Re: Filastruder Documentation and CAD/STL files

Viewed from the hotend, CW. Terminal with the red for is GND.

27 (edited by jesse 2013-05-25 23:01:32)

elmoret wrote:

Terminal with the red for is GND.

Is that standard?  It seems counter-intuitive given red and black wires.  Oh well.

jesse wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Terminal with the red for is GND.

Is that standard?  It seems counter-intuitive given red and black wires.

Depends which way you want the motor to turn. smile

29 (edited by jesse 2013-05-26 01:13:06)

Any tips for printing the electronics box?

jesse wrote:

Any tips for printing the electronics box?

20% infill, PLA if you have it to avoid warping, otherwise a hot heated bed and a warm build chamber.

Can you recommend any tools for keeping the filament straight and winding it?

jesse wrote:

Can you recommend any tools for keeping the filament straight and winding it?

Properly positioned, you only need the filament guide to keep it straight.

To wind it, a drill like in the video.

Do you know of a metal detector that can detect tiny pieces of metal in the filament?

A metal detector would be cool, if something that sensitive isn't really expensive.  I have clear ABS pellets that I bought from Ebay, and I like to run those first, because it is easy to look for contamination during the initial run.  They don't seem to be available anymore unfortunately, I wanted to get more.

Would it be ok to chop up the filament that has the bits of metal in it and send it through again?

Running the printer for 4 hours is going to use all the pellets that came with the kit.

jesse wrote:

Would it be ok to chop up the filament that has the bits of metal in it and send it through again?

Running the printer for 4 hours is going to use all the pellets that came with the kit.

You can, but it's not really going to clean anything out, only re-deposit debris.

I really included the 1lb so that people could clean out for "free". Otherwise, time to stock up on pellets!

Okie dokie. 

I've been using the sacrificial pellets to test out multi-color filament experimentation anyway. 

Will order more pellets.

Is there anything we can do before to pre-clean the extruder? Do you know where the contamination is coming from, is it just debris inside or is it the auger rubbing a bit at first until it wears in?

I was thinking of a getting a drill with some fine grit sand paper attached to a pole and running that inside the piping to clean anything up, then running a cloth with some cleaner through it. Think that would help?

That would probably make it worse, for two reasons.

First of all, we want the coefficient of friction to be high between the polymer and the barrel wall. Polishing the surface hurts that.

Second, it would only add more debris. I believe the majority of the debris comes from the initial cutting and grinding - even if you think it's clean, tiny particles are stuck to the inside wall of the nipple.

No way to use compressed air - either the small cans or a full size compressor?

rojer wrote:

No way to use compressed air - either the small cans or a full size compressor?

Definitely recommended. It still won't get everything out, though.

So Tim what diameter screw are "we" using?

The ID of 3/4" pipe is supposedly 3/4" what auger size are you using? I see on Amazon there are some 11/16th ship augers would that eliminate some contaminants.

Ralph

Ralphxyz wrote:

So Tim what diameter screw are "we" using?

The ID of 3/4" pipe is supposedly 3/4" what auger size are you using? I see on Amazon there are some 11/16th ship augers would that eliminate some contaminants.

Ralph

The ID of schedule 40 3/4" pipe is 0.824".

The Filastruder uses a schedule 40 1/2" pipe, which has a ID of 0.622". It also uses a 5/8" auger. 5/8" is 0.625". However, auger manufacturers all have a different idea of what 0.625" means. Some brands measure at 0.610", some at 0.570". Craziness!

Anyway, I'm 95% sure the debris comes from the cutting and grinding done on the barrel before assembly, not the auger itself. The edge velocities are so low, and melt pressures/side loading forces are so low, that I don't think significant wear is occurring during operation. It's not super easy to be completely sure it's cleaned before assembly, so I recommend 6-8 hours of running to flush out any contaminants. Even better if you have clear ABS on hand to use!

Hope that helps. I've gone round and round on this and have probably thought of most things, but am always open to suggestions!

Hey Tim
Can you turn the elect housing so that the top prints down. I tried to do it but I keep missing something and it won't export.
Thanks
Rodney

REdington wrote:

Hey Tim
Can you turn the elect housing so that the top prints down. I tried to do it but I keep missing something and it won't export.
Thanks
Rodney

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178 … sideup.stl

Thanks Tim
That worked
Rodney

Tim, any word on the enclosure? And will the new auger change anything, since it is shorter?

Nimikin wrote:

Tim, any word on the enclosure? And will the new auger change anything, since it is shorter?

Enclosure is up to OSP, not me. Their original plan was to release at the end of May. They're here on the forums if you want to shoot them a PM.

In the meantime, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:92815

Things will change a bit with the new auger. OSP's version will be new auger only. Drandolph's version is likely old auger only.

elmoret wrote:

Enclosure is up to OSP, not me. Their original plan was to release at the end of May. They're here on the forums if you want to shoot them a PM.

In the meantime, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:92815

Things will change a bit with the new auger. OSP's version will be new auger only. Drandolph's version is likely old auger only.

Thanks Tim, I'm not in too much of a hurry, since I'm a July kit, I just know we talked about the end of May earlier. I had seen the one on thingiverse. I'm actually thinking on a sheet metal box, since I won't have to finagle cnc time from the school.

Nimikin wrote:

I know we said that by the end of May we would release it. My plan is to release it once we start cranking them out for our June machines. We are still making tweaks to the enclosure and I don't want to release one that is not perfect. Sorry about the wait guys.