Topic: Australian Filastruder Users

Are there any Australian Filastuder users on here? I'm looking to buy various Pellets & Masterbatches in bulk to resell in smaller batches to help out Australian's so was looking to see what materials people would be after. Atm I am looking into ABS, PLA, PC, PC/ABS Blend, PVA, Nylon, HIPS & HDPE. What do people think? Any other materials they would like to be able to get hold of in small quantities?

Thanks all

Re: Australian Filastruder Users

I received my unit today in Perth.
Locally I have a contact for both masterbatch and pellets but have yet to try any of them.

Ill keep you informed of what I find out.

Well I've currently got a sample (25kg's) of ABS here to test at some stage. It has a MFI about halfway between PA-747 and MG94 so it should work well. One of the advantages of this product is that it's available locally so it does not need to be imported from overseas like most resins in Australia and the price is not too bad considering the high quality level.

The part I am having problems with at the moment is finding an Australian supplier of Masterbatch that will reply to emails etc. It is easy enough to find places that will offer the products but another thing to try and buy anything through them.

Should be able to get you plenty of masterbatch through OSP, since it is so cheap to ship.

OSP is an option if it can not be located locally but shipping still becomes expensive to Australia when you are buying/shipping multiple kilograms.

hjubm2 wrote:

OSP is an option if it can not be located locally but shipping still becomes expensive to Australia when you are buying/shipping multiple kilograms.

You can get 2kg shipped to Australia for $24. That's enough for about 60kg of filament. I dunno about you, but that would last me quite a while!

elmoret wrote:
hjubm2 wrote:

You can get 2kg shipped to Australia for $24. That's enough for about 60kg of filament. I dunno about you, but that would last me quite a while!

Ideally I would be looking at buying at least 5 times that amount. I'm purchasing over 300kg of ABS pellets alone for my own needs and for resale in Australia to help out the people who require smaller lots so 2kg would not go far.

hjubm2 wrote:

over 300kg of ABS pellets

I mean, that's almost a year straight of running a Filastruder...? Am I missing something?

My point about the masterbatch was that 2kg will cost around $90, so $22 in shipping isn't too bad to get it to you.

Anyway, with quantities like that you should have no problem dealing with the big boys directly.

elmoret wrote:
hjubm2 wrote:

over 300kg of ABS pellets

I mean, that's almost a year straight of running a Filastruder...? Am I missing something?

My point about the masterbatch was that 2kg will cost around $90, so $22 in shipping isn't too bad to get it to you.

Anyway, with quantities like that you should have no problem dealing with the big boys directly.

300kg is the minimum order for most places so I plan to purchase all the accompanying supplies for that quantity for each Resin I can get my hands on. I am also in the process of aquiring an industrial extruder to help to try and lower to costs of some of the more exotic filaments. Like PC for example, AUD$80 per kg seems way too high considering I can get the Resin for under $7. It's basically a two fold plan to try and open up the market a bit more in Australia.

True the shipping cost is not too bad but if the shipping can be removed then it helps with costs and time.

You would think that the quantity would be more then enough but so far I have not had any luck in Australia.

Great to see some Australian activity. Good luck with your efforts, it seems to make a lot of sense to try and source this stuff locally.

I got mine up and running last night #281.  Ran it for a few hours and played with temp change and understanding how it affects the quality.

I also tried some locally sourced master batch.  The result was good.  Adding a single pellet of master batch to a full hopper of pellets was enough to produce a sky blue filament (dark blue master batch).

I have about 10 colors of master batch to try.  My goal in the next week or so is to produce and print with some colored ABS and achieve reliable colored prints (no more everything is black for me!).

CaptCrash wrote:

I also tried some locally sourced master batch.

Where did you acquire the Masterbatch from if you don't mind me asking? I'm still not having any luck locating anywhere in Australia

hjubm2 wrote:
CaptCrash wrote:

I also tried some locally sourced master batch.

Where did you acquire the Masterbatch from if you don't mind me asking? I'm still not having any luck locating anywhere in Australia

I sent you a pm with some details and questions.

14 (edited by CaptCrash 2013-08-14 15:52:26)

For everyone else, is there interest in the following

The masterbatch I have is a sample from a local supplier, its a Universal Masterbatch so will work with ABS and PLA (I didn't ask about other plastic types).

At this stage I have good results with Deep Blue and Red with ABS but have not tried the other colours as yet.

The supplier doesn't want people contacting him for small quantities as he supplies generally by the pallet (for base plastic) and 15Kg per colour of masterbatch (used at 2% so enough for 750kg of pellets).  I am looking at purchasing 15kg bags per colour and then selling it in small volumes, probably via ebay or a web shop if there is enough interest (eg in 100g, 500g or 1kg packages).

In terms of pricing I expect that I will be able to supply at a similar rate as osprinting but with local supply depending on the colour (reds are more expensive, black/white is much lower in cost, the other colours are the same or slightly lower).

Shipping should also be lower as in most cases, it can be sent via an Australia Post pre-paid 500g or 3Kg envelope.

If there is interest, Im happy to pursue this and provide a local source of both universal masterbatch plus ABS and PLA pellets.  Other pellets are also available but I have not made specific enquiries about them as yet.

If you are interested in this, please let me know so I can gauge the level of local interest.

regards
Darren

CaptCrash wrote:

If you are interested in this, please let me know so I can gauge the level of local interest.

regards
Darren

If you decide to go ahead with this, I'm happy to list you as a local distributor of pellets/masterbatch for Australia. I've had about a dozen inquiries on on the issue.

Hi all, another newbie.
Just picking up my Filastruder from the Post Office. I am located in Ipswich, Queensland and as yet haven't found a ABS supplier.
If anyone can help with a suppliers email address I will be a happy little chappie. Looking to buy 10 to25kg to start with, maybe more,depending on price per Kg and postal charges
Cheers

justme632000 wrote:

Hi all, another newbie.
Just picking up my Filastruder from the Post Office. I am located in Ipswich, Queensland and as yet haven't found a ABS supplier.
If anyone can help with a suppliers email address I will be a happy little chappie. Looking to buy 10 to25kg to start with, maybe more,depending on price per Kg and postal charges
Cheers

Talk to CaptCrash - he is looking into becoming a reseller.

I've got 10+ kg available of ABS Pellets available atm. Sure I can work out a good deal for you.

19 (edited by CaptCrash 2013-09-10 17:27:32)

As mentioned by Tim above, I have started an online business www.my3dmedia.com.au, supplying ABS and masterbatch that Filastruder users will be interested in.

The primary focus is to supply ABS and masterbatch in quantities that make sense for the average user.

ABS pellets in two varieties, from 500g to 25Kg bags.
Masterbatch from 50g to 15Kg per colour (currently 10 colours with more being added).

ABS is supplied in zip lock, heat sealed silver foil pouches. This ensures that the pellets are in good condition and are not exposed to moisture.  The packaging is sturdy, it will stand up on its own and is easy to use (similar packaging to coffee bean foil pouches).

More information is available at www.my3dmedia.com.au or to our facebook page www.facebook.com/my3dmedia

Sorry that this post is a bit of an advert, I hope no one is offended.

CaptCrash wrote:

Sorry that this post is a bit of an advert, I hope no one is offended.

CaptCrash has made many helpful contributions to the Filastruder project, and I'm happy he is providing Austrailian users with a source for resin! No need to apologize.

To hjubm2
If you have 10kg of pellets spare email me, [email protected]
Just tell me how much per Kg and postage cost if you would thank you very much.
Ian

justme632000 wrote:

To hjubm2
If you have 10kg of pellets spare email me, [email protected]
Just tell me how much per Kg and postage cost if you would thank you very much.
Ian

I had a look at CaptCrash's web store earlier and his pricing for larger quantities is cheaper then what I can buy it for so you might be better off buying it though him. I'm not sure of the quality of his product but I'm sure he can comment on that part.

In terms of quality of the pellets, I don't really have a lot to compare to.

I have three types that work well
1. Pellets that came from OSPrinting with the filastruder (about 40g/10min @ 220°C/10.0Kg)
2. My High flow pellets (34g/10min @ 220°C/10.0Kg)
3. My Medium flow pellets (20g/10min @ 220°C/10.0Kg)

In looking for Australian sources, I tried four varieties of pellets.  The two I choose to offer for sale performed the best and work well with the masterbatch.

I have not seen much difference between the high flow pellets and the ones supplied with the filastruder.  They seem fairly interchangeable.  Mixing of the masterbatch is good (5-10m from one colour to another without a flush).

The Medium flow pellets are slower to extrude and a little stiffer, depending on what you are printing on, this can be a good or bad thing.  The masterbatch colours them well and it takes a similar time to change colours (8-12m from one colour to another without a flush) .

I have been testing on the following printers and now have a series of test prints (in weird and wonderful colours).
1. Thing-o-Matic with Sailfish, dual head mk7, 1.75mm, 0.4mm nozzle
2. Thing-o-Matic with Sailfish, single head mk7, 1.75mm, 1.5mm large custom nozzle
3. Cupcake with Sailfish, single head mk6 with 5D, 1.75mm, 0.5mm nozzle

CaptCrash wrote:

2. Thing-o-Matic with Sailfish, single head mk7, 1.75mm, 1.5mm large custom nozzle

Nice. I bet that really lays it down quick!

elmoret wrote:
CaptCrash wrote:

Nice. I bet that really lays it down quick!

It does a good job for making things that I want to be water or light proof.