76 (edited by Stevos758 2013-12-13 14:11:48)

Re: Beta of latest Marlin_V1 w/ Solidoodle Patches (Oct-13) (All Boards)

Alright, So my brain was just working a little bit.

My idea would be to zero the nozzle directly to the bed. Start at 0. In the firmware have an option in slicer or Gcode to raise your nozzle up to desired height on the first layer.

Say your first layer height was .35mm. Your nozzle goes to zero at the start of the print and in your settings you have your nozzle raise up to .3mm (or desired setting) before the print starts to get that extra squish.

Is this something you geniuses could work in?

Stevos758 wrote:

Alright, So my brain was just working a little bit.

My idea would be to zero the nozzle directly to the bed. Start at 0. In the firmware have an option in slicer or Gcode to raise your nozzle up to desired height on the first layer.

Say your first layer height was .35mm. Your nozzle goes to zero at the start of the print and in your settings you have your nozzle raise up to .3mm (or desired setting) before the print starts to get that extra squish.

Is this something you geniuses could work in?

Ehm... What exactly? Isn't it the way it works now? You can already set the first layer height in Slic3r.

Maybe..

hahaha.

I guess I was always under the impression that your first layer is whatever you adjust it to using your Z stop.

I guess I never thought of it like that.

I thought you had to set the first layer in the slicer so it would know how far above the bed the nozzle sits when it is homed?

I don't know if the slicer is bright enough to deal with that value being set to zero (might be interesting to try it).

It would certainly make more sense to me to set the home position to being directly on the print bed then let the software decide how much to raise the nozzle off the bed for the 1st layer. A lot less screwing around with shims and such (assuming you can get the bed level detection to work using the nozzle itself).

Claghorn wrote:

I thought you had to set the first layer in the slicer so it would know how far above the bed the nozzle sits when it is homed?

I don't know if the slicer is bright enough to deal with that value being set to zero (might be interesting to try it).

It would certainly make more sense to me to set the home position to being directly on the print bed then let the software decide how much to raise the nozzle off the bed for the 1st layer. A lot less screwing around with shims and such (assuming you can get the bed level detection to work using the nozzle itself).

Yes. This is what I meant!

That is how I thought the current setup worked.

Much less messing around if we could get it to work the other way.

Claghorn wrote:

No, the first layer height actually corresponds to a move in the Z direction to that height. You will see it around line 10 of your gcode (G1 Z0.3)

It would certainly make more sense to me to set the home position to being directly on the print bed.

This is the idea: you are using a 0.1mm sheet of paper for the calibration because when the nozzle heats up it becomes slightly longer and it will almost touch the bed.

Hi guys,
I uploaded the new firmware on my Sanguinololu board on SD3 in an attempt of getting rid of the "last line is not line number..." error that is plaguing from time to time my Octoprint-based setup

I've noticed that the thermistor settings have been changed, thermistors type in Lawsy's repo was 6, and in Adrian's repo is is 1.
The comments explain the profile 1 is more accurate than profile 6, but I've noticed that my heated bed set up at 100C was not heating as much as before. In fact according to the IR thermometer it was 80C. I know it is not a reliable tool but print adhesion to the glass was surely worse.
I didn't see any problem with the extrusion though, the temperature graph for the extruder is almost flat while there was some sine wave pattern before. I wonder if the famous Solidoodle 195C setting for the extruder, which is like 235C in practice, is still valid or not.
There is also an interesting thread about temperature discrepancies between boards, here http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4854/why … -reading/.

What's your opinion about this?

Cheers
Nick

83 (edited by adrian 2013-12-13 23:09:53)

I'm flat out this morning, but in brief:

1) Thermistor settings are updated to reflect what Solidoodle have in THEIR firmware from June. This also includes their altered acceleration settings. I commented on it back on the first post and outlined some of the changes.  I did the updates to lawsys firmware back in May last, and in May, they still had 6.

Regarding the tables themselves - they are the same Marlin tables as used by the entire rest of the reprap community pretty much...

As for the Bed temp - Yes forget the IR thermometer for measurement. Did you also enable BEDPID and if you have, have you tuned it using the M303 E-1 S90 C8 command and pasted the updated values back into the BEDPID stuff ? If you really want - simply change the thermistor setting back to 6 - Its an inferior table that even admits that in the firmware.. *shrug*

Finally - the Nozzle temp is entirely unrelated to the motherboard. It is a factor of where Solidoodle place their Thermistors on the nozzle. Yes your temp limits still apply as its still effectively 'real temp - 25-35°'.

adrian wrote:

Finally - the Nozzle temp is entirely unrelated to the motherboard. It is a factor of where Solidoodle place their Thermistors on the nozzle. Yes your temp limits still apply as its still effectively 'real temp - 25-35°'.

But solidoodle says it is different on different motherboards (which is mighty confusing): See the FAQ for "What are the operational temperatures for the Solidoodle?" on http://www.solidoodle.com/faq/

Better ADC on different chip? Different pull-up on motherboard? Solidoodle is wrong? Who knows :-).

All 10 bit ADCs

86 (edited by adrian 2013-12-14 01:31:34)

I personally fully discount the firmware from this.

Refer my much longer dissection of John's post over at http://www.soliforum.com/post/44280/#p44280 . At this stage the conversation is much better suited to that thread, as it really isn't anything to do with firmware thats plausible at this point in time.

Sure, I will follow that thread.
I reverted back to table 6 for both thermistors because I have the impression the layers are more fragile when the extruder is run with the table 1, all other settings equal, therefore I think the table 1 is making temperatures lower than expected.
I definitely need a thermocouple of something else...

By the way, I let you know if the new FW has improved comms... because I was getting "last line is not line number..." error sometimes.

adrian, hello!
In this topic: http://www.soliforum.com/post/43219/#p43219 Rincewind said that you are working on nice and easy tool to upgrade SD 2 Printboard. Could you please say me, when can we wait it...?

Its coming still - was waiting for a security audit to finish and had to clean a few things up functionality wise. Should be out this weekend - unfortunately the 'silly season' is well and truly upon me with work so not had much time at all to focus on it past week.

90 (edited by pastprimitive 2014-02-05 01:34:56)

(Adrian) So I flashed your beta to my SD3 Sanguino w/ panelolou2. 

It works mostly.  A few issues I had. 

When I would run a print my y axis would be off immediately.  As soon as I clicked kill job or a print would finish it would send it a few mm past it's y limit. 

Didn't recognize as Solidoodle rather an unidentified mendel machine.

Would have a second extruder enabled.  Even though I though i checked and only one was enabled in my configuration.h file.

Nice to have a cutting edge version of marlin, especially since I have the panelolou 2 and I've had to run my own modified marlin firmwares to get that to work. but yours is much more comprehensive and awesome!

made any progress on a cleaned up version of your beta?

Thanks so much!

Hi Adrian    my name is Bill   I am begging for your  Help. I got get my SD3 and Panelulo 2 to work
My SD3 came Dec 24Th 2013 my Panelolu in March 2014  I have tried all suggestions from the forum and every Version of Marlin and Arduino they have recommended and each comb gives me a different set of error codes  I an not a programmer  Could you please tell me step by step from start to finish what I need to do to make this work . I know I am asking a lot  Please help me  My email address is    [email protected]   or [email protected]   Thank you for your time
PS  the Mother Board  says   Solidoodle   REV 3

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

slimstar2 wrote:

Hi Adrian    my name is Bill   I am begging for your  Help. I got get my SD3 and Panelulo 2 to work
My SD3 came Dec 24Th 2013 my Panelolu in March 2014  I have tried all suggestions from the forum and every Version of Marlin and Arduino they have recommended and each comb gives me a different set of error codes

Bill, may I suggest you give a step by step list in as much detail as you can about what you *are* doing now.  I think the reason you are not getting an answer is that your descriptions are too vague to even know where to start.

Thank you tealvince I am leaving for a trip But I will get back to it next week. Basically I need to know how to get Panelolu2 ( from Think3D Print 3d) to work with  my SD3   (Solidoodle Mother board Rev 3 ).What IDE to use (version and link ) What firmware (Marlin version ?) and what steps in what order I need to do . I have a basic set of computing skills but I am not a programmer. I have tried so many suggestions that I am totally confused. I can"t imagine that I am the only person to ever try to connect a Panelolu 2 to a Solidoodle 3 Rev 3. I think I need to start from scratch and am looking for help in doing that .   Thank you for taking time to talk to me      Bill D.

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

Hello
I have uploaded the firmware to my Ramps 1.4 (Sainsmart). And when I go to Repetier hit the heat extruder button it does nothing. I found that when I use Gcode PID it heats the extruder. Also if I use the Fan on and of button it heats the extruder. The bed temp is no showing at the bottom next to extruder temp.
Thanks for your time