Topic: Solidoodle Review Compilation

List of Solidoodle reviews and unboxings...

Feel free to leave comments about solidoodle reviews and such here, or suggest more to add to the list.

Re: Solidoodle Review Compilation

While not a proper review, this may help customers:
http://reviews.cnet.com/3d-printers/sol … 88066.html

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Not really a review and not a solidoodle 2 but I found this useful:

http://renaissance-engineer.net/2011/12 … -the-wild/

See my full review on my blog:

robots-and-androids.com/solidoodle-review.html

I bought the Solidoodle II. I printed, I was happy. Less than a week later the print head jammed. After many emails back and forth with Solidoodle support, it is still jammed. Now, not happy.

Its a startup. Get a grip. There will be delays.

RiversideRobots wrote:

I bought the Solidoodle II. I printed, I was happy. Less than a week later the print head jammed. After many emails back and forth with Solidoodle support, it is still jammed. Now, not happy.

A head filled with crap is hardly SD's fault, don't you think?  Figure out what's blocking it and clean it out.  Expecting a replacement head is akin to me expecting a new engine because I put gas in my car that contained dirt.

The first thing you should do is order a roll of 1/4" Kapton.  Anything you do with the nozzle will require taking the thermistor off, and you will need to be able to tape it back on.  I get a lot of use out my roll for taping anything to the printer, like fan cables, etc.

Solidoodle support will recommend using a guitar string to clear a clog, but if that doesn't work they are reluctant to recommend the next steps because they involve acetone or a torch.  Acetone will either blow up in your face or kill you if you breathe any of it, except when your daughter is using it to remove nail polish.  If you use a torch, you will burn your house down and tell the courts that Solidoodle told you to do it.  So I will tell you to do it instead.

Undo the thermistor and heater connectors on the side of the extruder.  Take out the four bolts holding it to the motor and pull the motor out, setting it on the back of the carriage.   Unscrew the nuts on the bottom that hold it to the carriage and take the extruder out of the printer.  Basically follow Lawsy's directions in reverse until you have the hot end clear of the acrylic extruder - http://www.soliforum.com/topic/235/extr … bly-guide/  You don't have to take the idler arm (the part with the bearing) completely apart, just remove it from the rest of the extruder.

Take off the black insulating sleeves and slice the Kapton on the nozzle to free the thermistor.  Put a socket on the nozzle and hold the black barrel with some pliers, preferably with some fabric or something to keep from scratching it.  Gently turn the nozzle with the socket wrench.  Probably the brass barrel will start to unscrew from the PEEK (the black barrel).  If the nozzle comes off the brass barrel instead, your job got easier. 

Once the brass barrel is free, unscrew the ceramic heat core, taking it out the top.  Find two nut that will fit the barrel and thread them on a little ways.  Hold the bottom nut with a wrench and tighten the top nut against it to lock them in place.  You will use the nuts as a handle for the wrench so you can hold the barrel without mashing the threads.   Hold the bottom nut with a wrench while you use a socket to remove the nozzle.

Here is what the top of the barrel will look like, depending on the color of filament you used -
http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5384.jpg

The usual cause of clogs is the ABS sits at high temperature too long and begins to degrade to the point where it is burned, and won't melt and flow anymore.  If that is the case, the bottom of the barrel might look like this-

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5385.jpg

And the inside of the nozzle like this-

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5386.jpg

If the plastic it was extruding before you took it apart seemed a little brittle and had brown spots in it, that was probably a sign of burnt plastic.

You can soak the nozzle and barrel in acetone for a day or so and hope it clears up, but acetone is less effective on burned plastic.  What you can do instead is clear them out with a torch.  Warm the barrel up enough to soften the plastic and use a wire or something to push and pull out whatever you can.  After that clean the nozzle and the barrel the rest of the way using a torch following the directions in this video-

http://youtu.be/6bTfl35zlHE

When you are done, put it all back together.  Put the barrel on the nozzle finger tight and then turn it 1/4 turn with the socket.  Tighten the heat core against the nozzle finger tight.  When you tape the thermistor on, make sure it is sealed, and no ambient air will get to it under the tape.

Once you have the printer up and running again, don't let it sit idle with the extruder at temperature.  Always keep the heat off, or under 80C until you are ready to start printing.  It doesn't take long to warm up (unlike the bed) so it isn't that much of an inconvenience.

I think all of us has had clogs on different levels.. Mine was clogged when I got it. Forcing a que-tip without the cotton on it made my clog expanded up the extruder so I could pull it out.

This had nothing to do with solidoodle though, it was caused by me for trying to extrude at too low temperature... This being my first 3d printer I knew I was gonna mess up sooner or later, and face the 2 hours of frustration to get it fixed.
But blaming the machine for my on faults, good luck with that... When you managed to burn your fingers, is that the machines fault too?
Most embarrassing review Ive ever seen for a long while...

Very impressed by Ian trying to help you out, as always.

RiversideRobots wrote:

RiversideRobots wrote:

This review is pretty spot on. I do not recommend Solidoodle at this point either. Mine shipped with broken part, then nozzle jammed after just couple of prints and no it was not on for long time while not printing. I cleaned that up and finally my heat core broke and printer is not working for last 4 weeks. I am still waiting for new print head that I've been told will be sent but that was said almost 2 weeks ago and I do not have tracking number yet.

So there are obviously problems with printer. There are problems with support being very slow. I just can't recommend the printer at this time.

If I have known this I would not have bought Solidoodle rather built printer myself and dealt with problems on machine that I know inside out...

The interesting part about most of the complaints is that the components that fail the most (Hot end clogs, motors, etc) are the same components used on most of the competition's equipment. Jumping to another supplier will only cause the wallet to be lighter and the user will experience the same issues. Granted, the support for Solidoodle is rather slow but that is to be expected when working with a company that is considered a startup company. I am thoroughly satisfied with my printer and actually like to tinker around with the maintenance aspect of the printer. Those things will not change with a different brand of filament extruder. Obviously the person that touches a 200 degree C hot end will burn his/her fingers. That is common sense. I've lightly touched mine a few times and that just serves as a reminder that those things get hot. That is nothing that I am going to complain about.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

The best support in the world can't diminish the need for a little common sense. Shipping issues and broken machines, I can understand the negativity there but basic issues all 3d printers encounter should not fall upon support as a machine issue/defect.

devilman2075 wrote:

The best support in the world can't diminish the need for a little common sense. Shipping issues and broken machines, I can understand the negativity there but basic issues all 3d printers encounter should not fall upon support as a machine issue/defect.

I agree as far as nozzle clogging which could be categorized as maintenance issue, but for example heat core shorting out after just couple of hours of use is machine issue and material defect. If somebody sold you a stove on which heating element shortens out after you used stove for couple of hours what would you call it?

I think people generally will tolerate these issues to an extent and only IF support is prompt. But if you have to wait couple of weeks for clearly broken part then, well, I don't see how company can succeed long-term... :-(

tek wrote:
devilman2075 wrote:

I agree as far as nozzle clogging which could be categorized as maintenance issue, but for example heat core shorting out after just couple of hours of use is machine issue and material defect. If somebody sold you a stove on which heating element shortens out after you used stove for couple of hours what would you call it?

I think people generally will tolerate these issues to an extent and only IF support is prompt. But if you have to wait couple of weeks for clearly broken part then, well, I don't see how company can succeed long-term... :-(

What you have to understand is that we are in a major shipping bind in the moment. It is hard to imagine from the outside, but we are in an all hands on deck situation. Every day we are stretching the capabilities of our staff. I'm sorry we couldn't get the part to you faster, but you were not forgotten.

Our continued existence as a company hinges on our ability to cut down on the lead time, and so some repairs have been delayed over this. We are here to help, and believe me we understand that your particular situation was frustrating.

IanJohnson wrote:

The first thing you should do is order a roll of 1/4" Kapton.  Anything you do with the nozzle will require taking the thermistor off, and you will need to be able to tape it back on.  I get a lot of use out my roll for taping anything to the printer, like fan cables, etc.

Solidoodle support will recommend using a guitar string to clear a clog, but if that doesn't work they are reluctant to recommend the next steps because they involve acetone or a torch.  Acetone will either blow up in your face or kill you if you breathe any of it, except when your daughter is using it to remove nail polish.  If you use a torch, you will burn your house down and tell the courts that Solidoodle told you to do it.  So I will tell you to do it instead.

Undo the thermistor and heater connectors on the side of the extruder.  Take out the four bolts holding it to the motor and pull the motor out, setting it on the back of the carriage.   Unscrew the nuts on the bottom that hold it to the carriage and take the extruder out of the printer.  Basically follow Lawsy's directions in reverse until you have the hot end clear of the acrylic extruder - http://www.soliforum.com/topic/235/extr … bly-guide/  You don't have to take the idler arm (the part with the bearing) completely apart, just remove it from the rest of the extruder.

Take off the black insulating sleeves and slice the Kapton on the nozzle to free the thermistor.  Put a socket on the nozzle and hold the black barrel with some pliers, preferably with some fabric or something to keep from scratching it.  Gently turn the nozzle with the socket wrench.  Probably the brass barrel will start to unscrew from the PEEK (the black barrel).  If the nozzle comes off the brass barrel instead, your job got easier. 

Once the brass barrel is free, unscrew the ceramic heat core, taking it out the top.  Find two nut that will fit the barrel and thread them on a little ways.  Hold the bottom nut with a wrench and tighten the top nut against it to lock them in place.  You will use the nuts as a handle for the wrench so you can hold the barrel without mashing the threads.   Hold the bottom nut with a wrench while you use a socket to remove the nozzle.

Here is what the top of the barrel will look like, depending on the color of filament you used -
http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5384.jpg

The usual cause of clogs is the ABS sits at high temperature too long and begins to degrade to the point where it is burned, and won't melt and flow anymore.  If that is the case, the bottom of the barrel might look like this-

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5385.jpg

And the inside of the nozzle like this-

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5386.jpg

If the plastic it was extruding before you took it apart seemed a little brittle and had brown spots in it, that was probably a sign of burnt plastic.

You can soak the nozzle and barrel in acetone for a day or so and hope it clears up, but acetone is less effective on burned plastic.  What you can do instead is clear them out with a torch.  Warm the barrel up enough to soften the plastic and use a wire or something to push and pull out whatever you can.  After that clean the nozzle and the barrel the rest of the way using a torch following the directions in this video-

http://youtu.be/6bTfl35zlHE

When you are done, put it all back together.  Put the barrel on the nozzle finger tight and then turn it 1/4 turn with the socket.  Tighten the heat core against the nozzle finger tight.  When you tape the thermistor on, make sure it is sealed, and no ambient air will get to it under the tape.

Once you have the printer up and running again, don't let it sit idle with the extruder at temperature.  Always keep the heat off, or under 80C until you are ready to start printing.  It doesn't take long to warm up (unlike the bed) so it isn't that much of an inconvenience.

Ian, These are excellent photos - may I use them on the WIKI?

THANK YOU IAN JOHNSON ! ! ! ! smile

That is the most useful maintenance procedure that I have seen so far! Be sure to send us all a link if you do a video.

I think Solidoodle could use a bit more candor when explaining what can go wrong.  I am guessing that clearing clogs will be part of regular 3D maintenance, perhaps with each 10-20 hours of operation. A formal Solidoodle procedure for unclogging would certainly be welcomed.

Maybe Solidoodle can invent some sort of mechanical cleaning operation. Perhaps some sort of device that pushes out all of the molten plastic so that the barrel is cleaned after each use.

Also, I wish that Solidoodle would supply a small roll of Kapton tape for emergency repairs.

RiversideRobots wrote:

THANK YOU IAN JOHNSON ! ! ! ! smile

That is the most useful maintenance procedure that I have seen so far! Be sure to send us all a link if you do a video.

I think Solidoodle could use a bit more candor when explaining what can go wrong.  I am guessing that clearing clogs will be part of regular 3D maintenance, perhaps with each 10-20 hours of operation. A formal Solidoodle procedure for unclogging would certainly be welcomed.

Maybe Solidoodle can invent some sort of mechanical cleaning operation. Perhaps some sort of device that pushes out all of the molten plastic so that the barrel is cleaned after each use.

Also, I wish that Solidoodle would supply a small roll of Kapton tape for emergency repairs.

Well there is a formal guide here: http://wiki.solidoodle.com/unclogging-procedures
It doesn't reference the torch thing, but we think that's a bit extreme for average users.

We have the clogging issue on our minds, but it's a big problem across the entire industry. I am told many companies are simply resigned to selling customers new nozzles. I'm sure the solution for this will not come instantly.

The Mojo gets around it by giving you a whole new hot end with every $300 spool of plastic.

IanJohnson wrote:

The Mojo gets around it by giving you a whole new hot end with every $300 spool of plastic.

This is common in the higher end industry. I'm not sure I approve.

19 (edited by Jason 2012-11-27 00:05:47)

Make Magazines winter edition buyers guide includes a pretty good and somewhat comical write up on the Solidoodle 2 and its competitors.  Download it here: http://blog.ultimaker.com/wp-content/up … ng_web.pdf

first solidoodle 3 review!!
engadget.com/2012/12/15/solidoodle-3-hands-on/

21 (edited by walshy002000 2012-12-20 01:41:17)

Review and comparison of SD2 to Up Mini and Cube

hothardware.com/Reviews/The-Definitive-3D-Printer-Roundup-Cubify-Up-Solidoodle/

Edit: Sorry couldn't post clickable link (too fewer posts)

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/19 … r-20130119

Surprised you guys missed this!

I just got my printer the other day and posted a 'first impressions' blog entry on my site: http://thehackerworkshop.com/?p=892

NogginBoink wrote:

I just got my printer the other day and posted a 'first impressions' blog entry on my site: http://thehackerworkshop.com/?p=892

By any chance did you try raising the temperature on the bed?

solidoodlesupport wrote:
NogginBoink wrote:

By any chance did you try raising the temperature on the bed?

I started at 80 degrees, went up to 85 degrees, then 90 degrees. Had the same problem. I'll continue to troubleshoot and tweak and create new threads here as needed. Thanks!