Re: Guide to printing PLA on a Solidoodle

I think your best bet there is to pull apart the acrylic assembly, remove what you can in filament then heat up the hotend and pull/push out the rest... unfortunately

I had a similar clog when I wasn't paying attention and spent a fair amount of time carefully clipping a new piece of filament and helping it in by hand then when the end bent or slipped I'd pull it out clip it off and try again for new purchase.  It oozed a little bit from the nozzle each time till it finally worked itself free.  I noticed while doing this that it helped a lot to adjust the tension on the nut and spring.  I would imagine after this you'd need to re-calibrate your machines firmware to tell it how many turns pushes 1 mm again.

It looks like melted plastic was pulled up from the hot end then solidified. That may be difficult to remove without disassembling the acrylic jigsaw.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Disassemble and then print a mk4 or other replacement extruder immediately to avoid this happening in future.

30 (edited by musisold-fun 2013-06-25 21:18:23)

Hello,

I have the same problem except that I have enough left of filament to grab it with tweezers. But, I cannot pull it out or even push it in...

I just go my solidoodle 2 weeks ago so I am really not comfortable with it yet.... I was printing PLA @ 180°C.

Help please !!

Post's attachments

extruder .jpg
extruder .jpg 1.15 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

musisold-fun wrote:

Hello,

I have the same problem except that I have enough left of filament to grab it with tweezers. But, I cannot pull it out or even push it in...

I just go my solidoodle 2 weeks ago so I am really not comfortable with it yet.... I was printing PLA @ 180°C.

Help please !!

Make sure the hotend is up to melting temperature for the filament being removed.

ronsii wrote:

Make sure the hotend is up to melting temperature for the filament being removed.

Even then, impossible to pull it out. and I tried quit hard....

if a disassemble, will I be able to unclog it or I will need a new hot end?

There is a stickied disassembly guide on here. No need for new hot end unless you break something.

Hunter Green - I note over in the Repetier-Host thread you mentioned you had some Acks etc enabled in Repetier-Host.

You should try disabling everything but the default - having it display the OK and Conf messages actually slows comms down with the driver board. Its complicated, but you are much better off disabling this function to preserve CPU cycles for actually processing Print data rather than displaying "OK" ... Ditto you should disable filament path drawing etc because it uses 3D code that can be quite CPU Intensive and often can be the cause of 'hiccups' in printing...

Not saying its the only issue - but its a thought that occured to me might be worth at least trying with switched off to give the maximum available CPU to the job of printing.... (and thus small defects that can appear in prints...)

I don't have Acks turned on, what made you think I did?  That makes the log unusably cluttered.  When I installed 0.9 it turned on more things I'd turned off.

36 (edited by adrian 2013-06-26 11:58:19)

Was just checking based on

Hunter Green wrote:

It lost my Config | Printer Settings settings and the Show in Log checks, but that's all.  Not too bad.

Didn't say you did,  was just sharing a thought and expanding the reasoning for that thought.... *shrug* smile

Okay, misunderstood what you meant then.

In related news, I found a guitar store within a few miles of my office and was able to get there on my bike, despite the thunderstorms, so I have an E string now.  Tonight I will resume with what Solidoodle Support John suggested, using it to try to break up the clog from the bottom.

Really sorry that I hijacked my own thread -- I was hoping to, and still maybe hope to, make this a place to gather instructions for PLA printing for the next poor shlub who wants to give it a try, but my printer-immobilizing clog has taken over.  For the record, I do have an MK4 set printed, but if the process of removing the hot-end is considered over my head and too risky, rebuilding the entire thing is probably way beyond me, so I have them printed mostly as a solution of last resort -- and if John's right about being able to clean out the clog from the bottom, a last resort I am not yet at.  (I'm still figuring removing the hot end would be the next resort, in hopes I can clean it out better from the top than the bottom -- or at least replace it -- because I think once the hot end is off, the upper clog can be easily worked out, but maybe I'm wrong about that, too.)  Of course, if I can't even get the E string up in there, as I fear I won't, it'll all be moot, but at least I only spent a buck on it.

38 (edited by adrian 2013-06-26 14:40:44)

Hunter Green wrote:

It's ok, I misunderstand myself on a regular basis big_smile

Best of luck with the guitar string - thankfully not something I've had to resort to so far with my hotends (but maybe because I 'stole' some E-String from my Muso mate (Sidecutters and a momentary distraction wink ) and Murphys Law states due to my adherence to the 7-P's (Prior Planning and Preperation Prevents P(*s Poor Performance) that I will not get clogs... similar to religiously carrying wet weather gear on your bike will prevent any chance of rain occuring big_smile )

Hunter Green wrote:

In related news, I found a guitar store within a few miles of my office and was able to get there on my bike, despite the thunderstorms, so I have an E string now.  Tonight I will resume with what Solidoodle Support John suggested, using it to try to break up the clog from the bottom.

Really sorry that I hijacked my own thread -- I was hoping to, and still maybe hope to, make this a place to gather instructions for PLA printing for the next poor shlub who wants to give it a try, but my printer-immobilizing clog has taken over.  For the record, I do have an MK4 set printed, but if the process of removing the hot-end is considered over my head and too risky, rebuilding the entire thing is probably way beyond me, so I have them printed mostly as a solution of last resort -- and if John's right about being able to clean out the clog from the bottom, a last resort I am not yet at.  (I'm still figuring removing the hot end would be the next resort, in hopes I can clean it out better from the top than the bottom -- or at least replace it -- because I think once the hot end is off, the upper clog can be easily worked out, but maybe I'm wrong about that, too.)  Of course, if I can't even get the E string up in there, as I fear I won't, it'll all be moot, but at least I only spent a buck on it.

putting the mk4 on in place of the jigsaw is a LOT easier then putting the jigsaw back on. That shouldn't even be a thought in your head that it would be too much or too hard.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I'm not sure what people mean when they say 'the jigsaw'.  I'm talking about removing the hot-end, cleaning it out while I can get to it from both ends (and pushing up on the cold filament jam above the PEEK while it's off), then putting it back on, as described in this video:
http://vimeo.com/55528973

Is that what you mean by "putting the jigsaw back on"?  (Somewhere, I bet there's a diagram that shows which parts y'all are talking about when you use these terms, but I haven't found it.  I did accidentally stumble upon one that told me what the PEEK is, and I'm pretty sure that other things referring to a "peak" have meant that, which has caused a fair bit of confusion for me before, since it's nothing like a peak of anything.)

Heating up the hot-end now to see if the guitar string works for breaking up the clog in the hot-end like John insisted it would.

The guitar string isn't going up into the hot-end in the slightest.

And I don't know why that should be surprising.  If the needle wouldn't, why would something ten times more bendy?

Not sure if that's because the needle tip broke off, as it felt like it might have.  (Funny that solidoodle.com suggests a needle specifically, while John told me a needle is not a good choice.)

Now trying to see what the official support-endorsed next step is.  Tried to catch John in IRC but I think it's a bit too close to quitting time.

Hunter,
Is it at temp?  You won't be able to punch through cold plastic.  A guitar string should be able to move pretty far into the nozzle provided it's smaller than the nozzle diameter.

As for the jigsaw, that's the acrylic extruder pieces that attach to the stepper motor to move your filament into the hot-end.  It's called a jigsaw because it's made up of about 8 pieces of acrylic that are kind of difficult to put back together once you've got it apart.  This is why most people are told to print up the Mk4 extruder by lawsy as one of their first print.  If your jigsaw breaks when you try to clean out a clog by removing the hot end, you're pretty much screwed unless you have an alternative. 

If you need someone to print you one, I have a spare set sitting around.  As I was helped in my hour of need, so shall I help...

When using a guitar string, I hold it with a pair of small needle nosed pliers with about 3mm sticking out. That makes inserting it easier. It also stiffens it so it can push past the plastic. I then inch it up little by little moving the pliers down a small bit with each push.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Yes, at 200, and the string doesn't even start to go in, not even a tenth of a millimeter.  Either the clog is far too solid, or the needle tip did break off and is blocking the tip, or both.  (Even the needle wasn't getting in more than a millimeter or less, and never got more than a couple of drops of PLA loose.)

I did print the lawsy MK4 set, and I have it set aside.  Of course, I can't be totally sure everything in the print came out perfect, but it is stashed away.  I just found the directions (such as they are) far more baffling than the hot end removal video was (not that much, really), but maybe it's one of those things that makes perfect sense when you're in it and actually doing it.

I'm emailing support to ask what they suggest considering the tip is completely impassable now.  I have already probably made a bad situation worse and I don't want to do anything else that might have the same effect.

Removing the hot end doesn't necessarily mean taking apart the acrylic, and the video shows you how to do that.  However for some, that hot end is in there really tight.  I was never able to get mine to come out the front the way it is demonstrated, and had to take apart the extruder to get the hot end free.

Do you have calipers?  Measure the guitar string to make sure it is under .35mm  When I've tried it, it took a lot of attempts just to find the opening because .35mm is really small, and as soon as the plastic oozes a little it's hard to see exactly where it is.

Interesting article, with tips I mostly concur with:

https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/ … ing-in-pla

The guitar string is 0.15mm.

48 (edited by musisold-fun 2013-06-27 11:07:28)

Hello, I have the same issue as Hunter Green.

A got a guitar string 0.3mm thick.

I can get it in the nozzle quite deep (3,5 cm) until it get stuck. i could not get any plastic out.
With 3,5cm into the nozzle, I'm getting pretty close to the filament entrance.

So what should I think of that? I have a jam at the entrance? or melted plastic up there?

How should I fix that?

This is probably a stupid suggestion as I haven't had to deal with a clog.

But if the needle tip is stuck, would some WD40 and thicker wire (closer to .3mm, if it's a.35mm nozzle) pushed down from the top work to pop it out?

Matt

Depends on how big the needle tip is... you could just end up rotating it sideways and never get clearance.