26 (edited by CaptCrash 2013-09-12 19:45:15)

Re: Australian Filastruder Users

It would be good to get peoples feedback on the packaging I have for ABS pellets.

My focus was on being able to supply sturdy packaging that could be shipped easy.
I tried a couple of different approaches and have settled on using foil pouches with a Zip Lock top.  These are heat sealed above a tear mark, so that the package has two separate seals for when its being shipped.

Once the customer receives the package, they can tear the top heat sealed section and still be able to reseal the package with the Zip Lock top.  The foil pouches will also stand up on their own.

Here is what they look like
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/dnancarrow/Filastruder/photo_zpse3b07d60.jpg
There is a mixture of 500g and 1Kg orders with up to 1.75Kg fitting in a foil pouch.

Looks great, wish I was a Filastruder customer  smile Filament is damn pricey.

CaptCrash wrote:

It would be good to get peoples feedback on the packaging I have for ABS pellets.

Looks really good! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and effort.

Hi CaptCrash,

The packaging looks well thought out and robust.

I'm local and have just ordered my Filastruder so I guess I'll catch up with you soon.

Thanks for making extruding more accessible in the west.

Mighty progressive of you mate!

30 (edited by CaptCrash 2013-09-18 01:48:10)

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.  Btw the cost of the packaging is about $0.40 more than a plastic bag with single zip lock and it takes a little more time to heat seal them.  But I think it's worth it.

Does anyone see any negatives, if you do I would like to know as it will help me offer a better product.

It might be good to list the actual ABS grade on there, or maybe a QR code for the datasheet.

elmoret wrote:

It might be good to list the actual ABS grade on there, or maybe a QR code for the datasheet.

thanks, thats a good idea

Probably not a major consideration but could you put a sticker on the outside of the package for each colour?

That way when it's on the shelf at home you can see it straight away rather than having to open it up to see which colour it is.

I know, I know... first world problems but it could be one more factor that helps the brand stand out on the shelves.

(Speaking of Shelves)

Also if you wrap the colour sticker down one side (so it covers the "spine") then when the packets are stored sideways they take up less room.

Random OCD marketing thoughts

34 (edited by CaptCrash 2013-09-18 05:36:14)

-luckyphil- wrote:

Probably not a major consideration but could you put a sticker on the outside of the package for each colour?

That way when it's on the shelf at home you can see it straight away rather than having to open it up to see which colour it is.

I know, I know... first world problems but it could be one more factor that helps the brand stand out on the shelves.

(Speaking of Shelves)

Also if you wrap the colour sticker down one side (so it covers the "spine") then when the packets are stored sideways they take up less room.

Random OCD marketing thoughts

Thanks for the thoughts.  At the moment the pellets are all natural so I didn't think of putting a colour listing.  But its a good idea, I have a possible supplier who can supply black, white and natural pellets, so that would be good.

The idea of moving the label is a bit harder as the packaging is a pouch, so the "spine" is about 0.5mm thick.  Its the inside base of the package that gets thicker, but not the sides/edges.
I get what you mean, I'll see if I can figure out a way of putting details on the labels in a way where you can read them from front on and side on.

35 (edited by bteeter 2013-09-18 19:09:16)

CaptCrash - you might also consider putting a descant into each package as you pack them up to keep the pellets dry until all used.  Just a thought.

Bob

bteeter wrote:

CaptCrash - you might also consider putting a descant into each package as you pack them up to keep the pellets dry until all used.  Just a thought.

Bob

Thanks for the suggestion.  Im waiting on them to arrive, once they do, all 1Kg and larger packs will include a descant.

Also as a thanks to everyone who have been liking the My 3D Media Facebook page, there is currently a discount on offer of up to $25.00 off of freight, so most people will get free freight within Australia and discounted freight in New Zealand.  For more information see www.facebook.com/my3dmedia.

I'd like to see some glow-in-the-dark masterbatch and some PLA pellets.

38 (edited by CaptCrash 2013-10-20 06:26:16)

Hi, we have a great offer for anyone looking for a Filastruder between now and the end of the year with our Australian Maker Space Filastruder Bundle

My 3D Media and Filastruder have teamed up to create a fantastic offer for the Maker Spaces of Australia.
By combining the most popular home filament extruder with locally supplied ABS pellets and universal masterbatch, we are able to offer a low cost flexible filament production process that can be used within your Maker Space.

If you would like any information please see the flyer http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0257/4 … .2.pdf?937
or for a list of bundles see http://www.my3dmedia.com.au/collections … er-bundles

39 (edited by -luckyphil- 2013-10-29 02:25:12)

Hi just letting everyone know,

That another one of us is about to extrude down under.

Phil

Apparently Filastruder (#1355) shipped yesterday. So in 2 weeks or so I will be extruding too. I already received my My3DMedia order the other week.

https://owncloud.ddevnet.net/public.php?service=files&t=e2cea7b986c6976aec5de177ac58e03f&download

41 (edited by CaptCrash 2013-11-05 12:29:55)

Would anyone be interested in "metallic" looking colours to be used in place of masterbatch.  At this point I only have samples, but I am really excited about the colour choices.

The sorts of colours Im talking about are gold, silver, ruby etc all with pearl and/or multicolour blue/purple etc.  If you think about the colours that cars come in, then you are on the right track.

Here is what the first sample colour looks like.
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/dnancarrow/photo-1_zps91b56d88.jpg

I am in the process of finalising some additional polymer options and would like to get an idea of peoples interest.

The new polymers will be Natureworks PLA and SABIC Cycolac® MG94 ABS.  Pricing is still being finalised, but my intent is to provide them in Australia at a price that is comparable to importing them.  Both are likely to be higher priced than the two ABS options that we currently stock.

If you are interested please let me know by posting a comment on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/my3dmedia and let me know the type (ABS or PLA) and an idea of the number of Kg you would be interested in.

Im not looking for commitments from people, just an idea of demand so I can stock accordingly.

thanks

Darren

Hi guys, is there much demand for ABS pellets in Australia?

I have Taitalac® 1003 which I extrude on my rev 1.5 filastruder at about 13 inches per min @ 170c.  Not sure if this is great or not as I am very new to 3d printing and making my own filament.

Cant post the link/data sheet sorry, but it should be searchable.

If someone has access to better stuff or well priced masterbatches, please let me know as I would be interested in buying.

Taitalac® 1003 flows about 85% as well as MG94, so it is a good choice.

I don't know if anyone else sells masterbatch in Australia, but you could get a pretty nice supply cheap from OSP, and sell some locally. It is very cheap to ship because you need so little of it - a lifetime supply would probably cost around $40 in shipping.

We are having a few promotions at www.my3dmedia.com.au until the end of april.

They are as follows

Free Shipping

All orders including a 10Kg or larger pack of pellets (PLA or ABS) will receive free standard shipping within Australia.
Use the "Free_Ship_4_2016" at check to save on your shipping costs.

Bulk Orders

For those people using larger quantities of ABS or PLA pellets, all orders of 25Kg pellets will include 300g of masterbatch (six 50g bags) at no additional charge.

Please list your colour preferences in the notes field when placing your order so we can include the masterbatch you prefer.

Free Filastruder Laser Cut case

We are overstocked with the Laser Cut Cases for the V1.x Filastruders.  If you would like a Laser Cut case, simply place an order while stocks last for the case and what ever else you would like, use the discount code "free_case" and it will be shipped with your order.

Please note: Im giving these away so please don't just order the free case or something very low valued :-).

Hi Australian Filastruders, I just wanted to claim my presence as a NSW Filastruder user and lover smile)))

CaptCrash wrote:

2. Thing-o-Matic with Sailfish, single head mk7, 1.75mm, 1.5mm large custom nozzle

yikes

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Its that time again at http://www.my3dmedia.com.au where end of financial year savings abound.

We have a couple of promotions running at the moment

By using the discount code EOFY_2017 you will receive free Australia wide shipping on all orders over $200ex GST between now and the end of July.

For users of our value line ABS pellets we have promotion of buy two get one free. For each 2Kg or more of Natural ABS Pellets - Value Line (CM) pellets ordered, you will automatically receive an additional 1Kg for free. eg. Order 10Kg receive 15Kg. There is no need to enter a discount code, the additional pellets will be include automatically with your order at the time of shipment.

Finally we have a free masterbatch colourant offer, with 25Kg of any type of pellets (ABS, PLA etc) you will receive a pack of 8 masterbatch colours at no additional cost.

All of these promotions can be used together, for example if you purchase 25Kg of Value line ABS, you will get free shipping, an additional 12.5Kg of ABS and 8 masterbatch colours.

Happy making

For the month of October we are offering free shipping on all orders over $100. Use the discount code "Mid_Oct_2017" to receive free standard shipping Australia Wide.

For orders placed this weekend (before Monday 9th of October), receive a free 50gm masterbatch colour for every 1Kg of ABS or PLA pellets ordered.eg. If you order 10Kg of ABS, you will receive 10 x 50g packs of masterbatch.

When you place your order, you can choose the colours you want by adding a message to your order or by emailing [email protected] with your order number and colour choices. Otherwise we will provide a selection of our most popular colours.

http://soliforum.com/i/?WaII4ID.jpg
Happy October making

you should see if you can get powdered pigment instead of masterbatch. It works a lot better

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm