Topic: Precision 3D Printer ... Revisited

A while ago I posted a topic with a preliminary design of an all metal carriage subsystem using ball screws.  I never did anything about it, until now.

One of the stumbling blocks of the original design were all the custom aluminum parts.  Not having access to a machine shop, brought the whole project to a standstill.  This time, all those aluminum parts are gone, and replaced with printed parts. 

I've already ordered some 15mm "T-Slot" extrusions for the frame, and I already have most of the other components (motors, electronics, etc.).  I'll need to get a boatload of 3mm socket head screws & nuts, and start printing some of the parts.

Here is a preview of the design.  It's not complete, it's missing the "Z" axis part (motor, ball screw, platform, print bed), and some of the parts may need some tweaking, but the beauty of using printed parts is that I can revise any part as needed during assembly.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5378

At the moment I'm working on a pulley system which allows me to keep everything square.  More on that a little later.

Post's attachments

Stealth 3D Printer.JPG
Stealth 3D Printer.JPG 139.49 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Precision 3D Printer ... Revisited

Neato! Love the external motors - busy popping my SD's y and z motors out of the case at the moment (for longevity!).

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

3 (edited by ohbaby714 2014-05-28 14:58:12)

Can the screw move as fast as the belt?

I don't know much about it, just wondering.

BTW, good look with the T slot frame.

I am interested.  I am thinking of building my own printer as well.

I almost have enough leftover parts from my solidoodle 3 to make a new one. hahaha!

Keep the info coming!

Nice work! I have also some extra parts and been thinking about building another printer...

ohbaby714 wrote:

For every full turn of the screw, it moves 5mm.  I don't remember the exact number, but I think the belt moves about 30 or 32mm for every full turn of the motor. 

So yes, the screw is about 6 times slower than the belt, at the same RPM.  However, that should be easily compensated for in firmware.

I made a few changes to the layout.  Specifically, I moved the Y-Drive screw on the outside of the frame, inline with the left side smooth rod, and then moved the X-Drive screw on top, and aligned with the forward smooth rod. 

As you can probably tell, the printhead block will only have the hot end on it, the extruder motor will be outside the frame, effectively a Bowden style extruder.

I mentioned earlier that I was working on a pulley system.  I remember from my old drafting days, that the drafting table used a pulley system to keep the arm parallel, so I replicated that here.  In theory, this should keep the X carriage nice and square, and prevent skewing.  It will use round groove idler pulleys, and steel wire.  The ends of the wire will be secured to, and tensioned on the back of the right X carriage block.

My only problem is finding small idler pulleys.  Right now al I can find that is under 12m OD, is made of plastic/nylon, and doesn't have any bearings.  I'll keep looking I guess.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5403

Post's attachments

Stealth 3D Printer - Alt -001.JPG
Stealth 3D Printer - Alt -001.JPG 223.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

More unsolicited ideas (I get excited about projects tongue):

You could replace the steel wire with spectra line - it will be more than stiff enough in the longitudinal, but more flexible off axis so won't fray going around the little pulleys (the bending will fatigue the outer strands with steel wire). Probably easy to get off someone on this forum who has most of a reel left from doing their belts that way.

Grooved bearings instead of pulleys for the square line perhaps? I'd be more comfortable with proper flanges, but depending on how much tension you can achieve you might get away with it...

Are those ballscrews the ones with the motors already attached? Good call, otherwise I reckon you might need a flex coupler and extra bearing in there... If the motor konks out one day, would you have to replace the whole screw? If you have provision (room) for the coupler and second bearing in there, when the time comes you could chop the shaft up on somebody's lathe and only need a new motor and the coupler (save $$).

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper

A quick observation about Spectra line.  Sufix Brand is substantially better it is what they call a digital braided line.  I have used both on my SD3 and the Spectra just seemed to continually stretch.  It would be fine for about 10-15 hours of print time then needed to be re-tightened.  The Sufix brand which was all I could find locally I originally stayed away from because it seemed waxy.  I wish I had switched over sooner it has been running steady for a couple of months now and still looks like the day I installed it.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

10 (edited by pirvan 2014-05-29 03:08:15)

grob wrote:

More unsolicited ideas (I get excited about projects tongue):

You could replace the steel wire with spectra line - it will be more than stiff enough in the longitudinal, but more flexible off axis so won't fray going around the little pulleys (the bending will fatigue the outer strands with steel wire). Probably easy to get off someone on this forum who has most of a reel left from doing their belts that way.

Grooved bearings instead of pulleys for the square line perhaps? I'd be more comfortable with proper flanges, but depending on how much tension you can achieve you might get away with it...

Are those ballscrews the ones with the motors already attached? Good call, otherwise I reckon you might need a flex coupler and extra bearing in there... If the motor konks out one day, would you have to replace the whole screw? If you have provision (room) for the coupler and second bearing in there, when the time comes you could chop the shaft up on somebody's lathe and only need a new motor and the coupler (save $$).

The steel wire I was looking at is 1.5mm diameter, and was specifically designed for this type of duty.  In fact it's used in pulley systems for drafting tables.   

My problem is that I can't find any small idler pulleys, unless they're made of plastic and without bearings.  The smallest "U" groove metal idlers with bearings inside are 15mm OD, and cost $10-12 each, depending on the metal (stainless steel, carbon steel or aluminum).  So $80-100 for a pulley system is not something I'm looking forward to.

But that brings me to your "V" groove bearings idea.  Yeah, that might work, thank you.  I'll start looking for some.

The ball screws are standalone.  They don't have motors attached.  My model is still in the concept phase, so I haven't yet added all the parts. I will be using couplers.  I'm not sure if they'll be flex type or solid yet.  For reference, I'm using Issoku 10mm dia. ball screws with 5mm pitch.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5405

Post's attachments

Issoku ball screw.jpg 159.37 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-05-29 

Ooh that's pretty. smile One of these? http://www.issoku.jp/product/pdf/z-006-d.pdf
Flex couplers are usually a pretty specific size, based on eBay D20 x 30mm is pretty standard, as long as you leave room for one then you can choose when constructing what type works the best!

pirvan wrote:

My problem is that I can't find any small idler pulleys, unless they're made of plastic and without bearings.  The smallest "U" groove metal idlers with bearings inside are 15mm OD, and cost $10-12 each, depending on the metal (stainless steel, carbon steel or aluminum).  So $80-100 for a pulley system is not something I'm looking forward to.

Can you post what you've found, both the plastic and metal ones? I'm interested for a different (non-3D Printing) project.

pirvan wrote:
ohbaby714 wrote:

For every full turn of the screw, it moves 5mm.  I don't remember the exact number, but I think the belt moves about 30 or 32mm for every full turn of the motor. 

So yes, the screw is about 6 times slower than the belt, at the same RPM.  However, that should be easily compensated for in firmware.

This isn't exactly true, as you start to run into mechanical resonances that don't happen with belts (belts are natural dampers). Additionally, steppers have reduced torque as shaft speed increases. The inertial load from the carriage is basically the same since it is effectively "geared", but there's additional rotational inertia and friction.

tl;dr: belts are always faster.

pirvan wrote:

I made a few changes to the layout.  Specifically, I moved the Y-Drive screw on the outside of the frame, inline with the left side smooth rod, and then moved the X-Drive screw on top, and aligned with the forward smooth rod. 

As you can probably tell, the printhead block will only have the hot end on it, the extruder motor will be outside the frame, effectively a Bowden style extruder.

I mentioned earlier that I was working on a pulley system.  I remember from my old drafting days, that the drafting table used a pulley system to keep the arm parallel, so I replicated that here.  In theory, this should keep the X carriage nice and square, and prevent skewing.  It will use round groove idler pulleys, and steel wire.  The ends of the wire will be secured to, and tensioned on the back of the right X carriage block.

My only problem is finding small idler pulleys.  Right now al I can find that is under 12m OD, is made of plastic/nylon, and doesn't have any bearings.  I'll keep looking I guess.

You more or less have a H-bot here. Why not scrap the leadscrews and just drive the steel wire?

15 (edited by pirvan 2014-05-29 14:00:19)

Can you post what you've found, both the plastic and metal ones? I'm interested for a different (non-3D Printing) project.
I've been getting stuff lately from Misumi USA.  Their prices are good, and the product is good as well.  Here is the link to their idler pulleys.  You can work your way back through the catalog from there.

http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/11 … 70/?Inch=0

The plastic pulleys I found on eBay.  Do a search for toy pulleys.  You'll find things like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-20-4-1-9m … 5af1233a2c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Small-Ora … 416f5b442e

Additionally, steppers have reduced torque as shaft speed increases.
Yes, I'm aware the torque decreasing as RPM increase, but I'm not looking to break any speed limits.  I think that there's enough torque in a NEMA 17 motor to drive these screws at a pretty good clip.  For example a typical National Instruments NEMA 17 stepper is capable of 3000 RPM, while maintaining their rated holding torque.

My current SD3 belt setup has maximum feed rates of 500mm/sec in the X & Y axis.  (To drive the ball screw at 500mm/sec, I need to drive the motor at 100 RPM.  That's well within the capabilities of these motors.) 

Edit:
Oops, that was wrong, that would be 500m/min @ 100 RPM.  So to go 500mm/sec, I'd have to drive the motors @ 6000 RPM, so obviously the max speed with these motors would be about 250mm/sec @ 3000 RPM.  However, we never use those speeds for actual printing.  My max print speed is 75mm/sec for bridges, and 65mm/sec for non print moves, everything else is slower.  Those speeds translate into 900 RPM or less

You more or less have a H-bot here. Why not scrap the leadscrews and just drive the steel wire?
I've been thinking about doing an H-Bot, and I might still do, but I want to try my ball screws first.

16 (edited by pirvan 2014-05-29 06:30:08)

grob wrote:

Ooh that's pretty. smile One of these? http://www.issoku.jp/product/pdf/z-006-d.pdf
Flex couplers are usually a pretty specific size, based on eBay D20 x 30mm is pretty standard, as long as you leave room for one then you can choose when constructing what type works the best!

The turned shafts on the ball screws are 6mm, so I'll be using 5x6mm flex couplers like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x6mm-Flexible … 5b00934e0b

BTW, thanks for the U/V groove  bearing idea.  I found a couple of sizes I can use:

"U" groove 3mm bore, 10mm OD, 3mm thick
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321179716251?ss … 1423.l2649

"V" groove, same dimensions
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290708391414?ss … 1423.l2648

That's the kind of thing I was thinking of! Having a browse myself, if you can stretch the brackets to fit 4x13x7mm (624UU) bearings then the price seems to drop a touch (50c/ea instead of $3.50/ea) - these look like a more common variety. The groove has some depth  (1.9mm), so with the 1.5mm diameter cable you're using that's cable centers of 10.7mm.

Here are some 3x12x4mm.  I bought a set of these.  20 pieces for $10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331182493646?ss … 1423.l2649

Update and some questions:

Here is a new rendering, a bit more fleshed out.  Most of the major mechanical components are in there.

The print bed platform is 12" x 12", the PCB heater and glass print surface are 10" x 10".  I'm still debating on the the "Z" lift design.  At the moment I have dual Z motors and m8 lead screws mounted on the back corners, while the front corners are supported by dual LMK8UU linear bearings.

The top of the lead screws are free floating, so the cantilevered surface is supported in part by the lead screws and by the front rods & bearings.

I was thinking of an alternate layout, where the lead screws are cross-corner from each other, rear left and front right, with the smooth rods & bearings in the opposite corners.

I could also go total overkill, and put 4 smooth rods in the corners, and the lead screws centered on the sides.

Also, if I go with the current design, or the cross-corner one, should I brace the top of the lead screws ?

What do you guys think ?

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5435

Post's attachments

Stealth 3D Printer - Alt -007.JPG
Stealth 3D Printer - Alt -007.JPG 172.22 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Welllll...... four lead screws on the Z would give you bed leveling capability wink

yeah, go all out, get four!

I was kinda hoping for something a bit more constructive...

If you go 4 leadscrews for Z, you will have to constrain them up top. And they better be perfectly aligned, or else you will get horrible wobble for a slight misalignment.

But, my suggestion would be to have the screws cross-corner. That way you do not cantilever one end of the bed. It centers the 'push' along the middle of the bed. If you have the other two corners with smooth shafts constrained, you can leave the drive screws floating. It would be better if they were.

My only concern right now is your corner pieces. I hope you do not plan to print those that way. I have learned from experience corners on extruded aluminum have no rigidity, and the weight of the system makes the printed pieces split very easily before you get any tension on the frame with belts or whatever. In order to have printed parts, I made inside corners that were practically solid:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/46662/#p46662

You can see the part is printed in that orientation, thus giving some real strength to the two pieces being secured.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

24 (edited by pirvan 2014-06-01 19:56:13)

Wow, I hadn't seen this before.  I guess I need to pay more attention to the other forums, I never even looked at the Projects forum before.

I think this thread is better of there, so if the Admins or Moderators can help, I'd like to get my thread moved to the Projects forum.

Thanks Hazer... and man, you shouldn't have showed me that, now I'm thinking about changing to an H-BOT configuration.  Technically, I have a "passive" HBOT configuration on the tensioning idlers, so it's not that far off a stretch to convert, but I still want to give the ball screws a try.  They've been sitting in a drawer for almost a year.

My corner pieces wrap around the corners, so they hold the top and sides, the "HBOT" pulleys, should provide enough tension to keep the horizontal brace from trying to separate from the vertical posts.  To put it another way, the pulleys would want to pull the corners inward.  If that fails, I can always add inside corner pieces like the ones you did.

BTW, I'm printing the parts solid, and the corner pieces are 3mm thick.

I'd second Hazer's feedback to drive the z axis from opposing corners is you plan to use 2 stepper motors in unison.  You may consider driving the other side of the Y-axis as we'll either by using 2 motors as we'll for the Y or though some form of belt or screw linkage