Re: Extruder Temp Drops

Well... things were going along fine - just too fine I guess.  I'm printing letters for who knows what for the little girl across the street.  You can see by the pic, I hope, other letters and a few others not in the pic are OK, in fact good.  It started this krap earlier.  This is 2 perimeters and layer 1.  It hits the corners and sounds like a plugged nozzle, and then moves on to the straight runs.  I have run a length of cleaning filament thru it til clear, and the purple is the third roll of PLA I've tried.  Have tried temps from 185 - 220, all the same.  It had a thorough cleaning yesterday and a new nozzle.  Printed 4 letters yesterday and 1 this morning before this happened.  There are no changes to anything other than filament between the good and the bad.

http://soliforum.com/i/?HTgrtUN.jpg

Repetier is not happy either... I get a string of: 
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00 Count X:0 Y:0 Z:0

Then I get bout 15 - 20 of
echo: too long extrusion prevented

I did get an Anycubic resin printer and Wash and Cure thing I'll post about when I figure out more about it.

Ender 3 Pro

Ski52 wrote:

Well... things were going along fine - just too fine I guess.  I'm printing letters for who knows what for the little girl across the street.  You can see by the pic, I hope, other letters and a few others not in the pic are OK, in fact good.  It started this krap earlier.  This is 2 perimeters and layer 1.  It hits the corners and sounds like a plugged nozzle, and then moves on to the straight runs.  I have run a length of cleaning filament thru it til clear, and the purple is the third roll of PLA I've tried.  Have tried temps from 185 - 220, all the same.  It had a thorough cleaning yesterday and a new nozzle.  Printed 4 letters yesterday and 1 this morning before this happened.  There are no changes to anything other than filament between the good and the bad.

http://soliforum.com/i/?HTgrtUN.jpg

Repetier is not happy either... I get a string of: 
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00 Count X:0 Y:0 Z:0

Then I get bout 15 - 20 of
echo: too long extrusion prevented

I did get an Anycubic resin printer and Wash and Cure thing I'll post about when I figure out more about it.

Have you confirmed what the actual hotend temp is? Many printers can display by as much as 30 degrees off. You need to get like a digital cooking thermometer or similar high temperature thermometer and actually measure your hotend at a set temp and see what it is. You also need to run an auto PID at print conditions. Layer fans. room fans, and so on need to be how they would be during a print. An IR no touch thermometer will not work for this.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

yeah, i would start with a proper reading of ACTUAL temps at the hotend, as Carl suggested

also verify there are no issues with the model itself... stranger things have happened.

could still be a wiring issue within the bundle going to the printhead. broken strands of wire inside the insulation do weird things

and last, but not least.. Material - where are you getting your filament from? Cheap materials are known to cause problems..

one last note - not really related to the issue at hand... stop printing in the exact same place on the bed every single time.. move the model to different areas of the bed before slicing. depending the print surface being used, it can wear the surface out in one area.. for best wear, you need to use all areas of the bed equally.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Well, to make all think about it again, this is what happens after - "...screw it, shut everything off, (I normally never shut the computers off), go to Wally World and fight with that crowd, come home, drink a beer or 3, turn it all on again, touch nothing and mash "PRINT"...

http://soliforum.com/i/?UbSNaPU.jpg

I really think 95% of my problems are caused by a 7-8 year old copy of Winbloz.  Need to dump it and start over, reinstall, not upgrade.  I'm getting a lot of little nit-noid problems, like the phone giving me 10 - 15 error msgs, and it aint even plugged in, and I cannot convert any type of graphic file to a jpeg from any program - 'unable to create file'??  The list goes on.

Oh, it may not look it, but that is a glass bed.  I put it over the original padding that was in between the magnetic pad and the base and if you notice there are no clips holding it in place - it aint coming off...

I've had the Anycubic pair for almost a week, all I can tell ya is they light up.  Aint used them yet.

Sorry to be so long winded...

Ender 3 Pro

Ski52 wrote:

Well, to make all think about it again, this is what happens after - "...screw it, shut everything off, (I normally never shut the computers off), go to Wally World and fight with that crowd, come home, drink a beer or 3, turn it all on again, touch nothing and mash "PRINT"...

http://soliforum.com/i/?UbSNaPU.jpg

I really think 95% of my problems are caused by a 7-8 year old copy of Winbloz.  Need to dump it and start over, reinstall, not upgrade.  I'm getting a lot of little nit-noid problems, like the phone giving me 10 - 15 error msgs, and it aint even plugged in, and I cannot convert any type of graphic file to a jpeg from any program - 'unable to create file'??  The list goes on.

Oh, it may not look it, but that is a glass bed.  I put it over the original padding that was in between the magnetic pad and the base and if you notice there are no clips holding it in place - it aint coming off...

I've had the Anycubic pair for almost a week, all I can tell ya is they light up.  Aint used them yet.

Sorry to be so long winded...

Testing if the computer is the issue or not is very easy. Just print the file live over USB which you should not do. Then print the same file, same settings, from an sdcard. Still didn't see if you checked to confirm the reported temp was correct or not.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Testing if the computer is the issue or not is very easy. Just print the file live over USB which you should not do. Then print the same file, same settings, from an sdcard. Still didn't see if you checked to confirm the reported temp was correct or not.

and why, pray tell, should you not do so??
I have been printing that way since I started, I don't foresee changing that any time soon, and I don't have any problems doing so.

And Ski.. you should turn your computer off if it is not being used.. there is NO reason to leave it on 24/7 anymore, and has not been any reason to do so since at least Win98.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

and why, pray tell, should you not do so??
I have been printing that way since I started, I don't foresee changing that any time soon, and I don't have any problems doing so.

And Ski.. you should turn your computer off if it is not being used.. there is NO reason to leave it on 24/7 anymore, and has not been any reason to do so since at least Win98.

If you are running windows 10 and you have let it update then you are now to the point that you can no longer control when it updates and when it restarts. If it restarts while the printer is running it can cause that USB port to reset. On some printer logic this will lock the controller up resulting in no longer monitoring temps and the heaters on full. Thermal runaway will not work since the logic is not running and the things will heat up and continue to do so till something burns. A hotend heater if allowed to can reach temps that will melt an aluminum heat block. I used to print over USB as well until Win10 has screwed me a few times. Once resulting in a new hotend.

LOL, then perhaps you should have specified Win10 (or above - 11 is out there now)
I still run Win7 for running the printers. No problems. wink