Topic: Guide to printing PLA on a Solidoodle

Maybe you found this thread and hope to find an actual guide to printing in PLA like the title says.  I was hoping to find one too.  But I've just spent an hour doing searches and reading dozens of threads and wiki pages and other sources, and I couldn't get a clear idea of how to print PLA on the Solidoodle, though it's clear a number of people are doing it.  So I'm starting this thread to try to gather the information that's available from those who know.  If people use this thread to post some good input, I will edit this top post into the actual guide that the topic promises.

Here's what I found in the last few hours of researching:

• An extruder temperature of 180 is most commonly recommended.  But there are references to using other temperatures in some situations or with some filaments, but no guidance I could find about when you'd use a different temperature.

• The bed should be glass.  No, it should be blue painter's tape.  No, it should be kapton.  No, it should be masking tape.  I found a lot of recommendations but none seemed to get the vote more than any other.

• The bed should either not be heated (for instance, see here and here), or it should be heated to 85 (for instance, see here).  Quite a range of difference of temperature between those two extremes.

• I saw a number of references to using an extra fan mounted in the case or on the extruder to cool the print, but every reference I found was referring to something else not still present, or just assuming you already knew about it.  No certainty about whether this is a necessity for all PLA prints, or just for bigger or more complex ones, or what.

• I found no guidance about any Slic3r settings you might want to change (other than temperatures as noted above).

If you have expertise to share, please do so.  If we can get consensus, I'd like to record it here; and if we don't, at least we'll have the arguments for each side of each issue.

(By the way, this is what I want to print in PLA, since the nice dark green filament I got that's the right color for it is PLA, something I didn't realize until it arrived.  Hopefully this is a pretty simple print and thus a good one to cut my PLA teeth on.)

Re: Guide to printing PLA on a Solidoodle

Some notes from my experiences:

- 180ish depending on your hot end is good, but may vary from filament to filament. Experimentation is the key here.
- I have gotten PLA to stick to blue tape without heating or glass at ~120 degrees (yes higher than ABS temps). Either way I needed to turn the first layer speed down low to help it stick. Once I had a good stick the rest of the print was good.
- I changed no other slic3r settings besides this.
- I ran a fan over the print the whole time which seemed to work out well. Consensus is that PLA is runnier and needs the fan to stop it distorting, although it will suffer less from warping and shrinkage overall compared to ABS.

I use white PLA working fine @ 180-195 with 95 bed on kapton. It sticks a little too good at these temps.

4 (edited by adrian 2013-06-24 08:26:43)

That will print fine in PLA, even without a fan.
Fan is needed for overhangs, bridging and fine detail work - PLA oozes so keeps 'moving' a little bit. This can be good on low surface detail prints though, as it hides the layers much better than ABS. plain models will print fine without it though...

I personally use 60oC bed with ceramic tile + hairspray the most often. Depending on the PLA, it could be 165°C through to 185°C.
Blue Painters works fine on a COLD bed.
Glass all by itself works, at 110°C (but you'll need an upgraded bed to get there reliably - and Borosillicate to stop it exploding)
Kapton + Acetone on the Alu Bed @ 65-70°C OR on a Sheet of Glass 65-70°C worked fine...

And just to cause issues - I'm experimenting with Sugar Water next day or so which over on RepRappers is supposed to work a treat as well...

If you find its a bit oozy, drop the temp 5°C.... I also have to have a BIG retraction value to reduce stringing and layer-change bulges...

5 (edited by DesignerFred 2013-06-24 10:04:52)

Bed 65 and  wire 195... smile on glass with hairspay...

Part commes right off when all is cold....

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

6 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-06-25 01:54:06)

Okay, so I made my first try, and it didn't work that well.

Extruder: I found I had to change this in Slic3r settings in like three places as well as Manual Control.  But what's the right temperature?  I understand that there's some room for it to vary from around 180, but how do I know when the temperature is right?  At 180 it looked too goopy so I tried 175, and it still seemed a little goopy, but when I got down to 170 I started getting the "cold extrusion prevented" and I couldn't find any way to change that limit, so I settled on 175.  But given my later results, maybe it needed to be goopier than it was?  I don't know what the right runniness level is.

Bed: I don't have blue painter's tape or ceramic, so I went with glass and hairspray.  It wasn't clear to me that people are saying you want a low temperature with tape/ceramic and a high one with glass, so I started at 65 as DesigerFred suggested, but it wouldn't even come close to sticking, so I cranked it up to 90.  That's what you'll see in the picture below.  Plenty of hairspray.  Basically ended up back at what I already use for ABS.

Slic3r: I set the first layer speed to 50% (it had been at 75%) but otherwise no changes apart from the temperature having to be changed in fifty thousand places.

Transition: I ran the extruder at 190 while I pushed through the remaining ABS and worked in the PLA, gradually cranking it down to 180.  That part worked fine.

Results: While the head ran across the glass it seemed like it would spit out a little bit and then trail a tiny thin line of filament, then spit out a bit more, and so on.  By the time it finished doing that 'warm-up lap' it does, it was laying down a modestly but not entirely consistent amount of filament.  Sometimes when it took a corner, the filament would follow it, dragging across the arc, so the lines weren't being formed right, since it wasn't sticking.  It also seemed that it wasn't consistently extruding a reasonable amount of filament, and this continued throughout the entire print -- if anything it got worse later.  I left it running anyway since it was a fairly short job, and this is what I ended up with:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q77/s720x720/992890_676915672322781_1312313836_n.jpg

All those lines are strands of filament left behind during some of the extruder movements.  One thing this picture doesn't reveal is that there's almost no third dimension here; this is all pretty nearly flat.  The original design is not particularly thick, admittedly, but it's supposed to have a raised edge, and there's no sign of it.  A lot of the time, while the head was zigzagging across the bed, I couldn't even tell if anything was coming out.

Conclusion: Either I need to run the bed way hotter than I normally run it for ABS (and I don't think I can get it to more than 97 with the stock heater and my plexiglas enclosure), or I need to try the painter's tape solution, once I can get some painter's tape.  Do I put the painter's tape on top of the glass, or in place of the kapton, or what?  (No matter what the answer is, I imagine I'll have to recalibrate Z to account for the glass's and tape's thickness.)

I'm still not sure how to know what the right extruder temperature is, other than to do a jillion failed prints at each number until one seems right, and even that only if by coincidence all other settings happen to be right.  It's the same problem I keep having as I learn this stuff.  I can look at a print like this and tell it didn't work, but I can't tell that the extruder temperature contributed, and if it did, whether that means it needs to be hotter or colder.  And there's a hundred other adjustments that could be made, and no idea which ones would do what to the outcome.  Without somewhere to start on what each thing does and what I'm trying to get to, this is like trying to crack a combination iteratively, only where each attempt takes 20 minutes and wastes filament.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to set that cold extrusion temperature limit.  What little I could find Googling that suggested that I can't.  Which seems really silly.

Just after I posted that, I found the way to disable the cold extrusion limit; add M302 to your start code and/or execute it directly.

you can lower it permanently via Firmware (configuration.h) - but if you tend to alternate filaments, best to leave it using the gcode.

Your sticking problem sounds a lot like what I experienced.

Fortunately for me I was using an aftermarket silicone bed so hitting 120 deg was easy. I'm not sure what you can do to get your temp higher.

Maybe the painter's tape is the way to go.

I'm printing PLA at 170 (M302 in GCode) and have been printing on glass (no hairspray) with the bed at 60.

As long as the glass is clean, it sticks without issue.

Solidoodle 3. Lawsy MK5. J-Head. Glass over bed (wood).

tomirving92 wrote:

I'm printing PLA at 170 (M302 in GCode) and have been printing on glass (no hairspray) with the bed at 60.

Anything else different about what you're doing and what I'm doing to suggest why I had the results I did?

Hunter Green wrote:
tomirving92 wrote:

Anything else different about what you're doing and what I'm doing to suggest why I had the results I did?

All glass is not equal, and thickness makes a big difference.

Have a read of http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com.au/2010 … glass.html

Interesting information, if a bit inconclusive.  For the record, my glass is single-strength in thickness, nothing special about it.

I'm going to make another try on glass at 90, making very sure it's thoroughly cleaned and hairsprayed, and using the frame back instead of the front since that should be easier, and see if I get any differences.  Not expecting it to work, but I'm not sure what else I can try to vary at this point before I get the painter's tape (which will be a few days at the least).

I'm just using some glass I got from an old picture frame. It's about 3mm thick.

Solidoodle 3. Lawsy MK5. J-Head. Glass over bed (wood).

15 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-06-25 14:06:29)

Well, what I feared would happen, and the reason I've been avoiding PLA all this time, happened.  I've got a clogged extruder.

Based on http://wiki.solidoodle.com/unclogging-procedures I think it's a cold clog; I can see a broken-off chunk of filament below the geared wheels (is that the "peak"?).  Trying to figure out how to push it out as advised there; I've got a hex wrench trying to push down on it, no sense that it's making it move.  Should I be coming in from the top (where filament normally feeds in) or the side (with the extruder path opened)?  I'm not sure if I'm even actually pushing on the filament or just some part of the extruder.

Should the extruder heat be on when I do this?  Should I be using the Extrude button or does that not matter?

The hot end is slowly seeping out a bit of PLA, but very slowly.

If I can recover from this, I may set the whole PLA experiment aside.  Now I'm out of business again and worried I'm going to be over my head trying to fix this, if it ends up requiring that disassemble/reassemble step you guys are all so blasé about.

16 (edited by adrian 2013-06-25 14:15:45)

heat the extruder, and pull it out with tweezers, after undoing the tension arm (the thing with the bearing).

I hate to say it - but I have dozens of PLA printed parts. I didn't find nearly half the hassle you've been reporting. And touch wood - despite doing regular swaps between ABS and PLA, haven't managed to clog myself.

So don't go hating on the PLA... wink

17 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-06-25 14:49:02)

There's no part sticking up I could grab with tweezers; the break is apparently below the "lip" of the channel.  I've been trying to push down, but I can't tell if I'm pushing on the filament or not; in any case, nothing's moving.

Is it possible the clog is actually below the PEEK?  I figured since it was still oozing filament for a bit, that was unlikely, but how can I tell?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I am pushing on the filament and it's not budging.

19 (edited by adrian 2013-06-25 15:09:57)

Guitar E String poked up the nozzle ?

The process documented for removing and replacing the hot end is full of warnings not to do it casually as it's tricky, but when I watch the video here:
http://vimeo.com/55528973
It doesn't seem that hard to me, or over my head.  (Where most of the time when I see videos like this, they seem way harder than everyone describes them.)  Am I really underestimating how tricky that is?

Hunter Green wrote:

The process documented for removing and replacing the hot end is full of warnings not to do it casually as it's tricky, but when I watch the video here:
http://vimeo.com/55528973
It doesn't seem that hard to me, or over my head.  (Where most of the time when I see videos like this, they seem way harder than everyone describes them.)  Am I really underestimating how tricky that is?

Be careful with the brass parts. They break easily.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

adrian wrote:

Guitar E String poked up the nozzle ?

I've pushed a sewing needle up there with a thimble, and it won't go in more than a tiny bit, but this has also caused a bit more PLA to ooze out.  Just a few drops.

Sounds like I have a hot end clog, not a cold clog, despite visible filament above the PEEK.

If you are handy (can work a screw driver, allen wrench, open end wrench, razor knife, etc) it isn't too difficult. You should not have to disassemble the entire acrylic jigsaw to pull the hot end out. Just remove a couple allen screws that are in the way. The toughest part of removing the hot end is holding the screws with something pointed while turning the nuts on the bottom of the hot end mount plate. If you choose to do it, remove the nozzle after you heat it up while the hot end is still attached. You will have to heat it to temp, then cut the kapton tape, carefully remove the thermistor, turn off the heat, then unscrew the nozzle. Otherwise, the nozzle will be glued to the hot end with the plastic inside. You may be able to clean the hot end after the nozzle is removed and the hot end is still attached.

In fact, you could remove the nozzle and attach the Thermistor temporarily (Kapton tape) to the brass barrel where the nozzle previously was, then heat the hot end and scoop the plastic out with a bigger guitar string or other small tool. You would be better off to slide something through from the top so you don't push hot plastic up through the peek. The peek hole is between 1.75mm and 2.0mm. I sometimes use a small allen wrench to force plastic from the top down to clear a clog.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

24 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-06-25 16:09:39)

Guess I can't even try to solve this until I can get to someplace that sells guitar strings, then.  Strangely, none of my toolkits come standard with those.

I was using a sewing needle (since I have those) and got a bit of goop to ooze out for a few minutes, the nothing.  John advised me to keep working at it, even though the needle only went in 1mm or so, so I did, but nothing more came.  After a while, I think maybe the tip of the needle broke off inside, because now I can't even get it that far in.

I guess the idea is if even if a broken needle tip and the clog make it impossible to get a needle in at all, a guitar string somehow will get in and, slowly, break up the clog?  Not sure how that's going to work, but it seems I can't get any other ideas until I've exhausted that one, successfully or not, so I will just have to try to find a local source for guitar strings later in the week.

It's unclear to me whether removing the hot-end would actually help.  Would I be able to push on the clog from the top any better?  If not, probably wouldn't.  John has mostly been discouraging of that approach, anyway.

25 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-06-25 16:36:17)

This is what the bit above the PEEK looks like.  You can see the end of my hex driver pushing down against the filament, which you can see is slightly buckled, and which has not budged a nanometer since that buckle formed, no matter how hard I push on it.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb55/LendrenStarfall/3D-Printer/image_zpsf0ff070f.jpeg

I'd post pictures of the hot-end but there's nothing visible there -- the clog is entirely on the inside, of course.