126 (edited by Shotline 2013-08-19 21:14:35)

Re: Fix z-banding w/ no backlash- "Slop Nut" (Level 2 techie - Consumer )

Here is a picture of the part I made and my calibration cube with the new settings.

Post's attachments

IMG_20130819_044437_229.jpg 149.58 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20130819_140821_597.jpg
IMG_20130819_140821_597.jpg 1.01 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20130819_140832_037.jpg
IMG_20130819_140832_037.jpg 1009.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20130819_140858_901.jpg 1.03 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

very nice good job

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I installed this on my machine last weekend.  Worked GREAT!.  I was getting banding VERY badly before but now it is all but gone.  Still have a few things to work on but its a step in the right direction.

2n2r5 wrote:
gettingbored wrote:

So you take the print bed out of the machine to install this?

Also, there's no anti-backlash for the 5/16th Aluminum version?

If this is the first time messing with Z drive system then yes. You will need to take the bed out to remove the PEM nut.

And no, the stock screws that I had didn't have enough room for 2 5/16" nuts. I can make one if you'd like. You would just need to get M3 screws that would fit.

Humm ok sounds about right. I'm trying to locate a M3 threaded rod locally but might just end up buying one online. I remember you said you got the aluminum bed, did you take the PEM nut off right away and install a M3 rod or did you not bother with the PEM nut?

I'm figuring the M3 rod coupled with the slop nut is the best way to eliminate my banding problems, cause I can't figure them out otherwise.

Another thought I had, when space is tight, could you use a lock washer in place of a spring when it comes to a double nut anti backlash setup?

gettingbored wrote:

I'm figuring the M3 rod coupled with the slop nut is the best way to eliminate my banding problems, cause I can't figure them out otherwise.

I think you'll like the M3 a lot. The thread on an M3 (.5mm) is a lot finer than even the thread on an M5 (.8mm), so might find like me that after putting in an M3 that you won't be able so see any z-axis artifacts that you'd need a slop nut for.

tealvince wrote:
gettingbored wrote:

I think you'll like the M3 a lot. The thread on an M3 (.5mm) is a lot finer than even the thread on an M5 (.8mm), so might find like me that after putting in an M3 that you won't be able so see any z-axis artifacts that you'd need a slop nut for.

Awesome, I'm pretty excited since I just found a place locally that sells metric threaded rods, and I'm gonna pick one up in a few hours. Of course they come in 1meter lengths, so hopefully they'll be able to cut it for me tongue

The guy at the store gave me a M4 rather than an M3, so I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow to do this mod. I got everything ready to go though, removed the PEM nut and bed, and I'm using a printed coupling.

Just want to make sure I'm installing it properly. For the M3, the thin part is on the bottom touching the bed, then the two equal thickness layers that hold the nuts captive. The nuts press against each other (face each other). Add some grease between the layers. Then the box goes on top encapsulating everything.

Like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/IMG_6697.JPG

I'm gonna use some M3 screws and nuts to secure the setup to the bed, then thread the rod into the setup.

Has anyone used to the slop nut with a flexible coupler as well?

I tried a single nut anti-slop device with poor results. So decided to try a flexible coupler.

I like the idea of a flexible coupler to prevent z-wobble as it removes wobble right earlier in the Z mechanism. It made sense to to upgrade to an M5 Z-rod too as the diameter of the stepper motor is 5mm, so I could use a 5mm flexible coupler.

I then realised I would need a different mount for the M5 nut so thought I may as well try the anti-slop parts as I will need to print a mount for an M5 nut anyway. Would this make the z-rod 'floating'?

Industrial Designer
Fresh Design Works (UK)
www.freshdesignworks.co.uk

bfresh,

I used this mod with a flexible coupler. seems to work just fine.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

135 (edited by gettingbored 2013-09-10 01:21:31)

I'm not sure if this is just my printer or not but the holes for the aluminum bed don't line up with the holes for the slop nut cage.

Here are some pics, this one is on the thin plate laid over the holes. It should line up right? Looks like the holes aren't wide enough. I can measure the space between the holes on the bed and the printed piece if you want to make sure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/IMG_6728.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/IMG_6730.JPG

Or, is this the way it should be? Should I just force the bolts in there and screw them down? Or should the holes for the slot nut assembly match the aluminum bed perfectly?

I noticed a few posts back that you mentioned the outter cage should remain in place, while the inner should move freely. I don't understand how that would work though. The M3 bolts I'm using to secure it to the bed fit extremely snuggly into the two plates that trap the nuts (enough that they cut a thread in the walls of the hole). The same M3 nuts slide right through the holes in the outer cage and the thin plate that presses against the aluminum bed.

Could it be my printer that's printing these parts poorly? I'm using an Afinia H series to print them, and I believe it's calibrated correctly. There just doesn't seem to be any play with my slop nut setup at all. Or am I installing it incorrectly?

Edit: I took another quick picture. I used a tripod and lined it up as best I could to try to show the differences in the size of the holes for the plate that traps the nut and the box that encloses the entire setup. As per your description in the first post it looks like the hole diameter is flip flopped, with bigger holes in the containing box and with smaller holes in the plates that trap the nuts. Sorry the pic is a bit blurry, but I think it shows the hole diameter difference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/IMG_6732.JPG

Hmm, those hole sizes don't look right at all. It's possible that my last update to the openscad script could have fouled something up. Either way, I have attached the latest revision. My holes line up pretty well. When I measured my holes they came to 25 x 15 spacing which is what I have for the design.

I am uploading the 5mm aluminum bed version 2 to customizer and I also added it to this post.

For now to get yours working, you can either force it down and use it basically as a 5mm nut holder or you can drill out the mounting holes for the 2 nut holders.

Post's attachments

5mm_thread_adaptor_slop_anti-backlash - alu bed_V2.stl 771.37 kb, 26 downloads since 2013-09-10 

SD3 w/ mods:

137 (edited by gettingbored 2013-09-10 02:35:42)

dOh, I'm using the 3mm version. smile

So far I got it installed like the picture below. I'm definately loosing some Z height because of the monstor coupling I printed so I'm going to try to print a smaller one. I just sandwitched the two nut trapping pieces together and forced the screws into the holes bowing them out a bit. It's pretty tight against the bed so I don't think it'll relly matter.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/IMG_6741.JPG

However, when I bring the bed pretty close to the bottom, it gets locked up. I don't think the threaded rod and the nuts are lined up perfectly but as long as I don't go that low I think I'll be fine. Though that does make me want to get the slop nut working so the rod isn't messing with the bed at all, and just let the smooth rods guide it.

Really appreciate the quick reply, I'm generally so impatient that I don't want to wait a day and I'll just end up doing something dumb in the meantime haha

Now I'm trying to calculate the Z steps per/mm. Solidoodles guide for updating the EEPROM settings (http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … on-update/) seems outdated. There is no "Config" menu, but under "Printer" there is "EEPROM Settings" but clicking on that gives me the window below...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/Screen%20Shot%202013-09-09%20at%207.33.48%20PM.png

So I guess I'll end up entering the Z steps per/mm manually, or adding it to start code somewhere so that it happens every time...

138 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-09-10 02:54:35)

I am looking at the M3 version now which I can tell you is messed up. The holes sizes are switched. The larger slop holes are in cage and the smaller snug holes are in the captive pieces. Sorry about that! I haven't had anyone report back and that is the one setup that I haven't tested. Added a copy of the fixed design.

http://calculator.josefprusa.cz/

You should be at 6400 step/mm if you are using stock drivers. M3 has a pitch of .5mm

Thanks for pointing out my f-up. I hope the new one works better for you.

Watch out for the printed couplers... they tend to stick out a bit and hit the bed causing it to get stuck towards the bottom.

Post's attachments

3mm_thread_adaptor_slop_anti-backlash - alu bed.stl 754.27 kb, 28 downloads since 2013-09-10 

SD3 w/ mods:

Ah thanks for that! I'm going to print it as soon as the bed heats up, and probably install it tonight or tomorrow morning. I set the Z Steps to 6400 and using my McGyvered caliper-clamped-to-solidoodle-frame-to-act-as-dial-indicator it seems to be accurate.

I'm pretty sure I can make the coupling a lot shorter, so the threaded rod will come down pretty much to touch the end of the Z Stepper motor axle. Figure I only need a small portion of the threaded rod to be sandwiched so long as I tighten it down really well. Hopefully this kills my banding for good! Going to test it soon and will report back with results.

The M3 rod was a HUGE improvement! I'll let the picture do the talking. Left is stock 5/16 rod, right is M3 rod.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/IMG_6746.JPG

This did however make me realize my printer has some other demons to work out. For instance, the walls of my prints don't seem to come out evenly. In Slic3r my extrusion multiplier is set to .8 in order to get walls that are the correct thickness. However this means they barely come in contact enough to adhere well. It's like there's one setting I have off that's impacting a bunch of others... This might not be the thread to delve into this though. Anyways here are some pictures of that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8410101/IMG_6750.JPG

Quite the contrast between the left and the right.

ok, so I have my printbed out and I'm looking at the PEM nut... do I remove this and then place it in the enclosure? Thanks guys!

trey.mcd wrote:

ok, so I have my printbed out and I'm looking at the PEM nut... do I remove this and then place it in the enclosure? Thanks guys!

You need to remove the PEM nut, but don't put it in the enclosure. There's a guide to removing it here, and I remember I did something similar, but used the threaded rod that came with the printer and two nuts locked together to rotate it out of the printer.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2990/bos … -consumer/

gettingbored wrote:
trey.mcd wrote:

You need to remove the PEM nut, but don't put it in the enclosure. There's a guide to removing it here, and I remember I did something similar, but used the threaded rod that came with the printer and two nuts locked together to rotate it out of the printer.

Bingo, got it! Thanks!

trey.mcd wrote:
gettingbored wrote:
trey.mcd wrote:

Bingo, got it! Thanks!

Sweeeet! If you can, post some pics of your new setup!

On a stock 5/16 I have 4 pieces. Dumb question how do I install them?

it looks like I remove the 4 outside nuts, place the 5/16 big nut into the pressed piece then bolt the large cover using the 4 outside bolts?

what are the 2 thin pieces for? can I get away with out using them?
and Can I just install form the top nut portion without removing the Z at all?

SD2 owner- Surestepr, filament holder,QUBD servo and heaters, glass bed
Print for fun and for parts for my sports cars
current car is 88 IROC

jjcuff1 wrote:

On a stock 5/16 I have 4 pieces. Dumb question how do I install them?

it looks like I remove the 4 outside nuts, place the 5/16 big nut into the pressed piece then bolt the large cover using the 4 outside bolts?

what are the 2 thin pieces for? can I get away with out using them?
and Can I just install form the top nut portion without removing the Z at all?

there should only be one thin piece. that is used to reduce friction between the nut holder and the platform. the outer shell should fit over the other 2 pieces. the file might have a mistake where it has 4 pieces which is what the other rod sizes have.

feel free to use this however it works for you. there is no wrong way to customize your machine. there happen to be some ways that work better than others but that is part of the fun of modding.

SD3 w/ mods:

@2n2r5 - I'm a little unclear similar to @jjcuff1. My SD2 is only 3 weeks old so it's all stock except for my jigsaw. I Printed the 5/16 version and even have a nut handy. I've sort of installed it but I don't want to tighten everything up/down until I'm sure I'm understanding it all correctly. So tell me if and where I'm making a mistake.

1. Print parts

2. I have only 3 pieces. The thin one, the nut hugger, and the cover. they go on the machine in that order. Thin, hugger with nut inside, cover. Now, in regards to the hugger, I notice I can tighten this up until the slop nut is firm/tight but, it isn't lined up right and when lined up properly the nut is a little loose. Not x loose in the hole but z loose so the nut can slide up and down the rod as the z goes up and down. I'm thinking that is correct.

3. Bolt the whole thing down in the four corners. This will tighten the part but still let the slop nut "float" inside it.

Is it just that easy? Logic tells me it is because of the stock rod. I see there are links about removing the z rod and PEM nut and other stuff. Am I correct to assume that that all applies to changing your rod before using your part and not relevant to the 5/16 rod?

So just to be simple, on the stock aluminum bed with the stock 5/16 rod, all I have to do is print the part(s), and put it on. I'm sorry there is just a lot info and I don't want to start messing with stuff that doesn't apply to me and my situation. Maybe in a month or so I'll switch out the rods but I'm fairly happy with it now. I know I have a z issues because my parts will band a little and start to miss entirely once I get to about 17-18 mm high. So I'd like to install this and then print a calibration part to get my numbers to change my steps in the firmware.

Also, there is very minimal hardware on my aluminum bed. I have that PEG nut and that's about it. There are 4 little holes that this part lines up with and from reading around, it looks like previous versions of the SD2 used those holes for something. Mine are free to be used for whatever like, this neat part. Question is, what size screws/bolts should I use in those four corners to finalize my installation?

I'm really loving my printer and I'd like to get it all dialed in but I don't want to Ef it up in the process. Thanks smile

148 (edited by ryan-mm85 2014-04-07 19:46:01)

very dumb question. but how the heck are these assembled?
I have an aluminum bed.***EDIT got this part figured out.

and the case the part that looks like a rectangular cover, my walls are supper thin, is that right or not?
don't have this figured yet.

@Antron007 did you ever get a response to this? I'm in the exact same boat.

Could anyone offer help?

Hey @rhys91, I never got a response but I did get it all set up and it seems to be working. I have an x motor issue now so I can't tell how much it's helping because my prints are rough due to a skip in my x. The spindle got bent and I have yet to take it apart or try to replace it. But before I messed my x up, I didn't have the 17-18 mm issues anymore. I think I did a 30mm tall pillar and it came out OK.

What I did was print out the  5/16 version, put down the thin flat piece, then the block. I then threaded the nut down and as stated above, there is just a little play and that seems to be OK. I then put the cover on. You need 3m or m3 screws.  I used these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111068993459?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

and these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111104351108?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

I hope this helps. Sorry it took so long but with my printer needing some work, I haven't been on the forums.