Topic: So I killed my board. What are the latest/best upgrade options

I have a SD4, just upgraded to the e3D V6.  The prints then became wavy after the v6, so as I attempted to adjust the trimpots I must've shorted something out when measuring the voltage with the multimeter, because now the USB port no longer is recognized as connected.  So now it appears that I need a new board.  I'm a developer so I'm software savvy, but not hardware, not as much.  What are the best options to upgrade the board with that are close to plug and play (no soldering needed) but that also allow for better prints over the Printrboard? 

**I know there are other threads on this, but a lot of them are a few years old, so I wanted to make sure I'm getting a current answer smile

Re: So I killed my board. What are the latest/best upgrade options

kgkern01 wrote:

I have a SD4, just upgraded to the e3D V6.  The prints then became wavy after the v6, so as I attempted to adjust the trimpots I must've shorted something out when measuring the voltage with the multimeter, because now the USB port no longer is recognized as connected.  So now it appears that I need a new board.  I'm a developer so I'm software savvy, but not hardware, not as much.  What are the best options to upgrade the board with that are close to plug and play (no soldering needed) but that also allow for better prints over the Printrboard? 

**I know there are other threads on this, but a lot of them are a few years old, so I wanted to make sure I'm getting a current answer smile

The Rumba is the one most sworn by and used by many SD users. Just make sure it is an authentic Rumba and not a clone.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

How do I tell if it's authentic RUMBA?  Will I need a new power supply as well?

kgkern01 wrote:

How do I tell if it's authentic RUMBA?  Will I need a new power supply as well?

You buy it from RepRap who is the original designer and manufacturer.

it will run on 12 to 35 volts so unless you just want more current for overhead or future expansion your current supply should be Ok. Personally I will not use any supply on printer that cannot handle 30 amps minimum.

http://www.reprapdiscount.com/electroni … board.html

the genuine Rumba is still a very reliable replacement board. make sure you order some stepper drivers as well.
4988 are fine for the X, Y & Z axis, but I highly recommend an 8825 for the E

there will be a couple of connectors that will need to be changed - endstops for sure. Not difficult to do, but be aware of it.
Motors can be run to the screw terminals (Rumba has both screw terminals and pins to plug into for the stepper motors), so no worries about connectors there.

hot end and bed heater are also screw terminals, so again, no worries about connectors

Thermistors may also need to have different ends put on.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I have two machines running Azteeg X5 minis and am very happy with them. Smoothie based.

justsomeguy wrote:

I have two machines running Azteeg X5 minis and am very happy with them. Smoothie based.

Those are very good boards. I swear by them even thought they are bit higher priced. Very good quality. I have an X3 and and an X5GT. I also have his Viki I and Viki II LCD's. Thinking about putting the GT on my 4MAX at some point. I love working with Smoothie. So much better laid out Firmware and much easier to find and change settings.

There are the boards from Ultra machine    https://ultimachine.com/   the boards have th drivers built in so no changing out drivers  top quality IIRC made in usa these are the boards used on the real prusa machines,

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Ordered the RUMBA, how long did shipping take for those of you that ordered it from RepRapDiscount, which appears to be Hong Kong?

kgkern01 wrote:

Ordered the RUMBA, how long did shipping take for those of you that ordered it from RepRapDiscount, which appears to be Hong Kong?

Did you order drivers as Heartless mentioned? It might not be bad idea to get them as well new just in case the one you shorted could be bad as well.

Yeah I've already got the drivers in, I bought a 5 pk of 4988 and 1 8825 drivers.  Just waiting on the board, no update on shipping on the order status from last week, so I was just curious how long it took you guys to get it in.

If I remember it was just over 2 weeks for my last order from RRD.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

13 (edited by kgkern01 2019-10-08 15:41:58)

wardjr wrote:

If I remember it was just over 2 weeks for my last order from RRD.

Ok cool, that's not too bad for international.  I'm excited to get the new board in and hopefully be able to get some good smooth prints going again!

14 (edited by kgkern01 2019-10-09 13:38:35)

Its out for delivery today. smile So now that I have the drivers and will have the RUMBA board when I get home from work today.  What are the next steps to setting it up? 
I know I need to install the stepper drivers on the board, and wire everything up.  My question is more around the firmware and settings for the new board.

Other than the E3D V6 and now the Rumba, it is otherwise a stock SD4.

kgkern01 wrote:

Its out for delivery today. smile So now that I have the drivers and will have the RUMBA board when I get home from work today.  What are the next steps to setting it up? 
I know I need to install the stepper drivers on the board, and wire everything up.  My question is more around the firmware and settings for the new board.

Other than the E3D V6 and now the Rumba, it is otherwise a stock SD4.

There is a Repetier firmware builder online if you want to use Repetier. You just put in all the data it ask for and it will fill in the values then allow you to download the firmware set up as requested. If you want Marlin you will need to figure out the values.

The main values are homing directions, steps per mm for each axis, esteps for extruder, limit switches inverted or not, high temp limit, low temp limit. If you already know the values of your current firmware it would be a good starting point.

For Marlin https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta

Select SD3 and the correct board and hot end thermistor.  Set max temp to 280 for a V6.  Everything else is basically set for your machine.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Ok, it seems that I have everything working except for the z-home.  When I M119 holding the z stop switch down it shows triggered, but when I hit Z home in Repetier it hits the stop and keeps grinding up against it and the extruder tip.  Home works fine for X and Y, but just not Z.  Any suggestions?

kgkern01 wrote:

Ok, it seems that I have everything working except for the z-home.  When I M119 holding the z stop switch down it shows triggered, but when I hit Z home in Repetier it hits the stop and keeps grinding up against it and the extruder tip.  Home works fine for X and Y, but just not Z.  Any suggestions?

Check homing direction is correct check switch is connected to correct port, min or max.

http://soliforum.com/i/?RtmCoV4.jpg

wardjr wrote:

http://soliforum.com/i/?RtmCoV4.jpg

Why the jumper on the unused ports Ward?

Specific to the version of Marlin I linked earlier.  That’s a very old picture and a simple way to get the job done if not wanting to change the firmware.

22 (edited by heartless 2019-10-13 14:42:49)

yup, get some kind of jumper on the unused pins.. I used the same type of jumpers that are used on the stepper driver pins..

http://soliforum.com/i/?IDwGz3f.jpg

i also used some old computer case wiring to extend the thermistor wires wink

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I had the Z stop on Z+, switched it to Z- like the above images, and that fixed it.  Now the only thing I think I have left to get it up and running again is that when I home in Repetier, it homes correctly.  However when I load a new print, when it loads the print gcode, it tries raising Z about 5-7 or so, even though the stop is triggered, and therefore hits the extruder and pushes it into the bed, then of course I have to kill it, lower it then re-home.  I've tried changing the firmware but can't find the right setting apparently.  This wasn't an issue with the old Printrboard, so I'm not sure what I'm missing in the firmware to fix it raising the bed and crashing into the extruder when the print loads?

kgkern01 wrote:

I had the Z stop on Z+, switched it to Z- like the above images, and that fixed it.  Now the only thing I think I have left to get it up and running again is that when I home in Repetier, it homes correctly.  However when I load a new print, when it loads the print gcode, it tries raising Z about 5-7 or so, even though the stop is triggered, and therefore hits the extruder and pushes it into the bed, then of course I have to kill it, lower it then re-home.  I've tried changing the firmware but can't find the right setting apparently.  This wasn't an issue with the old Printrboard, so I'm not sure what I'm missing in the firmware to fix it raising the bed and crashing into the extruder when the print loads?

Are you slicing the file based on the current settings of the machine or are you using a file that has been previously sliced. If it is doing this once the gcode is activated then it is in the startup gcode and is most likely and offset value in there.

when you hit the print button in RH, it is supposed to drop down first, re-home X & Y, then re-home Z before actually starting a print.
So, something is not set right somewhere.

The ONLY things that should have been changed in the firmware you were linked to above are the board designation (#define MOTHERBOARD 80), and the thermistor table number to go with the E3D (#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5) - those are the only 2 things you needed to change.
If you changed other things as well, I would go back and re-download a fresh copy from the link - ONLY change those two things, and re-upload to the board.