Re: Fix z-banding w/ no backlash- "Slop Nut" (Level 2 techie - Consumer )

Hope this helps anyone that is trying to get these screws off. I feel like IKEA. I just wish I could add the hex key also.

Post's attachments

m3_tool.skp 24.68 kb, 10 downloads since 2013-06-21 

m3_tool.stl 53.36 kb, 66 downloads since 2013-06-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

adrian wrote:

You've determined this from having made how many test prints and mods to your printer and examining its construction first hand through operation?

Seriously dude... roll

I have determined this from experience with machining on lathes an and mills for 20 years.

Seriously dude, learn some knowledge of precision before you slam it.

(oh and I am not your dude)

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

53 (edited by adrian 2013-06-21 01:15:04)

Downeasta wrote:

I have determined this from experience with machining on lathes an and mills for 20 years.

Seriously dude, learn some knowledge of precision before you slam it.

(oh and I am not your dude)

Well use that precision experience to stop, read back through how much of your 'advice' has been actually accurate across numerous threads and maybe think about it...

I tell you what, I will stop post here as you feel your above learning from some one who was born before you and you havent learned how to be polite to people.

Terrible forum that has rude members like Adrian.

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

55 (edited by adrian 2013-06-21 01:36:42)

Downeasta wrote:

I tell you what, I will stop post here as you feel your above learning from some one who was born before you and you havent learned how to be polite to people.

Lol.. yes.. thats what it is.. I'm Ageist... ROFL... nothing at all to do with the complete lack of veracity in nearly all your advice.

Downeasta wrote:

Terrible forum that has rude members like Adrian.

I know! Don't have to tell me about it - just look at how people go into other peoples Model Presentation threads and say to people who they don't know things like in http://www.soliforum.com/post/26631/#p26631:

Downeasta wrote:

LOL I gather your single.

C'mon gents, let that be the end of it.

One of the things I like about this forum is the complete lack of flame wars. Let's keep it that way.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:101308

I updated the thingiverse page to house all options in customizer. Just pick what you want and download it. Also, has the 3mm removal tool.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

58 (edited by saymo606 2013-06-21 11:35:06)

Nice 2n2r5, I'll print this out shortly and have a go and compare with what I have already. wont be in the next day or so though as my printer is pretty much tied up for at least a week ...

I got my printer last november and have pretty much been on these boards every day since... trying to learn and improve.

However, I'm at the point that my printer is running as sweet as it can and I dont need nor want to strip it down to upgrade... the prints truly are amazing now and that - for me at least - is in the main down to tealvinces m3 drive rod upgrade.. AND lawsy, danny, rincewind, ian johnson tim elmore etc etc etc...  but not only these guys also latterly to EVERYONE such as yourself 2n , adrian etc...many thanks for all you guys efforts... youve helped turn a poor piece of equipment into somethign that is creating quality prints,,,, I now no longer need to live my life on these boards... smile

(and I agree with lawsy...there are many times I want to shout at someone (jeffreysanders anyone lol ) but refrained because in general its a real good bunch here and i dont want to stoop to others crass levels...)

as said, I'll get to this as soon as  I can and thanks again guys smile

happy weekend all!!

saymo606 wrote:

(and I agree with lawsy...there are many times I want to shout at someone (jeffreysanders anyone lol ) but refrained because in general its a real good bunch here and i dont want to stoop to others crass levels...)

happy weekend all!!

Apologies to all for lowering the tone through me reacting to my immediate thoughts rather than being diplomatic

Nice work on the customizer 2n2r5, you've clearly got the hang of it since you did the Magic Wallet big_smile Alas, being printer-specific, I suspect this one wont get a 'Feature' out of it sad

60 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-21 20:18:43)

adrian wrote:
saymo606 wrote:

happy weekend all!!

Apologies to all for lowering the tone through me reacting to my immediate thoughts rather than being diplomatic

Nice work on the customizer 2n2r5, you've clearly got the hang of it since you did the Magic Wallet big_smile Alas, being printer-specific, I suspect this one wont get a 'Feature' out of it sad

This way was actually just the easiest way to have all files in one place. I am having trouble getting it to work actually. I think the program I used to convert the stl files didn't make them manifold. I think I just need to separate each component. Grrr.

EDIT:
So when you use http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:64709 or  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:64709 to convert STL files to scad, it's best to convert 1 component at a time. NOW my customizer works as it should. Never said that I was good at it. lol

SD3 w/ mods:

Just stumbled across this. Could be a winner in terms of having quick assembly and recreating the function of the slop nut.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33053

I've given up on the ball screw. I tuned out some of the wobble but not all of it, and I believe this is due to my dodgy machining to get the shaft down to 8mm being off centre. I'll post up a thread for others as some stage.

I've ordered some 10x2mm trapezoidal screw and a 5x10mm spider coupler and will post up a thread on this when it comes.

I thought this was a nice setup so I tried out you slopnut for original 5/16 with aluminum and it virtually eliminated my horizontal banding .3 -.1  Thanks for the design B-)

neo... did you install it with the boss nut still in place?

SD3 w/ mods:

2n2r5 wrote:

Yes I did.  I pressed a 5/16th nut into the box from your design and bolted it down at the four corners using the preexisting holes around the original boss nut.  I considered removing the original nut but figured I'd try it as is first.  At first I had the 4 small nuts too tight and froze everything but after a small adjustment everything worked nicely and I tightened down an additional nut on each of the 4 bolts to lock the each first nut in place.  My first run after the new mod was added was quite a bit smoother than stock I don't think you could get it much nicer.  I've only run a couple tests but I will post pictures when I get home from work today.

65 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-24 19:01:31)

neoblood3d wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

Yes I did.  I pressed a 5/16th nut into the box from your design and bolted it down at the four corners using the preexisting holes around the original boss nut.  I considered removing the original nut but figured I'd try it as is first.  At first I had the 4 small nuts too tight and froze everything but after a small adjustment everything worked nicely and I tightened down an additional nut on each of the 4 bolts to lock the each first nut in place.  My first run after the new mod was added was quite a bit smoother than stock I don't think you could get it much nicer.  I've only run a couple tests but I will post pictures when I get home from work today.

Please do! I am curious. The slop nut is functioning more as anti-backlash I think. That is actually kind of an interesting way to install it. Maybe that is the way to go with the 5/16" nut.

EDIT:
I just got my aluminum test bed in the mail. I put the 5/16 slop nut on it at quickly realized something. All the vertical play in the rod was gone. If you leave the the slop nut that 1/8 turn loose like it wants to be then put the cover over it, the cover pulls down on the slop not restricting the Z movement. It still seems able to wobble in the x-y but that is kinda what we want. The only thing that would make it better would be more and freer movement in the x-y.

I have a few under powered Y replacement motors that I might try to put the 5/16 rod back on to test it out. Neo, can you include some pictures of your setup also. It wouldn't be necessary for me to revert if you have already done this. Thanks smile

SD3 w/ mods:

66 (edited by neoblood3d 2013-06-24 21:59:10)

2n2r5 wrote:
neoblood3d wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

Please do! I am curious. The slop nut is functioning more as anti-backlash I think. That is actually kind of an interesting way to install it. Maybe that is the way to go with the 5/16" nut.

EDIT:
I just got my aluminum test bed in the mail. I put the 5/16 slop nut on it at quickly realized something. All the vertical play in the rod was gone. If you leave the the slop nut that 1/8 turn loose like it wants to be then put the cover over it, the cover pulls down on the slop not restricting the Z movement. It still seems able to wobble in the x-y but that is kinda what we want. The only thing that would make it better would be more and freer movement in the x-y.

I have a few under powered Y replacement motors that I might try to put the 5/16 rod back on to test it out. Neo, can you include some pictures of your setup also. It wouldn't be necessary for me to revert if you have already done this. Thanks smile

Absolutely.  I'd be happy to take pictures of my setup and videos if that's required.  Whatever helps out the cause I'm game.

Post's attachments

2 005.JPG
2 005.JPG 2.24 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

2 009.JPG
2 009.JPG 2.36 mb, 1 downloads since 2013-06-24 

2 011.JPG 2.48 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

i'm guessing the part on the left was the after? It looks good. Well done!

SD3 w/ mods:

2n2r5 wrote:

i'm guessing the part on the left was the after? It looks good. Well done!

Yea part on the left is the small test run.  For some reason the camera gives the impression of more texture than there is in reality.  In my hand the difference is obvious and puts stock parts to shame.

Thats great to hear.

SD3 w/ mods:

Not to beat this thread to death but here is a couple at .37 with very fast settings.

Post's attachments

4 003.JPG
4 003.JPG 763.11 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

4 004.JPG
4 004.JPG 774.22 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

71 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-26 14:33:10)

neoblood3d wrote:

Not to beat this thread to death but here is a couple at .37 with very fast settings.

Not bad, you still have a little banding going on but it looks like quite the improvement on the original. I am going to remove my boss nut on the aluminum bed and see if I get any improvement on this. Thanks for posting your results neo.

SD3 w/ mods:

neoblood3d wrote:

Hi,
Can you post a few photos of what your mod looks like?
Thanks,
Matt

73 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-27 13:53:20)

He did a couple posts back.

SD3 w/ mods:

It's been a week or two since I did this fix and I have to say, good work 2n2r5, I think the results speak for themselves. Ignore the edges, didn't realize I had slic3r doing random gen of starting points for each layer so it sort of screwed up the edges of the blocks. The last one is in PLA, been working on getting a good setup for switching back and forth between ABS and PLA.

Post's attachments

original at .1mm.JPG
original at .1mm.JPG 1.85 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

slop nut at .05mm.JPG
slop nut at .05mm.JPG 2.01 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

slop nut at .1mm.JPG
slop nut at .1mm.JPG 2.01 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

slop nut at .2mm.JPG
slop nut at .2mm.JPG 1.99 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

slop nut PLA at .1mm.JPG
slop nut PLA at .1mm.JPG 1.94 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

westin.williams wrote:

It's been a week or two since I did this fix and I have to say, good work 2n2r5, I think the results speak for themselves. Ignore the edges, didn't realize I had slic3r doing random gen of starting points for each layer so it sort of screwed up the edges of the blocks. The last one is in PLA, been working on getting a good setup for switching back and forth between ABS and PLA.

those are some impressive results! What size rod and which bed was this on? I am getting the same results as you on my wood bed with 5mm rod. Thanks for posting, I'm excited to see this working well for someone else too!

SD3 w/ mods: