Topic: Getting ABS to stick to the printbed

It seems that no matter what I tried, the only way I can get ABS to stick to the print bed is with hairspray.

I tried some of the things that Ian Johnson suggested (wider and hotter first layer, glass surface, etc).  Nothing stick unless there's hairspray on the surface.

I'd like to hear from you guy what gets you ABS to stick.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Getting ABS to stick to the printbed

I could barely get anything to stick to the kapton, so I went ot a glass bed and hairspray never looked back.  do most of my prints at 70c and have almost no issues with sticking.

I've had good sticking with my SD2, but it's was horrible with my SD3.  There must be some difference in the tape because it is a very slight color difference as well.  Nonetheless, I like using hairspray, but it has not been enough for me when printing solid ABS objects (still get curling up from the plate) so I use water soluble glue (cubify.com's cubestick).  When I have used hairspray, the glass plate gives me peace of mind that I am not spraying a sticky material that will build up in the printer (rods, bearings, etc.).  I lightly experimented with scoring the glass with a coarse sandpaper to roughen the surface, thinking that would increase the gripping power of the hairspray, but it hasn't.  However, I have no idea if other people have tried that and if they got similar or different results.

Cheers,
Fred
Fredrick C. Hagemeister
http://blog.richmond.edu/ti3d

I use acetone(nail polish) with a little scrap ABS dissolved in it. put about a teaspoon in the middle of the cold bed and wipe it around with a paper towel.   Never had a sticking problem with this. Only reapply when needed.

fredhag wrote:

I lightly experimented with scoring the glass with a coarse sandpaper to roughen the surface, thinking that would increase the gripping power of the hairspray, but it hasn't.

Hmmm...  Interesting,  I was just thinking about etching the glass (or buying etched glass).  But if that doesn't make any difference, there's no point.

I head read that the idea of using hair spray, is that it deposits a light, semi-rough layer to which the plastic can adhere, but it would seem that it's it's adhesive/sticky property that does the trick.

I head read that the idea of using hair spray, is that it deposits a light, semi-rough layer to which the plastic can adhere, but it would seem that it's it's adhesive/sticky property that does the trick.

Yes, you are right.  The hairspray gels and evens out onto the surface, and there is very little roughness to it after being heated.  And I think the reason that roughening the glass doesn't help is that the hairspray just fills the gaps, and still creates a smooth surface on top, so it makes really no difference.

The only time I've had problems with parts sticking to hairspray coated glass on my SD3 is when the Z-stop is set too low, or high depending on how you look at it. I was actually having trouble getting parts off the glass. Now I take the hot glass with the part on it and place it on a 3" X 4" block of aluminium that I had laying about. After a minute or two you can hear a cracking sound and the part actually breaks free from the glass.

TiM

op7ical wrote:

Yes, you are right.  The hairspray gels and evens out onto the surface, and there is very little roughness to it after being heated.  And I think the reason that roughening the glass doesn't help is that the hairspray just fills the gaps, and still creates a smooth surface on top, so it makes really no difference.

I was thinking of etching the glass so I wouldn't have to use hair spray.

mr_tim34 wrote:

The only time I've had problems with parts sticking to hairspray coated glass on my SD3 is when the Z-stop is set too low, or high depending on how you look at it. I was actually having trouble getting parts off the glass. Now I take the hot glass with the part on it and place it on a 3" X 4" block of aluminium that I had laying about. After a minute or two you can hear a cracking sound and the part actually breaks free from the glass.

TiM

But you're still using hairspray.  It seems to me that almost no one here can actually print without some kind of additive (hairspray, glue, acetone). 

Has anyone managed to print  stuff by using the stock (Kapton) surface and just heating the bed?  I mean printing something with more than a 4-5 layers.

10 (edited by op7ical 2013-05-05 18:45:48)

I was thinking of etching the glass so I wouldn't have to use hair spray.

This has been tried before, and it doesn't work, unfortunately.

But you're still using hairspray.  It seems to me that almost no one here can actually print without some kind of additive (hairspray, glue, acetone).
Has anyone managed to print  stuff by using the stock (Kapton) surface and just heating the bed?  I mean printing something with more than a 4-5 layers.

Yes, printing with stock Kapton works fine for some people.  This is what Solidoodle recommends.  Also, acetone is not an additive that you apply.  It is only used to clean the surface of oils, etc.  It has very high volatility, so it evaporates almost instantly.

Im using glass and hairspray at 100c and still have issues with sticking. I was wondering what hairspray works best? and also if there is anything else that may help.

12 (edited by pirvan 2013-05-05 21:10:23)

zacgibson21 wrote:

Im using glass and hairspray at 100c and still have issues with sticking. I was wondering what hairspray works best? and also if there is anything else that may help.

I 'm using the first bottle my wife had laying around, Ion Anti-Frizz Hard-to-Hold hair spray and it works quite well.  I also cleans up very easy with rubbing alcohol.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-spray/S … lt,pd.html

So far I've used it directly on the Kapton and it works well at 100°C, but I have to spray it on when the bed is relatively cold, and wait about 5 minutes before starting to heat the bed.  The models come off pretty easy once the printbed cools off.  I stick a credit card underneath and pop it off.

Oh, I also found that printing a 4-5mm brim around the model prevents the corners from lifting and curling up during long prints.

op7ical wrote:

Yes, printing with stock Kapton works fine for some people.  This is what Solidoodle recommends.  Also, acetone is not an additive that you apply.  It is only used to clean the surface of oils, etc.  It has very high volatility, so it evaporates almost instantly.

I tried that (wiping the bed with acetone)  but, for me, it didn't make any difference in keeping the print down.

14 (edited by mr_tim34 2013-05-05 22:19:04)

pirvan wrote:

you're still using hairspray.  It seems to me that almost no one here can actually print without some kind of additive (hairspray, glue, acetone). 

I don't generally, but it just so happens that I removed the glass to get my print off last night and was called away. I came back and went to start another print. I was surprised when the printer started printing in the air, what now I thought. Keep in mind it was about 1in the morning. I couldn't figure out how my z home had changed by about 2 mm. I reset it to .3mm and started a 4.5 hour 200 layer print. It finished up over night, this morning I sat down and said "what's this piece of glass doing on my desk?" Sure enough, I had reset the Z height and printed on the kapton. It worked, but I find the glass/hairspray combo to work well and is more reliable. The print came off the kapton quite easily, much more so than it would have come off the glass.
As for what kind, I bought the cheapest unscented brand that they had at the grocery store, Aquanet. I only reapply it every 8 or 9 prints and I tend to move the objects around on the print bed a bit to cover different areas of the bed as I print.

TiM

I tried that (wiping the bed with acetone)  but, for me, it didn't make any difference in keeping the print down.

Different people have different experiences.  In my case I agree, I didn't have much luck with kapton so I went to hairspray+glass.  But you will get the full spectrum of opinions on here.  For some, it works great, or they don't fully test it.  Some people swear by ABS glue, others say it doesn't work well at all.  The point is people should try a few options and stick with what works best for them.

I have seen some place on the web ( and have done so myself when out of kapton tape ) use of blue painters tape, It did work for me when I was desperate and waiting for my kapton roll to come. But I will say from experience with both the Kapton is better then the blue painters tape.

A friend of mine though went to an extreme and did on his glass sheet an acid etch surface and then rubs that down with acetone before a print, and that seems to work for him and I have wanted to try it, but have yet to do so.

We are left now with only one option...and that is without a single drop of rum....

17 (edited by adrian 2013-05-06 13:46:34)

Blue Painters Tape is most often used for PLA and not ABS and used on a "Cold" or "Warm" (60°C) Bed.

Theres also a post I did about a week ago showing the different impacts of the different bed options using a thermal camera. Glass+Hairspray is good, but the outright winner is a Ceramic Tile+Hairspray as the Tile holds heat better and also has a much larger and even heat foot print due to its greater thermal mass.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2230/the … ed-setups/

I couldn't find any hairspray, but the closest sticky thing I could find was a UHU glue stick which seems to have solved the stick issue... and cheap too :-)

A cheap thing of hairspray works wonders

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

20 (edited by joshhunsaker 2013-10-01 16:29:27)

Back when I had my heat box installed I was able to resolve sticking problems without having to use hairspray.  Now (because I thought the problem with the errors I was getting was due to the heat box causing the electronics to overheat) I ditched that and now just use hairspray on kapton at a bed temp of 75c.

I've realized the core problem with print curling is that the infill creates these lines connecting opposite sides of the printed perimeter.  After each layer of infill cools it basically "pulls" the extremities of the print in and this puts tremendous pressure on the bottom edges until they end up lifting off the print bed whether you have something that is holding it or not.  Using a heat box basically drastically reduces the effect of infill pulling on the perimeter by preventing such a high level of contraction due to cooling.

I think the degree of "differences" of opinion you see on forums about how well one print curling solution works vs. another is due to subtle variations in print settings and mechanical tolerances that creates a very very wide range of how each line/string/portion of infill actually bonds to the print perimeter.  Hence, the level of differences in suitability of each "hack".

Nice observation!

One strategy to combat curling due to infill is to model voids inside the solid areas of the print where possible.  Try to break up the infill in such a way that you can't draw a line through the infill from one side to the other without hitting a gap along the way.  Here is an example -

http://hackaday.com/2011/11/15/a-techni … 3d-prints/

I used to have a real problem with abs sticking and curling... the fix was
1. switch surface to plain old glass (no kapton, rarely use hair spray, if it needs extra stick i pour on some glue and spread it with a  wet paint brush then turn on the bed heat untill dry)
2. abs likes a really hot surface usually 110 or higher (as measured by the software ) 
3. a thick brim (like 15 25 mm )
and the problems went away...

but then the smell of abs started to give me headaches so ... PLA is what i use now
much happier with the results