Topic: Using the Filastruder

Let this be a running discussion on using the Filastruder. I apologize if anything has been ask before but maybe this will be a consolidation of questions.

My first question (of many I am sure) is how do you change medium? Say I want to go from ABS to PLA what do I need to do?
How long will it take? Should I have different dedicated nozzles or any dedicated parts for different medium?

And then about the hopper is there a .STL file?

And how about winder/reeler is one required? It seems as if Tim just lets the filament fall on the floor.

Speaking of which would it help to put the extruded filament into a bucket or a pan?
Would it help to have the bucket full of water?

Please have some common courtesy and if you make a reference furnish the link, I know we can Google it but really how long does it take to furnish a link?

Thanks,
Ralph

Re: Using the Filastruder

I know 57 pages is a lot to go through, but a lot of this was covered in the orginal thread.
Changing medium is not really recommended. Most people seem to be doing a seperate extruder for each. Though it would be possible, I feel it would be wasteful. The beta files are up for the hopper, Tim will release any updates in May. The winder is not required. Some people just feel like it would make things neater. Tim has stated that PLA comes out a little more consistently with the spooler. It would also keep filament off a potentialy dustly floor. People tried to use a 5 gallon bucket, but it didn't turn out well. From what I gathered anytime the filament changes direction against the natural tendency to twist it caused variations in diameter.
Just the info I have gathered from forum/kickstarter.

3 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-04-26 20:01:44)

Ralphxyz wrote:

Let this be a running discussion on using the Filastruder. I apologize if anything has been ask before but maybe this will be a consolidation of questions.

My first question (of many I am sure) is how do you change medium? Say I want to go from ABS to PLA what do I need to do?
How long will it take? Should I have different dedicated nozzles or any dedicated parts for different medium?

And how about winder/reeler is one required? It seems as if Tim just lets the filament fall on the floor.

Speaking of which would it help to put the extruded filament into a bucket or a pan?

Please have some common courtesy and if you make a reference furnish the link, I know we can Google it but really how long does it take to furnish a link?

Thanks,
Ralph

Please take the time to read this....

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/557/fila … -filament/

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Ralphxyz wrote:

Literally all of your questions have been answered in two stickies in this forum.

• Swapping materials is not trivial, especially if moving from a high temperature material to a lower one. ABS to PLA requires running until empty, pulling the nozzle, reaching in with needle nose pliers and getting all the ABS out. I'm planning on adding a hotend in the store, so you can just buy a nozzle/heater barrel/flange/auger and swap them if you want to swap material. Swapping from one color to the other is much easier - no need to pull any parts, just run until empty, then load in the new color. There will be a transitory period of about 20 minutes where the extrusion is a blend of the previous and current colors.

• There is an STL file for the hopper. It's in the Documentation thread, stickied at the top of this forum.

• Winder is definitely not required, especially with ABS. I let it fall on the floor, and can spool 1 pound up in about a minute using a drill.

• Filament will not fall into a bucket or pan, t is too stiff and will push back on the hot filament leaving the nozzle.

• Water is a bad idea, ABS is hygroscopic and will absorb the water, then turning to steam bubbles when you print with it..

Water is used in the industrial versions because they extrude so fast, the filament doesn't have time to cool before reaching the puller.  When the filament extrudes to the floor, it tends to lay in a circle or figure 8 with the nozzle at the center.  Anything that gets in the way of the filament tends to cause kinks or other problems at the nozzle so the space under the table itself should be clear, and table legs far enough away that the filament won't bump into them.  Also the distances Tim notes between the nozzle, guide, edge of board, etc are fairly critical to success.

Swapping materials is not trivial, especially if moving from a high temperature material to a lower one. ABS to PLA requires running until empty, pulling the nozzle, reaching in with needle nose pliers and getting all the ABS out

I am sure that is in the other sticky's but now it is a lot clearer. I had missed the "not trivial" part.

So can I get another extruder?

Ralph

Ralphxyz wrote:

So can I get another extruder?

You can get on the waitlist for one by emailing filastruder @ gmail dot com.

It might make more sense to just buy a second hotend, should be around $50. We'll be setting up our webstore for spare parts sometime in May.

How about if the bucket was on a turntable? You could regulate the turntable to the speed of the extruder.
With a fixed end (pulling) wouldn't it act like the spooler?

Ralph

The bucket would need to be bigger than the diameter of the coil that the filament wants to pile into.  Otherwise it just lands on the edge of the bucket and piles around on top of it.  You can't really force it to go where it doesn't want, or you inevitably get kinks at the nozzle.

Ralphxyz wrote:

You want me to go through 57 pages to find what will become "Frequently Asked Questions"?

Yes, if you want information on a project that hasn't shipped yet, you might have to read the thread in which the development was documented.

Honestly, it's a pretty good idea to read it.

The instructions have a FAQ. They haven't been released yet since nothing has shipped. Patience. smile

Ralphxyz wrote:

How about if the bucket was on a turntable? You could regulate the turntable to the speed of the extruder.
With a fixed end (pulling) wouldn't it act like the spooler?

Ralph

No, it wouldn't. The spooler doesn't actually pull. Again, this is covered in the sticky. That's why the sticky is a good read - lots of people have ideas that have already been tried.

From the closed thread:

I've tried to reply promptly to everyone

Nathan thank you so much for all of your replies, I do not know where you found the time. How did your finals go?

I have not received my QU-BD RPM yet so that is why I am not worried about when I'll get my Filastruder.

So I am just picturing things in my mind I have no actual experience with 3D printing to say nothing about extruding filament.

That said I do have a question:

What if one used a Peltier module instead of the fan to cool the filament?

Again thank you so much for your replies.

Ralph

For best results there should be as little contact with the filament as possible while extruding.   It might be worth using a peltier to chill the air going into the fan however.  The quicker the filament can cool as it comes out, the more stable it will.

Filament comes out at 175C. Ambient is 20C. Even if you could move the air temperature down to 0C (which would be an impressive peltier, one that draws more than the rest of the Filastruder), you'd only cool about 10% better. Not worth it in my opinion.

Hey Tim, do you have a 1.75mm drill bit or are you using a 1/16th" bit for your 1.75mm filament?

I saw this note in that great spread sheet you posted https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … iSmc#gid=0

Note 1: Using a nozzle/die drilled with 1/16" bit, 10 measurements minimum.

Ralph

Ralphxyz wrote:

Hey Tim, do you have a 1.75mm drill bit or are you using a 1/16th" bit for your 1.75mm filament?

I saw this note in that great spread sheet you posted https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … iSmc#gid=0

Note 1: Using a nozzle/die drilled with 1/16" bit, 10 measurements minimum.

Ralph

It is a 1/16" bit. When extruded, polymers exhibit die swell, so a 1/16"
(1.58mm) hole results in a ~1.75mm extrusion.

Hey Tim any idea when I might be receiving my Filastruder?

I have just been notified by Qu-Bd that I am #14 on the list to receive my RPM. They are supposedly assembling the first 10 so I might have in a couple of weeks well maybe end of July .

I imagine I am high on the list.

Ralph

Ralph: Questions about your particular order are best handled through Kickstarter messages.

You backed for a kit with an estimated delivery in July. We are on schedule to meet all promised dates.