Topic: Wiring bundle interfering with belt and being torn by case

Have other people experienced this and are any of you thinking up any good solutions?  I'm stumped without rewiring the whole deal.

Re: Wiring bundle interfering with belt and being torn by case

jooshs wrote:

Have other people experienced this and are any of you thinking up any good solutions?  I'm stumped without rewiring the whole deal.

Show us a picture of what is happening. We can give you some of our in house tips if you'd like.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Mine interferes with the belt sometimes, and rubs against the case.  I was thinking of printing a cover for that edge of the case that came out far enough to keep it away from the belt.

cmetzel wrote:

Mine interferes with the belt sometimes, and rubs against the case.  I was thinking of printing a cover for that edge of the case that came out far enough to keep it away from the belt.

What do you think would be optimal? We can show engineering, with very specific examples of course.

5 (edited by jooshs 2012-10-19 16:50:11)

Here is the belt interference. When the wiring bundle runs against the sharp corner right above it, it gets caught occasionally and starting to tear out some if the strands. I just got the case and door which should resolve the sharp corner problem, but may add to the belt interference. It doesn't affect the prints dramatically but in parts that are critical to high resolution a missed step or two will affect the rest of the print.

I wonder if the solution could be as simple as putting a little guide around the wiring inside the back if the case to encourage it to bend in the other direction?

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.53 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

This was my thought (not thought all the way through yet) but I'd have to move through the motions when I got home to make sure it doesn't interfere, and redesign so the case still fits on over it, but this should protect the rubbing on the belt.  I haven't had mine catch the case and miss steps.

Post's attachments

guard idea.jpg
guard idea.jpg 77.64 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-19 

I like that thought too. I had a thought along those lines as well. I was thinking you could put a guard on the side of the y axis carriage that ran the length of the printer in the y direction, and have it be spring loaded in the +\- direction so it always covered the entire length of the y belt.

cmetzel wrote:

This was my thought (not thought all the way through yet) but I'd have to move through the motions when I got home to make sure it doesn't interfere, and redesign so the case still fits on over it, but this should protect the rubbing on the belt.  I haven't had mine catch the case and miss steps.

Ah this makes a lot of sense. We'll look into a cost effective way of keeping this from happening.

youtube /watch?v=p91hbWpjNoU

(the forum won't let me post a URL or video link - you'll have to format the URL yourself )

Here's my solidoodle2 working, and the wiring harness hitting the y-axis belt.

And bending the wiring harness out of the way only works for a few prints until it goes back to doing the same thing.

I am seeing the same kind of thing on my printer, whenever the print head is more than 70 mm to the left of the home (right rear) position.  My wiring shows no signs of trauma, but that may be because I have been printing small parts.

I designed a shield to protect the belts, and printed it out.  It only works if you have decided not to use the case, but I have never used my case, so that works for me. It took some fiddling with Slicer parameters to get the thing to print well.  You may be able to create a part which is thinner to do the same thing.

Post's attachments

IMG_1656a.JPG
IMG_1656a.JPG 443.47 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-07 

Solidoodle Y Axis Belt Shield.skp 20.38 kb, 38 downloads since 2012-11-07 

Solidoodle Y Axis Belt Shield.stl 26.65 kb, 75 downloads since 2012-11-07 

jon_bondy wrote:

I designed a shield to protect the belts, and printed it out.  It only works if you have decided not to use the case, but I have never used my case, so that works for me. It took some fiddling with Slicer parameters to get the thing to print well.  You may be able to create a part which is thinner to do the same thing.

Very clever!  Love it... I do like to use my case, but it seems like all that you would need to do is put in a screw or two from the sid and it would hold it in place... Or as with everything else we seem to mod with, you could embed a handful of magnets in the piece... smile

I think my harness just naturally bends the other way, more towards the Z screw.

either that or I'm not nearly as observant and haven't even seen this happening!!

I was impressed at how easy it was to design and then print a shape that would have been extremely difficult to fabricate with other techniques...

Here's is my not so high-tech solution...about $2.00 for a roll of clear vinyl tubing which I slit down the middle.

Post's attachments

IMG_2578.jpg
IMG_2578.jpg 1.64 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-20 

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Got to love that low-tech.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

rdavidian28 wrote:

Here's is my not so high-tech solution...about $2.00 for a roll of clear vinyl tubing which I slit down the middle.

Great idea.

My wire bundle's protective sleeve finally ripped enough that the thermistor wire on the inside shredded. I have been worried about this for a while and did not figure out a solution in time.  The quick fix for now is to attach the iPad wipe (satiny material) until I find a better solution.  The solutions here are good without a case but don't help with a case.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/331/wiri … n-by-case/

I had to do a quick and dirty rewiring for the thermistor to the board with some extra wire I had sitting around to quickly get me through this project I am working on.  I am wondering if anyone knows what the sleeve is or where you can get it.  Also, for a more permanent solution, I need to replace the thermistor wire.  Does this wire see much current or is it ok to replace it with fairly high gauge wire?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8255892334_b0eea9957b_b.jpg

19 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-09 09:05:54)

my wiring harness was not zip tied to the corner and I dont have any wires outside the harness like you show in your photo. This freedom seems to the harness sit with its with its width being perpendicular to the bed which keeps seems to keep the harness above the belts.

Here is a gif of the movement.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=582&download=0

Post's attachments

wireharness.gif 768 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-12-09 

Joosh,
Is this the sleeve material your talking about?
http://www.12vledlights.com/catalog.php … _the_foot_

Let me know and I will send you some.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

My solution to this problem.

http://www.soliforum.com/post/6874/#p6874

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/