can outlaw plastic guns all they want i still have my printer and all the files. Fuck the Government. smile

i printed a 5 shot revolver you have to manually turn the chamber/barrel combo and it needs a 22 barrel liner to be epoxied into it.... barrel liner is in the mail though! and its way smaller than that thing

MolecularConcept wrote:

they can outlaw plastic guns all they want i still have my printer and all the files. Fuck the Government. smile

i printed a 5 shot revolver you have to manually turn the chamber/barrel combo and it needs a 22 barrel liner to be epoxied into it.... barrel liner is in the mail though! and its way smaller than that thing

Pentagun? big_smile

SD2 w/ Heated bed. Mods: E3D MK5, Lawsy MKV, Glass Bed, printed filament stand

The whole point of owning a gun is to not have to conceal it. Seeing your gun lets other know to come correct or face the consequences. At the end of the day, everything is potentially a dangerous weapon. At this rate, it's only a matter of time before owning a home will become illegal because you can pull the siding off and hit someone with it.

Bad news Gov, everything is dangerous. All things cause cancer. Stop trying to "help".