Topic: Filament not extruding evenly

I'm so close to being able to start printing, but when I'm printing my calibration items they're full of holes- seemingly evenly patterned- that start around line 3. Obviously, this means subsequent lines don't lay down properly and eventually the print comes off the bed. (Photos attached.)

For the record, I'm running 190/90 for the temps of the extruder and bed, I'm still using the test filament that comes with the printer, but I did notice that the G-code for the item sets the extruder temp to 200. I've been pausing the print before it starts, setting it back to 190, waiting for it to drop and then letting it resume. I have tried letting it run at 200 too though with identical results.

Thoughts?

Post's attachments

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG 337.35 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG 353.3 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Filament not extruding evenly

try tightening up the tension on the extruder, that screw that pushes the bearing closer against the toothed wheel that feeds the filament. looks like you might be getting some stripping of the filament as it goes in. i usually run at 195 on ABS, but since you say it happens at 200c too, its most likely a slipping issue.

also, have you done the extruder steps per MM calibration? normally SDs ship set to WAY overextrude. mine was taking 130mm of filament when i told it to take 100mm out of the box. you could have the odd one that's set to underextrude. or only take 75mm when you ask for 100mm. that could cause skippy layers. check the flowrate calibration after that.

last thing i can think of that might cause that result, is a partial clog. have you been careful to only heat the extruder when your going to move plastic through it and kill the heat the second your done? leaving it at temp for an extended period of time with no plastic movement will "bake" the ABS and cause little burnt crusties to form and enter the plastic stream and eventually clog the tiny nozzle.

I am very lucky to have a Makerspace in the basement of the building where I work. I am additionally lucky that one of the board members that also has a 3D printer works with me. I went to a meet up tonight and got a lot of great insight.

We figured out that the weird texturing is air bubbles. When I printed a larger object the problem lessened, and when I increased the infill it went away. Then, we started troubleshooting the low quality of the prints. It was theorized that some extrusion calibration was needed, and in fact we found out that my extruder uses an extra 35% more filament (of a 100mm extrusion, 135mm were actually taken).

I'm trying to figure out how to update my firmware as evidently I have a different chip on my board than the ones supported by the updater listed on the Solidoodle page. For now I'm going to try scaling down my filament usage via Slic3r and calibrating/tightening belts as needed.

P.S.- Everyone at the meet up was VERY excited to see the Solidoodle, and was thoroughly impressed with the quality, price, design, ease of use, and level of support from the company and community for the product. I felt like the bell of the nerd ball. smile

you don't have to update the firmware directly, you can enter EPROM settings in repetier host. don't remember the menu name exactly as I'm on my tablet at work and don't have rh in front of me. but poke around a bit and you should find it.

my extruder did the same thing as yours when new, ask for 100mm it would take 130ish mm. simple step to change.

Okay, I found out what's up with my firmware and I'll have to wait for Solidoodle to actually release it into the wild to update it. This means no EPROM settings adjustments either.

In the meantime, I adjusted the flow multiplier in Repetier-Host, verified its accuracy and did another test print... that looks worse! I have many more errant strings of filament, and layers that should've been solid aren't. What am I missing??

whats up with your firmware? i don't think you would need to wait for solidoodle to release something to be able to adjust your extruder steps per mm in Eprom. in RH its config>firmware eprom configuration. then once in there, on the first row, you'll see the first line with x,y,z,e with boxes + numbers beside them, these are your motor step per MM settings. simply change the number beside E to what ever your calculated number is. i think default is 130, mine is somewhere in the range of 102.45 after the 100mm calibration test.

after setting the E step to what you calculated it should be, mark another section of 100mm of filament and extrude 100mm to test, if your within a mm or 2, thats good enough. if your a little higher, try lowering the steps per mm by .05, a little low, add .05, etc. just don't use large numbers to make adjustments once you get close with the calibration steps. remember that this is steps per 1 mm, any change here will be magnified 25000x when your printing something using 25000mm of filament. lol

after getting that sorted to your satisfaction, set your flow multiplier to 1 (yes, 1). and print a test cube with 1 perimeter and no infill, i think there are some test cubes on thingiverse that are only 1 wall thick and top/bottomless so you can print with normal settings. use your calipers to measure the wall thickness. can use the same calculations as for extruder step/mm to determine the ratio, wall thickness should be .42 mm be default. with a 1 as your multiplier it will probably be .55 or more. by setting the multiplier to 1, its very simple math, simply divide what you should have by what you got. in this case: .42/.55 = .7636. set the multiplier to .764 and try another print, measure the wall, should be pretty close this time. can do the math again, or simply add/subtract+test.

Link to whole thread: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3067/updating-firmware/

tl;dr: I have a newer type of board that they haven't released the firmware for yet evidently.

---
Why would using the correct amount of filament extrusion cause a print to look worse? It's very odd...

Thanks,  I am having a  similar problem with my printer.  I am going to try these out tomorrow!!