Re: Fix z-banding w/ no backlash- "Slop Nut" (Level 2 techie - Consumer )

So you take the print bed out of the machine to install this?

Also, there's no anti-backlash for the 5/16th Aluminum version?

gettingbored wrote:

So you take the print bed out of the machine to install this?

Also, there's no anti-backlash for the 5/16th Aluminum version?

If this is the first time messing with Z drive system then yes. You will need to take the bed out to remove the PEM nut.

And no, the stock screws that I had didn't have enough room for 2 5/16" nuts. I can make one if you'd like. You would just need to get M3 screws that would fit.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

im getting my printer dialed in more and more....but as i do i noticed my banding is HORRIBLE!  It probably always was bad but i never saw it because i was messing with other stuff.  I still have the stock 5/16 rod and just wanted a general instruction on this???  So i go with what file (post # or link would be great)?  Do I remove the stock nut on the bottom of the bed?  What needs adjusted about the nut/nuts inside the enclosure?  Do i leave the 4 m3 screws slightly loose that holds it to the bed hence the reason for 2 nuts?  Would 1 locking nut work instead of the 2 nuts?  As asked by gettingbored above do i need to wait for the one with the anti backlash nut?

Thanks guys...my mind just runs 100mph and i like to get a whole project sorted out in my head before i start anything

chuddly wrote:

im getting my printer dialed in more and more....but as i do i noticed my banding is HORRIBLE!  It probably always was bad but i never saw it because i was messing with other stuff.  I still have the stock 5/16 rod and just wanted a general instruction on this???  So i go with what file (post # or link would be great)?  Do I remove the stock nut on the bottom of the bed?  What needs adjusted about the nut/nuts inside the enclosure?  Do i leave the 4 m3 screws slightly loose that holds it to the bed hence the reason for 2 nuts?  Would 1 locking nut work instead of the 2 nuts?  As asked by gettingbored above do i need to wait for the one with the anti backlash nut?

Thanks guys...my mind just runs 100mph and i like to get a whole project sorted out in my head before i start anything

The files are all hosted on thingiverse. I put them all in customizer so all you have to do is pick which bed type you have and what size rod you are using. The stock of course is 5/16.

http://www.thingiverse.com/apps/customi … _id=101308

For this to work as intended, the stock PEM nut does need to be removed. However, I think that NLancaster has reported back good results with leaving the stock nut in place. As far as the tightening goes, you will want to play with it a little bit. The outer shell should stay in place but the inside should be free to move with the threaded rod. The current 5/16 version works better than the stock system so if you have bad banding then I would say switch now. I don't know when I will be able to get around to the anti-backlash version. As with any mod that you use printed parts for. Make sure you print spares just in case something happens when you try to install it.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

105 (edited by Shotline 2013-08-17 22:25:51)

I have done this upgrade with the M5 rod and the results for Z banding are great.  However I am having a major problem.  When the bed changes direction I am losing .5 to .4 mm of travel and it takes about 4 movements to recover to normal layer change height.  This would seem like a backlash problem but I can't figure out where the issue is.  I am using a flex coupler and the aluminum bed.  The nuts holding the slop nut mechanism to the bed are not overly tight, the rod can move but not as freely as in 2n2r5's video.

One possible problem is the bed itself.  Without the rod connected, should the bed freely slide up and down the rods in the back?  If you were to let go of the bed should it just fall to the bottom?  Mine moves if you move it with your hands but if you just let go of it, it will stay put.  I am wondering if I could have bent the rods during disassembly/assembly of the platform or is there a particular way it must be assembled to get the free movement?

Thanks for any help.

Shotline wrote:

I have done this upgrade with the M5 rod and the results for Z banding are great.  However I am having a major problem.  When the bed changes direction I am losing .5 to .4 mm of travel and it takes about 4 movements to recover to normal layer change height.

It's entirely possible that you are having a binding problem.  I've found myself that an inflexible coupler is better than a flexible one because a flexible one allows a certain amount of "bounce", and I'd expect that if the bed sticks at all, the effect could be quite pronounced.  I'm using an M3 rod, which has enough flex in itself that a helical coupling is not necessary, but if you have a slop nut (which I found unecessary with an m3 rod) I'd think the same would be true.

However, if you still want to keep the helical coupling, one trick I found that might help is to push in both the rod and motor shaft all the way into the coupling so that they touch.  Then stretch out the helical coupling a little bit before tightening the last setscrew so that it compresses both shaft ends together.  That way, the flexible coupling can still bend, but it doesn't allow the two shafts to move relative to each other vertically.

There was a small spacer plate that goes on first which is .5mm. If that didn't get installed then you would have that much hysteresis in the z axis. If you don't feel like ripping it apart to put in the spacer, you can try fixing it in firmware. If you use the m99 command you would just add M99 Z.5 to your start code before it homes the bed.

I have an update to the 5mm aluminum bed slopnut. I added the file below. It has a bit more play. Just make sure that you tighten all nuts and bolts evenly but do not over tighten. I generally tighten the bolts down until it just starts to affect the movement on the threaded rod then back it off a 1/4 turn. Also, make sure that you have a little grease between all the layers. When you get finished the rod should move freely. The rod might not necessarily go back to center when you release it. Mine would go back to centerish after i ran it up and down a little. the important thing is that the flex happens inside the nut and not in the bed.

SD3 w/ mods:

I do have the bottom spacer in place and I will try re-tightening the nuts.  For the M99 command, where does it go?  Do I put it in the start code section of the G-Code Editor or place it directly in the G-Code output by Slic3r?  If directly in the G-Code how do I find the correct place?

I tried putting the threaded rod directly on top of the stepper shaft and stretching the coupler before and it didn't help.  However I will try it again.

109 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-08-17 23:41:25)

first 3 lines of the start section of G-code editor in slic3r would read something like this

G21; set mm units
M99 X0 Y0 Z0.5 E0 ; set hysteresis values
G28 ;home all axis

If you have a dial indicator you can figure out exactly what to change this to.

SD3 w/ mods:

I measured the movement of the platform with a digital meter.  I first moved the platform down about 100mm and then homed it and then commanded 1mm downward movements and those are listed in the Down column.  Then I homed the platform and moved it until the meter almost quit reading and commanded a 1mm upward movement for each reading which are listed in the up column.  Since the meter is accurate to .01 mm all of the movements seem to be pretty right on except the first one.

I have tried the hysterisis setting that 2n2r5 suggested and while it seems to help, no matter what setting I use .3, .4, .5, etc. the symptoms change but don't go away.

Here are the layer change measurements I am getting.

Down   Up
.50       .59
.99       1
.98       .98
1.01     .99
1          1
.98       1.01
.98       1
1          1
1          .99
1.01     .95

WHAT AM I MISSING?????/

Help!

111 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-08-18 04:05:17)

i'm not totally sure I understand what you are measuring there. Is that measuring you pressing down then up over and over? so basically there is no change in height? If so that means you have more than 1mm in hysteresis. Here is my procedure that I follow...

---- Use this procedure to null position -----
Enter "M99 Z0" into G-Code line of manual control tab in Repetier-Host
Home your bed to 0mm using home button
Then Lower your bed 10mm
then raise it 10 mm

---- Use this procedure to measure Z hysteresis ----
Zero Dial Indicator
Note Postion of bed (should be 0 in RH)
Hit Z+ 1mm until you dial indicator starts moving at 1mm intervals
Note new position in repetier-host (calculated position)
Note the reading on the dial indicator (measured position)

---- Math/Set/Verify -----
hysteresis setting = calculated position - measure position
enter m99 z(hysteresis setting) into G-code line of manual control tab in Repetier-Host
enter M98 to read back settings to ensure they match what you entered

Now if you try any z movements you should notice 1mm should equal 1mm of movement for any direction.

SD3 w/ mods:

112 (edited by Shotline 2013-08-18 03:49:45)

I know, that was awfully confusing...sorry.

Basically take an initial measurement, press down 1mm and measure the difference.

Every movement is about 1mm except for the first movement which is only .5mm.

I did downwards and upwards to ensure it wasn't a directional issue.

113 (edited by Shotline 2013-08-18 04:36:23)

I did the procedure you listed but it didn't work.  I still don't get 1mm movement.

One thing I did notice is that when I enter M98 I get:

H=X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.29 E0.0 SHIFTS:X=0.00 Y=0.00 Z=800.0 E=0.00

What does the Shifts: Z=800.0 mean?

I did enter the M99 Z0 and then M99 Z0.29.  Regardless of what M99 value I enter for Z, M98 shows the SHIFTS: z=800.0

Edit: After trying a few different values and then reentering Z0, the Shifts now reads Z=81.00

hmm, that can't be a real value. 
However,
H=X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.29 E0.0 SHIFTS:X=0.00 Y=0.00 Z=800.0 E=0.0

^it is taking the value. The first set of numbers is Hysteresis ...

SD3 w/ mods:

Yes it is taking the value, I just thought maybe that shifts number might have something to do with it.

I have set the M99 Z value to .15 and that gives me a 1mm movement on the dial.  The second movement is only .96.  After that each move is right around 1mm (give or take .02 or so).

However, if I home the Z axis, zero the meter and then give a 10mm movement it only moves 9.14mm and then when I move it back up 10mm the meter reads -0.06 indicating that it is short .04mm.

I think I may be on to something that will fix it.  I appreciate your help and will keep working on it but don't want to take up your time.  I will post here if I need more help or figure out what fixes it.

Is there a way to make the hysterisis value permanent in the printer or do I have to enter it every time?

On a side note, the .stl for the 5mm aluminum bed slop nut, the holes in the nut holders are only M3 size.  I had to drill them out to make this work.

116 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-08-18 05:09:14)

hmm... have you calibrated the z steps per mm it's sounds like that might be an issue also

the hysteresis will keep only until your reboot the printer. If you have it in your start g-code then it will make sure it's there for your prints

SD3 w/ mods:

I have not done the Z steps, I put 4000 in as that seemed to be universally accepted number.

Is there a procedure around for it?

10/9.14 * 4000 = ~4376

(expected)/(measured)*(current step/mm) = (new steps/mm)

You can try that to see if you are having any luck. Something to watch out for is that depending how your dial indicator is mounted, you might not have any travel left and that is why it is only reading 9.14 instead of something closer to 10mm. I know I had some trouble with that. I had to add an extension tip on my indicator to get full range back. It might be safer to work off of a 5mm movement.

SD3 w/ mods:

Shotline wrote:

I have not done the Z steps, I put 4000 in as that seemed to be universally accepted number.

4000 should be the correct value for an M5 rod, as the motor takes 3200 steps per rotation and an M5 has a thread pitch of .8 mm per rotation (3200/.8 = 4000).  You shouldn't adjust this value as threaded rods don't really vary in pitch; I think you'd only need to do that with a threadless rod/nut.

tealvince wrote:
Shotline wrote:

4000 should be the correct value for an M5 rod, as the motor takes 3200 steps per rotation and an M5 has a thread pitch of .8 mm per rotation (3200/.8 = 4000).  You shouldn't adjust this value as threaded rods don't really vary in pitch; I think you'd only need to do that with a threadless rod/nut.

^ that's correct. I don't know what I was thinking at 2 am when I suggested it :-). Looking back at the numbers. You might be within the margin of error for your dial indicator if the is any wobble in the mounting or even in the carriage.

SD3 w/ mods:

Well, I am about to admit defeat on this.  I have done everything I can think of to remedy this.  I am starting to think that maybe something happened to the motor in all of this as it is the only thing I haven't changed.  I have tried different nut holders (even created my own with three nuts super glued in it), I have printed a solid coupler to replace the flex coupler.  I am at my wits end on this.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I might try?  The hysterisis helps, but doesn't cure the problem and it causes the layers to look terrible.

No matter what I do, when the motor changes direction I lose .2 to .3 mm movement.  And over the next 3-4 layers the loss becomes less until about the fifth layer when the layer changes are the correct amount.

Anyone know what the part number for the z axis motor is?

FINALLY!!!!
I have my printer printing well.  And the biggest thing is I don't know what fixed it...
Unfortunately I abandoned you slop nut holder 2n2r5, I decided that it was to big a variable in the problem I was having in that the two nut holders needed to move around and thus that "looseness" could have allowed for vertical play.  I created my own which was simply something that would hold 3 m5 nuts vertically, two of which I glued into it.  I also printed my own coupler to eliminate any possible vertical play from the flex coupler.
After working with it all last night I gave up and let it sit most of the day.  When I came back to it tonight I printed a dual fan holder for the electronics and mounted it.  I started messing around with the hysterisis setting and unlike yesterday, the prints were coming out great after the first few layers.  I kept adjusting the hysterisis until I found that a setting of .12 gave virtually perfect prints.  While there is still a bit of banding every once in awhile (visually almost undetectable) I think this might be the nozzle rather than the z axis.  Luckily I have an E3D on the way.
Anyway, thanks for all the input 2n2r5 and sorry I must report your slop nut wouldn't work for me.
I am just glad I am printing again.

I'm sorry to hear the slopnut didn't work for you. I should put in the instructions that you should put all the components together outside the machine. Then you can double check to make sure the heights of everything will match up. I am glad you got everything working though. Make sure you post some pictures.

SD3 w/ mods:

Anyone have a link to a decent M5 rod for the SD3? Ordered my 5mm x 5mm flex coupling. Need to track down a rod. Are the ones at the hardware store sufficient?

If you are in the US try a fastenal or posners. Any M5 will be fine. If your get stainless though, an argument could be made that it won't wear as fast and you won't suffer from additional backlash down the road.

SD3 w/ mods: