Re: Precision 3D Printer ... from scratch

I hate to criticise, but that looks like a lot of weight for 8mm rods. May want to upgrade to 12mm.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Really nice design so far. What are you using to do these renders/designs? I use sketchup/Cinema 4d pretty regularly - never really got accustomed to cad software per se.

Hazer wrote:

I hate to criticise, but that looks like a lot of weight for 8mm rods. May want to upgrade to 12mm.

I won't know for sure until I actually build this, but I don't think so.  I have some 8mm rods I got from McMaaster Carr, and they are hardened steel.  Then there's the balls screw itself which has an unbelievable rigidity factor by design, so I don't think that something that weighs less than a pound is going to make it deflect.

But we won't know for sure until I get it built...  One of these days

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

markpenix wrote:

Really nice design so far. What are you using to do these renders/designs? I use sketchup/Cinema 4d pretty regularly - never really got accustomed to cad software per se.

Thanks,  I use Solidworks for most of my stuff.

pirvan wrote:
markpenix wrote:

Very cool. I've toyed with making my own printer as well and it's interesting to see others process. Are you planning an enclosure ala solidoodle/makerbot or more open style reprap? After receiving my solidoodle 3 about a week or so ago I would've designed the frame much differently but maybe that's just me.

markpenix wrote:
pirvan wrote:
markpenix wrote:

Very cool. I've toyed with making my own printer as well and it's interesting to see others process. Are you planning an enclosure ala solidoodle/makerbot or more open style reprap? After receiving my solidoodle 3 about a week or so ago I would've designed the frame much differently but maybe that's just me.

It's most likely going to be open frame, but it will use extruded aluminum beams like these:
http://www.grainger.com/images/products/250x250/Framing-Extrusion-2RCR3_AW99.JPG

I enjoy the versatility of those frames, attachments made easy and easily "standardized" for run-off parts.

pirvan wrote:
markpenix wrote:
pirvan wrote:

It's most likely going to be open frame, but it will use extruded aluminum beams like these:
http://www.grainger.com/images/products/250x250/Framing-Extrusion-2RCR3_AW99.JPG

I know this is an old post but any updates on it?
I also think about using ballscrew for x and y and would love some feedback if you did it.
thanks

That particular idea turned into something a little different:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/6526/pre … revisited/

I already have all the parts for this, it's just that I never found the time actually put it together.  It's all sitting in a nice box in the closet.

Maybe some day....