Topic: Help with putting e3d v6 in solidoodle 4

Hey guys. I'm trying to put my e3d v6 in my solidoodle 4. I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with the wiring. The fan and thermistor are normal little connectors, but the heat thing is just these 2 thick wires with these weird thick pins. I have no clue how to connect these or what I need to buy. I could technically solder them to the little red plug for my stock wiring./ But idk what the norm to do is, the little wiki guides I found didnt really touch on this stuff. On the board theres this 4 pin connector that goes to the red and blue stock plugs, so the easiest option would be to solder to those. But idk if thats what I should do or not. And I dont know where to plug the fan in so that it will properly cool the v6. I havent tried any firmware stuff but I did see the thread on that so I shouldnt need help with that yet. I just wanted to get everything plugged in first. Thanks for any help.

Re: Help with putting e3d v6 in solidoodle 4

do not use that little red plug, run that wiring all the way to the control board
yes, it is kind of a pain in the butt, but it is the correct way to install

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

do not use that little red plug, run that wiring all the way to the control board
yes, it is kind of a pain in the butt, but it is the correct way to install

Ok thanks I had a feeling that would be the case. So my question is then, how do I plug it into the board? The spot on the board that the old ones connected to was a 4 pin plug that was the thermistor and heater. Mine are separate, and the heater just has these 2 fat cables. Am I supposed to buy something to turn those into a 4 pin plug or am I missing something?

what board do you have?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

SD4 so it’s most likely a Printrboard.  Only pins, no screw terminals so you’ll need to figure out how to crimp connectors on the wires.  You could solder direct to the board but I wouldn’t recommend it.  You could also just cut the old wires from the connector and splice to the new wires.  Problem is those connectors weren’t great to start with.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Ok ignore my thing about how its a 4 pin thing for my extruder, that was the stepper motor for the extruder.

It says Rev E board on it, is the stock solidoodle 4 board. I'd rather not need to replace it at the moment, with my better carriages and new hot end I should be relatively happy with it as is.

I found where the hot end plugs in, but its still just the red 2 pin plug. So I need some way to make my 2 big pins of the hot end go to that I think. Is there some adapter or did people just solder. Id really prefer to not solder to the board, so I need something that plugs in. Less risk of damage and things that can go wrong.

airsoftwarrior345 wrote:

Ok ignore my thing about how its a 4 pin thing for my extruder, that was the stepper motor for the extruder.

It says Rev E board on it, is the stock solidoodle 4 board. I'd rather not need to replace it at the moment, with my better carriages and new hot end I should be relatively happy with it as is.

I found where the hot end plugs in, but its still just the red 2 pin plug. So I need some way to make my 2 big pins of the hot end go to that I think. Is there some adapter or did people just solder. Id really prefer to not solder to the board, so I need something that plugs in. Less risk of damage and things that can go wrong.

As long as the wires are similar diameter you could just splice the new wires to the the old wires and connector.
But Heartless is our Solidoodle Expert so wait for her response.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I know the board and the printer and it seems you may have missed where I said you could cut and splice.  So yes as Carl also suggested.  Simply cut the wires a couple inches from the board plug and splice the new wires to the old wires.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Sorry wardjr I missed your response. The stock wires are super thin crappy ones, and the e3d has super thick ones. Does this kill splicing or can I still just splice them? I can also solder them if necessary, I've just always hated soldering haha.

LOL, yeah, wardjr would be the expert here, not I, since he is the one that taught me most of what I know. wink but yes, I agree with what he said..

I asked about board because they do get changed... =P

Yes, you can splice into the stock wires - as close to the board as possible - but it is not an ideal situation.
ideally, you would get a new connector, and make a proper connection with the new wires... but I also get that this is not always feasible.

Look up how to make a "western union splice" and make sure you do a good job of it. Don't be sloppy here - that is how fires get started. Heat shrink is your best friend for this job, too, not tape.

and it is more about the actual wire diameter not the insulation diameter..

You can splice them. The plug itself will be the week link.  Keep an eye on things and as long as nothing gets warm at your plug or splice then it will be fine.  The stock hot end heater draws the same amperage as your new E3d.  Just make sure that you are splicing to the correct wires and not to the thermistor wires.  If in doubt, post a picture and we will help you through it.

12 (edited by airsoftwarrior345 2021-01-01 05:50:12)

Its been a long night, but I got it working. As usual, its the little things that blow a ton of my time. I had some issues flashing but then got it working. Everything seems to be set up and working. Sadly its almost 1 AM so I cant do a test print. Eventually I need to print the lawsy tension arm and add my hobgoblin gear I got. But if its printign well without those I wontr bother for a while haha. I somehow take ages to do these little projects because I run into so many issues. so if its not needed I wont bother. But, the E3d V6 should be a pretty big upgrade so I think it was worth it.

Thanks for the help guys, it means a lot. And happy new year.

Hopefully I don't have to re post tomorow to get help on an issue I have tomorrow while testing it haha.

glad you got it up and running, but, fair warning, you will most likely see moire (regular diagonal pattern)

I was kind of disillusioned when I first got an E3d - what I saw initially was not at all what I expected - but I got over it, LOL

heartless wrote:

glad you got it up and running, but, fair warning, you will most likely see moire (regular diagonal pattern)

I was kind of disillusioned when I first got an E3d - what I saw initially was not at all what I expected - but I got over it, LOL

Can't moire be tuned out with proper vref?

15 (edited by heartless 2021-01-02 03:56:25)

carl_m1968 wrote:
heartless wrote:

Can't moire be tuned out with proper vref?

yes and no, LOL
Vref is a big part of it but you can only go so far with that alone.

I had to upgrade from a 4988 (1/16th stepping) to an 8825 (1/32nd stepping) stepper driver for E to get rid of mine..

airsoftwarrior345 might be able to do it with the hobgoblin (since he already has that on hand, it would be worth a shot)

So I finally did some test prints. I've been putting it off expecting something to go wrong lol. So it does work decently. But yes, I do have moire issues haha.

Heres my second test print
https://imgur.com/a/lKn0ZAf

It came out ok. My first came out exceptionally bad. But the first was also printed in larger layers and I accidentally made it 100% infill (the last thing I printed before that was my e3d v6 mount at 100% abs). The first looked like the really bad first few layers on my linked above. Except it was all the layers.

The higher layers are less bad but theres obvious moire going on. Are the really bad looking early layers just moire also but to an extreme or does it look like something else?

So while I'm here. About putting the hobgoblin gear in. I did look at this post
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/11465/e3d-hobb-goblin/
So a couple questions. I'm assuming I have to flash my board again? Do I just need to do what I did for the hot end but go and change the steps per mm to 285 or do I do that some other way?

Also he says in that post it doesnt work with the lawsy tension arm. I still have the stock one, I've had no issues with it so I havent replaced it lol. Will it work with the stock, and will I need a different washer like he said in the post? My goal is to figure these things out before hand so that I dont pull my printer apart just so I can figure out im missing something and have to put it back together stock lol.

you should be able to just change the e-steps in the EEPROM - no real need to reflash - providing EEPROM chitchat is enabled.

the biggest issue with the tension arm is going to be making sure the path is correct, and that there is enough tension/pressure on the filament as it feeds thru.
using the stock SD4 setup, you may need to add a washer or something under the spring to increase tension - because the hobgoblin is so much smaller in diameter, it may not have enough tension in stock form.

do you know what your current E-steps are set at? if so, then double that number initially, then calibrate properly before trying to print again.
getting the proper feed rate is important here.

in the image you shared, it looks like the first few layers are seriously over extruded, so, yeah.. you need to calibrate the e-steps

if you dont know how, just ask

18 (edited by airsoftwarrior345 2021-01-14 21:46:19)

So I finally got around to trying to put the hobb goblin in (my current projects havent needed my printer so I've been putting it off lol). I took the little screw out of the stock gear but its still firmly stuck on the shaft. Did anyone else have a similar issue and have any tips on how to get it off?

And I'm glad to know that I dont need to re flash it haha. If I even make it that far.

yeah, i had that problem.. i think they used loctite or something on them

i forget what I did exactly to get it off, but i did eventually do so..

I had to use heat and a gear puller to get mine off

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

So a little update. I finally decided to try and use my heat gun and pliers and pull it off. Which kinda worked. Theres 2 issues. I had to pull so hard with pliers that when it let go my hand went straight into the frame and I killed my thumb (I'm stupid and should have seen this one coming and worn thick gloves or something). So my thumb is now this useless bandaged thing that feels less than good and I cant use my hand for anything or my thumb hurts.

Issue 2 is in the process of my man handling I possibly killed my printer. I did partial troubleshooting. My carriage y axis was barely sliding. I pulled the x rods out separated things so I can figure out whats wrong. I got it down to that the issue is somehow related to my right y axis belts. I took the bearings out and just move that carriage (with belts) and it doesnt move well. I'm wondering if I somehow bent the thing one of the belt wheels is on or something(the black plastic one). It seems slightly tilted. Everything else looks totally normal. And theres so few issues that could be wrong. The bearings themselves slide totally fine but when its on the carriage it barely slides. Ill try it without the belts on to see if its part of the problem. But I'm not troubleshooting until I can properly use my hand haha. Too much effort right now.

This is why I've been putting off swapping my gear. I expected to somehow have an isue. And I somehow exceeded my expectations  lol...

Just want to say I got everything working and printing decently. Idk exactly what was messed up but I realigned the belts and now it is working again. Adjusted the steps per mm to 285. Added a washer to my tension spring. Seems to be working well. From my current tests, no moire. I'm getting a tad of surface roughness, like its over extruding or something, but I'm already at 75% feed rate. May lower it more for testing. But overall is working satisfactorily. Theoretically better than before my upgrades. Which is about all I can ask for. If I get any more issues you guys will know haha. Thanks for all the help I've gotten, I really appreciate it.

if you are lowering the feed rate to compensate for over extrusion, you need to recalibrate the steps/mm for the extruder - obviously the 285 is too much. This is not hard to do and essential to getting good prints. make sure to set the feed rate to 100% before doing so.
There are specific steps to get the feed rate dialed in properly. If you need help with how to do that, just ask.

So I've been trying to calibrate my printer. and, mostly have had success. Weird thing, is I dropped my steps per mm all the way down to 130, which extrudes 5 cm when I hit to print 5 cm. which is even less than I had before changing my gear, and I thought I was supposed to have to raise it with the new gear?

I've found while I get moire its significantly effected by my steps per mm, so I've been printing the thin wall tests and slightly tweaking my steps per mm to get it to a very small amount.

So my issue. I printed this small tube that printed fine the first time. I've tried printing it again, and it fails every time. It gets this awful looking artifacting, in the same exact spot every time.
https://imgur.com/a/YcvvJVU
The first is on the left. I have no idea why its not working now.

25 (edited by carl_m1968 2021-02-11 22:23:24)

airsoftwarrior345 wrote:

So I've been trying to calibrate my printer. and, mostly have had success. Weird thing, is I dropped my steps per mm all the way down to 130, which extrudes 5 cm when I hit to print 5 cm. which is even less than I had before changing my gear, and I thought I was supposed to have to raise it with the new gear?

I've found while I get moire its significantly effected by my steps per mm, so I've been printing the thin wall tests and slightly tweaking my steps per mm to get it to a very small amount.

So my issue. I printed this small tube that printed fine the first time. I've tried printing it again, and it fails every time. It gets this awful looking artifacting, in the same exact spot every time.
https://imgur.com/a/YcvvJVU
The first is on the left. I have no idea why its not working now.

You are still over extruding big time and that is 100% of this issue. Once you get your esteps calibrated so 100 or 5 equal 100 or 5 you then need to calibrate your flow rate by print a single wall cube as set in your slicer, not designed that way. If your flaw rate is right then the walls of the cube should be .42mm thick.