Topic: Let's talk about Slic3r support material

I'm having a real hard time getting the support material to work correctly in Slic3r.  I posted something similar in someone elses topic a little while back, but did not elicit any direct responses.  So here it goes.

My problem is with the Overhang Threshold setting.

It doesn't seem to work, or at least it doesn't work as I thin it should.  When I enable support material I always end up with a model that is literally buried under support scaffolding.  I can change the density of the support by changing the pattern spacing, but changing the threshold angle doesn't seem to make any difference.

The way I understand it, if I set value of 0°, it should detect the angles that need support and work automatically.  If I set a value of 1°, it should for all intents and purposes not generate any support, as that would imply a vertical surface which shouldn't need any support.  Conversely, a 90° should generate support everywhere.  Even if the logic were reversed, I should still see a large difference between the 2 settings.  I DON'T  SEE ANY DIFFERENCE.

Here is a perfect example (please don't judge the subject matter, they're for my wife):  All this model needs is support under the mane curls, the chin and under a couple of the small wings.  Everything else shouldn't need support as it has around 45-50° overhangs.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=3105&download=0

This is what I get when I enable support in Slic3r.  It doesn't matter if I set the threshold to 0° (auto), 5°, 45°, or 85°.  I tried placing the objects in the Repetier interface and running Slic3r from there, and I also tried doing it directly in Slic3r, then exporting the code back to Repetier.  In all cases the results were the same.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=3106&download=0

So what am I doing wrong, or is this a problem wit SLic3r? 

I also used Kisslicer64, and it  has a working"overhang angle" slider that works.  You can see the difference in the output.  Unfortunately, Kisslicer no longer produces any useful output unless the model is perfect and error free, which most of the stuff I want to print is not.  Slic3r is much more forgiving of imperfect models, but the support material thing just drives me nuts.

Anyway, How are you guys using the support material feature?  do you have any tips or tweaks you can share?

Post's attachments

support 1.jpg
support 1.jpg 143.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

support 2.jpg 67.26 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Let's talk about Slic3r support material

I don't have any useful advice on this.  Just wanted to post so you know you are not alone.  Slic3r does the same thing for me.  It drives me nuts.

Slic3r support could use some improvement. The only cool improvement I've found is the "support for X number of layers". This has helped me minimize the support fail when I really did need some support.

Learn to use some kind of CAD program and add your own manually.  That's what I do when I really need support and the automated support generation is too much.

justsomeguy wrote:

Learn to use some kind of CAD program and add your own manually.  That's what I do when I really need support and the automated support generation is too much.

I have been doing just that.   I'm a Solidworks user and I'm also OK with Sketchup, but most of the models I want to print are either STL, OBJ, or their native format which is usually 3D Studio Max.  You can't inport those formats into Solidworks and edit them.

I find that the simplest way is to add the support using Repetier itself.  Here is what I do:

I made a very simple bar in Solidworks, it's about 3mm wide by .25mm thick and about 20mm long.  After I import the object in Repetier, I also import the bar, then I rotate it and scale it to fit just under the overhang.  I then copy it and place another copy , and another copy until the area is properly supported.  I also found that depending on the height of the support I may have to support the support itself, so I place the copies at 90° to each other and intersecting, so the support is a pretty solid zig zag. 

When I import the support bar, I uncheck the aspect ratio box, so I can scale the support unevenly as needed.  I also do the finer alignment by looking at the build platform from the bottom.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=3117&download=0

Post's attachments

support 3.jpg
support 3.jpg 201.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Nice, I would have never thought of using RH in that way...

Nice.  I use openscad which can import obj and stl files.  I make cylinders or cones as the support structures which is super easy with openscad.  I like your Repetier method and will likely try in the future.  Thanks for sharing.

cckens wrote:

Nice, I would have never thought of using RH in that way...

+1

instep is free and converts stl to stp. the stp gemoetry can be selected and used as work planes or whatever really.

for the record, i have the same issue with slic3r sad

saymo606 wrote:

instep is free and converts stl to stp. the stp gemoetry can be selected and used as work planes or whatever really.

Is anyone posting issues to Slic3er's github? They take pleasure in fixing things. It may be an intractable design problem, but it's worth a shot.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:
saymo606 wrote:

Is anyone posting issues to Slic3er's github? They take pleasure in fixing things. It may be an intractable design problem, but it's worth a shot.

Well, it took a while to figure out how and where to post it, but finally did, so the issue is now on the Slic3r Github. 

If you guys are interested in following it, here is the thread. Hopefully we get some answers.

https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues/1406

12 (edited by pirvan 2013-09-04 13:55:52)

solidoodlesupport wrote:
saymo606 wrote:

Well, the post about the problem's been up on Github for about 12 days, without a single comment from ANYONE. 

Unlike many other programmers which will respond to most posts, even if it's just to say that they can't do anything about it, AlexRj (Slic3r's programmer) only seems to pick and choose one out every 20-30 post to answer, and ignores the rest, so I don't hold much hope that this will ever be dealt with.

pirvan wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:
saymo606 wrote:

Well, the post about the problem's been up on Github for about 12 days, without a single comment from ANYONE. 

Unlike many other programmers which will respond to most posts, even if it's just to say that they can't do anything about it, AlexRj (Slic3r's programmer) only seems to pick and choose one out every 20-30 post to answer, and ignores the rest, so I don't hold much hope that this will ever be dealt with.

Alex is pretty good about answering stuff. However, people tend to ask the same question about 20-30 times a week. Make sure and subscribe to his github page, and read all of the docs for slic3r.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

However, people tend to ask the same question about 20-30 times a week. Make sure and subscribe to his github page, and read all of the docs for slic3r.

Not unlike these forums. :-)

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

2n2r5 wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

However, people tend to ask the same question about 20-30 times a week. Make sure and subscribe to his github page, and read all of the docs for slic3r.

Not unlike these forums. :-)

Yes, but at least someone will point to the already existing posts, even if it's just to berate them for not doing their due diligence in searching.

16 (edited by DigitalWhitewater 2013-09-05 07:16:12)

pirvan wrote:

... even if it's just to berate them for not doing their due diligence in searching.

I find the beratings sadistically amusing, keep up the great work everyone!
If folks are too lazy to search for themselves, they should deserve/except to get called out about it in a witty [usually] tactful manner.

What that saying.... "There's no stupid questions, only stupid answers." :-)

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

17 (edited by spapadim 2013-09-05 13:33:29)

Try angles greater than 90. No support is 180 (think of the angle of a tangent to a circle with axis parallel to x-y plane: top is 0 deg, sides are 90 deg, bottom is 180 deg). That said, I still cannot get it to do exactly what I want. My guess is that slic3r first prunes triangles whose tangent is below threshold, then projects remaining triangles onto x-y plane to find support area, then uses spacing in some way to decide where and how to place support over these areas... So the interplay between these parameters (angle and spacing) is non-intuitive. I'll have to "use the source" (github repo) to see if my guess is correct...

spapadim wrote:

Try angles greater than 90. No support is 180 (think of the angle of a tangent to a circle with axis parallel to x-y plane: top is 0 deg, sides are 90 deg, bottom is 180 deg). That said, I still cannot get it to do exactly what I want. My guess is that slic3r first prunes triangles whose tangent is below threshold, then projects remaining triangles onto x-y plane to find support area, then uses spacing in some way to decide where and how to place support over these areas... So the interplay between these parameters (angle and spacing) is non-intuitive. I'll have to "use the source" (github repo) to see if my guess is correct...

It would be fun to compare the algorithm for support in skeinforge and slic3r. It always seemed to work a bit better in skenforge.

spapadim wrote:

I already tried that.  Anything over 90° generates very little support, usually in the wrong place or only at extremities, adn sometimes the support is incomplete (like it never reaches the part it's supposed to support).  Not only that, but sometimes it takes like 3 times longer to generate the code.  Not very useful in my opinion.

One thing I found useful though is the option to generate support for the first ## layers even when the support checkbox is disabled.  That seems to generate support for the first 50 layers or so, and it works pretty well (like when you have a bottom surface which is not flat or it's slightly above the build surface.  That works OK.  You can input any number you want, but the support seems to top out at around 50 layers.  Additionally, it will only place support that starts on the build platform, and no support above the actual model surface

Admittedly I've never tried slicing anything this intricate (mostly boxy parts, that need little support on sharp overhangs). Do you mind posting STL?

Last part I tried gave me some trouble.. changing angle even by 2 deg and spacing by .05 made a difference between no support or half-missing support, and decent support.. and that was on a completely flat 180 deg surface (a bit thin and long, though). So.. not intuitive, definitely. smile

pirvan wrote:
spapadim wrote:

I already tried that.  Anything over 90° generates very little support, usually in the wrong place or only at extremities, adn sometimes the support is incomplete (like it never reaches the part it's supposed to support).  Not only that, but sometimes it takes like 3 times longer to generate the code.  Not very useful in my opinion.

One thing I found useful though is the option to generate support for the first ## layers even when the support checkbox is disabled.  That seems to generate support for the first 50 layers or so, and it works pretty well (like when you have a bottom surface which is not flat or it's slightly above the build surface.  That works OK.  You can input any number you want, but the support seems to top out at around 50 layers.  Additionally, it will only place support that starts on the build platform, and no support above the actual model surface

Ah:
https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues/1082

Broken in 0.9.10b, fixed in master..

22 (edited by pirvan 2013-09-06 06:55:38)

spapadim wrote:

Ah:
https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues/1082

Broken in 0.9.10b, fixed in master..

Well, that's nice, but the "master" hasn't been posted in binary format, and since I'm not a programming guy I woudn't know how to compile the new version from the source code.

Do you know of any source for the latest binaries?

Edit:

Here is the STL model of the Little Pony

Post's attachments

fluttershy (smooth).stl 2.6 mb, 14 downloads since 2013-09-06 

23 (edited by spapadim 2013-09-06 12:38:17)

I don't think there are nightly builds. You can either wait (judging by past release cycles, and by the fact that there's just 3 issues open for 0.9.11 milestone, a new release is overdue -- after summer vacation, perhaps smile or downgrade. If you really want to buld from git, its not too complicated, eg Windows:
https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/wiki/R … on-Windows
(Google "slic3r build" for other platforms).

Edit: And, by glancing at source, it seems my guess was way off... For one, threshold applies to angle between layer edges not triangles -- and generally everything is done on toolpaths, not the original mesh?

Edit2: Not near computer, may give STL shot over weekend..

try messing with interface layers for support. i usually print 1 interface layer minimum, this creates a little gap between the support and the part its supporting, making the support structure literally just peal off, leaving a nearly perfect model. ive printed some complex figures with full support using this method and had minimal cleanup to do. i unfortunately didn't take a picture before acetone bathing the last one, when i print another i'll take pictures of the whole process to illustrate my point.

The issue is not that I can't peel it off, I can, the problem is that there is very little control over where the support should go.  Becuase the angle threshold feature dis not working, you have no cntrol, and you het it everywhere, so it's "all or nothing" kind of situation.

It's also very wasteful, depending on the amount of support it generates, you could have more plastic going into the support than in the model itself. 

Here is the example I posted on GitHub, model itslef is only requires about 3200mm of filament, while the supported model is in excess of 7200mm more than twice.

https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/5299691/1020331/5e6f5e54-0c8e-11e3-8ff4-c91b5c28f6a7.jpg