Topic: Jigsaw hot-head holder replacement

I am testing the replacement for that awful jigsaw hot-head holder. Attached is the image of how my new holder looks like.

I am making this as direct replacement for jigsaw and without any additional parts needed. Basically you reuse parts from jigsaw and there is even some leftover ;-)

I will test this on longer 4-5 hour prints over next couple of days and if needed refine design which I have refined already number of times. Once that is complete everything goes on Thingiverse...

Post's attachments

2012_10_25_16_ 8.jpg
2012_10_25_16_ 8.jpg 119.47 kb, 7 downloads since 2012-10-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Jigsaw hot-head holder replacement

Looks great Tek.

If it works you should post some files up.

Id love to make one from aluminium.

Can you post it now?  I've been wanting to do the Minimalistic  Mk7 for Solidoodle, but haven't gotten around to designing the hot end mount, since my printer has been out of commision until now.  I would love to print this and start using it.  What are you using to design it, can you post the source as well?

Maybe it can incorporate some kind of standard slot mount for fan duct and dial gauge attachments.  Also something that would help is extending the filament channel up toward the gear a little bit.  That would make it easier to guide a curved filament end to the barrel without sticking your finger in there, and also help new filament push out the old during changes.

Also, are you using the same spring as came on the original extruder and how is yours attached and positioned?

Ian and all, I just posted everything on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33152

I designed mount in Sketchup and filament feed is OpenSCAD but modified from original.

Yes this is original spring re-used. You don't need any new material for this...

Good stuff man...  I agree with Ian, I would like to make it easier to guide into position... I realized to effectively change colors mid print, with a top loading extruder, you almost have to take the door off...

great thing... i want this head since they made it for makerbot. thanks

Great work! Looking forward to testing this.

If you do this mod guys make sure to screw down the Z-axis screw in the back since this mod might slightly lower the hot head so when you try it, it might crash. So just note that you need to do Z-axis zeroing in and to be on safe side screw down that screw!

Great idea.

tek wrote:

I am testing the replacement for that awful jigsaw hot-head holder. Attached is the image of how my new holder looks like.

I am making this as direct replacement for jigsaw and without any additional parts needed. Basically you reuse parts from jigsaw and there is even some leftover ;-)

I will test this on longer 4-5 hour prints over next couple of days and if needed refine design which I have refined already number of times. Once that is complete everything goes on Thingiverse...

Great work!

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Hey Tek... Just wondering how the testing has been going?

Its going excellent. I printed big part for 4 and half hours yesterday with 0 problems. I have changed design a bit. I do not use spring anymore rather screw is used to provide tension. I will update Thingiverse files tomorrow with updated design.

I also want to change a bit how filament gets guided into the bottom hot-head carrier, maybe add something like half funnel. This is not required but nice to have.

Why did you switch from the spring?  Usually the spring is considered better because it can ride along changes in filament diameter.

IanJohnson wrote:

Why did you switch from the spring?  Usually the spring is considered better because it can ride along changes in filament diameter.

Spring would definitely work but I would need different, longer spring that can provide proper tension so you don't have to make upper lever at very tight angle, which you have to do to use short stock spring and have enough pressure on filament so it can feed properly.

I was so excited by this design that i immediatly tried it out.

And it doesnt work at all.

The parts fit together quit nicely.
But the filliament wont even fit through it before the spring is inserted.

And the bearing  wont fit in without removing a part of the printed piece.

my prints didn't fit quite right either... it probably has to do with printer calibrations... i am using it as a spring board to make my own now... i am including a standard mount per ian's suggestion and make it a little easier to load filament from an angle and have filament slot run much closer to gear

I have been playing with openscad a fair bit.
there is a stepper motor library installed with the standard package .. might be useful..

Stoney wrote:

I have been playing with openscad a fair bit.
there is a stepper motor library installed with the standard package .. might be useful..

I didn't notice this! what a find.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

It does fit now and it works quiet well.
But there is room for improvements.
As soon as i have some time i will look into it too.

I still realy like this clean design.
Especially since the original design has some problems like cracks around the screws on the bottom side

Glad you got it to work. Looking forward to your improvements.

22 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-11-08 05:13:39)

Wire EDM'ed, stainless steel version coming soon..........

Will have pics when I get it done.

Diecrusher wrote:

Wire EDM'ed, stainless steel version coming soon..........

Will have pics when I get it done.

Ahh, the benefit of working in a toolroom.  We call those "G" jobs for government jobs when you're working on something personal.  I can't count how many things I've had made over the years.

24 (edited by lawsy 2012-11-17 23:48:57)

I have printed and fitted this. I went straight for the second version. I had trouble with the length of the original bolts being either too long or short, but using the original washers as shown did the trick.

First test print had  failure when the filament just below the mstepper went soft and buckled sideways. I guess I had the temp too high with my new hot end.

The main issue for me is that the top of the new part looks like it will hit the inside of the case. I will probably make a minor derivative to fix this on the weekend.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1595/01originaldesign.jpg

Ok, spent Saturday designing and printing iterations of this until it was performing perfectly.

As I said, the main issue for me was the lack of filament guidance after the bearing. Basically it was buckling and jamming.

This new design fixes this, and also has a new upper end that uses some of the original parts to retain the excellent spring regulation. Easily enough rom to get a toothbrush in there during printing to get rid of filament dust. The whole thing is super easy to disassemble, especially since it comes apart in two halves.

I will post up a guide and STL in the next couple of days.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8468/07assemblycomplete.jpg