Topic: Metal version of Thingiverse "Threadless Ballscrew"

I own a small machine shop and I was thinking of making
a limited run of 10 out of 6061.

Anyone interested for 40 dollars a piece?

That would be without the hardware

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

Re: Metal version of Thingiverse "Threadless Ballscrew"

I am making a few myself. Are you using a plastic one now?

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Not at the moment I printed it out and
just thought about machining it while I have everything torn apart.

Do you own a cnc mill and cnc lathe?

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

These are already sold

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1813/rep … crew-idea/

cmetzel wrote:

These are already sold

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1813/rep … crew-idea/

Do you know how much they sell them for?
Definitely not 40 dollars a piece plus it doesn't mount directly to your solidoodle.

This is my VMC it's a Matsuura MC-500V2
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Techbuilder/20130317_204412.jpg

This is my CNC lathe it's a YAM ck2
I just recently painted it red however I don't have the updated pics on me

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Techbuilder/20120418_103723.jpg

Just curious, are you considering a metal version because you have tighter tolerances on your machine? Perhaps it would be equally suitable to be machine a plastic on that machine for this tool.

My vertical cnc mill can hold .0002 of an inch if done correctly and my cnc lathe can hold .0003 inch.

However holding that tolerance in plastic can be a pain depending on the part and depending on
the plastic thermally it will expand much more then aluminum. I plan on making an all metal solidoodle 3 replacing the parts while I play with it so I can hold a 50 micron layer height minimum with my solidoodle.

If I get an order of 10 I will send 2n2r5 the all metal version for free

Me I'm interested to have the "all the S3 part in metal" too. but right now I'm broke...
I just bought  the S3 like a month ago so...

Need time to repop some €...

Thanks for the answer, I was curious on that one smile.

Interesting. I had to vote that Im interested in a cheaper solution, but I appreciate that you're proposing this. Perhaps you'll get the preorders to make it worth your while.

Thanks for the response Tomek smile

Have any for sale still? I'd be interested in a set! smile

I'm going to be working on them this week
so I'll pm you when I have them done.

I'm really interested. Would it be pretty much a turn key solution? I'd hate to get something and then find I needed to source other bits and bobs to get it installed.

What sort of price are you looking at for replacing all parts with aluminium?

I would love to include all the bearings and screws needed however unless I had a large order it wouldn't be very cost effective and would cost me more out of my pocket as well as yours.

I will end up making the all metal replacement parts in the next month but it will be a very limited quantity of 10 if I don't receive more orders when I put it up.

If I receive less then 10 order probably around 150 if I receive more then most likely 130 but it could
be cheaper once I run the numbers.

The threadless ball screw part will be 40 dollars plus shipping

I guess as long as there is a complete list of 'extras' provided in advance so all the bits can be bought.

I don't think I'm in a position to buy anything just yet, Christmas is approaching and my GF might actually want a gift that isnt printed smile

Id be interested in a all metal set of parts if your doing them.  I have a SD2 but im sure I could get a bare frame and change the rods for longer ones to make it larger.  Are the metal replacements going to use the linear recirc bearings instead of the bushings?

Gomisan wrote:

I guess as long as there is a complete list of 'extras' provided in advance so all the bits can be bought.

I don't think I'm in a position to buy anything just yet, Christmas is approaching and my GF might actually want a gift that isnt printed smile

I could put together another one of these which is what I did for the printed version. It should take you to a wishlist that I put together for Amazon and McMaster so all you have to do is add to cart and purchase. I have had a few people use this already.
http://www.mcmaster.com/order/rcvRtedOr … lnktyp=lnk
http://amzn.com/w/2IPMDMP8UQQ3W

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

19 (edited by techbuilder2175 2013-10-21 18:51:04)

Thank you 2n2r5

Saved me the trouble of creating the list

no problem. smile

SD3 w/ mods:

Techbuilder,
Have you reached your 10 piece goal?  I may be interested as I'm looking at building a larger version of the SD using aluminum extrusions for  the frame and lawsy's printed parts to elongate the x-y.  The bed may be an issue, but I'll deal with that when I have to.  Having the z-screw would also give me a spare if something happened to the current SD2.

Not quite yet

would you like one as well?

At your price, how could I say no?

Take that as a yes.

Techbuilder im interested in one.

Ok no problem

So far I have confirmed

2n2r5
diyengineer
cckens
innovate
and my self

So 5 down have 5 more available
once there gone I won't be making anymore unless there is another order of 10.

Let me know if your interested