Re: what 3d printer should i get

Not to burst your bubble but this is a Chinese machine.
I see no usa suprt for it . about the only protection you will get if you buy from amazon you can return it. if you go to the quidi web page you will find firmware to be a dead link. the only support seems to be through e mail.  In other words expect no support the link I found for parts were e- packet from china https://store3dprinters.com/product/qid … therboard/
you can get mother boards but who knows what drivers they are using. the one plus I see is you can plug in regular replacements.

whatever printer you decide on make sure parts are available . make sure firmware is available and you can adjust as needed and make sure there is some kind of real support.

Seriosly if you are going to put out a grand for a printer you need to KNOW it works. You need to know where to get parts and you need to have accessibility to firmware.
Pthe prussa is the most copied printer out there. And I have never heard any serious complains about one.

It uses standard available parts.

take a real good look at a prusa and the company before you shell out the doe.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

A note of caution the us  customs limit  customs free from Praug Check republic is $ 800 usd. so one can purchase a kit printer from joe prussa customs free.  add anything else to the order and you will be over the limit.

if you want a preassembled kit it will cost an additional 32 USD in customs fees.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

spikymonster wrote:

Tin falcon I was looking at the monoprice stuff didnt like something about them (been looking at so many right now I cant remember)

I am really likeing the qidi x-plus they have alot of good reviews from everywhere im looking they are also versityle on the philiment and have a air purifier so i could do other materials like carbon fiber that have a stronger oder and i wont have to listen to my girl friend bitching

1. Don't go just by reviews - that is a fools errand. Reviews can be bought (and many are, especially when looking at those Chinese printers) - Look for a community of actual users - forums like this, facebook groups, etc - and get a feel for what they like or dislike about a specific machine.

2. I agree with Tin Falcon - make sure that whatever machine you decide on, replacement parts are readily available to you. things like hotends/nozzles, belts, motors, boards, etc... or will you have to sit and wait for weeks for replacements to come on the slow boat? (if they are even available)

3. carbon fiber itself does not have an odor. the host material it is incorporated into will have the odor (if any)

3a. Carbon fiber materials are misleading as hell - the fibers are chopped up so small (in order to go thru the nozzle) that there is virtually no reason to use it - it is not going to make a part any stronger. Not to mention the abrasive qualities that carl_m1968 mentions.. It is little more than a marketing gimmick.. "look! you can print in carbon fiber! wow!"

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Tin Falcon wrote:

Not to burst your bubble but this is a Chinese machine.
I see no usa suprt for it . about the only protection you will get if you buy from amazon you can return it. if you go to the quidi web page you will find firmware to be a dead link. the only support seems to be through e mail.  In other words expect no support the link I found for parts were e- packet from china https://store3dprinters.com/product/qid … therboard/
you can get mother boards but who knows what drivers they are using. the one plus I see is you can plug in regular replacements.

whatever printer you decide on make sure parts are available . make sure firmware is available and you can adjust as needed and make sure there is some kind of real support.

Seriosly if you are going to put out a grand for a printer you need to KNOW it works. You need to know where to get parts and you need to have accessibility to firmware.
Pthe prussa is the most copied printer out there. And I have never heard any serious complains about one.

It uses standard available parts.

take a real good look at a prusa and the company before you shell out the doe.

Uncle chuck's is a US distributor for parts for Qidi, Wanhai, and many of the other similar clones. They have a Facebook group as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

heartless wrote:
spikymonster wrote:

Tin falcon I was looking at the monoprice stuff didnt like something about them (been looking at so many right now I cant remember)

I am really likeing the qidi x-plus they have alot of good reviews from everywhere im looking they are also versityle on the philiment and have a air purifier so i could do other materials like carbon fiber that have a stronger oder and i wont have to listen to my girl friend bitching

1. Don't go just by reviews - that is a fools errand. Reviews can be bought (and many are, especially when looking at those Chinese printers) - Look for a community of actual users - forums like this, facebook groups, etc - and get a feel for what they like or dislike about a specific machine.

2. I agree with Tin Falcon - make sure that whatever machine you decide on, replacement parts are readily available to you. things like hotends/nozzles, belts, motors, boards, etc... or will you have to sit and wait for weeks for replacements to come on the slow boat? (if they are even available)

3. carbon fiber itself does not have an odor. the host material it is incorporated into will have the odor (if any)

3a. Carbon fiber materials are misleading as hell - the fibers are chopped up so small (in order to go thru the nozzle) that there is virtually no reason to use it - it is not going to make a part any stronger. Not to mention the abrasive qualities that carl_m1968 mentions.. It is little more than a marketing gimmick.. "look! you can print in carbon fiber! wow!"

Yep CF filament is just like woodfill. Where wood fill is PLA with sawdust added CF is the same with CF powder. It won't even look like CF. It will just be grainy black PLA. You also need at minimum a .40 nozzle or larger so the filler particles won't clog it. Never try to print a filled filament on a .2 nozzle or eve a .3 either. They will clog.

31 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-08-10 01:05:59)

It appears uncle chucks is temporarily out of business while they complete a move. According the Facebook page they should be up and running by july.Would not be a bad idea to call before placing any orders.

You may want to read this article. while there may be some legitimate concern about odors and particle IMHO the whole filtered encloses is mostly marketing hype look here
https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news … enclosures
a fan and and open window will do wonders for indoor odors and pollution dilution is the solution to pollution .

The enclosed printers are pretty and neat. the Prussa is a quality workhorse. your dime your choice.

33 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-08-11 13:21:15)

Please do not feel I am pushing you in any direction . I simply want you to get the most quality possible for your money. If it is the lack of enclosure that is keeping you from a prussa look here  I know a pre assembled machine and this kit is stretching you budged a bit. https://www.printedsolid.com/collection … a-printers

it would not take much to add a fan and a carbon filter  Again no pressure just options. your dime your decision . As fr as printed solid I am friends with the previous owner and still stop by the store when I can and I purchase from them. I do not make a dime off any sales.

a possible carbon filter you could add.
https://www.electroluxappliances.com/Fi … ;gclsrc=ds

Tin Falcon wrote:

It appears uncle chucks is temporarily out of business while they complete a move. According the Facebook page they should be up and running by july.Would not be a bad idea to call before placing any orders.

You just have not found the link for his new site yet. It's on the Facebook page, i just don't remember where.

I think he gave it to me when I asked when they would reopen it.

http://unclechucks3dprinterstuff.com/OI … /index.htm

According to his Facebook page the business will be up and running by may 31. the link on that page appears dead.
I did find the page you sent