Re: Poor Man's Anti-Backlash Nut - No Assembly Required

spapadim wrote:
gettingbored wrote:

I'm not sure why my Z rod seems shorter than other peoples.

Actually, I was wondering why the rod is longer than it absolutely needs to be. How recently did you get printer? Mine was first batch with new platform, I think (May-ish). Perhaps now that SD switched to the new platform for good, they've made all other parts match (and if that's the case, I should probably post a caveat on that thingiverse page).

It's a "Solidoodle Rev 1.3C"
Not sure if that helps. I believe we got it around the beginning of April... but I'm not positive.

I've noticed some substantial banding with my prints, saw this and tried it out. Unfortunately it appears to have not changed my banding at all, my before and after prints look identical. Any idea why this is?

Full disclosure - I am way new to 3d printing, I haven't tried any of the other banding fixes because I was afraid I would damage my machine or fail to get it back together correctly.  Also, I received my printer back in November if that makes any difference.

The regular banding that is caused by threaded rod that has varying in TPI can be somewhat corrected/averaged by the well nut.... however some of the threaded rods are bored out of center basically causing a change of 'perimeter speed' at the threads which the well nut can not compensate for.... Here is a thread Adrian made about the offset ---> http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2662/onl … illing-15/

The well nut solution worked great for addressing my banding issues! Thanks for the suggestion. I had a bunch of solutions in different tabs on this forum, but this one was the cheapest, quickest, and easiest, so I tried it first. It worked really well.

One suggestion would be to fix the image links in the first post, I had trouble figuring out what a well nut actually was when I was at Home Depot. Luckily I eventually found that link to Lowes farther down the page and picked one up there.

JoeS wrote:

One suggestion would be to fix the image links in the first post, I had trouble figuring out what a well nut actually was when I was at Home Depot. Luckily I eventually found that link to Lowes farther down the page and picked one up there.

I hadn't visited this thread in a while, and the domain I was hosting the images on, is no longer available.

Anyway, I uploaded and reconnected the original images to the thread.

Cheers

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Here is a solution that I'm going to be testing out tonight that is the same basic principle as the well nut. The only difference is that it will be about half the height of the well nut.

I'll be using a 3/8 x 7/8 x 1/16 rubber washer against the bed with a 5/16-18 Keps Nut tightened down onto it. The toothed washer on the nut should prevent it from rotating against the rubber washer, and the rubber washer should grip the bed well enough to not slip.

http://www.apexfasteners.com/fasteners/images/External_Tooth_Locknut_Keps_Nut.jpg

Ideally, I would have liked to use a serrated flange lock nut, but they didn't have any at Lowes.

http://www.apexfasteners.com/fasteners/images/Serrated_Flange_Locknut_2.jpg

Solidoodle Workbench Apprentice
M5 replacement z-axis rod, PEI bed

chancrescolex wrote:

Here is a solution that I'm going to be testing out tonight that is the same basic principle as the well nut. The only difference is that it will be about half the height of the well nut.

I'll be using a 3/8 x 7/8 x 1/16 rubber washer against the bed with a 5/16-18 Keps Nut tightened down onto it. The toothed washer on the nut should prevent it from rotating against the rubber washer, and the rubber washer should grip the bed well enough to not slip.

http://www.apexfasteners.com/fasteners/images/External_Tooth_Locknut_Keps_Nut.jpg

Ideally, I would have liked to use a serrated flange lock nut, but they didn't have any at Lowes.

http://www.apexfasteners.com/fasteners/images/Serrated_Flange_Locknut_2.jpg

If you're talking about a 1/16" thick washer, as the compression zone, that's not going to do anything for you. 

The well nut has a thread piece inside it, but most of the length of it is just a rubber tube that is flexible and compressible.  It's that compression in the rubber that you're looking for.  One end presses against the bed pushing it down, the other end (which has the thread piece pushes upward.  So it's like having to nuts with a spring between them.  The pressure in both directions takes up al the vertical play/slop.

You want something that gives you some control over the compression.  You don't want it too loose or you get vertical play/slop, and you don't want it too tight, which puts so much pressure/friction that the metal threads of the rod and the nuts would bind, or wear out prematurely.

Also, once adjusted to the desired compression level, the nut shouldn't be allowed to rotate.

In your case, it might work, if your "washer" was thicker and more compressible.  Perhaps a piece of rubber tubing.  And trust me when I tell you that the nut will rotate.  Little by little, but it will.  Your best bet is to come up with some kind of block or pin or something that you can put between those sprockets, to prevent rotation.

58 (edited by chancrescolex 2015-04-29 16:13:49)

pirvan wrote:

If you're talking about a 1/16" thick washer, as the compression zone, that's not going to do anything for you. 

The well nut has a thread piece inside it, but most of the length of it is just a rubber tube that is flexible and compressible.  It's that compression in the rubber that you're looking for.  One end presses against the bed pushing it down, the other end (which has the thread piece pushes upward.  So it's like having to nuts with a spring between them.  The pressure in both directions takes up al the vertical play/slop.

You want something that gives you some control over the compression.  You don't want it too loose or you get vertical play/slop, and you don't want it too tight, which puts so much pressure/friction that the metal threads of the rod and the nuts would bind, or wear out prematurely.

Also, once adjusted to the desired compression level, the nut shouldn't be allowed to rotate.

In your case, it might work, if your "washer" was thicker and more compressible.  Perhaps a piece of rubber tubing.  And trust me when I tell you that the nut will rotate.  Little by little, but it will.  Your best bet is to come up with some kind of block or pin or something that you can put between those sprockets, to prevent rotation.

From your pictures it looks like you're using your well nut upside-down, which means that it's only compressing a small amount of the rubber. I'm sure the thickness is comparable to my 1/16" washer (the thickness actually seemed closer to 1/8"). I tried it out last night and it worked great. Removed most of the banding I was getting. I do intend to design/print some sort of bracket that will prevent the nut from rotating. Unfortunately all the ones I've seen are not compatible with the workbench apprentice bed because it doesn't have the 4 screw holes.

I replaced my anti-backlash solution with the same well nut you used, except not upside-down like you have pictured. The banding came back. I think it has to do with my z rod being super bent. I'm just going to replace it with an M5 rod.

chancrescolex wrote:

I replaced my anti-backlash solution with the same well nut you used, except not upside-down like you have pictured. The banding came back. I think it has to do with my z rod being super bent. I'm just going to replace it with an M5 rod.

The M5 rod should make a big difference to wobble, and allow for genuine metric layer heights haha.
Good luck with the modification, let us know if you have any trouble!

Talking about backlash in z, you can quite easily compensate for it in software without patching Marlin at all. The z axis only changes direction once during a print: when homing just before starting. My latest solution is to measure the backlash with a dial gauge, and then compensate in the start-gcode just before printing, like so:

G28 Z ; home Z
G1 Z0.23 F450 ; eat up the backlash
G92 Z0 ; reset z height to 0
;... print...

(yes, 0.23mm is enormous, have to investigate the motor bearings/mountings a bit more...)

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

Ha, that's clever. I bet using Z-offset in slicer would be a just ever so slightly easier way to do that.

62 (edited by pirvan 2015-05-05 04:08:53)

grob wrote:

...The z axis only changes direction once during a print: when homing just before starting.

Don't you ever use Z lift during retraction?  If not, you should look into it.

It can be very helpful in certain circumstances, but it assumes you can achieve accurate repeatability from your Z axis.

grob wrote:
chancrescolex wrote:

The M5 rod should make a big difference to wobble, and allow for genuine metric layer heights haha.
Good luck with the modification, let us know if you have any trouble!

Talking about backlash in z, you can quite easily compensate for it in software without patching Marlin at all. The z axis only changes direction once during a print: when homing just before starting. My latest solution is to measure the backlash with a dial gauge, and then compensate in the start-gcode just before printing, like so:

G28 Z ; home Z
G1 Z0.23 F450 ; eat up the backlash
G92 Z0 ; reset z height to 0
;... print...

(yes, 0.23mm is enormous, have to investigate the motor bearings/mountings a bit more...)

I think this only works if you have a lot of friction on your Z axis to keep the threaded rod contacting the bottom face of the nut thread.  Otherwise, gravity will cause the bed&nut to drift back down and rest on the opposite face again.

Hehe thanks for the excellent points... I got skool'd about 3 times over here!

TickTock wrote:

I think this only works if you have a lot of friction on your Z axis to keep the threaded rod contacting the bottom face of the nut thread.  Otherwise, gravity will cause the bed&nut to drift back down and rest on the opposite face again.

Good point, I'll keep an eye out - hadn't considered drift over a long space of time / including vibration from printing. Could cause issues if the print effectively stretches out...

jagowilson wrote:

Ha, that's clever. I bet using Z-offset in slicer would be a just ever so slightly easier way to do that.

Hahaha so true. Looks like to my mind I find the z-offset setting more confusing than gcoding it, but yes. smile  (maybe this is the same reason I struggle with arduino but get along ok with regular AVR/GCC, for example).

pirvan wrote:

Don't you ever use Z lift during retraction?  If not, you should look into it.
It can be very helpful in certain circumstances, but it assumes you can achieve accurate repeatability from your Z axis.

I read "BRO, DO YOU EVEN Z-LIFT?" tongue

With a z-axis this troubled, I haven't been brave enough. Makes a good argument to ensure mechanical repeatability.

Just thinking about this though, if the z-lift always brings the bed towards the nozzle before each layer, then wouldn't consistent backlash in the drive (like I seem to be getting) be irrelevant? I'd just need to increase z-lift distance to compensate (if that really is a critical parameter!). Turning on z-lift would negate the need for compensation at the start too. Hmmm. I shall experiment some more...

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

hi

I'm french, and obvioulsy in live in france and cannot find one of those? can anybody help me,  send one to me?

thanks. (I will pay for obviously)

sigiel wrote:

hi

I'm french, and obvioulsy in live in france and cannot find one of those? can anybody help me,  send one to me?

thanks. (I will pay for obviously)

have you searched eBay? many sellers will ship world wide. thing is, it would be cheaper for you to convert to a metric rod than it would be for me to ship you a single wellnut, most likely.

67 (edited by metaldrgn 2015-07-22 19:08:07)

Here's my solution which is working incredibly well:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:786086

You need to upgrade to an m5 rod first which should eliminate the wobble (if you get a decent quality rod).  It significantly reduces backlash. You just need a flared 8mm nut for the top and another one (I used a 10mm) for the bottom.

thanks,

I did a serach on ebay, and found one in uk, but i don't know witch one to take

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M … 3386fc5b8e

can you point the one please

as for changing the rod, i'm a tiny bit overwhelm at doing it, i did change the carriage and the hot end and it definitely challenged my skill, and I'm gonna have to do it all again, so I rather not change it now.

if i change it I rather have something like this bed... ;°

http://bigbox-3d.com/features

overkill much  but I really like the idea...

I would just ditch the 5/16"s rod and upgrade to an M5. You need at least 210mm of it. The well nuts are a bandaid fix and you'll still see the problem.

70 (edited by jagowilson 2015-07-27 18:27:49)

metaldrgn wrote:

I would just ditch the 5/16"s rod and upgrade to an M5. You need at least 210mm of it. The well nuts are a bandaid fix and you'll still see the problem.

not true if your rod is straight. if your rod is bent obviously the wellnut will not help because the platform will flop around as the screw turns. it's amazing how bent the Z screw can be without binding.

jagowilson wrote:
metaldrgn wrote:

not true if your rod is straight. if your rod is bent obviously the wellnut will not help because the platform will flop around as the screw turns. it's amazing how bent the Z screw can be without binding.

True but from what I read it seems most if not all stock rods were deformed. Was yours?

my rod is just fine :°

seriously, i don't  have a problem, the z rod is fine, it's just one of those mods,I do just to make sure.

so wich one should i take?

i 'm metric base, imperial does not speak to me...

sigiel wrote:

my rod is just fine :°

seriously, i don't  have a problem, the z rod is fine, it's just one of those mods,I do just to make sure.

so wich one should i take?

i 'm metric base, imperial does not speak to me...

Imperial isn't hard to figure out unless you just want to swap the rod out. Search it on Google. I believe it's a 5/16-18