Topic: Glass + filament adventure

Would anyone who has built a filastruder be up for an experiment?

A friend of mine is doing research on bioactive glass scaffolds, and we'd like to find out if it's possible to extrude PLA with ~20 micron glass particles mixed in.  I have the sacrificial printer built, but wanted to see if I could pay someone else to do a test run on the filament before building a filament extruder of my own.  Reasoning being if it is possible, we'd then need to recreate that filament, except with equipment and PLA suitable for surgery.

At $6/gram, that stuff is not going through the same machine as print grade PLA, so it's best to ask before I end up building two of these things.

Basically, the idea is we send you some glass from the lab and you mix it in with PLA and attempt to extrude it in whatever ratio you feel comfortable with.  It's not particularly important how much filament is made--a few meters will be fine (or a few meters at various concentrations for bonus points!).  We're just looking for proof of concept at this stage.

Let me know if you're interested.  We'll handle the glass, shipping, return shipping, and payment for your time :)

Re: Glass + filament adventure

Darn wish I had my Filastruder, I'd certainly be willing to try.

That really sounds intriguing, what would PLA suitable for surgery be. Could one autoclave regular PLA to sterilize it?

Ralph

what concentrations are you wanting to achieve?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

does it have to be in PLA?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

5 (edited by userexec 2013-05-20 23:02:40)

I'll have to ask my friend about the final concentrations he wants.  He's more of the glass expert (PhD student in materials), and I'm just the guy who builds things and programs.  Based on our conversations, though, he's looking for the vast majority of it to be plastic.  The benefits of scaffolds is that they have certain mechanical properties and hold certain shapes when inside the body, which the glass can't do on its own.

It does have to be PLA from what I understand.  The reason being that the scaffolds are not taken out of the body, but instead slowly dissolve leaving a matrix of glass.  Apparently the body has no complaints with dissolving PLA if it's pure enough.

It's really quite fascinating stuff.  Take diabetics with ulcers, for example.  They've shown that packing lithium borate nanofibers into the wound can cause them to heal up in relatively short periods of time.  Something about the glass stimulates growth of new tissue, blood vessels, bone etc.  I'm probably butchering the concept here, but those are the basics of it.

Probably the more glass in the scaffold the better, but at some point it loses its ability to bend and hold its form, and that's when there's too much glass.

6 (edited by userexec 2013-05-20 23:09:55)

Also I'm not sure about using the autoclave on print PLA, but it's a great idea.  I'll suggest it to him.  If he has some extra time, maybe he can run some samples and I can get back to you on how well it works.

He's been pretty ecstatic lately because nobody in the lab knew anything about 3D printing or that PLA had become widely available in cheap printing filaments.  They've been doing all of their experiments with medical grade PLA.  Turns out their results with print PLA are pretty indicative of what they'll be with the medical grade stuff, so he's been able to do tests lately that would have previously been wildly out of budget.

WOW,

The reason being that the scaffolds are not taken out of the body, but instead slowly dissolve leaving a matrix of glass.

Now this is cool, I didn't know PLA would dissolve in the body, that's great.

What does a scaffold look like? I am picturing a pretty small structure what precision would be required?

Ralph

I am tooling up for graphene as a reinforcement test and would be happy to extrude some glass filled PLA. I would also need to know the fill percentage that is needed to get a stable structure after disolving of the PLA. It could be too high to get a workable filament(too stiff) Let us know..

I would also need to know the fill percentage that is needed to get a stable structure after disolving of the PLA.

Basically, the idea is we send you some glass from the lab and you mix it in with PLA and attempt to extrude it in whatever ratio you feel comfortable with.

He doesn't know what the ratio might be!! It needs to stay flexible, to much glass would supposedly make it to rigid.

Now I am wondering how one would mix the glass (small beads or powder?) with the PLA in the hopper?

Seems like there would be a settling problem.

Ralph

What is going to keep the glass together once the PLA dissolves?  Does the PLA gradually get replaced by tissue which then holds the glass?

IanJohnson wrote:

What is going to keep the glass together once the PLA dissolves?  Does the PLA gradually get replaced by tissue which then holds the glass?

It depends on the purpose of the glass being added. Sometimes the additive promotes tissue growth, sometimes it is kind of like a long-release system for drug delivery, etc.

supraflyer wrote:

I am tooling up for graphene as a reinforcement test and would be happy to extrude some glass filled PLA.

Awesome!  I'll send over some contact information!

Ralphxyz wrote:

Now I am wondering how one would mix the glass (small beads or powder?) with the PLA in the hopper?

I was thinking maybe the PLA could be heated and mixed with the glass, then perhaps blended or something to bring it back down into pellet form.  This should ensure reasonably even distribution.  The glass particles will be no larger than .02 millimeters, so it should be of a powder consistency.

elmoret wrote:

Sometimes the additive promotes tissue growth, sometimes it is kind of like a long-release system for drug delivery, etc.

Yep.  It's downright fascinating.

There are so many possibilities for things you could embed in the stuff.

WOW!

See, why is stuff like this not the front page story, rather than the guns? Every day since I've got my printer I've read about something absolutely mind blowing like this that you can do with 3D printers. Literally every day.

If the glass is 0.02mm, that's finer than 400mesh, I think. That would make it a really fine powder. Maybe the pellets could be softened and mixed with the powder so they get coated before going through the extruder. That should ensure a pretty even distribution of glass through the final filament.

14 (edited by userexec 2013-05-22 20:08:40)

Ralphxyz wrote:

What does a scaffold look like? I am picturing a pretty small structure what precision would be required?

They're tiny grids with lines about 200 microns wide at most.  My account is too new to post a picture, I think, but here's a shortened, mangled url to a picture of a few:  h ttp://goo.gl/m2YYE

As you can see, they're just begging to be 3D printed.

wouldn't the glass act like sandpaper causing metal contamination?

Ultimaker S3.

16 (edited by userexec 2013-05-22 20:52:59)

dubbsd wrote:

That's a good point.  The materials used in the final extruder, if filament can be made, may need to be pretty unusual or at least coated.  Same would go for the printer parts in this case.  This really is turning into quite the adventure.

Thanks for bringing that up.  I'll look into it.

dubbsd wrote:

I don't think 20 micron glass is going to break off pieces of metal 10x bigger than itself.

Plus, I'm working something that would solve that problem altogether. wink

elmoret wrote:

I don't think 20 micron glass is going to break off pieces of metal 10x bigger than itself.

Worst case scenario some of the parts could be made in ceramic.  I'm reading now about ceramic augers, so apparently there is some precedent to work from, and I could probably get access to a shop that works with it.

Sounds like an interesting project you've got going.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!

elmoret wrote:
dubbsd wrote:

It will quite happily grind off pieces of comparable size though, and that could add up to a sizable amount of contaminant. Silicate powder affixed to a surface (here a flowing polymer) is basically 400 grit sandpaper.

Could you extrude through a glass nozzle though? You can drill through glass, though it's not easy, and that could eliminate the trickiest part where contamination could occur. Glass could handle extrusion temperatures as long as the ramp up and down is slow enough.

the end result is the bridge would have to be sterile to be used in the body and any kind of oxidation be it iron or galvanize would be a foreign body and cause problems with infection.  I think the auger, Barrel & nozzle would need to be a high grade stainless.

Ultimaker S3.

I doubt very much that they're going to put filament made on a $200 extruder, regardless of the barrel material, into the human body. The FDA will laugh that one out of the building!

This is meant for one-off prototypes and lab research, before paying a company megabucks for medical-grade stuff. For one off-prototypes, it'd work fine.

elmoret wrote:

I doubt very much that they're going to put filament made on a $200 extruder, regardless of the barrel material, into the human body. The FDA will laugh that one out of the building!

This is meant for one-off prototypes and lab research, before paying a company megabucks for medical-grade stuff. For one off-prototypes, it'd work fine.

That's correct for this stage.  In fact, the glass we're intending to use for this test batch of filament is just your standard, run of the mill stuff you'd find in any bottle.  This is mostly to show that 3D printing is capable of making a scaffold at a tiny fraction of the current cost and piquing a bit of curiosity in it.  The lab spends a ton making and researching these things, and we're thinking the people who write the checks might be as fascinated as we are.  At that point, getting the right machines built becomes a little easier, as then this wouldn't just be out-of-pocket, on-the-side inquiry anymore.

elmoret wrote:
dubbsd wrote:

WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON?!?!

Quit teasing us!

Based on my experiments mixing plastic beads with powder directly in the filastruder hopper, the mix ratio will not be precise at all. As the first amount of plastic pushes through, it will have a tiny portion of powder on it - and all of that will be on the outside. As more plastic pushes through, more of the powder will be embedded in it, but again, it will mainly coat the outside, with solid globs of unmixed plastic inside of the filament. Not all of the powder will be used up in that initial run - it will contaminate the filastruder for a long time.

It's going to work better to mix the PLA and the glass chemically, and then to run the resulting plastic through the filastruder. This will create a more uniform mixture. An example of a process to mix plastic with a filler is described in the paper, "A Simple, Low-Cost Conductive Composite Material for 3D Printing of Electronic Sensors."  Google for it, it's available online. This silly forum won't let me link it.

In that paper they dissolve PCL (polycaprolactone) in DCM (dichloromethane.) PLA is also soluble in DCM, although using DCM on something that is supposed to dissolve inside of someone's body would probably cause the FDA some consternation. But we're talking proof of concept here, right?

One thing to consider if you're going to stick with a thermal based mixing approach would be to use ecorene, which is a powdered form of PLA. Using that as an input should help get a more even distribution of filler/plastic.

Lee wrote:

An example of a process to mix plastic with a filler is described in the paper, "A Simple, Low-Cost Conductive Composite Material for 3D Printing of Electronic Sensors."

This is extremely helpful.  Many thanks.  Last night we discussed whether we should use a chemical method or just heat the plastic, mix the glass in, and then chop the plastic back down to pellets.  This should provide some needed insight.

I think we've decided on testing three concentrations, each pre-mixed in a different color of PLA.  We're hoping the different colors will make it easier to tell where the filaments need to be cut and which parts we should be testing.  We'll package up about 20-30 meters worth of each type, though we really only need about 3-4 meters of whichever ones extrude decently.  That should be enough to do whatever tests are needed and print a ton of scaffolds.