Re: Beta of latest Marlin_V1 w/ Solidoodle Patches (Oct-13) (All Boards)

rjp350z wrote:

I got about 90% of the design for the mount done and have the code working on spare ramps board.

Just need to print and put it all together to test.

BTW..  Design is based on using an Hitech HS 55 Mini Servo I had laying around. 

Attached is the AutoCAD rendering I have so far

Will keep you all updated

Thanks, that's interesting! Where is it supposed to be mounted? On top of the extruder facing the left side?

52 (edited by rjp350z 2013-11-28 15:47:39)

Rincewind wrote:
rjp350z wrote:

I got about 90% of the design for the mount done and have the code working on spare ramps board.

Just need to print and put it all together to test.

BTW..  Design is based on using an Hitech HS 55 Mini Servo I had laying around. 

Attached is the AutoCAD rendering I have so far

Will keep you all updated

Thanks, that's interesting! Where is it supposed to be mounted? On top of the extruder facing the left side?

Right now I have it setup to be at the back of the extruder motor (but not sure of the exact clearance yet at the back of the SD3) and it will sit right on top of Lawsy's top carriage for the x-y carriage replacement. Tried making so it can just slide right under the extruder motor chamfers fro testing purposes..  still need to work out all the clearances and the best final mounting location.

If it works out the way I have it so far the micro switch should sit about 3mm below the nozzle tip.  I'm printing the 1st test piece now and hope to try and get it tested while I have a long weekend to work on it.

Here is a better representation with some more layers turned on

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 10.44.37 AM.png 351.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

rjp350z wrote:

Right now I have it setup to be at the back of the extruder motor (but not sure of the exact clearance yet at the back of the SD3) and it will sit right on top of Lawsy's top carriage for the x-y carriage replacement. Tried making so it can just slide right under the extruder motor chamfers fro testing purposes..  still need to work out all the clearances and the best final mounting location.

Check exactly how that works with the Z homing. I had a quick look at the code, and I think that it expects the switch to get triggered also during a "normal" homing move, so with X and Y in the top-right corner. Placing it in the back of the extruder motor might not result in the desired behavior.

But I might be wrong, as I said, I only had a quick look at the code.

Rincewind wrote:
rjp350z wrote:

Check exactly how that works with the Z homing. I had a quick look at the code, and I think that it expects the switch to get triggered also during a "normal" homing move, so with X and Y in the top-right corner. Placing it in the back of the extruder motor might not result in the desired behavior.

But I might be wrong, as I said, I only had a quick look at the code.

Rince, The micro switch is designed to move up and out of the way once the bed leveling routine is done.  Being the end stops switches are wired NC then I am going to wire the original z-endstop and the new Microswitch is series. This way I will still have the original endstop in place for the z homing

rjp350z wrote:

Rince, The micro switch is designed to move up and out of the way once the bed leveling routine is done.  Being the end stops switches are wired NC then I am going to wire the original z-endstop and the new Microswitch is series. This way I will still have the original endstop in place for the z homing

Sounds good. I agree with you. BTW what motherboard are you using?

I've been tinkering with the firmware until now. Important update: the servos WILL NOT WORK with an Atmega644 chip (the old SD original chip) because it only has one 16bit timer, and it is already used by the motors. The servos need another one.

You will either need a Printrboard or a Sanguinololu with a 1284p (or a RAMPS). For the Printrboard things might work out of the box (provided that the correct pin mappings are used), but for the Sanguinololu a patch is necessary. I will submit it shortly.

It is possible that with great programming effort we might be able to support a 644 chip in the future, but I think it is not worth it.

Rincewind wrote:
rjp350z wrote:

Sounds good. I agree with you. BTW what motherboard are you using?

I've been tinkering with the firmware until now. Important update: the servos WILL NOT WORK with an Atmega644 chip (the old SD original chip) because it only has one 16bit timer, and it is already used by the motors. The servos need another one.

You will either need a Printrboard or a Sanguinololu with a 1284p (or a RAMPS). For the Printrboard things might work out of the box (provided that the correct pin mappings are used), but for the Sanguinololu a patch is necessary. I will submit it shortly.

It is possible that with great programming effort we might be able to support a 644 chip in the future, but I think it is not worth it.

I could never figure out the servo on the SANG w/P1284 so I have been doing all testing with a ramps.  Once I get everything working I will do the final conversion from SANG to ramps permanently.

rjp350z wrote:

I could never figure out the servo on the SANG w/P1284 so I have been doing all testing with a ramps.  Once I get everything working I will do the final conversion from SANG to ramps permanently.

Yeah it was a real PITA. I was about to give up when I actually read the datasheet of the 1284p... In the end it's just a couple of lines of code, fortunately, so if you want to keep your sanguinololu you can smile

Rince

Would be nice if you could share the 1284 code being that is what I still have on my sd3.

This way I can test live without having to do full conversion to the ramps at this point

rjp350z wrote:

Rince

Would be nice if you could share the 1284 code being that is what I still have on my sd3.

This way I can test live without having to do full conversion to the ramps at this point

Sure! I will do a proper pull request on Adrian's repo as son as I'm convinced that it actually works, but the modification in the end boils down to this in the Servo.h file:

-#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega32U4__)
+#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega32U4__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega1284P__)

that is, add ' || defined(__AVR_ATmega1284P__) ' at the end of that #elif line.

My servo is a bit buzzing and not moving so smoothly, but it works in principle. I am not sure why though.

As a sidenote, I moved my fan to pin 27 (the one immediately below the pin commonly used) because I thought I needed a PWM pin for the servo (I didn't) and the servo control pin is now pin 4. For this reason, I enabled the software PWM for the fan, and it works much better than with HW pwm (finer speed control).

So my pins.h file now has:

#define FAN_PIN 27 // FS: Pin 4 is used for the servo
#define FAN_SOFT_PWM

#ifdef NUM_SERVOS
    #define SERVO0_PIN 4
#endif

60 (edited by adrian 2013-11-29 07:06:01)

I'll tweak the stuff in source.

Re software PWM - the new soft_pwm scaling options pretty cool in the new version. Theres some other stuff not just down from the traditional fast_pwm  but there is other scaling stuff in config_adv.h

The other thing to watch - Max value is now more correctly 255 vs 256... so 'full current' is 255 NOT 256 as per older marlin. Ditto for extruder power (where with a 40W cartridge, there is benefit running 128 for more stable setpoint)....

Re servo jiggyness - depending on where you pull your servo power from, it could be worth adding a smoothing cap to its +/- pair.. just throw a 10uF or greater cap across its power lines (correctly orientated of course) - rough power input to a servo will cause it to 'jiggle' even microscopically, because it uses an internal potentiometer as its encoder. With a wavering V+ line, the resistance will change across that pot...  so you want clean power sources or a filter cap...
Not saying thats the issue - just its worth checking/trying...

Thanks Rince + Adrian - will give that a try later today

Here is a quick video showing the mount + servo working with the ramps board.  Need a little fine tuning then should be redy to install on the SD3.

https://vimeo.com/80620647

Still cant Spare Sang to recognize the servo.  There might be a problem with the actual board so I am going to keep testing fro now on the ramps

It looks very nice! Keep us posted! I will work on my mount over the weekend.

Ah another thing re: positioning of the switch. If you enable the auto bed leveling and you specify a Z offset between the switch and the extruder head, that offset is then assumed to be true any time you hit the Z switch, also during normal homing. I hadn't even installed the servo and my print was starting in mid-air yesterday! Careful about that when you use the double switches.

HMM..  Got to look into that.  thought the autobed endstop is just used for the offset calculation then once the routine is finished and the switch is retracted out of the way the original Z-endstop would be used for homing purposes.

rjp350z wrote:

HMM..  Got to look into that.  thought the autobed endstop is just used for the offset calculation then once the routine is finished and the switch is retracted out of the way the original Z-endstop would be used for homing purposes.

Rince,  I think you are right.  I hard mounted the switch temporarily to the front of he Extruder in attached picture just to test.

Once I do the G29 it probes correctly but when the print starts if the G28 is called for Homing then I think it screws everything up.

Gotta take out the G28 from the startup Gcode and test again after this print finishes

Post's attachments

IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG 1.51 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The code and the switch seem to be working fine I'm just not getting the "squish" on the 1st layer and the tip still seems to be a little far from the than it should be.  My start Gcode set the 1st layer height to .35 like usual. Need to walk away and some food and drunk to clear my mind a little wink

rjp350z wrote:

The code and the switch seem to be working fine I'm just not getting the "squish" on the 1st layer and the tip still seems to be a little far from the than it should be.  My start Gcode set the 1st layer height to .35 like usual. Need to walk away and some food and drunk to clear my mind a little wink

Oops. Meant drink.   But drunk will do just fine wink

rjp350z wrote:
rjp350z wrote:

Oops. Meant drink.   But drunk will do just fine wink

Congratulations! I'm officially jealous now smile

I've still been having trouble with my Ramps since my upgrade. Anybody get this new firmware all working on their ATmega/Ramps setup? I'd luv to get a copy of your configuration to try out.

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

DigitalWhitewater wrote:

I've still been having trouble with my Ramps since my upgrade. Anybody get this new firmware all working on their ATmega/Ramps setup? I'd luv to get a copy of your configuration to try out.

I have not installed the ramps to the printer yet but during testing I got the servo + the VIKI LCD all to work.  Once I finish with the bed leveling I will be converting to the Ramps permanently .

What types of problems are you having?

Hey guys! The bed leveling feature works for me as well! It's amazing!

I apologize for the voice in the video but I'm kind of a zombie at the moment. smile

I will post the instructions tomorrow (a couple of more changes in the Configuration.h file are needed).

As promised, the guide to my setup: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4714/aut … -level-23/

74 (edited by Rincewind 2013-12-04 19:11:54)

Adrian, can you please realign your repo with base Marlin? It includes some important fixes for auto bed leveling (for safely homing the bed with the Z probe). Thanks!

Edit: if you don't have time don't worry, I gave it a go today but I still need to test if it compiles at all, tomorrow I'll have some time.

Shall we ask Lawsy to upload the firmware to his repo so we keep the "community" firmware in one place? I think this version is fairly well-tested now.