Re: Let's talk about Slic3r support material

OK...so Alex on the Github posts say it's fixed...how does a coding luddite like myself apply the fix?  I could not even locate the "fixed" file...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

IronMan wrote:

OK...so Alex on the Github posts say it's fixed...how does a coding luddite like myself apply the fix?  I could not even locate the "fixed" file...

Like myself, you wait until Alex releases 0.9.11, which by the looks of it is way off, or beg for a compiled version by someone around here that knows how to do that .  Both 2n2r5 and Adrian hinted that they might be able to do that in a different post I have on this subject...

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4149/slic3r-v0911/

..but for now we wait.

It was suggested that I downgrade to a previous version, and I did, down to 0.9.9, but it doesn't work there either.

When Alex closed the open issue on Github, he suggested the fix was around the corner.  That was a month ago.  At that time the Milestone showed 75% completed.  AS of now that number stands at 76%.  At this rate, we're looking at about 2 years for the release... sad

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Thanks Pirvan...guess we wait for Alex; but if a developer fixes something which is fairly critical, why not just repost it in a 9.10c or something?  I don't get it...of course, I'm not a programmer!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Add me to the list of frustrated Slic3r Support users. I just can't seem to get it right. I have read, in issue one of the reprap magazine, that Slic3r does indeed stink at generating support and needs improvement. The author of the article went on to compare Cura when using support and reported that Cura handles support generation much better. The thought of learning another slicer and getting good with it does not excite me, though.

As far as manual support generation through CAD goes, that's an interesting idea as I use SW at work and am very proficient with it. I have used it already multiple times to rework STL files so that they are easier to print.

You can't inport those formats into Solidworks and edit them.

You can open STL files in SW and change the import settings such that SW generates "dumb" geometry when importing it. You can then use them noramlly and modify to your heart's content.

Support in Slic3r has been fixed in version 1.0.  RC2 has been recently released and is available here:http://slic3r.org/download.

They completely rewrote the support generation part of it and sped it up immensely.  It is a huge improvement over the 0.9.X versions with broken support generation.