26 (edited by tick72 2013-05-14 14:19:14)

Re: working gun made with 3D printer

SykoDJ wrote:

i think the whole uproar is stupid you need to have some brains to use a 3d printer first off, secondly its a single shot gun its like a more powerful sling shot

exactly ive seen people shoot one 22 shot off threw it, never saw the impact, probably just bounces off the target lmao..

people can do way more harm building pressure cooker bombs, or driving a stolen car into a crowd of people.. i wish people would stop talking about 3d printer slingshots, faking annoying.

It was a honey pot, I'm sure of it.

I edit my posts a lot.

RavensCrest wrote:

some retards bought that printed gun on euro train...

how did that metal bullet passed metal detector?

Brass cartridge, lead bullet, Non ferrous or magnetic.

29 (edited by iowajames 2013-05-19 05:43:52)

Ecarots wrote:
RavensCrest wrote:

Metal detectors pick up all sorts of metals, not just magnetic metals. It works on a radio wave field being disrupted, not on magnetism.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

iowajames wrote:
Ecarots wrote:
RavensCrest wrote:

Metal detectors pick up all sorts of metals, not just magnetic metals. It works on a radio wave field being disrupted, not on magnetism.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5339827_ai … -work.html

Radio Waves

The way these large, walk-through metal detectors work is fairly simple. One of the walls of the box sends radio waves to the other side, which are then returned. Radio waves will not pass through metal objects, so if the radio waves hit any metal on a person, the waves will be bounce back sooner than the others. The time it takes for the radio waves to travel the full length of the box is set in the machine, so that if any radio waves are bounced back sooner, the alarm in the metal detector is set off.

Adjustments

Most airport metal detectors, though, don't catch all the metal that passes through them. This is because the sensitivity of the metal detector has to be toned down slightly. Otherwise, people with metal fillings in their teeth, metal rivets in their jeans and metal zippers would all set off the alarms. However, this also brings down the effectiveness of the metal detectors. While smaller, metal items may not be detected, the settings are always set high enough that most items considered dangerous will set off the alarm.

I have to admire the courage of their convictions shown by the guys publishing these plans. It's one thing to say that the people have the right to weaponry to be able to defend themselves, but publishing these plans is giving the same power to individuals worldwide. I would have though the idea of providing a new source of guns to individuals in places in conflict with their own nations would have changed their opinions on making such things free for all.

iowajames wrote:
Ecarots wrote:
RavensCrest wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. Without rifling the designs I saw are a "belly gun" for use up close and personal. I wouldn't want to try to rely on it for anything over arms length ranges. Even 2" barrel concealables are rifled but we don't count on them for more than 30 feet. In the context of up close weapons that are not detectable the ceramic and plastic combat knives being currently made fir the bill and can be just as lethal.

33 (edited by iowajames 2013-05-29 13:40:30)

Ecarots wrote:
iowajames wrote:
Ecarots wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. Without rifling the designs I saw are a "belly gun" for use up close and personal. I wouldn't want to try to rely on it for anything over arms length ranges. Even 2" barrel concealables are rifled but we don't count on them for more than 30 feet. In the context of up close weapons that are not detectable the ceramic and plastic combat knives being currently made fir the bill and can be just as lethal.

A wooden flat band slingshot with a smooth rock is more deadly at 30= feet than a printed gun & undetectable by anything but a pat down or x-ray.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

iowajames wrote:
Ecarots wrote:
iowajames wrote:

A wooden flat band slingshot with a smooth rock is more deadly at 30= feet than a printed gun & undetectable by anything but a pat down or x-ray.

It's all about perception.  While what you say is true, people will be more afraid of the gun than the slingshot and I would guess less likely to try to take it from you.

justsomeguy wrote:

It's all about perception.  While what you say is true, people will be more afraid of the gun than the slingshot and I would guess less likely to try to take it from you.

with that logic might as well just get a bb gun, least that would actually work.

Airsoft is the way to go !!!

Sadly, that gun is it more functional as a assassin's tool.  Its not something an average criminal would use to rob a gas station.

thunderboltcuter wrote:

Sadly, that gun is it more functional as a assassin's tool.  Its not something an average criminal would use to rob a gas station.

Actually I think an assassin needs a reliable weapon not some cutting edge experimental may work sometimes device....

They are trying to stop printing of firearm components.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/27/ … -printing/

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

“printing other, non-firearm models is of course still possible.”
...But it is now really really difficult, because your model of a sailboat looks just like a receiver so you can't print it.

This is even stupider than when the Dept. of Homeland Security wanted to remove the Liberator files from the internet.

Or the trigger for your Dewalt Drill that you are trying to replace looks to much like a gun component.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

42 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-06-28 17:00:45)

"Instead, the company announced, it has created “smart software” that “upon opening a 3D file… scans the model and tries to match its characteristics with the characteristics of a firearm. If certain features align, the software will not allow the user to view and print the model."

I think people will just start sharing the G-code instead of the stl's which should get around this...

THEY TOOK OUR GUNS!!!

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

I'm sure people can design a non-traditional styled firearm to get around it.  They could also just not update to the newest software smile

44 (edited by ronsii 2013-06-29 01:53:43)

There are also plenty of people sending certain parts off to places like emachineshop and others that when assembled these ten pieces form a thing-a-ma-bob that can be fitted to another thing that uses brass containers that propel a cylindrical shaped thing well over 2000 feet per second. wink

The software that supposedly stops 3d printed guns is a joke. Unless it is using a huge amount of system memory, it will be looking for certain characteristics, which can be avoided by rotating the part. Or cutting it up. Or putting extra stuff on it to be cut or drilled later. If they get too specific, anyone who reverse engineers the software will find a complete collection of the Defcad Megapack, and even that would not stop it.

There is a thread about getting around this, and the only way to stop printed guns would be to stop printing ANYTHING.

SD2 w/ Heated bed. Mods: E3D MK5, Lawsy MKV, Glass Bed, printed filament stand

^^ X100

Makes you wonder what kinda of *extras* micro$oft put in to help support 3d printing in the new windows???  especially now that they and some others have partnered with the NSA... Hmmmmm

what about people printing toys or cos play pieces?

Manx wrote:

what about people printing toys or cos play pieces?

As long as they use the Orange ABS it'll allow it wink

Guys - To thwart NSA and Microsoft in 3D printing.  Just use Linux and open source tools.  Then just build the system from source and they never can stop you from printing ANYTHING.  If you want to print something that someone does not like it does not take a lot of thought to solve the problem.  It will annoy them something terrible.  What fun.

Just a Thought.

bteeter wrote:

Guys - To thwart NSA and Microsoft in 3D printing.  Just use Linux and open source tools.  Then just build the system from source and they never can stop you from printing ANYTHING.  If you want to print something that someone does not like it does not take a lot of thought to solve the problem.  It will annoy them something terrible.  What fun.

Just a Thought.

+1++

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake