Topic: New T-Glass filiament

Check it out:
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130805- … erial.html

http://www.taulman3d.com/news.html

Pretty cool looking prints. May have to get some to play with. It should work with SD's right?

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Re: New T-Glass filiament

Wow, they did a good job keeping this under wraps. I'm confident it would work on a SD, but I wouldn't want to be the first guinea pig. It looks very pretty, I'll probably try it out. What I'd really love to see is some failures. Is it brittle like PLA, will you not be able to print thin vertical cylinders with it? Will it create a birds nest in failure? And then some post-processing questions, like does it polyester-dye as easy as PLA, ABS, and nylon? Are there any acetone equivalents?

Taulman has yet to let down the community, so I'm sure it's a solid product. I just wish there was more info.

ordered

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Guinea pig No 2 reporting for duty. Ordered.

The website says it is a polymer, so I assume it won't be incredibly brittle & it claims to be high strength as well.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

This could be the stuff that makes a 3D g u n possible, depending on the caliber or pressure.

Maybe a .410? .22? Plastic bull ets? Compressed air instead of g u n powder?

Somebody (probably many somebodies) are watching the 3D industry and waiting for something like this, to do just that. An advanced material capable of withstanding the forces involved, pass thru metal/chem detectors, bo mb sniffing dogs, lightweight, cheap to make (real) and disposable. Don't even reload it, fire four of five rounds (printed right into the wea pon), discard it, print another loaded wea pon.

Largish pointed plastic bull ets could do the job of a small lead round, maybe three or four inches of soft tissue penetration, no danger of penetrating walls or going too far. Perhaps perfect for Air Marshalls, host age rescue teams, etc.

Its a strange new world coming upon us, folks. Small things will become pivotal.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

looks interesting

8 (edited by iowajames 2013-08-12 16:53:48)

Material is one thing, but the bigger issue is layer bonding, layer height/resolution.

Edit: You could print a barrel in titanium reinforced gossamer (if it was possible) & it wouldn't take 100 psi if the layers weren't properly bonding.

T-Glass is cool & I expect great things, but as I have said before, you can make a more effective home made weapon with a hammer, bullet, proper sized pipe & a steady hand.

3D printing has a long way to go before any effective weapons come out of it.

Slingshots are much more dangerous currently.

See? https://www.google.com/search?q=sling+x … p;ie=UTF-8

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

# 3 reporting for duty. E3D shipped today. Might as well order some 645 while im at it!

iowajames wrote:

you can make a more effective home made weapon with a hammer, bullet, proper sized pipe & a steady hand.

..and a really patient target

cmetzel wrote:
iowajames wrote:

you can make a more effective home made weapon with a hammer, bullet, proper sized pipe & a steady hand.

Another reason to use a 12ga. shell for improvised weaps... wink

ronsii wrote:
cmetzel wrote:
iowajames wrote:

Another reason to use a 12ga. shell for improvised weaps... wink

Yeah, they can be used to make all kinds of things. Dangerous thing, the shot shell.

I made a mini Claymore with some heavy DOM tube. Fitted a 12 GA. shell (blank, of course) and a mono filament trip wire. Scared the livin $#!t outta my neighbor coming over through the woods to chat. Hasn't come back since, come to think of it.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Heartlander wrote:

I made a mini Claymore with some heavy DOM tube. Fitted a 12 GA. shell (blank, of course) and a mono filament trip wire. Scared the livin $#!t outta my neighbor coming over through the woods to chat. Hasn't come back since, come to think of it.

Did you make sure he's not still laying there????    wink

Ha ha.