Re: Solidoodle Review Compilation

NogginBoink wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:
NogginBoink wrote:

I just got my printer the other day and posted a 'first impressions' blog entry on my site: http://thehackerworkshop.com/?p=892

By any chance did you try raising the temperature on the bed?

I started at 80 degrees, went up to 85 degrees, then 90 degrees. Had the same problem. I'll continue to troubleshoot and tweak and create new threads here as needed. Thanks!

You can try as high as 110 degrees.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/19 … r-20130119

Surprised you guys missed this!

It was posted here somewhere.

Noggin,

Search for threads called Glass bed and read them.  First off you should set your bed at 95-100C, second you should either use a case if you bought one or fashion plexiglass covers (or even cardboard) to keep the build enviroment warm.  The glass is just a sheet of glass from the hardware store clipped to the bed and you spray hairspray on it.  This helps with peeling and is what most of the advanced users are doing.  You just have to read up on it because you have to adjust the z stop so you don't crash your bed into the nozzle.

cmetzel wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

It was great working with the L.A times.

solidoodlesupport wrote:
cmetzel wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

I got contacted by Craig Nakano from LA Times through thingiverse for a phone charger mount thing I designed.  Asked me a handful of questions about it and 3d printing in general but I haven't seen an article about it.  I referred to SD a number of times in my responses and added a little promo at the end of the questions.  I'll let you know if I see the story.

cmetzel wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:
cmetzel wrote:

I got contacted by Craig Nakano from LA Times through thingiverse for a phone charger mount thing I designed.  Asked me a handful of questions about it and 3d printing in general but I haven't seen an article about it.  I referred to SD a number of times in my responses and added a little promo at the end of the questions.  I'll let you know if I see the story.

As I recall they were having issues getting Google Sketchup to export .STL files. It's kind of a wonky plug in at the moment.

IanJohnson wrote:

Solidoodle support will recommend using a guitar string to clear a clog, but if that doesn't work they are reluctant to recommend the next steps because they involve acetone or a torch.  Acetone will either blow up in your face or kill you if you breathe any of it, except when your daughter is using it to remove nail polish.  If you use a torch, you will burn your house down and tell the courts that Solidoodle told you to do it.  So I will tell you to do it instead.

I think the dangers of Acetone are sometimes a little overstated. In practical terms the toxicity isn't that high. It's flammable as hell, but I once accidentally drank half a pint of Acetone and I'm still here. You do produce acetone in your own bloodstream naturally, albeit in very small amounts.

More Solidoodle reviews/write-ups
http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/3d-news-2/why- … ight/13291
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/solido … ore-in-uk/

cmetzel wrote:

Noggin,

Search for threads called Glass bed and read them.  First off you should set your bed at 95-100C, second you should either use a case if you bought one or fashion plexiglass covers (or even cardboard) to keep the build enviroment warm.  The glass is just a sheet of glass from the hardware store clipped to the bed and you spray hairspray on it.  This helps with peeling and is what most of the advanced users are doing.  You just have to read up on it because you have to adjust the z stop so you don't crash your bed into the nozzle.

I live in Arizona and as such my garage work area stays between 90-104 degrees most days. I hope this warm print area helps enough so I don't have to cover my printer

john_matsukes wrote:

I live in Arizona and as such my garage work area stays between 90-104 degrees most days. I hope this warm print area helps enough so I don't have to cover my printer

If you try to print in PLA you may need an AC to cool it (not certain of that)

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

36 (edited by adrian 2013-06-18 16:15:06)

Downeasta wrote:

You have a lot of advice for someone who hasn't even received their printer yet big_smile

adrian wrote:
Downeasta wrote:

You have a lot of advice for someone who hasn't even received their printer yet big_smile

Be nice now!

john_matsukes wrote:
adrian wrote:
Downeasta wrote:

Be nice now!

Hey - I included a smiley! smile

My theory was that supposedly PLA needs to be cooled when printed.  I can remember Summertime temps easily reaching 120 in the shade when I was in Arizona before.

The ones picking on my posts about cooling may not be aware of the desert heat.  This being said, what is your ambient temperature of the room when you are printing PLA?

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

Granted we are still in Fahrenheit so I suppose that would need to be equated to your decadent celsius?  http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/images/smilies/roundies/biggrin_25521.gif

just trying to poke fun.

41 (edited by john_matsukes 2013-06-18 16:37:52)

I had a thought I am a truck driver and use one of those thermal electric 12v coolers in my truck to store food. The system works great and the parts are cheep and use very low power for operation . I wonder if I mounted one of the thermal electric cooler and motor parts and let it just blow the cooler air into the printer where needed?

42 (edited by adrian 2013-06-18 16:40:11)

Had not even the slightest issue when it was 40°C back earlier this year, which would be 104°F in your antiquated old imperial system that even the original divisors of (Those Zany Brits!) have given away big_smile

43 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-18 16:44:50)

john_matsukes wrote:

I had a thought I am a truck driver and use one of those thermal electric 12v coolers in my truck to store food. The system works great and the parts are cheep and use very low power for operation . I wonder if I mounted one of the thermal electric cooler and motor parts and let it just blow the cooler air into the printer where needed?

That's a good thought John. The problem comes that you don't want cold air in the build chamber just circulating. That will cool off your parts too quick and cause curling or layers to not stick together.

I was thinking about using the peltier coolers on my stepper motors just because I have way too many fans and the noise is getting to me. I found these things which I think will be perfect for that. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://www.amazon.com/TEC1-12706-Thermo … sim_misc_1

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

So I suppose the real question that should be answered on PLA.

What is the ideal room temp for printing PLA.
---------------------------------
As to the fridge, the only concern I would have is it getting too cold too quickly.

(are you an o/o? or whom do you drive for?)

adrian wrote:

Had not even the slightest issue when it was 40°C back earlier this year, which would be 104°F in your antiquated old imperial system that even the original divisors of (Those Zany Brits!) have given away big_smile

You really hate our systems of measurement don't you? tongue So do I some times.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

46 (edited by john_matsukes 2013-06-18 17:05:21)

Downeast wrote:

So I suppose the real question that should be answered on PLA.

What is the ideal room temp for printing PLA.
---------------------------------
As to the fridge, the only concern I would have is it getting too cold too quickly.

(are you an o/o? or whom do you drive for?)

It is not a fridge all it is is a cooling device that looks like a heat sink like the kind you see on car amps but powered. It only lowers the temperature in my cooler 20 degrees below outside ambient temps. the cooler is insulated the printer is not. I bet it would cooll but not enough to affect operation. It uses no cooolent of any kind. uses a TEC (thermo electric cooler) Basically it is a flat semiconductor device that displaces heat from one side to the other when current flows through it. There is also a heat sink and fan that attaches to the "hot side" to remove the heat. The other side is the "cold side" which does the cooling.

A simple fan on the extruder is plenty for PLA. No need to do exotic thermoelectric cooling.

48 (edited by mrsamnc 2013-07-14 01:41:45)

Okay, it's been some time since the "heated discussions" earlier in this thread, and lately it seems the talk has gone cold on reviews. I'd like to try and revive this and/or hear from recent customers on the current review of SoliDoodles and the company.

***Have any of the parts that have been known to break and/or problematic been upgraded or addressed by SoliDoodle?
***I see a lot of people stating their jigsaw extruder developing cracks. Is this still the case with the current models being sold/sent out?
***Assuming the website is correct (the SD 2 is listed as "in stock" so it should only be a 2-3 week lead time), are there any unexpected delays being experienced in shipping of SoliDoodle 2's?
***How would you rate SD Support now? Sounds like it was terrible back in October '12, but what about now?

I ask all of these questions to not only help others, but to help myself decide whether or not to invest in this company/product with a purchase. smile

Thanks in advance,
Sam

49 (edited by adrian 2013-07-14 04:41:17)

mrsamnc wrote:

Okay, it's been some time since the "heated discussions" earlier in this thread, and lately it seems the talk has gone cold on reviews. I'd like to try and revive this and/or hear from recent customers on the current review of SoliDoodles and the company.

***Have any of the parts that have been known to break and/or problematic been upgraded or addressed by SoliDoodle?

Only the Z-platform, which was due to them getting tired of breakages-in-transit... they've now replaced in with an Aluminium platform. Everything else at present remains... the same.

mrsamnc wrote:

***I see a lot of people stating their jigsaw extruder developing cracks. Is this still the case with the current models being sold/sent out?

Yup, and it will continue to do so. They have drill holes far to close to the edges of the acrylic, and pockets that again are too close. When working with acrylic, there is minimum distances and thicknesses that need to be observed - otherwise tensions will split bolt holes etc.. Only way to fix this is to redesign with more meat around the holes, or move away from it alltogether. They are 'investigating' a new printed extruder - but you'll never see the STL's for it so if it isn't here 'right now', you'll be expected to pay to 'upgrade' (read fix) the issue.

mrsamnc wrote:

***Assuming the website is correct (the SD 2 is listed as "in stock" so it should only be a 2-3 week lead time), are there any unexpected delays being experienced in shipping of SoliDoodle 2's?

Both 2's and 3's are seemingly shipping in 2-4 weeks... but as always when dealing with the vendor - YMMV.

mrsamnc wrote:

***How would you rate SD Support now? Sounds like it was terrible back in October '12, but what about now?

Not much different at all frankly. The delays have reduced - you no longer wait 8 weeks and spend 20 emails chasing a part before it ships... it only takes 3 weeks now.... As for their commentary - you only have too look at the selective responses and otherwise silence in their own threads, like the 'new' motherbord announcement - where they failed to announce it was just a rebadged Printrboard, and have still failed to announce the Firmware or the Schematic files (both required to be released publicly under their respective licences - SD was real quick to 'sell' them, still real slow to adhere to the GPL or CC ShareAlike licences on the components they've taken and started referring to as 'theirs'.... And they still try and charge you postage that costs twice as much as the 'replacement' part you are trying to order... 

Email still goes silent often.,. but that part IS better than before... but still no ticketing, tracking or otherwise sane logic service orientated workflow tools one would expect to see in even the most basic ma-n-pa-backyard-ISP (remember those? wink )

mrsamnc wrote:

I ask all of these questions to not only help others, but to help myself decide whether or not to invest in this company/product with a purchase. smile

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Its a good product, once you calibrate and tweak it, and as long as you don't really have a reliance on support or OEM Spare Parts (all are available from the actual manufacturers for less cost). If you feel you can resolve issues yourself, either through research of this forum, go for it! If you are requiring or looking for a reasonable or higher level of hand holding from the vendor - forget it, move along, nothing to see here smile

mrsamnc wrote:

SD has redesigned the printbed, it is now made from aluminum instead of wood which could break during shipping... a big +
Also they just changed to a different main board which is supposed to be better from the overheating issues and a couple other things. They also use a cartridge heater block in the hotend unlike the early nichrome wound hotends.

They are still using the acrylic jigsaw, a neat design but like you see has cracking problems... you can print a better replacement for it as there are several to choose from. SD has talked about changing it but haven't seen a change yet

While some have got SD2's in very short times even less than 2 weeks the lead time still goes up and down I would figure on 4-6 weeks to be safe and if it comes quicker all the better smile

I have only dealt with them minimally and was ok.

Thanks in advance,
Sam