Topic: Household 3D printers can pay for themselves in a year

http://gizmodo.com/household-3d-printer … -986593950

If you've been pondering over whether a 3D printer is a sound financial decision, here might be your answer: researchers have calculated that they can pay for themselves inside a single year.

The study, conducted at Michigan Technological University, considered 20 common household items—smartphone cases, a garlic press, a shower head, the list goes on—listed on Thingiverse, then used Google Shopping to work out the maximum and minimum cost of buying them online (not including shipping). Then, the researchers also calculated how much it would cost to make each using a household 3D printer.

The results are pretty amazing: it would cost between $312 to $1,944 to buy the items, but just $18 to make using the 3D printer. Clearly, the printers are expensive, but those figures suggest that they can pay for themselves in a time frame of months to years. The research is published in Mechatronics. Joshua Pearce, who led the research, explains:

“With the exponential growth of free designs and expansion of 3D printing, we are creating enormous potential wealth for everyone... [Y]ou don’t need to be an engineer or a professional technician to set up a 3D printer. Some can be set up in under half an hour, and even the RepRap can be built in a weekend by a reasonably handy do-it-yourselfer.”
Of course, there's a time investment involved in downloading designs, tweaking them, and experimenting with manufacturing—but that could be seen as part of the charm, too. If you weren't excited about 3D printing by now, this news might be just enough to tip you over the edge. [Mechatronics via MTU via Slashdot]

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Re: Household 3D printers can pay for themselves in a year

When you also factor in the entertainment value and the value of technical knowledge that comes along with it, it really becomes a no-brainer.

I sitll can't believe $18 worth of filament can create $312, I mustve been printing out wrong items.  :-(

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

Mine has paid for itself already and I havnt had it for a year. 2lbs of filament was making me about $800 smile

If you happen to have a micro-brewer or brew pub near by find out if they have some kind of mascot or figure they use in advertising. Make earrings for the girls that work there, key fobs, Christmas decorations or just 3d models of their mascot. Free beer!!! I just delivered 5 pair of earrings and 15 key fobs, result, $25 food card and all of the beer I can drink. WIN, Win.

6 (edited by Ecarots 2013-08-13 17:07:41)

Mine is used to make prototypes and pieces for games I manufacture along with special order parts and novelties. not to the high $ stage yet but it is growing. Not to mention a replacement thumb saftey for my Mossberg 20ga.

Escarots, I'm pondering a custom tac stock for my little Ithaca 20. Hell, if a guy can print a full size car, why not?

Should be lighter too, built on shell carrier for an extra 6-8 shells, built in light and green laser (I know, why a laser on a shotgun, well since this is for home defense, at close quarters your pattern is tight, so you really do need to aim and since most mayhem happens in the dark... a light and laser).

I was thinking about a cup holder too, but nah.

smile

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

cup holder.... naaahhhh.... but maybe a built in mini hydrater so you put a couple of ounces of just about any liquid in there smile

Heartlander wrote:

Escarots, I'm pondering a custom tac stock for my little Ithaca 20. Hell, if a guy can print a full size car, why not?

Should be lighter too, built on shell carrier for an extra 6-8 shells, built in light and green laser (I know, why a laser on a shotgun, well since this is for home defense, at close quarters your pattern is tight, so you really do need to aim and since most mayhem happens in the dark... a light and laser).

I was thinking about a cup holder too, but nah.

smile

If you want an intruder alive blind them with the laser then hit them with the barrel, otherwise .........

But really the laser is cool for aiming when the coyotes come into the back yard.

That's funny, my most recent design and print was in fact a cup holder.

Im getting a 3d printer because I'm also into personal robotics. It will pay for itself in a few months just in servo brackets alone smile

Mines almost paid for itself already in only a few months.
Though that includes my work on models for home printing that I've sold through shapeways.
Maximise that potential etc etc...

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Mine paid for itself in cabinet handles and pulls. These are some early ones that I made as a quick fix.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:80428

I am now in the middle of a major renovation and have custom handles being made from some other designs that I have made. I am able to print out and test fit the new custom add-ons. I even went so far as getting metallic paints and tried different "materials" before choosing what I liked best.

Along with some other 'round-the-house items, the printer has been great even though I don't use it for work purposes. I have a couple side projects/inventions that I have been working on that the printer has been invaluable for.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

That's what I'm talking about. I have 4 people already willing to pay me a few bucks to demo print some stuff for them and I don't even have the printer yet. This is going to be my first hobby that actually pays for it's self. I'm happy to see that people appreciate the real value of being part of the 3d printed community. smile

DePartedPrinter wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/household-3d-printer … -986593950

If you've been pondering over whether a 3D printer is a sound financial decision, here might be your answer: researchers have calculated that they can pay for themselves inside a single year.

The study, conducted at Michigan Technological University, considered 20 common household items—smartphone cases, a garlic press, a shower head, the list goes on—listed on Thingiverse, then used Google Shopping to work out the maximum and minimum cost of buying them online (not including shipping). Then, the researchers also calculated how much it would cost to make each using a household 3D printer.

The results are pretty amazing: it would cost between $312 to $1,944 to buy the items, but just $18 to make using the 3D printer. Clearly, the printers are expensive, but those figures suggest that they can pay for themselves in a time frame of months to years. The research is published in Mechatronics. Joshua Pearce, who led the research, explains:

“With the exponential growth of free designs and expansion of 3D printing, we are creating enormous potential wealth for everyone... [Y]ou don’t need to be an engineer or a professional technician to set up a 3D printer. Some can be set up in under half an hour, and even the RepRap can be built in a weekend by a reasonably handy do-it-yourselfer.”
Of course, there's a time investment involved in downloading designs, tweaking them, and experimenting with manufacturing—but that could be seen as part of the charm, too. If you weren't excited about 3D printing by now, this news might be just enough to tip you over the edge. [Mechatronics via MTU via Slashdot]

Good to see people are getting good value out of the printers.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Mines basically an expensive toy but i really enjoy it!   i spend all day tinkering with it. i really want to learn more CAD stuff to get more out if it, but thingiverse has so much stuff it keeps me pretty busy cool

Mine's more then 4x paid for itself in the less then a year that I've had it.  Best purchase ever.

@ITMan496- Would you mind sharing some examples? I'm still waiting for my SD2 to be shipped but I'm very interested in how people are using their 3d printers to save themselves money. smile

Mine paid for themselves by giving so much fun, I not spending as money on a dozen hobbies like I used to. Designed over hundred items just for the fun of it.
Did not really earn me money, but was more of a cost avoidance.
Some designers save money, by printing intermediate prototypes on an inexpensive Solidoodle without having to pay someplace like Shapeways to print the prototypes and waiting a couple of weeks.
One item I printing was a "goniometer " to measure joint movement when my daughter broke her leg. Someone said this would have cost $500 at a medical supply store. Designed it in Google (now Trimble) Sketchup (free) and printed it.

Solidoodle 1 thru 4

@cervantja- Now that, is a great story.  $500 saved is $500 earned my friend. wink I trust your daughter is well now?

Mine has paid for itself by being used to fix and create various things.  I've printed the parts necessary for several commissions to build UAV aircraft that I would not have been able to build without the parts, and it also printed the parts to fix a laser cutter.

In the 80's my dad got a commodore computer and made me learn to type on it. I didn't realize at the time how far ahead of the curve he was or how much of a leg up that exposure would be worth down the road. Now I've got a 14 and 11 year old. Seeing their interest in my printer and that they are getting their heads wrapped around the possibilities has been worth every penny by itself. The enjoyment I get out of it is just a bonus.

auslander68 wrote:

In the 80's my dad got a commodore computer and made me learn to type on it. I didn't realize at the time how far ahead of the curve he was or how much of a leg up that exposure would be worth down the road. Now I've got a 14 and 11 year old. Seeing their interest in my printer and that they are getting their heads wrapped around the possibilities has been worth every penny by itself. The enjoyment I get out of it is just a bonus.

That's our future as a race! Right there!
Man.. I wish more parents thought like that...

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Antron 007. yes my daughter is fine and playing soccer again.

Solidoodle 1 thru 4

I've saved money and made about half the cost back so far best investment ive made