1 (edited by Ski52 2021-08-26 20:18:15)

Topic: Extruder Temp Drops

This is about a Creality Ender, not a 'Doodle, sorry but their forum is a maze...  I've had the 3Pro for ~18mo and have been very unhappy with it from the beginning.  I got it cause my old Solidoodle which I printed with for over 7 years finally gave up the ghost.  Anyway as a result of that, I use Repetier Host software including Slic3r, just can't warm up to Cura.  I've finally gotten a few descent prints, and today I went for another, but a completely new problem has surfaced.  Had the temps set to 191/60 in both the printer and Repetier.  As long as I let the printer idle, the temps stay, as soon as I start to print the temp quickly starts to drop, The printer screen still says 191,  Repetier drops til it hits ~184 then crashes the machine with a 'mintemp' error.  I don't know where to look.  No changes have been made to the machine or software.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanx - Ski

PS Still looking for someone to help with an SKR V1.3 board and Arduino - for the Doodle, or a reasonably cheap Printerboard.

Ender 3 Pro

Re: Extruder Temp Drops

Make sure the thermistor is tight and has not worked loose. Same for heat cartridge. While heating move heater wires around and see if temp changes. Is there a draft or open window. Are you running the layer fan higher than normal? When was the last time you ran an auto PID?

https://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

have to agree - spot on Carl

sounds very much like something is either loose or broken wires.

Check board connections as well.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  I'm trying to do all the things I was supposed to do last week.  It's been printing OK for about 1 1/2 hours.  I did all what you recommended.  Found no loose screws or broken wires, thermistor and heat element both tight in place.  Ohmed out, for continuity, the heater and thermistor wires - all OK.  Had to take the thing apart to check the MB connections - all OK.  The only difference is the PID results.  The new figures are about 25% higher that the old - all three.  They've been saved.  Still can't figure out why the Ender screen read 191 and the Repetier/computer read actual 191 -> 184 then crash...   
Gonna drag the 'doodle out and putz with the settings/arduino/config.h... who knows, maybe I'll get it working.
...not holding my breath - Thanx!!
Ski

Ender 3 Pro

Just got a communication error.  Machine froze after 23 1/2 hours into an 11 1/2 hour print.  had 43 minutes left to go. Repetier said originally - 11 1/2 hours that was at about 430 PM yesterday.  The actual print quality on the unfinished piece seems better than before,  I assume that's from the PID changes.  Now I need to work on making the support easier to remove.  Lemee see if I can go track down the commo error...

Ender 3 Pro

If you are printing over USB, I would not unless you are using a Pi and Octoprint. Print using an SDcard. So many of the Chines printers have issues talking to Windows and PC's many now say to not even use USB and only use and SDcard.

I thought of the same thing just about the same time you posted.  This printer was made essentially to print using Cura and an SD card, which I don't like either.  I like having the control that Repetier offers.  I may print something over the weekend.  I'm still pissed over wasting 24 hours and about 3 miles of filament.  I'll probably try again with the SD card.  I'll let ya know...

Ender 3 Pro

8 (edited by Tin Falcon 2021-09-07 22:21:07)

There is the option of octopi  as mentioned by Carl ,there is a new installer on the r pi web site that is easy to use.the bad news is apparently the creality printers can backfeed power to the r pi and damage the port. so you need to modify cables
I recently purchased a pi4 kit for around 80. and it hooked up flawless l to one of my printers. no not the ender 3 pro. i have.
Tom Salahander put together a nice video. I followed that an it seems to work . I have not printed with it yet.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Well, I believe I have other problems along with me not being able to produce an acceptable print.  I tried a test print ~1hr in length.  Got the same failure notice about 20 min in.  I am beginning to wonder if it's my old USB hub.  If I am charging one of my phones, the printer does not recognize anything until I unplug the phone.  Along with that, I periodically get an error - 'Samsung - the device is either unplugged or not responding', and the phone is not plugged in, don't get the error with the Apple Iphone.  The error may go deeper into my machine. It's an 8 year old HP 740 something that is still running the Windows version that it came with, used to be the wife's machine, I was stuck with the POS IMac.  I am getting dumb little faults, errors, etc.  The OS has constantly been upgraded but it's old.  HP will not allow you to format the drive.  So I bought another 2TB drive that I think I'll start over with, using the original as a backup until I'm satisfied with the new install...make sense? 
I hope to get started  on that venture soon, it will take some time,cuz along with the 2TB factory drive, I have 5 more TB's of krap to sort thru....
Sorry for being so long winded.

Ender 3 Pro

just for grins & giggles, have you tried not using the hub, but plugging directly into the PC?

would be a way of testing if it is the hub or something deeper.

also, have you manually changed the COM port number in device manager? that in itself might resolve some of the errors you are seeing

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Ski52 wrote:

Well, I believe I have other problems along with me not being able to produce an acceptable print.  I tried a test print ~1hr in length.  Got the same failure notice about 20 min in.  I am beginning to wonder if it's my old USB hub.  If I am charging one of my phones, the printer does not recognize anything until I unplug the phone.  Along with that, I periodically get an error - 'Samsung - the device is either unplugged or not responding', and the phone is not plugged in, don't get the error with the Apple Iphone.  The error may go deeper into my machine. It's an 8 year old HP 740 something that is still running the Windows version that it came with, used to be the wife's machine, I was stuck with the POS IMac.  I am getting dumb little faults, errors, etc.  The OS has constantly been upgraded but it's old.  HP will not allow you to format the drive.  So I bought another 2TB drive that I think I'll start over with, using the original as a backup until I'm satisfied with the new install...make sense? 
I hope to get started  on that venture soon, it will take some time,cuz along with the 2TB factory drive, I have 5 more TB's of krap to sort thru....
Sorry for being so long winded.

It's really not good to run a printer from a hub. Most even tell you not to in the manual. But to also charge from a hub at the same time is just asking for trouble. Modern phones require too much current to charge from a PC or laptop usb port. You can but it will be slow and puts a major load on the port.

You really should have a dedicated charger. With that said your symptoms point to a hub that just can't handle the printer and charging. If you must use a hub then get a powered hub so the charging is actually handle by a wall adapter.

It's a powered hub, so the machine draw-down should be nil.  Also until the last couple of weeks, the whole mess has worked fine for 8+ years so cable wear could be a problem.  There are 2 other printers plugged into the same port that offer no problems at all - an old HP B/W laser and a no-name laser burner.  I think I'll try Heartless's suggestion, but that requires me to get on the floor, behind a few things.  At my age, getting down on the floor aint the problem, it's getting back up....
The saga continues

Ender 3 Pro

Ski52 wrote:

I think I'll try Heartless's suggestion, but that requires me to get on the floor, behind a few things.  At my age, getting down on the floor aint the problem, it's getting back up....
The saga continues

I hear ya on the getting back up part, LOL

and powered hub ports can go south as well.. not sure how many slots yours has, but you could try a different slot...

I have a 10 port hub i use to run keyboard, mouse, and a few other things... one or two of those 10 ports is bad - they just dont work anymore.

If I am charging one of my phones, the printer does not recognize anything until I unplug the phone.  Along with that, I periodically get an error - 'Samsung - the device is either unplugged or not responding', and the phone is not plugged in

Definitely sounds like charging the phone on the same machine is causing issues.
Like others mentioned not best practice.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Running a phone and a printer off the same hub has never caused probs before.  I have printed from two phones to two printers thru the existing hub at the same time more than once before with no problems besides, the only thing plugged into the hub is the 3D printer.
I believe my problems are with the printer alone.   If I can post the short vid I just took, you can see the temp going all over while it's printing, and printing from an SD card with no computer connected at all.

Well, so much for the video - started with 30 meg, then 15 meg and finally 6 meg - won't let me post it.  The temp jumps on the machine readout from 178 to 182 to 196 to 102, etc while it's printing.  It's set at 186C.  I have no idea where to look next.  The Ender forum is a joke.  May look for a new motherboard.  I don't think it's the thermistor cuz it maintains the heat setting til I print.  Same with the heating element, I assume it reads an actual temp and there is no element that can jump from 102 to 190 to 170+ instantaneously. 

I may try to contact the company, but I think that's a waste of time.

The BS continues...

Ender 3 Pro

Ski52 wrote:

Running a phone and a printer off the same hub has never caused probs before.  I have printed from two phones to two printers thru the existing hub at the same time more than once before with no problems besides, the only thing plugged into the hub is the 3D printer.
I believe my problems are with the printer alone.   If I can post the short vid I just took, you can see the temp going all over while it's printing, and printing from an SD card with no computer connected at all.

Well, so much for the video - started with 30 meg, then 15 meg and finally 6 meg - won't let me post it.  The temp jumps on the machine readout from 178 to 182 to 196 to 102, etc while it's printing.  It's set at 186C.  I have no idea where to look next.  The Ender forum is a joke.  May look for a new motherboard.  I don't think it's the thermistor cuz it maintains the heat setting til I print.  Same with the heating element, I assume it reads an actual temp and there is no element that can jump from 102 to 190 to 170+ instantaneously. 

I may try to contact the company, but I think that's a waste of time.

The BS continues...

I never saw if you tried a print from an SDcard or not? Did you and what was the result?

Yea I did mention it..

, and printing from an SD card with no computer connected at all.

Just to give it a try.
I also changed the com port settings on the computer on another failed try, Repetier kept throwing a 'corrected temp...' or something error, can't remember the verbiage.   It threw 50 or 60 of these errors, it was still printing. I stopped it.  I had it assigned to port 5, I changed it to 'Auto'  which both worked in the past, but the above failure was with an SD card and no external connections. 
I think if it was a part failure, the temp would drift down to the failure point, but these temps are all over less than 1 or 2 seconds each and the machine didn't fail, again I stopped it but it had printed 3 layers of a small part. 
Maybe if I get brave tomorrow or so, I'll take apart one of the E3D's I have (v6 & Lite) and swap the heat element and the thermistor... Who knows???

Ender 3 Pro

honestly, almost sounds like a power issue to me..

and not necessarily the psu itself, but maybe broken wires? as in, as the head moves around it is contacting, then not contacting internally

easy test.. turn it on, set the temp, then wiggle wires around while watching the log output.. if it is broken wires, you should be able to recreate the errors without it actually running a print

19 (edited by Ski52 2021-09-14 00:52:32)

Well, I took it all apart again and found what might be causing the temp fluctuation - see the pic (I hope). 

http://soliforum.com/i/?VpUUz6r.jpg

When I got the thermistor screw out, you could see some 'leakage' on both sides, probably indicative of shorting to ground.  Also the heater wires look a little 'crunchy'.   
I did what Heartless suggested - ran it to 191 and steered it all around the build platform - no problem. 
I'm done with scooching with this, I just ordered a handful (3) of 24V 40W heaters and thermistors from Amazon for 9.00.  Be here tomorrow.

More later...

Ender 3 Pro

Carl Wrote:
Make sure the thermistor is tight and has not worked loose. Same for heat cartridge. While heating move heater wires around and see if temp changes. Is there a draft or open window. Are you running the layer fan higher than normal? When was the last time you ran an auto PID?

Looks like you found the issue !!!!

You could upgrade to one of these
https://store.micro-swiss.com/products/ … -for-cr-10

The thermistor was not loose at all. I do recall a thermal runaway, actually overheat,  I caused a couple of months ago that probably started the thermistor's demise.
If you look at it, what comes with it is all metal, not as pretty, but no plastic.  $63.xx is a little much with no electronics. I am gonna ask a couple of friends if they can fabricate a mount of some type to affix either E3D's I have to the Ender. Maybe, who knows.  I have all the parts for a direct drive also.  I gotta see first if the a heating element and thermistor solves the problem, otherwise it's a motherboard, and I don't have much luck with 3D motherboerds, it's not the boards, it's the firmware.  (And I was a programmer for over 17 years... go figure)

Ender 3 Pro

22 (edited by Ski52 2021-09-19 03:24:53)

EUREKA!!!  kinda - sorta...
Busy week, but finally got around to adding some wire to both the heat element and the thermister - both too short.  Also changing the plug on the thermister.  Printed some small test things and a few wire clips to clean up the wiring mess.  Came out OK.
After much reading - I always tightened the thermister screw down.  Find out now, the general consensus is to tighten it just until it starts to squash the insulation then stop and put a piece of Kaptan tape over it to stop the screw from backing out.  Am trying that.  I will say though, with the new heater, it heats from 27C (ambient) to 191C in ~1min 33sec. 
Now, if that solves the problem, what caused the communication errors?  Got commo errors all by themselves, also got 'mintemp' errors with no commo errors.  None so far.  I mentioned I believe this thing was designed to use Cura and a mini SD card - both of which I dislike...
So, it stays on the desk as opposed to the trash can - for a while - we'll see...

Ender 3 Pro

communication and mintemp errors are unrelated...

mintemp errors were most likely caused by the bad thermistor

communication errors are most commonly caused by usb issues.. so i would not rule them out & "fixed" completely just yet.
new usb cable might resolve things if they come back... and worst case scenario is the usb port on the printer might be going south. This is what happened to my original SD4 with the stock Printrboard. I had to replace the board on that one, and went with something better when i did.

Heartless -

communication and mintemp errors are unrelated...

I agree somewhat but I may have to argue some there.  I've been printing 10 - 14 hours a day for almost a week and no errors what-so-ever.  I've changed nothing in the computer. Some how, I believe the printer was causing the commo disrupt error.  I don't get the Samsung phone error either.  The print quality seems noticeably better also, I have no idea how, but I did unplug and replug just about every wire in the thing.
At any rate, I really need to save whatever I have that is any good and blitz this entire version of winbloz.  Besides it being an original install 7 - 8 years ago, Windows Insider has a beta copy of Win 11.  So it won't be long before we have another nightmare to try and deal with. 
What did you replace your Printrboards with, and was it much grief.  I still have the Doodle and a new motherboard that I can get it and the printer to light up, but that's it.  Told ya me and Arduino do not get along.

Ender 3 Pro

i used the Rumba board on my SD4s, and was actually quite easy.

hardest part is some of the connectors need to be changed.. like the thermistors and endstops - everything else has screw terminals.

do keep in mind, it was over 6 yrs ago that i did the 1st one.. and at that time, there were not as many options as there are now.

but I am quite happy with the Rumba, been a good board